Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Needs 20 goals to equal what he scored at Adelaide. Crows got him at his peak though whereas we had the early developing years to wait out. 184 Blues games to 132. Every chance of playing 200 games at Carlton. He'll be remembered as a Carlton player who had a lengthy dazzling cameo as a Crow.
Depends what happens this year.

The vast majority of Eddie's best football was played at the Crows. I think his Carlton time had been mostly forgotten, but that will be rewritten now that he's returned - unless he has a year where he barely plays or damages his legacy with mediocre football.

Depends what happens this year.

The vast majority of Eddie's best football was played at the Crows. I think his Carlton time had been mostly forgotten, but that will be rewritten now that he's returned - unless he has a year where he barely plays or damages his legacy with mediocre football.

I think people underrate some of his brilliance at Carlton. He still kicked 290 goals, with plenty of magic. I recall him taking two screamers over packs in the one game vs Brisbane. He made an AA squad for us but was largely overshadowed by Stevie Milne hype as far as recognition. He didn't have that at the Crows as Milne had retired. Suddenly the commentators started noticing what Eddie could do after years of ignoring him.

Last edited:

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think people underrate some of his brilliance at Carlton. He still kicked 290 goals, with plenty of magic. I recall him taking two screamers over packs in the one game vs Brisbane. He made an AA squad for us butnwas largely overshadowed by Stevie Milne hype as far as recognition. He didn't have that at the Crows as Milne had retired. Suddenly the commentators started noticing what Eddie could do after years of ignoring him.
You think trying to compete with Milne or rioli would be harder

You didn't just mention Milne did you

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You think trying to compete with Milne or rioli would be harder

You didn't just mention Milne did you

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No idea what you are trying to say here.

I didn't mention competing with Milne as such. Just that Milne got all the plaudits as the best small forward in the AFL at the time, and Eddie's feats were largely ignored.

People act like Eddie was just okay at Carlton and became magic player at Adelaide with the flick of a switch. It wasn't like that at all.

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
No idea what you are trying to say here.

I didn't mention competing with Milne as such. Just that Milne got all the plaudits as the best small forward in the AFL at the time, and Eddie's feats were largely ignored.

People act like Eddie was just okay at Carlton and became magic player ar Adelaide with the flick of a switch. It wasn't like that at all.
I think that's fair enough. There were also multiple small forwards during his time at Carlton.

All that being said, I think he played his most memorable football while at Adelaide, whether that was a mixture of opportunity, exposure or performance

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I think that's fair enough. There were also multiple small forwards during his time at Carlton.

All that being said, I think he played his most memorable football while at Adelaide, whether that was a mixture of opportunity, exposure or performance
He was playing in a better side at Adelaide which helps.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Eddie Betts is a gun player and not just a small foward but a gun footballer

Coming off a rookie list and being 174cm & 66 kgs when drafted to become a 316 game afl player (so far) and average 2 goals a game 600 goals so far
Champion

Eddie Betts is a gun player and not just a small foward but a gun footballer

Coming off a rookie list and being 174cm & 66 kgs when drafted to become a 316 game afl player (so far) and average 2 goals a game 600 goals so far
Champion

Wasn't a rookie listed player but the rest of your post is spot on. ;)

Needs 20 goals to equal what he scored at Adelaide. Crows got him at his peak though whereas we had the early developing years to wait out. 184 Blues games to 132. Every chance of playing 200 games at Carlton. He'll be remembered as a Carlton player who had a lengthy dazzling cameo as a Crow.
Haha, Eddie will be remembered as both a Crow & Blue... but played his best football in Adelaide, such that he has a pocket named after him.

Haha, Eddie will be remembered as both a Crow & Blue... but played his best football in Adelaide, such that he has a pocket named after him.

Of course everyone will know which two clubs he played with, but word association wise, if you say Betts ... which club will come up first? I was just responding to the question. My OPINION is that we gave him his start, we developed him, he will retire with us after playing 200 games in our guernsey and kicking 300 goals. While his peak years were with a better performed Crows side, he had some damn good years with us and was part of Setanta's Little Helpers, a very exciting time for us. He will be a life member at the Carlton Football Club and in our hall of fame for sure.

He has played in 6 finals for Carlton, 7 for Adelaide.

Of course everyone will know which two clubs he played with, but word association wise, if you say Betts ... which club will come up first? I was just responding to the question. My OPINION is that we gave him his start, we developed him, he will retire with us after playing 200 games in our guernsey and kicking 300 goals. While his peak years were with a better performed Crows side, he had some damn good years with us and was part of Setanta's Little Helpers, a very exciting time for us. He will be a life member at the Carlton Football Club and in our hall of fame for sure.

He has played in 6 finals for Carlton, 7 for Adelaide.
Genuinely remembered fondly as a player who played quality football for both clubs.

Been much better than I expected. Did not think he had this much good footy left in him.
This thread is great for a laugh if you go back a bit!

Gee Big Footy is entertaining.

Eh, Im eating some humble pie. I didnt think he'd perform to the level he has so far.
He was recruited to purely kick 25 goals a season and he looks like he will surpass that in a reduced season so far.

Not to mention the amount of energy he brings to the side and something was clearly wrong at Adelaide and he wanted out for what we know now is becoming the norm as the Crows plummet.

It is a no brainer to give him another contract for next year and he is not demanding mega $$ either. Just such a win for us and you cannot replicate what he brings to us on and off the field.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
He was recruited to purely kick 25 goals a season and he looks like he will surpass that in a reduced season so far.

It is a no brainer to give him another contract for next year and he is not demanding mega $$ either.

With Russell's track record of keeping older guys in the game longer, another two years isn't out of the question. We don't need Eddie kicking 70 goals a season (although it would be nice), just 25-30 and his mentoring would suit Carlton nicely.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
This thread is great for a laugh if you go back a bit!

Gee Big Footy is entertaining.

He's playing ok. Still doesnt do a lot. He fits well with what Carlton are doing but was exactly the opposite of what Adelaide needed.
We all know what Eddie can do. That said he's not far from the cliff.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He's playing ok. Still doesnt do a lot. He fits well with what Carlton are doing but was exactly the opposite of what Adelaide needed.
We all know what Eddie can do. That said he's not far from the cliff.

A goal kicker ?

Are you serious , you spent all preseason going on about Eddie being cooked and wouldnt get a game for the crows in 2020 and the crows will not be as bad as what was being mentioned. The crows cant manufacture a goal and your saying Eddie is not what the crows need fmd

Back