Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie was always the biggest and most powerful personality in the room.

From all reports, since he's gone it's been a contest as to who is "the boss" down at the club, however it appears rudderless from a board level. Eddie would have been that rudder, the one steering things along, however who that person now is appears to be murky.

Korda and Murphy clearly both want to be president but IMO, the people who should decide this should not be the board but the members (social club, legends, club 5).

Without Eddie at the moment, the club appears to be relatively directionless and without someone to steer the ship, time for that to end. For a long time it has been Ed and without him the place isn't quite the same, which I why I agree with Murphy's sentiment that maximum terms on the board need to be introduced to ensure the club actually prepares for succession.

His only f'up was leaving it open to interpretation. I certainly assumed when he used the term "proud" that he was referring to the club getting on the front foot, implementing the review, and accepting the recommendations of that review. It was a landmark scenario and to me the obvious interpretation. Yet people wanted to believe somehow that he was inferring we were somehow proud of our history with racism. I've heard from many people, Collingwood supporters and supporters of other teams, some of them indigenous, and they to a man/woman agree with my interpretation. It's only sectors of the media, BF and broader social media pushing the other barrow.

I think you're right. The media came to the press conference hoping to hear a response to the Lumumba situation and do a roast on Eddie especially, and the Pies in general. I say that because subsequent questions from the media related mostly to Lumumba. Eddie puffed out his chest - as he does - and goes into his optimism-overload rant on proud day to bulldoze the media's agenda, as is his style. It's been an indian arm wrestle for a number of years and Eddie had been "severely wounded in the neck" by having to give up the presidency the weeks before. His enemies smelt blood and took his last gasp "proud moment" jab and turned it on him and killed the beast... rip eddie

I'd agree with that interpretation. I don't understand why it was part of his speech, why he didn't allow others to say it. It is such a minor part of this picture. Eddie gravely misjudged the attitude/mood around this issue.

I agree. The media had a ground swell behind them following the leak and were always going to be on the offensive. As I've said elsewhere, despite his popularity I've never been convinced Ed's a great media performer.

I’ll be the plonker because he’s lost the plot. McGuire f’ed up yet he STILL considers that others took it the wrong way. The lack of humility is impressive in a bizarre way. It doesn’t change how I view his tenure, but it’s pushing me toward turning off from McGuire the media personality.
There is a lot of blind faith when Eddie is concerned.
Eddie was good for Collingwood, but Collingwood was pretty good for Eddie! Don’t overlook that.

Last edited:
There is a lot of blind faith when Eddie is concerned.
Eddie was good for Collingwood, but Collingwood was pretty good for Eddie! Don’t overlook that.

For the first decade absolutely. The second decade not in my opinion. I understand that blind spot remains for some I just can’t cop how out of touch he is anymore.

Eddie was always the biggest and most powerful personality in the room.

From all reports, since he's gone it's been a contest as to who is "the boss" down at the club, however it appears rudderless from a board level. Eddie would have been that rudder, the one steering things along, however who that person now is appears to be murky.

Korda and Murphy clearly both want to be president but IMO, the people who should decide this should not be the board but the members (social club, legends, club 5).

Without Eddie at the moment, the club appears to be relatively directionless and without someone to steer the ship, time for that to end. For a long time it has been Ed and without him the place isn't quite the same, which I why I agree with Murphy's sentiment that maximum terms on the board need to be introduced to ensure the club actually prepares for succession.
We won't have answers until April. The club seemed to suggest the process of finding a new President would take two months.

For the first decade absolutely. The second decade not in my opinion. I understand that blind spot remains for some I just can’t cop how out of touch he is anymore.
Eddie's peak was the 2000s, culminating in the 2010 Premiership.

The coaching handover is when things started deteriorating. I was annoyed with the manner of his departure in February, but Blind Freddy could see he'd been there a few years too long.

He’s a megalomaniac like Andrews. The only difference is that the CFC had the foresight and courage to move him on.

Last edited:
Bit of a nothing article by Caro, restrained, but some background detail some might not be aware of.

The sense that Ed feels hurt and betrayed is, I suppose, of some significance.

I’ll be the plonker because he’s lost the plot. McGuire f’ed up yet he STILL considers that others took it the wrong way. The lack of humility is impressive in a bizarre way. It doesn’t change how I view his tenure, but it’s pushing me toward turning off from McGuire the media personality.

He definitely stuffed up the press conference, but if you think that Eddie meant that he was proud of Collingwood's history of racism, then you would indeed be a plonker. Personally, I think he's still got it wrong though. I don't think that anyone did take his comments the wrong way. Everyone knew what he was trying to say, but lots chose to misrepresent his meaning as it gave an excuse to lay the boots in.

