News Eddie Betts outta here - every day I get in the queue to get on the bus that takes me to you (too much, Magic Bus)

Remove this Banner Ad

We refuse to own the situation, that's the problem. We keep saying "he's contracted for 2020, he's going to be here" and it'll just piss people off even more when be eventually does get traded. Be open, be honest about it, it's not difficult, but the club is so damn obsessed with not giving the media anything they can't even do that.

Been our problem for years now. Media management and public relations is atrocious.

Eddie was the type of bloke people went to the footy to watch, so was danger so was Bungy.
Who do we have now (if he goes) that people go to the footy to watch?
The cupboard is bare.
(Not suggesting we should be keeping him)

Don't underestimate Mookay's ability to put bums on seats.

Eddie was the type of bloke people went to the footy to watch, so was danger so was Bungy.
Who do we have now (if he goes) that people go to the footy to watch?
The cupboard is bare.
(Not suggesting we should be keeping him)
Milera could be... but he needs to be put in a set position, allowed to settle there and coached to take the game on at all costs. Also get McLeod hardcore mentoring him.

Fogarty will put bums on seats also.

This town loves a forward with swagger

I don't think there's any rules that stops clubs and player's agents discussing potential offers throughout the year. There's definitely a short period where they can come to terms, but they're free to talk amongst themselves all year.
Correct. Too bad Malthouse, Carlton and the AFL didn’t know about this when the launched an investigation into the Betts to Adelaide event...the campaigners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose Eddie it'll be yet another sign of us mis-reading our list. Eddie's not the problem. We crabwalk the ball down to the forward 50, neither of our big forwards give a contest in the air, and we blame Eddie for not kicking 50-60 goals! He may not be quite what he was 2 years ago but he's still our most dangerous forward.
He's loved by everyone, kids idolise him and yet we're not prepared to give him an extra year on his contract. FFS! The list management at the Crows is the problem. Not Eddie.

Why would we give him another year on his contract at his age when he still has a year to go? Even allowing for the fact that he's been playing in an ordinary team the past couple of years, he's still clearly in decline. His best is still very good, but we won't be seeing as much of it going forward, so why would you be committing to another year without first seeing how next year pans out? If younger players move ahead of him in the pecking order and he spends half the year in the SANFL, why would we want to be locked into another year after that? It ends up being Bryce Gibbs all over again where we have an ageing player taking up significant cap space while not even playing regular AFL football, let alone playing it at a high level.

Ideally I'd keep him, see how he goes next year then give him another year at the END of next season if form and fitness warrant it. If he has somebody willing to offer him 2 years right now and he wants to take it then let him go as long as we get fair value in the trade. He's done enough for the club that we owe him the right to take that opportunity, and we shouldn't be mortgaging our future to cling to him.

Why would we give him another year on his contract at his age when he still has a year to go? Even allowing for the fact that he's been playing in an ordinary team the past couple of years, he's still clearly in decline. His best is still very good, but we won't be seeing as much of it going forward, so why would you be committing to another year without first seeing how next year pans out? If younger players move ahead of him in the pecking order and he spends half the year in the SANFL, why would we want to be locked into another year after that? It ends up being Bryce Gibbs all over again where we have an ageing player taking up significant cap space while not even playing regular AFL football, let alone playing it at a high level.

Ideally I'd keep him, see how he goes next year then give him another year at the END of next season if form and fitness warrant it. If he has somebody willing to offer him 2 years right now and he wants to take it then let him go as long as we get fair value in the trade. He's done enough for the club that we owe him the right to take that opportunity, and we shouldn't be mortgaging our future to cling to him.

You would think the review will establish the club is greater than the individuals, Eddie will be told he has a year to run, we expect you honor it, if you want to leave we will explore the options, they secretly might want his salary gone they may not, but keep your cards close to your chest as you may get something out of it by playing poker

Very good point
BUT
there are other things about Hawthorn that make them such a strong Club, which Adelaide lack.
Clarko, for one. Multiple recent Premierships, too :) .

You omitted that Hawthorn also get (bring in) the players they require.

Eddie has been doing just fine in a dysfunctional forward line operating under a dysfunctional football department . Stay with us Eddie.

I've given this Eddie Betts situation some thought. He's given us 132 games, kicked over 300 goals (more then half of his career goals), has electrified our fans, and been a leader at the club during its highest highs of the last 20 year's, as well as its lowest lows. If he choose to go, I'm happy for him. If he chooses to stay, then i'm equally happy.

Bottom line for me, Eddie is 33 by week 1 next season, he's a club and league hero, and has absolutely earned the right to go out on his own terms! However he wants to do that, its fine by me! I'll still always love him for what he's done for this club!

[QUOTE="CrowBloke, post: 62652352, member: 181165"
4) Yes, and yes again, but there's a reason for no contract post-2020. He's contracted for 2020 and the Club only ever gives one-year extensions after contracts' end to players over 30. Eddie got a good deal when his contract was extended to 2020, and we got a top forward in return, but declining performances last 2 years.
[/QUOTE]

It is interesting that as he was about to turn 30 we decided to give him a four year contract - generally unheard of in our club and I would be very reluctant to give any player a long term contract past 30-31yo. If you are currently 28 or about to the longest contract you get is 3 years. Once you hit 30 you can tend to fall off a cliff very quickly and even more so when you have been playing since 17/18 at the highest level.

It is interesting that as he was about to turn 30 we decided to give him a four year contract - generally unheard of in our club and I would be very reluctant to give any player a long term contract past 30-31yo.
Eddie was at his peak then and the Club probably thought he'd sustain it for at least 2 years.
Kudos to Eddie's Manager + Eddie for getting that deal done, which was generally well-received by supporters at the time (Eddie's not a big man, physically, and I thought he'd be ok).
FF to 2019 and he's had 2 ordinary years by his lofty standards and is looking at 2020 being his last with only 1-year extensions after that (probably not likely). Little wonder he's scrambling for TWO years more.
I don't think the Crows have given any 33-yo a 2-year deal, have they?

Don't underestimate Mookay's ability to put bums on seats.

When you sit in the outer, you appreciate Mackay's run and carry. Its the things he does off the ball, that the TV coverage misses.

If you listen really carefully, you can hear "David, David" chants around AO when he is gut running.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back