Eddie... how long is too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
First time in a very long time that a high-profile Collingwood supporter has had a crack at him. Eddie’s response will be an interesting insight into how he’d handle a board challenge.

“The Collingwood administration has lost the plot,” Galbally said.

“They seem to be lurching from one crisis to another. There is no governance to speak of at Collingwood.”

“You can be in charge of a club for far too long. It happened with Tommy Sherrin. It happened with John Elliott. There are plenty of other examples, and they all lose sight of what is going on and get consumed with the belief that the club is theirs.”

“They really need a new administration at Collingwood. Full stop,”

“Eddie needs to step down. He can’t stay there forever. He’s not there for life. And it’s not healthy for the club to have the same person serve in that role for as long as he has.”

“The presidency of the Collingwood Football Club carries with it enormous impramateur, right across the community – and it’s very hard to let go and give it away. But it’s time. The club has got to look to the future. It needs new ideas and a fresh approach.

“And that is not to say that Eddie hasn’t been a tremendous asset as president to the club.”

Last edited:

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
People cannot seriously believe that Eddie will be leaving Collingwood by anybody’s will but his own.

Just imagine if somebody ran against him, the absolute public flogging they’d be put through.

I honestly think he sees himself as president for life.

Who is going to put their hand up to remove him? It’s going to be an ugly, ugly episode.

Yup, a Pies Presidential challenge would command its own venue with pay for view. Pies to clean up financially again. Unfortunately, cannot recall any bod who has been prepared to stump up and challenge. No challengers, ever. Ed would most likely enjoy someone having a dip, Give Ed a chance to demonstrate a bit of presidential muscle. Pad out an impressive CV.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
First time in a very long time that a high-profile Collingwood supporter has had a crack at him. Eddie’s response will be an interesting insight into how he’d handle a board challenge.

“The Collingwood administration has lost the plot,” Galbally said.

“They seem to be lurching from one crisis to another. There is no governance to speak of at Collingwood.”

“You can be in charge of a club for far too long. It happened with Tommy Sherrin. It happened with John Elliott. There are plenty of other examples, and they all lose sight of what is going on and get consumed with the belief that the club is theirs.”

“They really need a new administration at Collingwood. Full stop,”

“Eddie needs to step down. He can’t stay there forever. He’s not there for life. And it’s not healthy for the club to have the same person serve in that role for as long as he has.”

“The presidency of the Collingwood Football Club carries with it enormous impramateur, right across the community – and it’s very hard to let go and give it away. But it’s time. The club has got to look to the future. It needs new ideas and a fresh approach.

“And that is not to say that Eddie hasn’t been a tremendous asset as president to the club.”
This is where Eddie will use his media clout to crush galbally

At least John Wren would give Pies players a sling.

McGuire needs the Pies more than it needs him. His role has been integral to his branding and capacity to make money through his media and other interests.

He is just another huckster.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
mcguire will be doing his homework on Gallbally, go searching through his background. Duck for cover David, mcguire only knows one way.

Similar to Sheedy. And I'm saying that as a dirty Tiger back pocket that he was (and we loved him for it).

Op from way back in Feb was on the money. Nice post Bunk Moreland.

Maguire sees the club as his. There is now way that he will walk away from it. And most prominent/ powerful Pies supporters don't have the gumption to stand up to him. Kudos to Galbally.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Similar to Sheedy. And I'm saying that as a dirty Tiger back pocket that he was (and we loved him for it).

Op from way back in Feb was on the money. Nice post Bunk Moreland.

Maguire sees the club as his. There is now way that he will walk away from it. And most prominent/ powerful Pies supporters don't have the gumption to stand up to him. Kudos to Galbally.
Spot on with sheedy, absolutely spot on.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I remember Ed saying a few years into his stint that Collingwood was "rat infested" before he took over, the thing with rats/mice is they creep up on you, it's easy to see the infestation at another house but harder when that house is your own.

This is why leaders need to be changed every 10 years or so.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
How can someone as unsuccessful as Eddie McGuire last so long, 1 premiership in over 20 years, not the mark of a successful well run club such as Richmond
But he has made us one of the most successful clubs off the feild, and that should be the mark of a president, but as we all know he cannot help himself getting involved in matters that he shouldn't, football matters especially.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
But he has made us one of the most successful clubs off the feild, and that should be the mark of a president, but as we all know he cannot help himself getting involved in matters that he shouldn't, football matters especially.
Yet isn't fit to tie the shoes of a real president such as Peggy O'Neal, face it it's time for the highly unsuccessful McGuire era to end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mate your club has proved to be useless without a Richmond player such as Mick Malthouse as coach
I wasn't having a dig, how do think Collingwood would have gone in 1990 without Daicos? When you have a player like Dusty or Daicos life becomes a lot easier.

IMO Ed has stayed too long, time to go, but we all know he'll make Trump look gracious in the hand over.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I wasn't having a dig, how do think Collingwood would have gone in 1990 without Daicos? When you have a player like Dusty or Daicos life becomes a lot easier.

IMO Ed has stayed too long, time to go, but we all know he'll make Trump look gracious in the hand over.
Does anyone have enough pull to drag Eddie from his seat of power? He survived monkeygate and several other controversies already.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Eddie McGuire mustn’t have any friends? Because if he did, they would have told him years ago “it’s time mate”. Does he think he is irreplaceable? Does he wonder how other other clubs win premierships, with less resources and they haven’t even got him as president? I listen to him on the radio, I like him but he is a bully, he can’t comprehend another opinion. And I’m convinced he has acted the bully in the Collingwood board room, which is definitely to the detriment of the football club. That is not healthy.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Eddie McGuire mustn’t have any friends? Because if he did, they would have told him years ago “it’s time mate”. Does he think he is irreplaceable? Does he wonder how other other clubs win premierships, with less resources and they haven’t even got him as president? I listen to him on the radio, I like him but he is a bully, he can’t comprehend another opinion. And I’m convinced he has acted the bully in the Collingwood board room, which is definitely to the detriment of the football club. That is not healthy.
Ed seems like the type who surrounds himself with yes men who would be afraid of the ramifications from crossing him.

It's rare to see him work with anyone who has the strength of character to overtly stand against him. I know he did a bit of work with Caro (and maybe still does), but can't think of any others.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ed seems like the type who surrounds himself with yes men who would be afraid of the ramifications from crossing him.

It's rare to see him work with anyone who has the strength of character to overtly stand against him. I know he did a bit of work with Caro (and maybe still does), but can't think of any others.
Yep. Kim Jong McGuire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back