Expansion Eddie McGuire says Collingwood needs to play against Tasmania and Darwin teams by 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

You really need to start producing some actual evidence ? for these expert claims you continue to make about clubs not being financially unviable let me guess you don’t actually have any

The fact Tasmania only has around 530,000 people spread across 2 cities that are no where near each other. WA has around 1.2 million people per team and even Victoria which already has too many teams has about 1 team per 650,000 people and Victoria is far more centralised than Tasmania. Add to that Tasmania isn't really grwoning, and won't be much bigger in 2050 than it is now.

Not while gws are struggling to draw crowds we won’t Canberra are keeping them afloat at the moment

Isn't that the same argument for North and Hobart?

A victim of our own success.

Canberra wouldn't come in for about a decade and I'd hope GWS would have solidified their crowds by then. But if they need a second home they could play a game or two in Newcastle.

I never understand the 'play everyone once fixes the fixture' thing.

Playing West Coast and Freo in Perth, is entirely different to playing them at home.

It doesn't fix anything at all. Playing everyone twice is the only way to fix it.

Obviously that can't happen, so the only other way is to randomly draw the fixture.

That would potentially cost the league and the big clubs squillions, so that will never happen either.

So a fair or equal fixture is just a white whale. Let it go. Can't happen.

As Much As I want darwin in t the AFL, it wont happen. Only 200,000 live there.

I want Tassie and Canberra to get the 19th and 20th licenses.

Canberra Pear , you might see that canberra side in the AFL in 2028.

hear hear

canberra makes for more sense than the north

hopefully by then GWS would have paved the way for a decent AFL following in the capital

Needs a ticket to the funny farm ol' Ed!

AFL needs to offer XXX million to whomever wants to relocate (first in best dressed)

Tassie team gets 10 Tassie home games 8 games in Melbourne (most of them away)

VIC members to get a special Membership for whichever ground they play in Melbourne (I assume Marvel)

1 SA,WA,NSW,QLD trip each year so Tassie team play all non VIC clubs interstate in a 2 year period

Bulldoze the old TCA oval and put up a domed 25,000 to 35,000 seat stadium there (easy access for public transport and parking a must)

They play 8 home games at Bellerive and a couple at Launceston until the new joint is finished.

Don't want any more financially busted arse suburban clubs FIFO here. Fitzroy, StKilda, Hawthorn, North M. ENOUGH!!

The current plan is the basis. maybe some tweaking, but keep it simple.

Forget stupid roofed stadiums. Why here & not Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, who have more rain, heat & storms?

A really stupid demand. FNQ/NT would want one for the extreme heat & storms, but didnt mention that.

Clearly he lives in the Vic Bubble ie NFI of anything over the border.

The fact Tasmania only has around 530,000 people spread across 2 cities that are no where near each other. WA has around 1.2 million people per team and even Victoria which already has too many teams has about 1 team per 650,000 people and Victoria is far more centralised than Tasmania. Add to that Tasmania isn't really grwoning, and won't be much bigger in 2050 than it is now.
What’s the population criteria for a top league sports team?

just looking at the English premier league they have teams from Brighton 290,000 population, Southhampton 270,000 population, Burnley 90,000 population.

Why do people believe 530,000 is not enough for an AFL team?

As Much As I want darwin in t the AFL, it wont happen. Only 200,000 live there.

I want Tassie and Canberra to get the 19th and 20th licenses.

Canberra Pear , you might see that canberra side in the AFL in 2028.

it’s only approx 130k in Darwin itself, the rest is spread around doing the territory.

Darwin team wouldn’t work

What’s the population criteria for a top league sports team?

just looking at the English premier league they have teams from Brighton 290,000 population, Southhampton 270,000 population, Burnley 90,000 population.

Why do people believe 530,000 is not enough for an AFL team?

I'm for a Tassie team, but this is misleading.

Brighton and Southampton are in metro areas of 500k and 1.5m respectively, and Burnley is 40 mins from Manchester which has 2.3m.

Hobart has 250k and is not near any other population centre.

Last time Eddie did this he presented a plan to the state government to bulldoze Etihad Stadium, bulldoze and relocate half of Melbourne Park, put half of inner Melbourne’s trains underground, put a few busy city streets underground, build a brand new $1b 60k stadium between Collingwood’s training ground and the MCG, giving Collingwood two large home stadiums right next to their training centre. Oh and put the entire precinct under the management of a “super trust”, and oh well yes if you want me to be in charge of that trust i guess I could find the time.

He even got the Hun to put it on the front page. The government said “wow thanks so much Eddie, it’s important the right people see this brilliant plan so we’ll just file it right here, in the bin.”

I'm for a Tassie team, but this is misleading.

Brighton and Southampton are in metro areas of 500k and 1.5m respectively, and Burnley is 40 mins from Manchester which has 2.3m.

