News Eddie Betts outta here - every day I get in the queue to get on the bus that takes me to you (too much, Magic Bus)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn - tell champion players like hodge, mitchell, Lewis, Roughy (who chose not to act on it) they cant guarantee them a contract beyond the next year and of they have offers for longer they wont stand in their way if they want to take it ... Strong club, making calls that need to be made, win-win for all parties.

Adelaide - tells Eddie Betts they cant guarantee them a contract beyond the next year and of they have offers for longer they wont stand in their way if they want to take it...terrible culture, sky has fallen and is suffocating everyone

1) My point is the way people carry on with using the comment "service to the club", its like our players volunteer their time, they are paid extremely well for what they do.
2) Eddie has been great, but the club has also been great for Eddie as he has really elevated his game and career especially in 2015/16/17.
Thanks.
1) agree totally. Paid extremely well.
2) I don't know how "great" the club has been for him.
Eddie peaked in those years aged 29/30/31, for sure, but that's due to his hard work and skill improvement, surely? The ways he paddles the ball about, stops it and changes direction to his advantage is mercurial, ingenious. I don't think I've seen another small forward as clever as that and I've been a footy fan for 50+ years.

Hawthorn - tell champion players like hodge, mitchell, Lewis, Roughy (who chose not to act on it) they cant guarantee them a contract beyond the next year and of they have offers for longer they wont stand in their way if they want to take it ... Strong club, making calls that need to be made, win-win for all parties.
Adelaide - tells Eddie Betts they cant guarantee them a contract beyond the next year and of they have offers for longer they wont stand in their way if they want to take it...terrible culture, sky has fallen and is suffocating everyone
Very good point
BUT
there are other things about Hawthorn that make them such a strong Club, which Adelaide lack.
Clarko, for one. Multiple recent Premierships, too :) .

The Eddie Betts news really weeds out the enthusiasts from the casuals. The people getting outraged by this don't have a clue. That being said, there are still plenty of legitimate reasons to be annoyed at the club right now.

We refuse to own the situation, that's the problem. We keep saying "he's contracted for 2020, he's going to be here" and it'll just piss people off even more when be eventually does get traded. Be open, be honest about it, it's not difficult, but the club is so damn obsessed with not giving the media anything they can't even do that.

We refuse to own the situation, that's the problem. We keep saying "he's contracted for 2020, he's going to be here" and it'll just piss people off even more when be eventually does get traded. Be open, be honest about it, it's not difficult, but the club is so damn obsessed with not giving the media anything they can't even do that.
Why?

This is completely Eddie's decision and Eddie's decision only.
If he gets traded it will be because he wants to be traded.

If we lose Eddie it'll be yet another sign of us mis-reading our list. Eddie's not the problem. We crabwalk the ball down to the forward 50, neither of our big forwards give a contest in the air, and we blame Eddie for not kicking 50-60 goals! He may not be quite what he was 2 years ago but he's still our most dangerous forward.
He's loved by everyone, kids idolise him and yet we're not prepared to give him an extra year on his contract. FFS! The list management at the Crows is the problem. Not Eddie.

If we lose Eddie it'll be yet another sign of us mis-reading our list. Eddie's not the problem. We crabwalk the ball down to the forward 50, neither of our big forwards give a contest in the air, and we blame Eddie for not kicking 50-60 goals! He may not be quite what he was 2 years ago but he's still our most dangerous forward.
He's loved by everyone, kids idolise him and yet we're not prepared to give him an extra year on his contract. FFS! The list management at the Crows is the problem. Not Eddie.
Completely disagree with this, with Tyson Stengle, Ned McHenry, and Shane McAdam waiting in the wings no way should the Crows be giving a 33 year old Betts another year on top of 2020. He's been great for the club but the time has come [2020] to move on to other options.

So Carlton have already been pi**ing in Betts' ear while he under contract with still year to run.

Mick Malthouse will be outraged and the integrity unit should be mobilised.

I don't think there's any rules that stops clubs and player's agents discussing potential offers throughout the year. There's definitely a short period where they can come to terms, but they're free to talk amongst themselves all year.

This is what I mean when I say the Eddie Betts thing really weeds out the casuals from the enthusiasts. You're flying into a rage and you don't even know understand what is actually going on.

I spoke to Eddie at the show Sunday night he signed 2 of his books for me 'My Kind' and 'My People'
People in line were begging him to stay and saying my son or daughter loves you hell I love you, he looked really uncomfortable he was super polite and geniune when thanking everyone for their support but people were pleading quite aggressively.

