Eddie McGuire should think before he acts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan26

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I read today in "The Age", that Eddie McGuire would be seeking compensation from the AFL, as he was concerned about the low crowd number for the Collingwood-Adelaide match at the MCG. The crowd figure was about 33,000.

Now, Eddie was obviously alluding to the fact that the match was taking place against the Blues-Hawks match on Channel 7 at 2:00PM

Eddie (and John Eliott), have been critical of the "live agaisht the gate" policy of the AFL.

Couple of things :

*Firstly, the match was not LIVE agaisnt the gate at all. The Carlton-Hawthorn match at Optus Oval, started at 12:10, and was on a two hour delayed telecast.

*Secondly, for the last 15 years, whenever there has been a Sunday match in Melbourne (and there is one nearly every week), I GUARANTEE, there has been a LIVE match, from either the SCG, the Gabba, Subiaco, or Football Park, beamed live back into Victoria, against the gate. Has this affected the crowd over the last 15 seasons ? No. In fact Sunday crowds, I believe have been bigger than Saturday crowds here in Victoria.

* Yet Eddie wants compensation for a crowd of 33,000, which is about standard for these two teams when they play each other. I suppose he also wants compensation for when the Pies played, say, Melboure on a Sunday two years ago, and there was a LIVE match on from Sydney at the same time. Just like there is every Sunday here in Melboune.

While he's at it, why not every single Victorian Club, get compensation for their Sunday matches ever since 1987, when there has no doubt been a live match on TV on channel 7.

What do Collingwood supporters think about this ?

I mean, as if any Collingwood supporters were going to say, :"Gee, I might stay home and watch a DELAYED telecast of Carlton-Hawthorn, instead of going to the MCG to watch my own team"

Eddie, really has no idea sometimes.

P.S. GO BOMBERS

Dan,

You are spot on with everything you say about the crowds. What you also forgot to mention is that, live games in Melbourne have been televised just about every Saturday afternoon for the past 4 years!!! The clubs are compensated for this, on last year's figures Carlton received more money than any other club from the AFL for TV rights. And as for Eddie, he has been hanging around John Elliott for far too long. I have a solution, why don't they go off and form their own league, and play each other every week at Optus Oval, after all who needs them.........

Yeah, I was thinking that myself the other day Dan24. There is pretty much always a live game beamed into Melbourne every Sunday.

I think he's just trying to get more money for the club.

As for the current love-in with Carlton, I must say that is very concerning. They are our most fierce rival and I think some space should be observed.

Spot on Danny Boy,

I've got alot of respect for Eddie McGuire and I for one are very surprised he's been sucked into this grandstanding bullshit with Jack "Jabba the Hutt" Elliott.

McGuire makes himself look like a dick when he teams up with that fruit loop, surely he can see that Elliott is yesterday's man.

He's also got to be very careful he is not perceived to be abusing his position of power and making life difficult for arch rival Channel 7. He's gotta have his club & the game at heart and not try for the cheap exclusive on the Footy Show.

Elliott is self proclaimed "man of the people" and "crusader against the evil AFL empire", just go to Optus "Corporate Box" Oval to see what a crock that is. If Carlton Members don't vote him out next ellection then the only team playing in a national comp. they 'll see at Optus will be Carlton Soccer Club.

Don't even start me on his stupidity about internet technology that's non existent.
How's big John going to get around the little symbol on his football teams jumper, nice try dickhead.

BOMBER BLITZ IN 2000!

Well Dan24 thanks for you opinions! Most of you points are right except the fact, I don't believe Eddie is actually seeking money for "live against the gate", because it wasn't telecasted live against the gate except for on PRIME TV (80% of the game anyway), he is infact seeking compensation for the Calton game(being played in Victoria) being broacasted in Victoria at the same time as the MCG match. I must say regarding this though, that neally NO Melbourne games are telecasted live in Victoria on Prime, except for the Anzac Day match and sometimes Carlton Vs Collingwood. I have both PRIME and SEVEN, so I know whats live and whats not. Another thing, the Collingwood game I think was the biggest crowd there has been in Victoria between the PIES and the crows. This is from a Collingwood supporter! I support Eddie, but I'm not sure this is a clear cut issue. However both games were were broacasted LIVE on PRIME, so country supporters should just stay home!

Dan24, I think your definition of 'live against the gate' and John Elliott's definition are slightly different.

Elliott's point is (and quite a valid one in my opinion) is that Channel 7 is broadcasting live (or very slightly delayed) against the gate in the SAME city (ie Melbourne). Therefore instead of journeying to Optus Oval to watch the match, Carlton supporters (and supporters of whoever they are playing) are staying home and watching the Carlton match on TV, when they very easily could have gone to the match. This is costing the club memberships and attendances and thus revenue.

Your point about "... Sunday matches in Melbourne and LIVE matches, from either the SCG, the Gabba, Subiaco, or Football Park, beamed live back into Victoria, against the gate." is irrelevant. Of course Sunday match crowds aren't effected when this occurs. Why would they be? If my team was playing in melbourne on a Sunday, I'd rather go and see my team anyday than stay home and watch for example a Sydney vs Collingwood match "...live from the SCG". Elliott's not even worried about Carlton matches being live in regional Victoria. The issue is... live matches against the gate in Melbourne for Melbourne based clubs.

I also get Prime and this year the Carlton vs Brisbane match in Round 1 and the Hawthorn vs Collingwood match in Round 2, were broadcast live. I didn't go to Melbourne for the Brisbane vs Carlton match, even though I'm a member because it was live on TV. No point. Very pleasant listening to the radio commentary and watching the images on TV at the same time.

Roylion, my point was that Eddies was seeking some sort of compensation for the perceived low crowd at the MCG against the Crows.

His thinking was that people would stay home and watch Carlton-Hawthorn, instead of coming to the MCG to watch his beloved Pies.

As if ?

Yes, for 15 years, the same thing has been happening. Sure, an SCG match isn't in Melbourne, but it is still going up against an MCG match.

And, this hasn't affected the crowd at all. Just lke the Collingwood-Adelaide crowd wasn't affected at all. The Carlton-Hawthorn games might have been affected, but that wasn't my topic. My topic was about the Collingwood game.

Eddie was claiming the Collingwood game was affected by a delayed telecast of a match featuring two other teams. That's absurd. There have been live matches from the SCG, Gabba et, for the last 15 years up agaisnt Collingwood on Sundays.

Dan 24. Yes, fair enough. I agree with you on Eddie McGuire.. Perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned John Elliott as well. My point was that John Elliott's ranting against "live against the gate" is not about other AFL matches being televised when Carlton is playing, but Carlton's matches being televised live within the Melbourne metropolitian area. In my opinion he has a point. It's too bad his valid points are often obsured by all the other trash he comes out with, such as yesterday's comment about the Western Bulldogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back