mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
It hadn't affected his ability to perform until we got him back. He was a star. The claims that we shouldn't have recruited him because he had mental health issues are about as definitive in terms of non-inclusiveness as it gets. It didn't work out, but I hope that we aren't going to automatically cross off anyone with mental health issues in the future.
The time we got him back is also the only time I particularly care about his ability to perform.

And I would have though his questionable character and price over reasons not to recruit before mental health anyways.

If you want to make a point of mental health and non inclusiveness I’d use Treloar instead.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why else you’d bring it up?

Just thought you'd like to be accurate with what you're saying rather than make broad motherhood statements which can be misconstrued.

Much like your claim that he played averagely across 2019. His 2019 output was consistent with his career average but that still had him in the top 50 possession winners league wide, and as our most effective goal kicking midfielder. So average by his standards is still pretty damn good which is contrary to what I think your intent was.

The time we got him back is also the only time I particularly care about his ability to perform.

And I would have though his questionable character and price over reasons not to recruit before mental health anyways.

If you want to make a point of mental health and non inclusiveness I’d use Treloar instead.
I'm not talking about the club in terms of not being inclusive. I'm talking about posters.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees
He was one of the leaders of a fan group known as the "Knights of Abbotsford" about a decade ago. They were opposed to McGuire.

I'm not 100% certain, but he was a photographer at our VFL games as well.

Yeah, he has had an axe to grind with Eddie for a long long time. Not sure what the origins are? Moving away from Vic Park?

Keiran Butler was another of the merry men that hates Eddie.

I thought Eddie should have left 18 months ago but this pile on and borderline bullying and moral high ground is beyond a joke.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
So if mental health didn’t effect his ability to perform, why did he retire after 11 games into a 4 year deal?

I didn't say it didn't affect him, I said it didn't affect him in 2018 and the 1st 11 rounds of 2019. At least not in any noticeable way.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It hadn't affected his ability to perform until we got him back. He was a star. The claims that we shouldn't have recruited him because he had mental health issues are about as definitive in terms of non-inclusiveness as it gets. It didn't work out, but I hope that we aren't going to automatically cross off anyone with mental health issues in the future.

He said himself that he came back to Collingwood to try and get the passion back for football.

Despite being a very good player before he came back, it was well known he was having gambling/mental issues and we completely overpaid for him both on a trade and contract front.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn't say it didn't affect him, I said it didn't affect him in 2018 and the 1st 11 rounds of 2019. At least not in any noticeable way.

Not in a football sense but his behaviour off field had clearly deteriorated and the red flags were everywhere.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, he has had an axe to grind with Eddie for a long long time. Not sure what the origins are? Moving away from Vic Park?

I thought Eddie should have left 18 months ago but this pile on and borderline bullying and moral high ground is beyond a joke.

The knights of abbotsford were gunning to lead in 2009 at the height of eds tenure. They were an embarrasding ticket, amatuers/idiots

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not in a football sense but his behaviour off field had clearly deteriorated and the red flags were everywhere.

Seriously? Apart from him changing his mind about staying following his B&F ceremony speech, what off field behaviours were evident in 2018 and early 2019?

I mean JDG has had some significant off-field issues but do you think any club wouldn't take him in a heartbeat?

I didn't want him but the stuff being just made up about him is just ridiculous.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The knights of abbotsford were gunning to lead in 2009 at the height of eds tenure. They were an embarrasding ticket, amatuers/idiots

You do realise that the Knights of Abbotsford just wanted Ed to focus on wining premierships at Collingwood as its first and foremost agenda. Similar to the Focus on Footy people at Richmond, it worked. In 2010 we won the flag.

Nothing wrong with members and fans wanting our club to be successful on the field.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea

Spot on.

I think Eddie should have stepped aside a few years ago, but the pile on against him has been a disgrace.

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Just thought you'd like to be accurate with what you're saying rather than make broad motherhood statements which can be misconstrued.

Much like your claim that he played averagely across 2019. His 2019 output was consistent with his career average but that still had him in the top 50 possession winners league wide, and as our most effective goal kicking midfielder. So average by his standards is still pretty damn good which is contrary to what I think your intent was.
Yes he was average, his stats were lower significantly lower than his best years and he didn’t have the same hurt factor ball in hand. Being our best goal kicking mid isn’t saying much when the rest of our midfield has an aversion to kicking goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mike123

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
I'm not talking about the club in terms of not being inclusive. I'm talking about posters.
And many posters here have tried to use Treloar’s mental health issues as justification for getting rid of him.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seriously? Apart from him changing his mind about staying following his B&F ceremony speech, what off field behaviours were evident in 2018 and early 2019?

I mean JDG has had some significant off-field issues but do you think any club wouldn't take him in a heartbeat?

I didn't want him but the stuff being just made up about him is just ridiculous.

You mean apart from extreme problem gambling, a drug abuse problem and self confessed severe depression after his dad passed?

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
You do realise that the Knights of Abbotsford just wanted Ed to focus on wining premierships at Collingwood as its first and foremost agenda. Similar to the Focus on Footy people at Richmond, it worked. In 2010 we won the flag.