Last edited:
He definitely stuffed up the press conference, but if you think that Eddie meant that he was proud of Collingwood's history of racism, then you would indeed be a plonker. Personally, I think he's still got it wrong though. I don't think that anyone did take his comments the wrong way. Everyone knew what he was trying to say, but lots chose to misrepresent his meaning as it gave an excuse to lay the boots in.
I’m pretty sure nobody actually thinks he meant he was ‘proud’. Eddie is the plonker Sr36, he had plenty of time to prepare that speech, and that’s how he started it. Saying sorry might have been a better opening. The guy is so wrapped up in himself, and he’s too clever by half. He finally fell on his sword.

I’m pretty sure nobody actually thinks he meant he was ‘proud’. Eddie is the plonker Sr36, he had plenty of time to prepare that speech, and that’s how he started it. Saying sorry might have been a better opening. The guy is so wrapped up in himself, and he’s too clever by half. He finally fell on his sword.
Did you listen to Sizer. Said the same thing Eddie was trying to say, but didn't butcher it.

Did you listen to Sizer. Said the same thing Eddie was trying to say, but didn't butcher it.
I didn’t hear what she said, however people aren’t going to jump all over you as an Indigenous person for making those comments. Eddie needed to do better, especially with his track record, but didn’t. It seems that’s too difficult for some people to accept or comprehend.
I’m done with this topic, tonight is our first game without Eddie, hopefully that brings new change.
I’m about to watch Collingwood, have a good night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a nothing article by Caro, restrained, but some background detail some might not be aware of.

The sense that Ed feels hurt and betrayed is, I suppose, of some significance.

I wonder if Ed is upset for Ed, or upset for Collingwood?

If the board had instead unified behind Ed, how would that have been in Collingwood’s best interests? Wouldn’t that have merely highlighted how out-of-touch the board are, and they all would have had to go?

If Ed feels hurt and betrayed, surely that indicates a lack of contrition for his stuff-ups, and therefore reinforces the decision for him to go was the right one?

If the board had instead unified behind Ed, how would that have been in Collingwood’s best interests? Wouldn’t that have merely highlighted how out-of-touch the board are, and they all would have had to go?

If Ed feels hurt and betrayed, surely that indicates a lack of contrition for his stuff-ups, and therefore reinforces the decision for him to go was the right one?

Ed would most certainly be upset for his own sake at this stage.

This is understandable, to the extent that his identity has been entwined with the Collingwood presidency for so long, and he'd be struggling right now to process what has happened and what happens next.

He'll be okay, and at some stage he'll be more peacefully reconciled to being ousted. I suspect we'll hear/read some mixed messages from a bruised ego for a while, though, before he finds that peace.

However, I'm not sure that his psychological makeup will allow him to be contrite or to accept that the club needed to evolve without him.

This is my sense of the situation.

I think the element of the article that hit hardest with me was the challenge ahead of the club to find a successor. Ultimately I think that boils down to how you perceive his performance.

Personally you or I could have done as well over the past three months (basically don’t start that presser with the proud comments), most people with an executive background and the time to invest could have had the same impact over the past few years, a strong candidate would be required to replace the work he did in the first 10 years and a once in a generation candidate to do what he did in those first 10 years across 20 years.

My sense is that maximum terms are coming so the club are on the hunt for a strong candidate. Where I sit though is that even if the aspirations of the selection committee fall short and we land on a candidate of similar quality to Ed over the past few years (minus the gaffes) then we’ll be well placed. I don’t think it’s much to ask for either.

His role in the debacle that the club has become should not be forgotten.

Its easy to blame Bucks, he has made some mistakes and seems to struggle with game plan etc but the architect of our demise is McGuire.

He can't hide behind his board or the admin of the club because nothing happened down there without his input and approval.

TERM LIMITS MUST BE INTRODUCED so that this never happens again. One man is not bigger than the club.

His role in the debacle that the club has become should not be forgotten.

Its easy to blame Bucks, he has made some mistakes and seems to struggle with game plan etc but the architect of our demise is McGuire.

He can't hide behind his board or the admin of the club because nothing happened down there without his input and approval.

TERM LIMITS MUST BE INTRODUCED so that this never happens again. One man is not bigger than the club.
He is the root cause of everything that is wrong with the Club.

He is the root cause of everything that is wrong with the Club.

Pretty much because he had complete control. And that is why the current board have to at the very least all stand for re-election. No more board jobs being gifted under casual vacancy.

Where we are as a Club at the moment will be McGuire's legacy - the euphoria of 2010 is but a distant memory.

The disastrous result of appointing Buckley as Coach.
The fact we actually had to have the review into racism at the Club
The Allan/Balme fiasco
The salary cap disaster and the handling of the Treloar situation
Beams

have I missed any?

