Traded Eddie Betts [traded to Carlton for 2020 4th]

Remove this Banner Ad

In the last 5 matches against teams that made the finals he kicked one goal in total. He’s done.

Correct.
Just like more than half the players leaving Adelaide (retirements + leaving).

The 'mass exodus' is grossly overdone.

Id say Keath is the only player out of the bunch leaving (exc. BCrouch) that we actually wanted to retain.

So, what do people think the trade is worth?
No Carlton or Crows fans thanks

Crows fan here but honestly... a pick in the 60s or 70s will get the job done.

Its a nothing trade.

I honestly dont see what's in it for Carlton though?
I mean the bloke is a favourite of everyone but hes done.

Crows fan here but honestly... a pick in the 60s or 70s will get the job done.

Its a nothing trade.

I honestly dont see what's in it for Carlton though?
I mean the bloke is a favourite of everyone but hes done.

I know his situation at the Crows has changed and he is not happy with things going on but i think people are writing this guy off too quickly and unfairly
21 games
37 goals

In a poor side with off field issue's in 2019 , He could easily kick 40+ goals next year and , To me that sounds like a good reason to get or keep

I know his situation at the Crows has changed and he is not happy with things going on but i think people are writing this guy off too quickly and unfairly
21 games
37 goals

In a poor side with off field issue's in 2019 , He could easily kick 40+ goals next year and , To me that sounds like a good reason to get or keep

The crow supporters see him each week. I'm sure it's not just about goals (and even if it were they'd take into account when they are scored and whom against ie 12 of them vs the Gold Coast Suns). Supporters usually have a pretty good idea when one of their own is cooked, especially when it's a player turning 33 next month. Not surprised they aren't losing any sleep over letting him go for peanuts.

The crow supporters see him each week. I'm sure it's not just about goals (and even if it were they'd take into account when they are scored and whom against ie 12 of them vs the Gold Coast Suns). Supporters usually have a pretty good idea when one of their own is cooked, especially when it's a player turning 33 next month. Not surprised they aren't losing any sleep over letting him go for peanuts.

agree.

Surely Carlton are past this point of topping up with a has been, regardless of the romance and the fact he's one of the most likable players in the game.

21 games
37 goals

12 goals against Gold Coast.

Take those out and he had 19 games for 25 goals.
For a stay at home crumbing forward in the modern game that is poor.

Even if we just play them once thats 20 games for 31 goals (well under his previous output)

Could moving Eddie on for a very late pick free up enough salary cap next season to lump on top of Crouch's current contract for next season, securing a contract extension from him?

Possible, but we shouldnt be short of cash.

Otten/Douglas off the books.
Keath, Greenwood, CEY not re-signing.

All mid range players now not demanding any salary.

Happy to not pay Eddie $500k this year though if someone wants to.

If there's a set pay structure in Adelaide do you reckon they'd be prepared to make him the exception?

That could cause issues.

Happy to not pay Eddie $500k this year though if someone wants to.

Sorry, what I meant was that if Brad Crouch wants nearly a million a season for the length, perhaps next season Adelaide can burn a huge chunk of it's cap heavily front loading a deal that secures Brad Crouch for the years but on less overall money - since you're giving him such a whack up front.

Rather than 6 years and 5 million it becomes $4.5 million and six years, but half of it is next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 goals against Gold Coast.

Take those out and he had 19 games for 25 goals.
For a stay at home crumbing forward in the modern game that is poor.
But when you look at these things you also need to consider the state of the team and other things like how much did the ball actually get into the foward line
Taylor Walker played 22 games and 43 goals but even if you discount say 5 goals from the GC game (which you shouldnt as all the other players also played against GC)

Who are your next most goal kickers
Jenkins 11 games 22 goals
Murphy 21 game 19 goals
Lynch 16 games 17 goals

Looking at the goal kicking not many of the fowards did well

The Crows salary cap relief might be Carlton’s way of saying thanks for the Gibbs trade + an effectively free Stocker.

SOS has such a kind heart I wouldn’t put it past him.

But when you look at these things you also need to consider the state of the team and other things like how much did the ball actually get into the foward line
Taylor Walker played 22 games and 43 goals but even if you discount say 5 goals from the GC game (which you shouldnt as all the other players also played against GC)

Who are your next most goal kickers
Jenkins 11 games 22 goals
Murphy 21 game 19 goals
Lynch 16 games 17 goals

Looking at the goal kicking not many of the fowards did well

No not many forwards did well.

Theres a reason Betts and Jenkins are both on the chopping block.

All I'm saying is Betts numbers are inflated by kicking 12 in 2 against SANFL level opposition.

No not many forwards did well.

Theres a reason Betts and Jenkins are both on the chopping block.

All I'm saying is Betts numbers are inflated by kicking 12 in 2 against SANFL level opposition.

Agree but what im trying to point out is that its not only his numbers apart from the 2 games is down and that indicates to me its something other than his ability. Would not surprise me to see Betts kick 40+ goals for the next 2 years at carlton and who will replace the numbers at the crows
Not sure stengle is that level 'Yet' or ever

Eddie plays with emotion. His onfield performances would have absolutely been effected by his unhappiness.
He hasn't been injured, hasn't lost his goal sence, nor his pace. Just his enthusiasm.
I think he will rebound and give Carlton two excellent years of service.
I think a token pick upgrade will work, which means it will get left to the end of trade week to be done.

Agree but what im trying to point out is that its not only his numbers apart from the 2 games is down and that indicates to me its something other than his ability. Would not surprise me to see Betts kick 40+ goals for the next 2 years at carlton and who will replace the numbers at the crows
Not sure stengle is that level 'Yet' or ever

But it does show his ability has diminished.
He cant perform like that against good teams.

Stengle in 22 games would provide more than Betts going forward.

I get that some people probably didn't see a lot of Eddie this year, but the flash in the pan freak goal doesn't make up for the other 119 minutes where he does nothing.

His opponents are finding it easier and easier to match up on him.

His forward pressure used to be his go-to...just doesn't happen any more.

I did warn you preseason that there was a risk of your older guys dropping away.

And I warned that you'd be bottom 4 when you had more rosey expectations.
Both of us were right.

Also isnt your club neck deep in picking up 1 of those cooked players?

Sounds like you're into Knight too...

Love both of those guys but happy to get rid of them as the geriatric/potato combination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back