Expansion Eddie McGuire says Collingwood needs to play against Tasmania and Darwin teams by 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

With the money question aside... Isn't the talent pool problem solved by the fact that there would be two states with elite teams and the connections that go with them? That should theoretically improve talent coming out of the two states if done properly..

Then there's the other question about that argument which is whether there is actually a lack of "talent" or rather a case of a game that encourages the success of athletic ability over talent in the modern era? Meaning a lot of players skills and abilities aren't developed to their potential and draftees are picked up based on athletic merit rather than football talent. Perhaps it's a more complex issue than "there's not enough talent"?
you could shrink the lists as well.
But i don't think it's necessary. Nation of 25m. We can't find ~850 people to play AFL at a decent level.

Vic remains an issue. 50% of the employers are in one state that doesn't have a retention issue.
What you want to avoid isn't so much a shallow talent pool, but a concentration of talent. Particularly you'd want to avoid the bleed GWS and GCS experienced a few years in from getting off the ground.

Im onboard with the 20 teams, 19 rd fixture, top 12 finals and a Tas & NT team.
Particularly NT if you do/fund it right so it becomes an economic hub for the community.

Tas you gotta get over the Hobart/Launceston issue but i'm sure that's solvable by making one group happy and the other not.

i don't get the bonus showdown/derby/rivalry round?
They will happen in the normal course of the season.
Also, why bother with the US.

The Tasmanian side has to be located in Hobart.

No doubt they will split the matches between Hobart and Launceston, which will actually be good for crowd numbers, however for player retention, the training base has to be in Hobart.

(I'm not Tasmanian btw)

20 teams is alright.

Where will the talent come from?

Tasmania is a must stand-alone team. Own identity, own colours and name

North Queensland? Population Cairns 168,000
Darwin? 157,000
Re-location of a team might be required and if we lose one will that be North? If so then look at WA or SA for the other team?
Any re-location will result in emotional turmoil?

19 Home and Away rounds only ( No 20th round for rivalries, blockbusters, that just compromises the whole fixture again).
190 games instead of 198

A final 12? Conferences? Extra Finals?

With Eddie's plan, each conference would then play using the McIntyre final six system with the winner of each conference playing in the AFL Grand Final.

According to Eddie, not only will the proposal see an added six finals matches, but it would "add to the integrity" of the game removing "dud" games that tend to occur in the back end of the season.

• Eddie's idea isn't a bad one, but people don't like change?
  • 19 Rounds is the key.

Somehow teams must play their quota of home games each year, you can still schedule blockbusters into the 19 round fixture, Anzac Day, Easter Monday and Indigenous round can remain, but no return match.

Whatever happens, tongues will be wagging and every fan will have their own view, but something's got to give in the next 5 or so years.
the 2 new clubs would need draft collateral to trade to the other 18 clubs to help build their lists initially.
And $$. i.e. 10-15% foundation player bonuses for each side whilst those players remain at each club when they sign in the first 3-5 years until those players leave/retire/delisted

Perhaps you let Free Agency run it's course with the new clubs in the mix too.
Delay trade period & allow the new clubs to work on attracting established talent that aren't FA's but without the need for trading.
After that, compensate the clubs that lose players on some scale akin to free agency with offers of multiple picks or a cumulative value of picks (i.e. picks 18 & 22 or Pick 6 would be a choice)
No draft concessions but give Tas & NT Picks 1 & 2 for 2 years (alternating).
Then kick off trade week.

If i'm the new teams, i'd be looking to have ~18-20 established AFL players in the side, plus the draftees, plus any mature agers out there.

Yes, but they don't financially back them.

Directly yes, but the WA footy model has benefited from that ownership, using the AFL clubs to support WA footy. Tas would be crazy not to adopt that model.
There are plenty of Eagles fans who dont care about anything outside their footy club & thats not healthy in my view.

No doubt they will split the matches between Hobart and Launceston, which will actually be good for crowd numbers, however for player retention, the training base has to be in Hobart.

(I'm not Tasmanian btw)

What makes you think you know whats best for Tas. The last thing they need is being told what to do, the AFL interference hasnt been a resounding success.

Directly yes, but the WA footy model has benefited from that ownership, using the AFL clubs to support WA footy. Tas would be crazy not to adopt that model.
There are plenty of Eagles fans who dont care about anything outside their footy club & thats not healthy in my view.

I think the Tas model will be the WA model, but supercharged.

There will be no fear of impartiality like with West Coast vs Fremantle favouritism.

No doubt there will be an ironclad agreement with the AFL and the Tas Government for 10-15 years of contract sponsorship for the new side, stadium upgrades, the works.

I honestly can't get my head around how people think they are anything like GWS/GC.

The NSW/QLD local political members are scared shitless of their NRL local constituents.

The local members around Blundstone and Launceston will be throwing around cash and promises to the football club left right and center to get votes come election time.

