Expansion Eddie McGuire says Collingwood needs to play against Tasmania and Darwin teams by 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Because they don’t get the ability to manufacture Derbies and Showdowns twice a year you mean ?.

Take that point but only having those games once a year enhances the interest I reckon.

Its not limited to any one State - every Melbourne club will want to play the Pies.

Yep, i get what you are saying and all, but Kwality seems to think they will have some pull over the AFL.

The AFL couldn't give a rats one way or the other if Tassie have a team or not, they care more about money, the northern states offer more long term than Tassie does, that's what the AFL cares about.

The Tas Premier has it .... the AFL want it.

With respect, would a Melburnian know why kids are attracted to places not Melbourne? The use of Ballarat as an example suggests NO.

Yes, I think as a Melbournian, I probably know what Melbournian kids will be put off by.

Considering they make up the majority of the talent base.

How would imposing North on Tas or the NT be a winner for the national comp ?

Is this the best solution for Vic footy Ed
OR
the best solution for the national comp ?

The pies were probably the biggest beneficiary of Fitzroy being pushed out of the comp

I dare say the blues, dees and dogs will benefit from the Roos

Can’t believe Ed talked for 20 mins on tassie and didn’t mention the hawks once.

plus ‘rivalry round?’ Who do tassie and NT have a rivalry with?

I’d also just like to point out, this is what happens when you take Collingwood off him...it’s like those few years after Sheedy got the arse at Essendon, before the senility truely took hold (and the AFL gave him GWS anyway).

No longer ‘in control’ of his own kingdom so throwing around this stream of consciousness bullshit and getting his mates to print it as news.

Eddie will be worse considering he produces his own TV show and can use that as a soapbox without worrying about his position as Collingwood president.

We all just have to pray to god he doesn’t end up in a position of power at the AFL....I reckon he’ll want a spot on the commission ASAP.

‘like when he thought it was a good idea to build another stadium....right next to the mcg

I was with him until he suggested 20 games for the year and 12 teams in finals. Ridiculous.

Top 8 works fine, and I hate those advocating for a shorter season.

Also the other thing that I think is stupid is playing games in America. If they want to watch our game, they can. We don't need to pointlessly chase eyeballs. The absolute last thing we need is to start changing the game to appease Americans, although it does feel like the supposed AFL powerbrokers are already desperate to emulate US sports as much as possible.

If Eddie wants a team to play extra games in Tassie for a few years, he should be volunteering Collingwood to do it. All well and good to throw someone elses club under the bus.
As if the media rights will increase with less games. Redonck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well the fact that you liked a post for the 1st time ever is a miracle lol.

Only other finals system is a final 9 where its 8th vs 9th in a play off where the other 7 sides get a week off and the winner gets the last finals spot.
20 teams will get us a top 10 or Eddie's top 12, i like 19 rounds, but not 20. Something to think about?

I would think north and hawthorn would loose quite a few of there Tasmanian members hawks have 10,000 thousand down here not exactly a small amount. Maybe the afl don’t care but what’s is different this time around is they have been very publicly called out in the Melbourne footy media they can’t exactly sweep it under the carpet anymore . also Tasmania actually finally has a premier with some balls that’s prepared to pull the fifo plug they also have some what of a competitor in the future nbl team coming

An nbl team 😆

Can’t believe Ed talked for 20 mins on tassie and didn’t mention the hawks once.

plus ‘rivalry round?’ Who do tassie and NT have a rivalry with?

Tasmania vs every mainland club at once.

‘it’s more games, but will average less viewers per game

plus no ‘wildcard weeK’ pointless crock. 10 finalists in two c final 5s
If Tas is the 19th team it adds nine games = 207. Add standard nine finals = 216.
20 teams/rounds = 200 games. Rediculous final 12 adds 15 games, so 215 total.

The roof idea isn’t a terrible one, but why so necessary? The UK is way colder than Hobart but have night games in the dead of winter.

Hobart maybe cold by Australian standards but I am sure people used to living in the weather could cope going to a night game.

For the other ideas:

Tas team - yes should happen and financially no issues, will get good crowds from the start and mega interest. At a guess they’d be at a similar support level to a lower/mid level Victorian side or maybe Port Adelaide.

Darwin or FNQ side - can’t see it, not enough population in Darwin, not enough interest FNQ. Canberra would make more sense.

12 team finals - lol, stupid

Fixture - Once but then a derby/rivalry round? Why? Just make it 19 games and be done with it.

Some wacky Vic side arrangement to play games in tassie - just have hawks and north keep doing what they’re doing until tassie have their own team.

The roof idea isn’t a terrible one, but why so necessary? The UK is way colder than Hobart but have night games in the dead of winter.

Hobart maybe cold by Australian standards but I am sure people used to living in the weather could cope going to a night game.

For the other ideas:

Tas team - yes should happen and financially no issues, will get good crowds from the start and mega interest. At a guess they’d be at a similar support level to a lower/mid level Victorian side or maybe Port Adelaide.

Darwin or FNQ side - can’t see it, not enough population in Darwin, not enough interest FNQ. Canberra would make more sense.

12 team finals - lol, stupid

Fixture - Once but then a derby/rivalry round? Why? Just make it 19 games and be done with it.

Some wacky Vic side arrangement to play games in tassie - just have hawks and north keep doing what they’re doing until tassie have their own team.
Canberra would be waaaay colder than Hobart unless we want to play games on the mountain. Launceston is far colder too because it’s inland. The other Hobart secret is that it’s Australia’s 2nd driest capital city. It rains a lot, but what you might call Scottish Mist. Sometimes it rains all day and there’s not a puddle on the ground and 1mm in the rain gauge. It’s nothing like the tropical downpours you get on the East coast of Australia where you can get 10mm in 10 minutes. It doesn’t really even hail here, although that may change with global warming.
Hobart weather is very misunderstood. People think it’s like Canada or something where you have 10ft of snow on your driveway. For those of us that don’t like 30+ degrees for 6 months of the year it’s paradise. Growing up in Freo was heat and wind. I hated it.
For me the weather here is awesome. Don’t think you won’t get sunburned here though, you’ll fry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back