Rumour Eddie Betts retiring at season end ??

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did I really hear Eddie say he was struggling to get motivated to play afl?

Are these guys seriously living in some fairyland or something?

It's tough to know what it's like to operate in such a high-pressure environment unless you've been in it.

I have no trouble believing that the batteries would start to run seriously flat after going through it, month after month, year after year for over a decade.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
It's tough to know what it's like to operate in such a high-pressure environment unless you've been in it.

I have no trouble believing that the batteries would start to run seriously flat after going through it, month after month, year after year for over a decade.
They'd also just lost a grand final and he was about to have twins.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United

High pressure?
I'd think someone working in a factory 10hrs a day, earning 50k a year, trying to support 4 kids is a little tougher than what Ed is going through.

Some of these players would benefit going out and experiencing the real world imo.

Crowboto

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
High pressure?
I'd think someone working in a factory 10hrs a day, earning 50k a year, trying to support 4 kids is a little tougher than what Ed is going through.

Some of these players would benefit going out and experiencing the real world imo.
And therein lies the whole problem......

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide

Not everyone is cut out for the life of a professional sportsperson. The AFL is littered with examples of amazingly talented players who couldn't cope with the demands of the life. Some are actually prepared to give that all up for a normal existence. Strange as that may seem, who are we to judge as we've never had to do it.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
High pressure?

There is a different kind of pressure that comes from having to perform your job in front of an audience of millions, with the very real possibility of losing it all from making a few mistakes.

That's not to say that people in the "real world" don't have pressure of their own. Of course they do.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
There is a different kind of pressure that comes from having to perform your job in front of an audience of millions.

That's not to say that people in the "real world" don't have pressure of their own. Of course they do.

Ed has absolutely no pressure Imo, could retire today and live a comfortable lifestyle.
The problem is he doesn't get how lucky he is because he has been in an afl environment since he was 18.

thirtytwo

At Average Joes
Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
DJR/ Team penske
High pressure?

Whilst I completely agree with this sentiment I’m not sure it can be blindly applied to all afl players, particularly indigenous lads.

Most if not all of those boys truly understand that life can be a struggle, more so than any other typical player that has only ever known a privileged existence before football.........indigenous people have seen it and lived it, they know struggle.

Not really, being an AFL footballer would be an absolutely s**t job (to the point you could only survive in it if you truly, and unquestionably loved it). No privacy, fully regimented lifestyle from a job that is practically 24/7, high stress (seeing a downturn in form could quite easily kill your career, and there are plenty of people who obsess over everything you do (hello bigfooty)), the stress it puts on your body every week, risk of an injury that could impact the rest of your life etc.

In fact, for a player who is firmly in the retirement age bracket, it's unsurprising that he may be considering is the pain and that really worth it anymore? I'm guessing everyone goes through those thought patterns once they hit a certain age. Dreaming of an easier, quieter life.

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Didn't hear the comments. Was it a show of sympathy/solidarity with Hampton?

Everyone has days when they just can't be ****ed. Even if they like their job.

I call those days 'weekdays'

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I heard him on radio today.
That ain't someone who realises how lucky they have it.

Imo, he was salty how rich we're all over him in the gf and how he wasn't treated like a king on that camp.

Mental health issues among elite athletes is a huge problem. Just because you think their life should be easy doesn't mean it actually is. It's not like Eddie came from a sliver spooner background either. Everyone has their cross to bear.

Mental health issues among elite athletes is a huge problem. Just because you think their life should be easy doesn't mean it actually is. It's not like Eddie came from a sliver spooner background either. Everyone has their cross to bear.

Absolutely. It's a lifestyle designed to break those who aren't rock solid mentally.

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Are you talking about what he said on 5AA this morning? Because that's not what he said. What he said was - and most importantly, in the context of discussing Hampton's retirement, Eddie said that yes, there had been days when he got out of bed not really looking forward to going to training. Which is hardly an earth-shattering thing for any AFL player to say. He then went on to talk about his kids, and how much the boys love footy, and how they motivate him - mentioned having their initials on his wrist and he looks at them from time to time.

He didn't say "he was struggling to get motivated to play AFL".

Are you talking about what he said on 5AA this morning? Because that's not what he said. What he said was - and most importantly, in the context of discussing Hampton's retirement, Eddie said that yes, there had been days when he got out of bed not really looking forward to going to training. Which is hardly an earth-shattering thing for any AFL player to say. He then went on to talk about his kids, and how much the boys love footy, and how they motivate him - mentioned having their initials on his wrist and he looks at them from time to time.

He didn't say "he was struggling to get motivated to play AFL".

With Burton and Hass running the show, who could blame him?

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Please please Eddy don't do a Goode impression of a past player as not only are you a star but a very loved one with you enthusiasm and smile etc,
If you want a simple easy life then you get a simple easy small payments .

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I heard him on radio today.
That ain't someone who realises how lucky they have it.

Imo, he was salty how rich we're all over him in the gf and how he wasn't treated like a king on that camp.
I thought he was talking about Hampton and Rioli?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I do have sympathy for hampton to a degree given the injuries he's had, but Eddie, I mean, c'mon dude.
You've been a salty person since the start of the year with the AFLW comments. :)

Stop looking at the wages earnt per AFL player. Look at it in terms of weekly risks of ACLs, concussions, and hammies. And when you do get injuries as an AFL player, you'd tend to feel mentally wrecked accompanying the physical strain. And then reading fans' loathing comments why they should be feeling down.
Does your job cause you to feel mentally and physically wrecked like it does an AFL player? I'd hate to be in their shoes during times of injuries.

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
Whilst I completely agree with this sentiment I’m not sure it can be blindly applied to all afl players, particularly indigenous lads.

Most if not all of those boys truly understand that life can be a struggle, more so than any other typical player that has only ever known a privileged existence before football.........indigenous people have seen it and lived it, they know struggle.

But do they really.
They are kids when they get drafted so at 17-18 they probably don’t have a grasp of what’s going on. Even if from a Poor family there not going to be thinking about paying bills, food, housing etc. That’s a parents thing. Most kids are pretty oblivious to those things until they leave home and reality sets in.

Back