Remove this Banner Ad

Tex Support

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Houston, UT Longhorns
Something thats been flying about on radio over here, as well as the Adelaide and Carlton board, with numerous posters claiming its a done deal, he's told teammates already etc.

Seems a no brainer. Carlton looking to shake it up, and Adelaide desperately need a small forward, and have a Tippett sized hole in the salary cap to accomodate Eddie's rumoured 600k price tag.

I guess if anyone knows more this would be the place to share it...

Yep, I'm totally on-board with this happening. Not that there's anything wrong with Eddie - he's great at what he does and will help the Crows for a long time. But this is one of a couple of roles the Blues have more than covered, and I think Betts out, Menzel in is the right way forward for Carlton's forward line.

Blues can't keep rolling Garlett/Betts/Yarran and hoping it will work, so being "forced" to change is a good thing.

Would wish Eddie all the best, though. Great bloke, has done all he can for the Blues. 50 goal small forwards are no joke.

It's reported to be more like just over 500k and Adelaide have a huge salary cap space after Tippett. 700 plus the fact we front loaded contracts this year so space will be even bigger next season.
Yeah but is he worth $500k??? Is that a precedent your club wants to set? Over-paying average role players

Yeah but is he worth $500k??? Is that a precedent your club wants to set? Over-paying average role players

Adelaide have needed to lure an established player for a long time, even if it means overpaying. I have no doubt they'll be over paying him, but I think that's what it takes to lure players back home when they're already comfortable in their current teams. If he can provide his hype "50 goals" then he will certainly be a good pick up.

If he can't rotate through the midfield he isn't worth anywhere near that money. No room in football today for the stay at home forward pocket.

Betts isn't a role player like Armfield. He can flat out play. Better than average when it comes to small forwards.
He can play but is he a 50 goal a year forward like that other poster said? Is he capable of consistently turning games in Adelaide's favour? For 500-600k that would rank as a top paid player in the league. Is he in that group?

No one will want to come to Adelaide just because Eddie Betts plays for you. He would be a good addition to the forward line for 300-400k. Not 5 or 6.

If he can't rotate through the midfield he isn't worth anywhere near that money. No room in football today for the stay at home forward pocket.

It's a myth that Betts can't play midfield. In fact when he goes in there he does really well - the coaches just like to leave inside F50. Still, if the Crows want to pay him $500k then good on them. Personally don't think he's worth that much, and it will free up more $$$ in our salary cap as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is 26 turning 27 and At his best he is probably worth $450-$500 K per year but the Crows have room and we desperately need a quick and crafty small forward who can crumb , tackle and kick goals . If that means overpaying a bit for need sake then so be it . Heck we payed Tambling over 1 mill for 3 years and he is as farkin useless as **** on a bull . Be a great pick up and will thrive !!! get it done Crows .

actually he only turns 27 next month, guess he'll still have a good 3-4 years left in him then.

As the other Adelaide posters have said: He fills a need, and we have the spare cash. The vast majority of our players are already signed up for next year, so why not front load his contract and spend the money rather than just let it sit there while we lose games because we have no crumber. The fact we're locked out of the first two rounds in the draft just makes it even more attractive.

500-600k for one of the best players in a position we have been useless in for the past...well decade?

I like it.
Exactly !

We have good tall forward options with Walker , Jenkins , Johnston and Lynch plus a couple of floating options in Otten or Henderson if needed although Ricky has been super valuable down back .

With our young midfield blossoming it allows a few to rotate through the forward line and Kerridge Grigg and Lyons should spend a decent amount of time there next season whilst building their tanks and learning from our top tier
I love Grigg kicking to our forwards whilst Kerridge is strong overhead , a great tackler and very good kick for goal from a set shot and in play . Lyons is tough , honest , has goal sense and is a strong tackler .
Danger , Sloane , Thompson and Douglas can rest up there .

Betts is exactly what we lack !!!
I like a starting line up of

BETTS , WALKER , JOHNSTON
KERRIDGE , JENKINS , DOUGLAS

Jenkins working around CHF and doing the hard work splitting packs with Tex around the goals whilst rebuilding his game form injury . Johnston to test the 3rd tall defender as a smart leading player who is a deadeye . Kerridge , Douglas and Betts to work around the talls .
Lynch NEEDS to be in our team so it is a matter of working out what benefits the team the most .

Exactly !

We have good tall forward options with Walker , Jenkins , Johnston and Lynch plus a couple of floating options in Otten or Henderson if needed although Ricky has been super valuable down back .

I've grown to like Otten as the swingman. Henderson has been pretty good down back and i'd hate to see him moved.

With our young midfield blossoming it allows a few to rotate through the forward line and Kerridge Grigg and Lyons should spend a decent amount of time there next season whilst building their tanks and learning from our top tier
I love Grigg kicking to our forwards whilst Kerridge is strong overhead , a great tackler and very good kick for goal from a set shot and in play . Lyons is tough , honest , has goal sense and is a strong tackler .
Danger , Sloane , Thompson and Douglas can rest up there .

Grigg and Kerridge in terms of tank seem to be ahead of Lyons, though i agree all 3 should spend a good amount of time there next season... though Lyons tank really worries me if he is Petrenko like and can't build it.

Though all 3 are very exciting players and have all shown a fair bit in flashes this season, though i agree with all of the above.

BETTS , WALKER , JOHNSTON
KERRIDGE , JENKINS , DOUGLAS

Jenkins working around CHF and doing the hard work splitting packs with Tex around the goals whilst rebuilding his game form injury . Johnston to test the 3rd tall defender as a smart leading player who is a deadeye . Kerridge , Douglas and Betts to work around the talls .
Lynch NEEDS to be in our team so it is a matter of working out what benefits the team the most .

I like most of it, though i'd have Grigg on the half forward flank instead of Kerridge as my preferred option. Other one, is how would Lynch operate in that side or does he?

That is the main thing i am interested to see next season, how we use Lynch because i don't think Johnston will be dropped with how good his set shot is.

Adelaide have needed to lure an established player for a long time, even if it means overpaying. I have no doubt they'll be over paying him, but I think that's what it takes to lure players back home when they're already comfortable in their current teams. If he can provide his hype "50 goals" then he will certainly be a good pick up.

This stuff coming from Bigfooty crows leaves me speechless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back