Eddie Betts

What do you think of the AFC recruiting Eddie Betts?

• Yes, $500k is fine

Votes: 205 61.6%
  • Yes, but we're paying too much

Votes: 64 19.2%
  • No, not worth the money

Votes: 45 13.5%
  • No, just do not want at any price.

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't really have an issue with it, simply because the game was done and dusted at that point - I suppose if Eddie's goal had put us 3 points up in the dying minutes of the game then I might not have looked at it the same way. But as it stands, I just see it as a nice bit of sportsmanship, like fielders applauding a batsman when he scores a century or something along those lines.

I get that but I feel we'd have a slightly different reaction if we were behind.

Also maybe if we were talking about non-indigenous players doing something similar (like the Dees earlier in the year).

Now you just seem to be making excuses.

Are you saying that only indigenous players can have a good rapport with their opposition players?
How do you know the Dees players weren't participating in ongoing banter?

Would you be happy if we were down 5 goals in the last and Tex started having banter with Phil Davis and laughing around and hugging etc?
After all they're great mates.
Your comments are an example why I often can't be bothered posting on this forum. I can't see any excuses that I made. I think you are being a bit foolish if you think your analogy of the Dees and Tex are similar to the situation with Eddie.

Anyway, I liked Des's comments and that is why I posted the link here. You don't have to agree, and obviously you don't.

Great 1 hr long pod cast between good mates; great insight into Eddie's journey and touches on some other things as well. Great insight into what life is like being a player--the good and bad, the abuse that he gets (the story of him being on in the Gold Coast a few days ago with his family and having people get in his face about the GF loss), free agency, Charlie Cameron, racism etc etc. A must watch imo, and hopefully gives perspective to people who dehumanise players and lose their empathy.

This year I've made a conscious effort to really savor being able to see Betts do his thing, especially as the end of his on field career looks to be in sight (just going by age and how he has clearly slowed down physically); to see him do the things he has done in a live setting and to feel the rush of a whole stadium light up whenever he even gets close to the ball, to that feeling of utter awe after something absolutely magical happens is indescribable. I'm fawning, but it is a case of feeling privileged enough to know that one day I'll show my kids his highlights package and be able to say "I saw him do this, I was there".

Also, this still makes me laugh:

Attachments

• betts-and-robbo1.jpg
    betts-and-robbo1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

Back