Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why was it included in the report and continued to be brought up?
Surely it holds no relevance anymore considering it was so long ago now?

I didn't say it wasn't relevant. My point is that no single comment from Ed was the cause of his undoing.

The most significant comment of all, perhaps, was the one he used to open Collingwood's discussion of the report. His declaration of a 'proud day' was misinterpreted, no doubt, but it brought an accumulation of factors crashing down upon his head.

There's a lot of unfairness about Ed's departure, but I don't think taking aim at Larissa Behrendt because of something she said about Bess Price 10 years ago will do anything to make things right.

I didn't say it wasn't relevant. My point is that no single comment from Ed was the cause of his undoing.

The most significant comment of all, perhaps, was the one he used to open Collingwood's discussion of the report. His declaration of a 'proud day' was misinterpreted, no doubt, but it brought an accumulation of factors crashing down upon his head.

There's a lot of unfairness about Ed's departure, but I don't think taking aim at Larissa Behrendt because of something she said about Bess Price 10 years ago will do anything to make things right.

Correct, it won't make it right but it just highlights the double standards that exist.
I realise McGuire is on the left side of politics, those faux pas are usually excused for liberals. It seems as though this time he was eaten by his own

Surely that’s a very poor definition of racism?

Is she seriously suggesting that every organisation that doesn’t have “the right“ processes in place has systemic racism?
Did you read the review report? That's how it was defined and what the criticism of CFC was about. The reaction to the report was ridiculous and showed no understanding of the report.

I don't like the terminology used because of how inflammatory it was, but the criticism was valid from a perspective of safeguarding inclusive practice. But it's been universally misunderstood.

Now that the trash has been taken out, that offensive odour is gradually going away too.
I find your constant abuse of him rather distasteful.
He was a fantastic President who simply stayed in the role too long IMO.

Now that the trash has been taken out, that offensive odour is gradually going away too.
Plenty of players will also be hiding their pleasure, Pies need a Pres who won't attract mockery.
I've been a critic of Ed, but those comments are not warranted - make an objective assessment of his presidency rather than remarks like that

Plenty of players will also be hiding their pleasure, Pies need a Pres who won't attract mockery.
I can still smell s**t though?

How do you know how players feel about Ed? I imagine they have a very different perception of him than the general public or supporters as they would enjoy an intimacy with him that is denied to the rest of us. I suspect the vast majority really like him and would be sorry to see him go.

I find your constant abuse of him rather distasteful.
He was a fantastic President who simply stayed in the role too long IMO.
Precisely. I wanted him out, entirely because of how long he'd been in the role and the fact was that he garnered quite a lot of negative media attention.

However, anyone trying to label him a bad prez is deluded

Sounds about right. Ban authentic opinion. I do think he is trash, of low order. Upgrade needed urgently. We are blessed the opportunity has arrived.

That is such a disrespectful thing to say, even if you do feel that strongly.

Why such vitriol? Did he piss in your KornFlakes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds about right. Ban authentic opinion. I do think he is trash, of low order. Upgrade needed urgently. We are blessed the opportunity has arrived.

Sure you're not projecting? Sure it isn't you who is trash and of a lower order of being? Cerebral upgrade overdue?

How else to explain someone who seems to derive pleasure from baiting Collingwood supporters on a sensitive issue? Again and again you put your abuse out there, saying nothing new and adding nothing of substance, but always after a reaction.

You and your posts reek of the sewer.

He was one of the leaders of a fan group known as the "Knights of Abbotsford" about a decade ago. They were opposed to McGuire.

I'm not 100% certain, but he was a photographer at our VFL games as well.

Before his passing, a member of my wife's family was Father Bob's right hand man. There is nothing in this world that Ed could do that Father Bob hasn't seen a thousand times before.

Seems that Beams is the only player or ex player over Eddies tenure that has had the decency to publicly back Eddie. Not a fan of Beams but at least he had the guts to stand up and be counted. Any other players? Crickets chirping
Beams also used it as an opportunity to clear his name

I have found it intriguing that many posters have been scathing at Eddie and the club for taking a risk on a bloke with mental health issues, but also have the cheek to be scathing towards the club about suggestions that the club is non-inclusive. It seems that many are just demanding the club to be exclusive based on the individual posters prejudices.

I too hope we're exclusive - and only recruit good footballers. I'm pissed off that we wasted early picks in the past on Richie Cole and Chris Egan and missed guys like Charlie Cameron and Eddie Betts.
Mental health in Beams’ case affected his ability to perform. Or maybe he’s just a dickhead and didn’t care to perform. I’d imagine race is less likely to affect that.

Either was the issue with Beams was we pissed away salary cap space and draft picks for nothing, not his mental health.

Mental health in Beams’ case affected his ability to perform. Or maybe he’s just a dickhead and didn’t care to perform. I’d imagine race is less likely to affect that.

Either was the issue with Beams was we pissed away salary cap space and draft picks for nothing, not his mental health.
It hadn't affected his ability to perform until we got him back. He was a star. The claims that we shouldn't have recruited him because he had mental health issues are about as definitive in terms of non-inclusiveness as it gets. It didn't work out, but I hope that we aren't going to automatically cross off anyone with mental health issues in the future.

Club needs to get with the program on this, or H might be right in it taking a long time to overcome. Links still on the club website to Eddie's 'Proud' speech, along with a glowing congrats to him. But nothing on an official sorry statement from the club, or the ones the players did off their own back, b/c of the club's stubbornness in dragging its heels....

Still trying to appease the individuals who... "if not quite being bigger than the Club, then at least having an unhealthy degree of influence over Club culture".

Last edited:
Club needs to get with the program on this, or H might be right in it taking a long time to overcome. Links still on the club website to Eddie's 'Proud' speech, along with a glowing congrats to him. But nothing on an official sorry statement from the club, or the ones the players did off their own back, b/c of the club's stubbornness in dragging its heels....

Still trying appease the individuals who... "if not quite being bigger than the Club, then at least having an unhealthy degree of influence over Club culture".
I don't think an acknowledgment of wrongdoing during H's tenure will come while he's pursuing legal action against us and the AFL. That would be a pretty substantial concession in his favour I imagine.

Didn't in 2018 or the 1st 11 rounds of 2019.

So those first 11 rounds that he played averagely in makes the whole contract worth it?

Happy for you to point me in the direction of where I suggested that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back