It got to me and I just said 'Eddie, mate you have bought my family and I so much joy over the years thanks for being you, you're doing wonderful things for the community and Im really proud and whatever happens next we'll all still support you and your endeavours'
He was a bit taken back purely cos it was the first time someone wasn't begging and He said 'Thank you so much for the love and support I really appreciate it and to be honest i really don't know what's happening next'

I believed him when he said I don't know what's happening

I was there too and got to speak to him very briefly. Just gave him my best and thanked him for being at the club - I also told him about this thread and reinforced that when others like myself refer to his 'magic', its praise and worship of the highest order

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) We crabwalk the ball down to the forward 50,
2) neither of our big forwards give a contest in the air, and we blame Eddie for not kicking 50-60 goals!
3) He may not be quite what he was 2 years ago but he's still our most dangerous forward.
4) He's loved by everyone, kids idolise him and yet we're not prepared to give him an extra year on his contract.
1) YES! It's one of the most infuriating aspects to our game. They've been trying to do-a-Hawthorn @ their peak years when they played possession footy better than anyone, but the Hawks kicked short forward, with excellent skill. Against the Bulldogs, I watched the Crows go from LHB across to RHB, then back again, then back AGAIN, then kicked long to the Western wing where it was intercepted. 2 possessions later, and the Bulldogs had another goal.
2) Not true. I remember several good marks taken by Tex, also Greenwood, and JJ as well when he was 'on'. Eddie's role was as crumbing forward --- but he often went for the hanger/MOTY contender. I don't blame Eddie for not kicking 50-60 goals. I blame point #1 above and other poor delivery I50.
3) Yes, always looks dangerous when near the ball and attracts a good defender.
4) Yes, and yes again, but there's a reason for no contract post-2020. He's contracted for 2020 and the Club only ever gives one-year extensions after contracts' end to players over 30. Eddie got a good deal when his contract was extended to 2020, and we got a top forward in return, but declining performances last 2 years.

It's not, he's contracted, the Crows ultimately decide what'll happen. They keep pretending nothing will though.
Disagree, if Eddie indicates he wants to go to another club for a better deal term wise [2 years] I'll bet good money the club will do everything in their power to fulfil his wishes provided that club is also fair with their recompense for a contracted player.

I'm thinking about the kind of man Betts appears to be --- honest, loyal, happy/cheerful/optimistic, a real trier who's overcome more than his share of knocks, a wonderful role model and other qualities. His energy was infectious; his magical skills jaw-dropping. His teammates and even opposition sometimes stood and watched in awe.
There's something wrong.
Something has happened, or some things, that have beaten him down to the extent that he's become disenchanted and no longer beams with joy and love for the game when playing with the Crows.
Watch the look of despair on his face in the 2017GF, second quarter, when he was held by the arm (a Richmond dirty-tactic speciality) and not awarded the most blatant of obvious free kicks.

I've seen that unhappy look many times since, though no doubt for different reasons.
I'd love to know what they are. I hope he writes his autobiography soon, to tell his side of the story and end all speculation, so that we'll all know what's happened.
Whatever he does, wherever he goes, good luck Eddie, all the best!

It wouldn't surprise me if Eddie is disenchanted or outright bloody frustrated with the ever-changing forward set-ups and the kamikaze game plan we had for most of the year. His input into the review (if he has any at all) will be very valuable

I'm thinking about the kind of man Betts appears to be --- honest, loyal, happy/cheerful/optimistic, a real trier who's overcome more than his share of knocks, a wonderful role model and other qualities. His energy was infectious; his magical skills jaw-dropping. His teammates and even opposition sometimes stood and watched in awe.
There's something wrong.
Something has happened, or some things, that have beaten him down to the extent that he's become disenchanted and no longer beams with joy and love for the game when playing with the Crows.
Watch the look of despair on his face in the 2017GF, second quarter, when he was held by the arm (a Richmond dirty-tactic speciality) and not awarded the most blatant of obvious free kicks.

I've seen that unhappy look many times since, though no doubt for different reasons.
I'd love to know what they are. I hope he writes his autobiography soon, to tell his side of the story and end all speculation, so that we'll all know what's happened.
Whatever he does, wherever he goes, good luck Eddie, all the best!
I have been beating this drum for awhile couldn’t agree with you more

Disagree, if Eddie indicates he wants to go to another club for a better deal term wise [2 years] I'll bet good money the club will do everything in their power to fulfil his wishes provided that club is also fair with their recompense for a contracted player.
So just say that. Don't pretend like we won't send him elsewhere if he asks, we're currently pretending like nothing will happen.

I think it's also reasonable that any discussions between Eddie and the club stay between those parties and are not played out in public - for Eddie's sake as much as anything else. There is almost nothing the club could say that was "honest and open" that would not (a) throw more fuel on the media fire and (b) bring into public things that need to stay between Eddie and the club.

So just say that.

Disagree. Why should the club be obliged to say anything at all? What purpose would it serve?

I think it's also reasonable that any discussions between Eddie and the club stay between those parties and are not played out in public - for Eddie's sake as much as anything else. There is almost nothing the club could say that was "honest and open" that would not (a) throw more fuel on the media fire and (b) bring into public things that need to stay between Eddie and the club.
The media are going to run with it regardless, as you now see happening. So we'll let that fire rage on and then be painted as liars and a basket case once he does move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back