Eddie... how long is too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Reappointed to the board of Collingwood (unopposed) for another three years.

It’ll bring his tenure of president to 25 years, and it shows no sign of stopping.

He’s done a lot but the question, of course, is at what point does it become a better option for Collingwood to have a fresh set of eyes. Particularly given Eddie is such a “hands on” chairman.

Many organisations (incl AFL clubs) have maximum terms for directors and chairmen, to force renewal and progress. Collingwood don’t... in the much-vaunted “review” of the entire club in 2017, which saw the end of Gary Pert, the report specifically recommended Collingwood adopt max terms. Of course, the Board didn’t.

Will Eddie ever go? Is he president for life, planning a 40 or 50 year term?

You think somebody will just stand against him and win... but it’s never happened before, and it’s been murmured about as to why: Eddie has one of the widest media platforms in Australia, and he’s a brawler. He’d aggressively and publicly take down any “enemy” who tried to take over without his permission. Who would put themselves up for that?

And Collingwood is a mammoth club. They have dozens of very talented, accomplished, connected supporters who’d bring a lot to the role.

I remember a Mike Sheahan interview with Eddie some years back when he asked him about entering politics. Eddie said no, because he could achieve what he wanted in the community “through Collingwood”. Is that healthy? Does he see it as a personal fiefdom and vehicle?

Different roles of course but I think he might be a bit similar to Sheedy at Essendon. Achieved a lot but ultimately was there too long, which hurt an organisation so moulded in one person’s image. Alex Ferguson is perhaps another example.

This won't be popular among a large section of Collingwood supporters, but it's been too long.

It's not healthy having one person lead the club for essentially a generation.

The club should have imposed term limits, particularly after the 2017 review recommended it.

If you hire a good CEO and combine with a good head of footy and coach how much does the President matter?

Collingwood aren't going anywhere any time soon in terms of facilities. I assume they've locked in sponsorship, businesses away from football and charitable partners.

If you step in to sack or back the coach and swap out the CEO's at the right time then why not keep the same guy? There's been privately owned teams in American sports who have been run by the same guy and then even to a younger generation and remained excellent for decades.

Footy went through a huge shake up with ground rationalisation, full time professionalism and the rise of training staff, coaches, facilities etc. Eddie guided the Pies through that and things have been pretty smooth sailing since.

This won't be popular among a large section of Collingwood supporters, but it's been too long.

The club should have imposed term limits, particularly after the 2017 review recommended it.

I guess my thinking is that once his reign delivered

- a flag

- a new state of the art home and training base

- genuine financial health

... what else is there for him to achieve at Collingwood?

It’s a tough one in that the Eddie era has been relatively successful. It’s yielded only one flag, but a swag of GF appearances. The club is well off etc.

There have been some pretty questionable decisions though, particularly the Bucks handover which seemed to be basically Eddie driven. Bucks has turned out to be a pretty good coach but it took time and the handover was a debacle at a time they were in their window.

Can’t imagine there’ll be a shortage of candidates if he goes. Were it my club I’d want change after this long.

The Swans had Richard Colless as chairman for twenty years. Nothing wrong with long tenures. It’s more a case of whether there is a ready made replacement. Ed has been great for the Pies. They will be big shoes to fill you would assume their would be some sort of planning for the future.

who is the alternative?

if he has the energy, wants the role, still does it well and no better alternative is putting a hand up then he goes on surely

Carlton FC haven’t won a Premiership during Eddies presidency

Surely 17 cllubs are happy with that
Hawthorn = 4
Brisbane = 3
Geelong = 3
Sydney = 2
West Coast = 2
Richmond = 2
North Melbourne = 1
Essendon = 1
Port Adelaide = 1
Collingwood = 1
Western Bulldogs = 1

I think under McGuire, we should have won another flag considering the number of Grand Finals we made in his time as President but it's a game of margins as we all know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree with this. I’ve said it for a few years now. Eddie has done a great job but it’s time to hand it over IMO.

Reappointed to the board of Collingwood (unopposed) for another three years.

It’ll bring his tenure of president to 25 years, and it shows no sign of stopping.

He’s done a lot but the question, of course, is at what point does it become a better option for Collingwood to have a fresh set of eyes. Particularly given Eddie is such a “hands on” chairman.

Many organisations (incl AFL clubs) have maximum terms for directors and chairmen, to force renewal and progress. Collingwood don’t... in the much-vaunted “review” of the entire club in 2017, which saw the end of Gary Pert, the report specifically recommended Collingwood adopt max terms. Of course, the Board didn’t.

You think somebody will just stand against him and win... but it’s never happened before, and it’s been murmured about as to why: Eddie has one of the widest media platforms in Australia, and he’s a brawler. He’d aggressively and publicly take down any “enemy” who tried to take over without his permission. Who would put themselves up for that?

And Collingwood is a mammoth club. They have dozens of very talented, accomplished, connected supporters who’d bring a lot to the role.

I remember a Mike Sheahan interview with Eddie some years back when he asked him about entering politics. Eddie said no, because he could achieve what he wanted in the community “through Collingwood”. Is that healthy? Does he see it as a personal fiefdom and vehicle?

Different roles of course but I think he might be a bit similar to Sheedy at Essendon. Achieved a lot but ultimately was there too long, which hurt an organisation so moulded in one person’s image. Alex Ferguson is perhaps another example.
Collingwood has been successful for a large part of his presidency and he does a great job of marketing the club. What more do you want of a president?

Sheedy was past it as a coach when Essendon moved him on, but I don't see how you can say the same of Eddie.

The place is in the best shape it’s ever been in. Every year it improves. He does a wonderful job, they’ve been consistently in grand finals whilst he’s been at the helm, they’re financially set for ever and there isn’t a likely suitor.

Don’t let the instability of other clubs make you feel like that instability is a normal thing.

Reappointed to the board ofIt’ll bring his tenure of president to 25 years, and it shows no sign of stopping.

Just not sure why you care?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back