Expansion Eddie McGuire says Collingwood needs to play against Tasmania and Darwin teams by 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

What I heard was, give Vic clubs that play in Tassie over the next few years another excuse not to travel beyond their home grounds. Give my sliding magpies more of a chance of making finals by letting most the league into the finals. Make Tasmania pay for the development of kids like the northern states have to despite 20 minutes ago arguing that the Northern states shouldn't be allowed to and ,are them pay for junior development even though Victorian clubs pay sweet * all while Vic junior development is looked after. Or am I just being cynical?

Why the hell should 60% of the teams in the comp make the finals.

As it is currently with the top 8 usually the teams in 6 and 7 are just making up the numbers and have absolutely no impact at all come finals and he suggests adding more teams to fill space?

No legitimate competition should have a finals series that includes more than half the comp

Actually the guy's a genius.

Chris Scott calls him a liar on Monday night. By Wednesday he's come up with 6 absurd ideas to throw on the table.

Yes Canberra is the better option here.

Population of 500k in Canberra/Queanbeyan region
Within driving distance from VIC and traditional AFL supporting towns of Albury and Wagga.
More attractive for corporate sponsors/politicians to attend.
Plus it would enable GWS to focus on the Sydney market with maybe the odd game in Newcastle.
It makes sense.... It will be Similar to Gold coast. Canberra is only 654 kms from Melbourne and Only 248 kms away from Sydney.

Yeah theres 500,000 living in the ACT. Average crowds will be 10-15,000 per game as well.

Seeing that Eddie has never had a thought he could keep to himself, is there any evidence of this Collingwood Gold Coast idea from back in the day?
It's definitely true.

What he neglects to mention is that EVERY Melbourne-based team was approached by the AFL about playing home games at Carrara in 2009. Some clubs (Carlton, St Kilda and Richmond) actually accepted. But Collingwood, after carefully "considering" the offer, told the league to * off.

Needs a ticket to the funny farm ol' Ed!

AFL needs to offer XXX million to whomever wants to relocate (first in best dressed)

Tassie team gets 10 Tassie home games 8 games in Melbourne (most of them away)

VIC members to get a special Membership for whichever ground they play in Melbourne (I assume Marvel)

1 SA,WA,NSW,QLD trip each year so Tassie team play all non VIC clubs interstate in a 2 year period

Bulldoze the old TCA oval and put up a domed 25,000 to 35,000 seat stadium there (easy access for public transport and parking a must)

They play 8 home games at Bellerive and a couple at Launceston until the new joint is finished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Final 12 system would be crazy.

Maybe a final 10 or final 9 system.

if its final 9, 8th vs 9th in play off and the last team gets the 8th finals spot.

or a final 10 system where its 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th and the 2 winnders get the last 2 finals spots.

Tasmania doesn't make economic sense and Darwin makes even less sense. Both teams would be financial black holes with very little benefit as there is no room for growth in either market.

Darwin is a total joke surely - he must have either never been there or spent the entire time in the country’s shittest corporate box.

I know idiots do have this magical image in their heads of some kind of rolling Aboriginal All-Star game and a never ending supply of Riolis but far out....

The only place Darwin will ever have a team in this league will be here:

21BFC428-ED80-4814-98D3-FF2044DD8D42.jpeg

20 teams would be great. Darwin and Tassie the ad ons. Play each team once a year and alternate home team each year. No double ups. Takes it to a 19 game home and away series. Keep the top 8 system as is.

So further dilute the already stretched thin talent pool, add more travel in suffocating humidity so the game as a spectacle suffers, and then at the end of the h&a season we get to see at least 4 s**t teams play finals because money?

I know he probably spent hours into the middle of the night wondering how he could be relevant again but honestly no one gives a *. Relocate Collingwood to NT or the US if you like and leave the rest of us alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 team league sounds great but playing footy in North Queensland and Darwin wouldn't be fun given the heat and slippery conditions at night

it sounds more like a way to push north out of melbourne
The main stadium would have to be indoor and this a brand new stadium. I personally don't think NQ/Darwin can be a combined team.

As Much As I want darwin in t the AFL, it wont happen. Only 200,000 live there.

I want Tassie and Canberra to get the 19th and 20th licenses.

Canberra Pear , you might see that canberra side in the AFL in 2028.

That would be incredible seeing Tasmania v Canberra this decade!

Canberra makes way more sense than Darwin for many reasons. The population, the money, the distance, the weather, proximity to the Riverina-Murray (Wagga, Albury etc) footy hotbed.

What I heard was, give Vic clubs that play in Tassie over the next few years another excuse not to travel beyond their home grounds. Give my sliding magpies more of a chance of making finals by letting most the league into the finals. Make Tasmania pay for the development of kids like the northern states have to despite 20 minutes ago arguing that the Northern states shouldn't be allowed to and ,are them pay for junior development even though Victorian clubs pay sweet fu** all while Vic junior development is looked after. Or am I just being cynical?
Northern clubs paying to develop there own players that’s a joke right maybe Sydney but the other three certainly don’t you do realise how much development money has gone into nsw and Queensland since gws and the suns were created don’t you

Tasmania doesn't make economic sense and Darwin makes even less sense. Both teams would be financial black holes with very little benefit as there is no room for growth in either market.
You really need to start producing some actual evidence ? for these expert claims you continue to make about clubs not being financially unviable let me guess you don’t actually have any

Remove this Banner Ad

Back