Rumour Eddie Betts retiring at season end ??

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not surprising that some of our players may be less motivated. Our club has been on an emotional rollercoaster over the last four years.
1) Players became disillusioned with Spike and he was sacked.
2) There was a total devotion to the new coach and then.....
3) Campo takes over with a little help from Woosher and we have an emotional finals win against the Dogs only to be thumped the following week by the Hawks.
4) Neither Campo nor Woosher want the job so we appoint our fourth coach in just over a year and once again the players buy into another new game plan.
5) We start the journey to the promised land again only to be blown out of the water by Sydney in the semi-final.
6) In our second season under The Don we become the benchmark for the AFL, play two fantastic finals and then play a shocker in the grand-final.
7) The coach and players reload again with the aim to go one step further but it turns into the season from hell. Most of our top ten players suffer injuries (Sloane, Mrouch, Tex, Brouch, Eddie, McLovin, Laird, Lynch) which puts even greater pressure on our mid-range players. The camp becomes toxic and it appears that we will waste yet another year.

Often depression is not caused by a single event but by an accumulation of events. It seems like this has happened to Curtly and I suspect that he is not the only one (Brouch, Eddie, Tex, Mitch and Lynchy have all faced big challenges).

I’m not sure where we go from here. The answer may just be to put the cue in the rack but IMHO our best footy can match all the other contenders including the Tigers.

I do have sympathy for hampton to a degree given the injuries he's had, but Eddie, I mean, c'mon dude.
Cant wait for the soccer to start again so you can go back to trolling that board instead of that one instead.

Wow there are some massive over reactions here.

All I heard him do was sympathize with Hampton in saying how some days it is a struggle and the game can lose the love of the actual game. Then he sees his kid love the game and gets that love back through seeing the game from his perspective.

It's a job. All jobs can be a grind. Eddie is no different to any of us in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

High pressure?
I'd think someone working in a factory 10hrs a day, earning 50k a year, trying to support 4 kids is a little tougher than what Ed is going through.

Some of these players would benefit going out and experiencing the real world imo.

Why is that more pressure?

Pressure doesn’t go up and down with how much money you make

It's tough to know what it's like to operate in such a high-pressure environment unless you've been in it.

I have no trouble believing that the batteries would start to run seriously flat after going through it, month after month, year after year for over a decade.
Month after month, year after year, $500k after $500k. I feel so depressed for these guys. Perhaps they should just go get a real job.

It's tough to know what it's like to operate in such a high-pressure environment unless you've been in it.

I have no trouble believing that the batteries would start to run seriously flat after going through it, month after month, year after year for over a decade.
I work with a guy who played a few games for Adelaide United. He is still pretty young and does not play soccer at all now.

When we were talking about Hampton retiring he said how is fans have no idea what really happens inside the walls of the club (any club) or the issues professional footballers face.

One of his final comments is that not everyone can be a professional sportsman. It takes a lot more commitment and sacrifice than most other jobs most of which the average person has no idea.

I guess most of us have played footy and loved the game. But suggesting that is akin to being an AFL player is like saying you can drive a car therefore being in an F1 race would be easy too. It probably isn't.

But do they really.
They are kids when they get drafted so at 17-18 they probably don’t have a grasp of what’s going on. Even if from a Poor family there not going to be thinking about paying bills, food, housing etc. That’s a parents thing. Most kids are pretty oblivious to those things until they leave home and reality sets in.

You obviously have no idea. Lots of kids work while at school to contribute to bills. They cook dinner, get siblings ready in the morning, take then to school and alot more. It's easy to say it looking in with a silver spoon in your mouth.

Month after month, year after year, $500k after $500k. I feel so depressed for these guys. Perhaps they should just go get a real job.

People keep bringing up the money. I get it, he's rich. No money issues. That's great, one pressure he doesn't have to deal with. A big one. I get it.

But that doesn't mean his job doesn't come with an immense amount of pressure. Obviously it does.

Those two things can both be true simultaneously.

Daniher has an mnd from all the hits and anti inflammotrys. As well as the chemical laden beer after the game

No amount of money worth what he's going through now.

Daniher has an mnd from all the hits and anti inflammotrys. As well as the chemical laden beer after the game

What?

Motor Neutron disease is caused by anti inflammatory medicine and trauma to your cranium?

Boy oh boy wow wee. Crack pot theory much.

I wouldn't underestimate the tiredness factor of raising twins on Eddie and his wife. Its bloody hard work and some parents say you have to basically write off 5 years of your life, especially if you have other young kids..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to move on I reckon.

Start up your new alias as this one is done....

You obviously have no idea. Lots of kids work while at school to contribute to bills. They cook dinner, get siblings ready in the morning, take then to school and alot more. It's easy to say it looking in with a silver spoon in your mouth.

That’s me. Silver spoon in my mouth . :rolleyes:
More like wooden spoon on my butt.

I guess a blanket statement that most if not all indigenous kids know struggle is a bit far fetched.
I live in an indigenous heavy neighbourhood and my kids go to schools with about 20-25% indigenous kids.

That’s me. Silver spoon in my mouth . :rolleyes:
More like wooden spoon on my butt.

I guess a blanket statement that most if not all indigenous kids know struggle is a bit far fetched.
I live in an indigenous heavy neighbourhood and my kids go to schools with about 20-25% indigenous kids.
And that’s fine mate, your entitled to have an opinion based on your experience.

My experience with indigenous kids is different to yours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back