Eddie McGuire reveals $1b plan to replace Etihad Stadium with new indoor venue near MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously? Replace a stadium that's been in use for 16 years? What a waste.
Make-it-Rain.gif

As somebody involved in asset evaluations, the thought of writing off a stadium structure worth hundreds of millions when it still has decades of a useful life left in it is absolutely mind-boggling. What a waste.

Etihad is a great stadium and the reason why nobody wants to live in the docklands is because the docklands is ******* s**t. Sorry Rob, not the stadium's fault that your little project has as much character as local anesthetic.
Why do people think Docklands is s**t? I quite liked it at a friend's apartment and seemed to be a fair few good restaurants and obviously close city access.

Don't forget we paid half a billion to not have to build a road!
Ah yes the road that was going to return 80c per dollar spent, take 56 years to pay off and was basically a glorified trucking route to serve the interests of lindsay fox et al.
Only 13% of motorists were going to use that west-bound tunnel in the morning peak, there were no plans to ease congestion for city-bound traffic.
Google the business case- it was a scandalous project that saw a first term government booted out because anyone with half a brain (regardless of their political leanings) knew it stank.

Why do people think Docklands is s**t? I quite liked it at a friend's apartment and seemed to be a fair few good restaurants and obviously close city access.
Well, I'd rather live in the Docklands than Sierra Leone or even Adelaide, but it's pretty clear the Docklands is nothing like what it was intended to be. It's a boring, quiet place for affluent singles and couples to live rather than being the vibrant hub of energy which the government hoped would eventuate. It really lacks the vibe of the rest of the city.

And the kicker is that without Etihad, there'd be no reason whatsoever to visit the docklands.

Ah yes the road that was going to return 80c per dollar spent, take 56 years to pay off and was basically a glorified trucking route to serve the interests of lindsay fox et al.
Only 13% of motorists were going to use that west-bound tunnel in the morning peak, there were no plans to ease congestion for city-bound traffic.
Google the business case- it was a scandalous project that saw a first term government booted out because anyone with half a brain (regardless of their political leanings) knew it stank.
The road out the front of your house returns $0 per dollar spent to your local road authority, will never be fully paid off and is basically just a big, million dollar driveway for you and the rest of the houses in your street.

Can you see why this is an extremely dumb way to look at roads???

Couple of people backing Etihad as a stadium and i agree.

Don't get some of the hate towards it of being 'lifeless' etc..seems fine to me.

Also convenient being short walk from Southern Cross Station and i like that it is a bit smaller than the G so you're closer to the action

Having travelled to Melbourne several times specifically to watch the footy, I think this is a great idea. Etihad lacks atmosphere, even with a big crowd. I expected exactly the opposite, and had really looked forward to watching games at Etihad. The MCG on the other hand was awesome, and the atmosphere was amazing, even with a crowd of only about 40 000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's s**t, an expansive bleakness of concrete/asphalt, total lack of greenery, little integration, poor roads access, cycle paths an afterthought, sterile and too windy, I'm down there every second day for work....But it's horses for courses really, I mean I think shopping malls are my idea of hell, but they're packed every weekend....

Docklands is a good stadium (and the best thing ABOUT Docklands frankly), knocking it down would be an even dumber move than throwing away Waverly was.

Now, a new stadium in the north west, perhaps Flemington, to service the Dogs, Norf, perhaps even Carlton and the like, would make sense.

This plan just sounds like Eddie playing politics and looking out for the Pies. Again.

Having travelled to Melbourne several times specifically to watch the footy, I think this is a great idea. Etihad lacks atmosphere, even with a big crowd. I expected exactly the opposite, and had really looked forward to watching games at Etihad. The MCG on the other hand was awesome, and the atmosphere was amazing, even with a crowd of only about 40 000.
Whilst there's problems with Etihad, it doesn't have shitty overpriced stands like subiaco, or in a crappy position like Aami or AFL park. There should be a better reason than 'it lacks atmosphere and is not as good as the MCG' to sell it and knock it down.

This new stadium won't be as good as the MCG either, and has no guarantee of having better atmosphere.

Yeah, but the real reason the ALP was so dead set against it is that the contract didn't specify union labor...So unlike projects like the desal plant, the unions couldn't extort massive amounts from the contractors.

Seriously? Replace a stadium that's been in use for 16 years? What a waste.

It seems like a waste but the land is worth a motza.

Artist's impression... seems like a fair bit of work has gone into this. One of his less hare-brained schemes.

First question: What's in it for Collingwood?

Should keep Eithad but add a third stadium anyway in the city

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Well, I'd rather live in the Docklands than Sierra Leone or even Adelaide, but it's pretty clear the Docklands is nothing like what it was intended to be. It's a boring, quiet place for affluent singles and couples to live rather than being the vibrant hub of energy which the government hoped would eventuate. It really lacks the vibe of the rest of the city.

And the kicker is that without Etihad, there'd be no reason whatsoever to visit the docklands.

So many foreign buyers and properties that would sit empty. That would be the main thing killing the docklands.

So what's in it for Eddie ?
For the rest of his life Eddie gets to
tell everyone in Vic that he was responsible for "shaping Melbourne for the next 100 years",
whilst simultaneously telling everyone in the rest of Australia that "Melbourne has the best of everything", with it all made possible by spending vast sums of *other people's money*.

This project is pretty much a narcissist's wet dream.

For the rest of his life Eddie gets to
tell everyone in Vic that he was responsible for "shaping Melbourne for the next 100 years",
whilst simultaneously telling everyone in the rest of Australia that "Melbourne has the best of everything", with it all made possible by spending vast sums of *other people's money*.

This project is pretty much a narcissist's wet dream.

Sounds like the push for a republic (another McGuire project) ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back