Eddie... how long is too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

How can someone as unsuccessful as Eddie McGuire last so long, 1 premiership in over 20 years, not the mark of a successful well run club such as Richmond

And the one time they broke through Eddie went and ****ed it up by giving the coach the arse to make way for his boyfriend. Good job

7 years on I still can’t understand how he wasn’t sacked for comparing Adam Goodes appearance to King Kong.
Because that sort of behaviour is condoned (some would say encouraged) at Collingwood. FFS they were calling O'Brien/Lumumba "Chimp" at the time internally.

Eddie has been a positive for Collingwood and the AFL but time catches up with all leaders no matter how powerful and successful they have been and with Eddie, since he reappointed Bucks despite there being plenty of evidence to support seeking a new coach he now comes across as being too risk adverse which is usually a sign that a leader has been there too long because they try to hang on to what worked years earlier well past their used by date. Eddie's problem is he has dominated for so long that he has become stale and drunk on his own bathwater.

7 years on I still can’t understand how he wasn’t sacked for comparing Adam Goodes appearance to King Kong.

That was a * up but wasn't sackable. Humans by nature do stupid things so instead of seeking to punish every mistake we really should be trying to avoid repeating them because if we punish people by sacking them for every silly act before long there wont be too many people still employed.

Got say you’re . I am staggered at the hatred for Eddie.
You know what he sh:ts me with his Collingwood diatribe ( they are the 4th biggest club , not the biggest ... here comes the lunatic fringe ...) but by golly he has promoted and defended them well.
People are just never satisfied. This guy is an absolute asset for that club and footy overall .
Remember the mess he inherited ? . Now nook at that club , ALMOST as good as Richmond!!

And Gallbally ? Really ???, mr rent a quote !!

How about giving Eddie a pump up for being such a great promoter of the game as well as keeping Collingwood and Vic clubs relevant .

What do Collingwood people want , a regime like Essendon or North ?

Tough audience .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Eddie has been a positive for Collingwood and the AFL but time catches up with all leaders no matter how powerful and successful they have been and with Eddie, since he reappointed Bucks despite there being plenty of evidence to support seeking a new coach he now comes across as being too risk adverse which is usually a sign that a leader has been there too long because they try to hang on to what worked years earlier well past their used by date. Eddie's problem is he has dominated for so long that he has become stale and drunk on his own bathwater.

Nobody can argue the positives he achieved.

But it’s the time thing... how long is too long?

In fairness, Mick was cooked. You only need look at his time at Carlton to see that.

Yes he was clearly cooked evidenced by the 2010 premiership which was followed up by a 20-2 minor premiership and Grand Final appearance in his last two seasons.

He proved he was even more cooked by taking Carlton back into the finals in 2013 despite missing the finals the previous season.

Yes he was clearly cooked evidenced by the 2010 premiership which was followed up by a 20-2 minor premiership and Grand Final appearance in his last two seasons.

He proved he was even more cooked by taking Carlton back into the finals in 2013 despite missing the finals the previous season.
Carlton finished with the same number of regular season wins in 2013 as Ratts' last year so Mick wasn't the savior they thought he would be. His subsequent years at Carlton showed that he was cooked and justified Collingwood's decision to move him on for Bucks.

I don't think it was a horrible decision in hindsight.

He took them to the finals by finishing in ninth spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moving on Malthouse was the right call. The issue was whether Buckley was the right person. He’s made a grand final and a number of finals series but after 9 seasons how much more can he give.

The off season this year has been poor and throw in a few distractions during the season. Not all Eddies fault but his comments on other clubs leave the Pies open to a smashing.

Carlton finished with the same number of regular season wins in 2013 as Ratts' last year so Mick wasn't the savior they thought he would be. His subsequent years at Carlton showed that he was cooked and justified Collingwood's decision to move him on for Bucks.

I don't think it was a horrible decision in hindsight.

So Malthouse struggling 3 years later with a different list that lost its best player justifies Buckley ditching him when he had the team absolutely peaking and in premiership contention? And to top it off Buckley lead the team backwards every year into 5 years of nothingness?

People actually buying into the “Malthouse was cooked” narrative that was pushed by Eddie and his media buddies is one of the more bizarre things I’ve seen in football. They were saying it when he was the reigning premiership coach and the Pies had an 18-1 record.

Is there a realistic alternative to replace Eddie ?

Easy to sack a person but if his replacement is not significantly better then whats the point.

Buckley is another issue altogether , What is the record amount of time a coach has held his job without winning a premiership ?

Easy to sack a person but if his replacement is not significantly better then whats the point.

Buckley is another issue altogether , What is the record amount of time a coach has held his job without winning a premiership ?
I think brad Scott lasted 10 years not sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Brad Scott lasted about 10 and a half seasons with us, Buckley is heading into 10th season right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back