These are the tings he will be remembered for.

But hey, we have a Netball team!!!!

Where we are as a Club at the moment will be McGuire's legacy - the euphoria of 2010 is but a distant memory.

The Allan/Balme fiasco
Beams

have I missed any?

Sorry mate, you could make a list like that about many clubs. If you believe the only club that has racism is Collingwood, then I think you are sadly mistaken.
I don't doubt that the review was needed, however, the media have been out to get Eddie and CFC for a long time and they were tried, judged and sentenced by them well before the review took place.

A grand final, 2 prelims, a semi and an EF in 9 seasons is hardly a disaster?

Yeah, sure, there have been a handful of teams and coaches that have done better, but the vast majority have done far worse.

Ken Hinckley has been coaching roughly the same time, has a worse record, and yet why isn’t he under the same scrutiny from the wider AFL community?

Why isn’t Leon Cameron under the same scrutiny from the wider AFL community?

I’ve hardly been a cheerleader for Ed, but his legacy will be that he left the club in a far far stronger position that what he inherited.

Yeah, that wasn’t good ... but hopefully we can now put a line under that and be better.

The Allan/Balme fiasco

Well, yeah, the general revolving door of footy bosses hasn’t been good. IIRC Buckley has had 6? (Walsh, Eade, Balme, Allen, Walsh, Wright)?

The salary cap disaster ...

There is still water to go under that bridge on that one. Let’s see how things look after 2 years. We may end up being in a far more competitive position than other clubs and it may yet end up being a masterstroke.

...and the handling of the Treloar situation

It was poorly handled.

I don’t have a problem with Beams coming back, but it should have been seen as more like a Chris Tarrant thing with the prodigal son returning home for a season or two. Not something that we should have paid through the nose for in draft positions and salary cap.

have I missed any?

Yep. The pubs fiasco. The Adam Goodes thing. The Caroline Wilson thing.

IMO he’ll be remembered as a proud Collingwood man and strong supporter for the game, outspoken, prone to the occasional gaffe, but always striving to get the best for Collingwood and the competition.

Two netball teams actually. Plus AFLW and VFLW teams. Plus a VFL team (we were one of the first, IIRC second only to Geelong).

Plus decent training and club facilities ... four build phases along the journey?

Plus a home ground with decent facilities that we can fit into.

Plus an AFL Premiership trophy added to the cabinet. Our VFLW girls have added one too.

Plus $18 million in the bank

Plus plans underway for the new medical centre.

He’s done alright.

The Allan/Balme fiasco
Beams

have I missed any?

Doc,
I agree with what you have stated are issues....
We have learnt nothing from history... Shaw when his coaching tenure came to an end only 10 years earlier had stated that in hindsight he should have undertaken an Assistant Coaching apprenticeship... yet we appointed Buckley with no experience...

My issue is with the entire Board in that they continually failed in the responsibilities of their role. My umbrage is the Lack of Governance and accountability within the Club by the Board:
Who was responsible for Geoff Walsh?.. Geoff Walsh was in charge of the Football Department. Everything that has occurred within the club occurred under his purview. It is quite clear he did sweet FA
List Management (Recruitment/ Salaries)
Salary Cap and the Treloar situation
Coaching (Assistant coaches/ development coaches/ game plan/ injury management) - lack of development
Jobs for the boys v. best available
If Walsh had done his role effectively would there have been a review in 2017

The Board allowing Eddie to run roughshod over them and treat the place like his own fiefdom
The Board allowing the Gubby Allen/ Neil Balme fiacso
The issue of racism within the club over a period of time occurred on the Board's watch

If the Board had performed their role with Integrity and had overseen the performance of all staff including the President and GM of Football we would not be in this position. The club is only as good as the Board in place. Culture starts from the top. It is difficult to create a culture without integrity.

Once Richmond got got their Board in place and started holding each member to account, removed the Old Boys Club and implemented Governance and appointed people based on merit rather than friendship it permeated down. Everybody being held to account

Our Board has failed the club. Walsh should have gone.... but that should have been the beginning, not the end. But under Ed's Presidency it is about deflecting blame and blaming its enemies in the media of being jealous.

Ed's legacy would have been substantial if our Board had controlled their President rather than the President controlling his Board. Ed should have had NO control or minimal involvement in any of the issues you highlighted other than the "Do Better" report. This was a cluster**** from the start.

He said at the start of the review that the club would be totally transparent...
However, when the report was received (and I assume once he read the report and learned how damning the findings were), he then reported the findings would be kept within the club...
The Board should have acted with integrity and acknowledged the findings and faced the consequences... But they did nothing
From that moment on they lost control of the situation. The the findings were then leaked...
Ed as did every other Board member speaking that day was given a script on which to read from...
Ed went off script...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back