I genuinely believe a standalone Tas side will be the biggest success story since the introduction of Fremantle.

It will stand alone financially from the very beginning.

SEN D. Russel program 8.4

E. Mc Guire expands on his Tas. 19th team comments.

He wants Tas. to have 1 stadium with a fully, covered domed roof, so it can host a range of big events- not just the occasional blockbuster Fri. night AFL games in pristine condition, but other non sport events.
The Tas. team will play in stadia in Hobart & Launni- with the latter being the biggest (to cater for the large no. of Melb. footy tourists).

He emphasises Tas. will need to be able to, eventually, produce 6 Draftees pa, to make it a valuable addition for the AFL. (CRUCIAL condition for AFL acceptance of a 19th team there).

(Scroll to 8.4- then go to "Interview With E. Mc Guire")

Hobart's rainfall is less than Melb., Launnie is higher. There is no need for a very expensive, domed stadium (30K capacity, cost $500m?).
The Fed. LNP govt. have indicated they will fund significant AFL infrastructure, but the Business Case did not seek a domed stadium- no ROI, for c.6 games pa.

Mc Guire shows his lack of political nous, by not understanding it would be political "death" for any Party in arguing to build such an expensive stadium.

Tas. will need to demonstrate it can provide 6 Draftees pa, on average- absolutely crucial to obtain AFL & Clubs' "nervous" agreement for a 19th team: "What can Tas. ADD to the AFL?".

Question what nous he has. Ego he has in spades though.

(I'm not Tasmanian btw)
i'm staying out of this one :p
Im not Tasmanian either, but i've had a fair share of chats with people in pubs on the subject as i've always found the North/South divide fascinating.

I always thought a shared team was the way.
Keep both stadiums, base the team out of both cities. I'm less convinced that works tbh.

What makes you think you know whats best for Tas. The last thing they need is being told what to do, the AFL interference hasnt been a resounding success.

I travel there every year and there is no way an AFL club will work in Launceston.

Hobart has a fighting chance when it comes to player retention, Launceston does not.

It would be akin to making kids move to Ballarat, if Ballarat was isolated 2.5 hours from the next biggest city.

The North coast of Tassie is beautiful, but Hobart is where the training base needs to be.

Last edited:
i'm staying out of this one :p
Im not Tasmanian either, but i've had a fair share of chats with people in pubs on the subject as i've always found the North/South divide fascinating.

I always thought a shared team was the way.
Keep both stadiums, base the team out of both cities. I'm less convinced that works tbh.

How do you have the training base in both cities?

I guess if they bus down to each city akin to an away game every round a few days out from the game and they have training bases built in each city, but the players still have to pick Hobart or Launceston to actually live in.

How do you have the training base in both cities?

I guess if they bus down to each city akin to an away game every round a few days out from the game and they have training bases in each city, but the players still have to pick Hobart or Launceston.
You run sessions at both grounds.
Official HQ may be Hobart (for example), but given you'd be playing both grounds, training them both makes sense.
And connecting with both cities.

Get them motorbikes too :) perhaps a Harley sponsorship.
Tassie is great for it :p

You run sessions at both grounds.
Official HQ may be Hobart (for example), but given you'd be playing both grounds, training them both makes sense.
And connecting with both cities.

Get them motorbikes too :) perhaps a Harley sponsorship.
Tassie is great for it :p

I'd be pretty confident with an AFL Academy akin to the Northern Academies, reinvestment in Tasmanian grass roots football by the AFL, they'd meet the same 25-40% homegrown list makeup that the NSW clubs currently have.

I think if they focused on Vic Country kids and rural SA/WA kids, they would fare similarly to GWs/GC/Brisbane when it comes to player retention. If based out of Hobart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I travel there every year and there is no way an AFL club will work in Launceston.

Hobart has a fighting chance when it comes to player retention, Launceston does not.

It would be akin to making kids move to Ballarat, if Ballarat was isolated 2.5 hours from the next biggest city.

The North coast of Tassie is beautiful, but Hobart is where the training base needs to be.

With respect, would a Melburnian know why kids are attracted to places not Melbourne? The use of Ballarat as an example suggests NO.

WA have kept the AFL at arms length & the Tas Govt needs to follow that lead. That conga line of AFL employees forced on Tas footy says it all & IF the AFL want Tas money, Tas will call the shots.
Mate, do you know how much the AFL give a rats about Tassie having a team or not?

I would guess on a scale of 1 to 10 it would be closer to 1.

Tassie have an estimated 90k members now, how many would the AFL lose?

How many would be gained?

I don't think the AFL care that much, so i doubt Tassie have much say in it.

you could shrink the lists as well.
But i don't think it's necessary. Nation of 25m. We can't find ~850 people to play AFL at a decent level.