Hobart has 250k and is not near any other population centre.
Yeah sorry Southampton 1.5 million metro. Burnley competing with big market teams in Manchester, 4 teams Manchester teams been in the premier league over the past 10 years along with 3 other professional clubs

Brighton 500k in England with 55 million population is comparable to 250k in Australia 25 million.

Plenty of smaller town teams can make it to the premier league, Blackburn, Bournemouth, Swansea, Norwich, Stoke, Hull City, Ipswich ect... up

People want to rule out Tasmania based on population, I just don’t buy it

Tasmania is growing Launceston to Hobart is a two hour drive hardly a huge distance to travel I’ve done it plenty of times over the years lots of people travel a lot longer then that to watch football all around Australia. the club would have two of the best stadium deals in the afl .full government backing Tasmania also has 90,000 paid up afl club members that’s more than gws and the swans combined despite their huge population. You are offering your opinion which is fine but you have no actual evidence that proves a Tasmanian team is not financially viable or burden as you put it !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't that the same argument for North and Hobart?

A victim of our own success.

Canberra wouldn't come in for about a decade and I'd hope GWS would have solidified their crowds by then. But if they need a second home they could play a game or two in Newcastle.
Yeah it is kind of the same but for some reason it seems the afl look at Canberra as being apart of the gws zone/area and part of there home. I think the afl should be concerned with gws they have really struggled for support while being good on field there now looking like heading down the ladder you worry about what there crowds may be in 5 years it’s definitely a long haul that’s foreshore. As far as north go Tasmania owes them nothing if they can’t survive in Melbourne without Tasmanian money then that’s the Afl problem

Relevance Deprivation Disorder in full florid display.

Hermionegranger Harrypotter GIF - Hermionegranger Harrypotter Idiot GIFs

The 20 team and 20 rounds ideas aren't that silly tbh

The only issue is the potential drain on the talent pool already

A 12 team finals series is ******* laughable though

Yeah sorry Southampton 1.5 million metro. Burnley competing with big market teams in Manchester, 4 teams Manchester teams been in the premier league over the past 10 years along with 3 other professional clubs

Brighton 500k in England with 55 million population is comparable to 250k in Australia 25 million.

Plenty of smaller town teams can make it to the premier league, Blackburn, Bournemouth, Swansea, Norwich, Stoke, Hull City, Ipswich ect... up

Soccer clubs generate revenue through other ways, due to their global audience.

In the AFL it's basically club memberships, sponsors, merch, gate takings and TV rights isn't it?

I'd guess that gate takings and club memberships would be largely irrelevant for a premier league club in terms of their revenue wouldn't they? Video game cash alone would probably dwarf the biggest AFL club's supporter base related revenue.

So in summary - large numbers of fans and/or large populations aren't relevant in the EPL the way they are in the AFL.

So further dilute the already stretched thin talent pool
The only issue is the potential drain on the talent pool already
Surely by 2025, with both GWS and GC being in the comp for the best part of 15 years, the comp will start to see the 'return on investment' for the millions the AFL has pumped into these areas and the talent pool will increase dramatically with all of the converted juniors now playing the game. Surely. Or was the AFL full of it??

Surely by 2025, with both GWS and GC being in the comp for the best part of 15 years, the comp will start to see the 'return on investment' for the millions the AFL has pumped into these areas and the talent pool will increase dramatically with all of the converted juniors now playing the game. Surely. Or was the AFL full of it??
you mean all of the new talent that only goes to Sydney and GWS?

Give it another 10 years and the academies will have to go

Final 12 system would be crazy.

Maybe a final 10 or final 9 system.

if its final 9, 8th vs 9th in play off and the last team gets the 8th finals spot.

or a final 10 system where its 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th and the 2 winnders get the last 2 finals spots.
Two final 5. It was a popular finals system

the circumstances in Tassie are totally different. We have a State government & an opposition who want it as part of state tourism. It will get support. People may follow other teams but will buy memberships to watch all the AFL teams, not the same merry go around with Port etc etc.

Stadiums will be upgrade. All in the 4-5 year plan.

Soccer clubs generate revenue through other ways, due to their global audience.

In the AFL it's basically club memberships, sponsors, merch, gate takings and TV rights isn't it?

I'd guess that gate takings and club memberships would be largely irrelevant for a premier league club in terms of their revenue wouldn't they? Video game cash alone would probably dwarf the biggest AFL club's supporter base related revenue.

So in summary - large numbers of fans and/or large populations aren't relevant in the EPL the way they are in the AFL.
Merchandise is huge for the big premier league clubs I remember reading after Beckham left Manchester United there revenue dropped considerable due to the amount of income in merchandise they lost with him being so popular around the globe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back