Vic remains an issue. 50% of the employers are in one state that doesn't have a retention issue.
What you want to avoid isn't so much a shallow talent pool, but a concentration of talent. Particularly you'd want to avoid the bleed GWS and GCS experienced a few years in from getting off the ground.
With Tasmania and NT having more of a widespread AFL culture, maybe the problem will be too many Taswegians and Territory folk playing the go home card instead

20 teams is alright.

Where will the talent come from?

Tasmania is a must stand-alone team. Own identity, own colours and name

North Queensland? Population Cairns 168,000
Darwin? 157,000
Re-location of a team might be required and if we lose one will that be North? If so then look at WA or SA for the other team?
Any re-location will result in emotional turmoil?

19 Home and Away rounds only ( No 20th round for rivalries, blockbusters, that just compromises the whole fixture again).
190 games instead of 198

A final 12? Conferences? Extra Finals?

With Eddie's plan, each conference would then play using the McIntyre final six system with the winner of each conference playing in the AFL Grand Final.

According to Eddie, not only will the proposal see an added six finals matches, but it would "add to the integrity" of the game removing "dud" games that tend to occur in the back end of the season.

• Eddie's idea isn't a bad one, but people don't like change?
  • 19 Rounds is the key.

Somehow teams must play their quota of home games each year, you can still schedule blockbusters into the 19 round fixture, Anzac Day, Easter Monday and Indigenous round can remain, but no return match.

Whatever happens, tongues will be wagging and every fan will have their own view, but something's got to give in the next 5 or so years.
As Posted.... I want tassie to be the 19th side. As much as I want a 3rd Team in WA to be number 20, Canberra would be good.

North Queensland? Unlikely. Theres 500,000 living up in North queensland. 300,000 living in Townsville. 200,000 in Cairns.

Newcastle or Southern Coast of NSW could be an intersting Idea.

Having a Tassie Team in the AFL will not only revive footy in that state but also the state it self. I dont mind Eddies Idea of a Stadium with a roof, even if it only holds 30-40,000 seats. It will be used for Footy and Cricket.

Canberra having an AFL team could work. Upgrading Manuka oval could give them a BBL side too, so more money coming in for that state too.

Keep the final 8 system as it is or have a final 10 system where its 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th and the 2 winners get the last 2 finals spots.

As Posted.... I want tassie to be the 19th side. As much as I want a 3rd Team in WA to be number 20, Canberra would be good.

North Queensland? Unlikely. Theres 500,000 living up in North queensland. 300,000 living in Townsville. 200,000 in Cairns.

Newcastle or Southern Coast of NSW could be an intersting Idea.

Having a Tassie Team in the AFL will not only revive footy in that state but also the state it self. I dont mind Eddies Idea of a Stadium with a roof, even if it only holds 30-40,000 seats. It will be used for Footy and Cricket.

Canberra having an AFL team could work. Upgrading Manuka oval could give them a BBL side too, so more money coming in for that state too.

Keep the final 8 system as it is or have a final 10 system where its 7th vs 10th and 8th vs 9th and the 2 winners get the last 2 finals spots.
The effect of Ross Lyon coaching the Dockers has not been long-lasting. I agree with your comments, Canberra is a chance, A final 10 would be preferable.

Mate, do you know how much the AFL give a rats about Tassie having a team or not?

I would guess on a scale of 1 to 10 it would be closer to 1.

Tassie have an estimated 90k members now, how many would the AFL lose?

How many would be gained?

I don't think the AFL care that much, so i doubt Tassie have much say in it.
I would think north and hawthorn would loose quite a few of there Tasmanian members hawks have 10,000 thousand down here not exactly a small amount. Maybe the afl don’t care but what’s is different this time around is they have been very publicly called out in the Melbourne footy media they can’t exactly sweep it under the carpet anymore . also Tasmania actually finally has a premier with some balls that’s prepared to pull the fifo plug they also have some what of a competitor in the future nbl team coming

The effect of Ross Lyon coaching the Dockers has not been long-lasting. I agree with your comments, Canberra is a chance, A final 10 would be preferable.
well the fact that you liked a post for the 1st time ever is a miracle lol.

Only other finals system is a final 9 where its 8th vs 9th in a play off where the other 7 sides get a week off and the winner gets the last finals spot.

I would think north and hawthorn would loose quite a few of there Tasmanian members hawks have 10,000 thousand down here not exactly a small amount. Maybe the afl don’t care but what’s is different this time around is they have been very publicly called out in the Melbourne footy media they can’t exactly sweep it under the carpet anymore . also Tasmania actually finally has a premier with some balls that’s prepared to pull the fifo plug they also have some what of a competitor in the future nbl team coming
Yep, i get what you are saying and all, but Kwality seems to think they will have some pull over the AFL.

The AFL couldn't give a rats one way or the other if Tassie have a team or not, they care more about money, the northern states offer more long term than Tassie does, that's what the AFL cares about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back