Nothing wrong with members and fans wanting our club to be successful on the field.

There main agenda was to knize mm. There carping up to 2010 and the next few years after exposed then for being the most pathetic group of campaigners i've ever encountered on the internet.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Just to interject on the Beams chatter. I view it similarly to the Mayne discussion where there are two distinct components to it.

1. WTF were the club doing? I mean three words come to mind. Due. *******. Diligence.

2. How do you say no as a 28/29yo receiving the offers they did?

Both are intrinsically linked with this thread (McGuire). His decision making by going rogue and appointing Allen guided us down a path of royally screwing our salary cap (add Wells in for good measure). Number 2 is a little more nuanced. In both cases you can’t say no, but with saying yes there’s an expectation to deliver which obliterated Mayne’s first season and almost the entirety of Beams’ time back. There were clearly other issues at play with Beams although the contract and pressure of his return would have not helped the situation. We were simply lucky the club realised Mayne was done as a forward or we’d have got the same value from him as Beams. I also thought some more on your Q Pragmatic Shill and I now suspect the video acceptance may not have been Beams’ choice. If the rumours circulating last year have any truth to them I would be very surprised if he’s welcome anywhere near the club.

On another note I’m not a fan of the support I’ve read for McGuire across a couple of threads in terms of him not being a racist. He presided over an environment that allowed systemic racism to propagate, he is a casual racist given his King Kong “gaffe” and not meaning it doesn’t preclude him from being one. That said it shouldn’t define him or his presidency because he needed to go for this type of meddling in football matters as much as his racism.

Edit: the Bulldogs will learn this hard lesson themselves over the next couple of years. Dunkley is gone post 2021 and with Bont entering FA there will be big offers put in front of Naughton, Williams, Lipinski and Daniel to see what shakes loose. Right now they might be on a combined $1.6-1.8m, but for 2022 if they continue to trend as they did in 2020 that figure jumps to $3m on the open market. I guess the irony is we could land Dunkley, who is very much a “scheme fit”, on the cheap if we play our cards right.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes he was average, his stats were lower significantly lower than his best years and he didn’t have the same hurt factor ball in hand. Being our best goal kicking mid isn’t saying much when the rest of our midfield has an aversion to kicking goals.

:laughing: :laughing:

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
You mean apart from extreme problem gambling, a drug abuse problem and self confessed severe depression after his dad passed?

Really? He gambled so it's a problem? Do you know how much he bet and with whom? Drugs? Where's the evidence of drugs? Depression was well known. In fact, was publicly known and he had it in 2018, your point?

PS: Still awaiting evidence of the $150M grants........... "crickets"

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really? He gambled so it's a problem? Do you know how much he bet and with whom? Drugs? Where's the evidence of drugs? Depression was well known. In fact, was publicly known and he had it in 2018, your point?

I would say going into debts of hundreds of thousands due to gambling would count as a problem, the club hired a private investigator to look into his issues. His addiction to prescription drugs was also well known. I think the point is fairly self-explanatory.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would say going into debts of hundreds of thousands due to gambling would count as a problem, the club hired a private investigator to look into his issues. His addiction to prescription drugs was also well known. I think the point is fairly self-explanatory.

Evidence?

Where is this mention of the club hiring a PI? Where is this evidence of huge debt? Where has it been said he was addicted to prescription meds in 2018 and early 2019? Well known by whom?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Evidence?

Where is this mention of the club hiring a PI? Where is this evidence of huge debt? Where has it been said he was addicted to prescription meds in 2018 and early 2019? Well known by whom?

Well there were strong strong rumours at the time, and afterwards it was confirmed by Beams himself that all those things were happening... So if randoms on Bigfooty knew, i would hope the club knew...

And here's more evidence if you want about the private investigator, I think everyone knows about it except for you...

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well there were strong strong rumours at the time, and afterwards it was confirmed by Beams himself that all those things were happening... So if randoms on Bigfooty knew, i would hope the club knew...

And here's more evidence if you want about the private investigator, I think everyone knows about it except for you...

Nice, hide your evidence behind a paywall.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Nice, hide your evidence behind a paywall.
You can get around it with some browser extensions that sneak around paywalls, but here's the text:

On September 1, 2018 Dayne Beams stood in front of the Brisbane faithful and declared his love for the club and his future within it.
That connection was the “driving factor” in him wanting to honour his contract, with Beams’ final message this: “I love you boys”.

But in the hours after that best-and-fairest second-placing the Lions reconciled themselves to his eventual departure.

Beams was railing against finishing behind Dayne Zorko, adamant he was the worthy winner during a long and emotional late-night discussion with club powerbrokers.

It would take the better part of two months for Beams to eventually be traded to Collingwood, yet by the end of that night the Lions knew they would trade him if the right deal was presented.

As one Lions insider said on Tuesday, a captain who should be the most low-maintenance figure at a football club had instead become its most high maintenance.

Brisbane had reconciled themselves with trading Beams as long as Collingwood came up with a suitable deal.

Beams is now a Collingwood player in name only as his management and the club look towards a financial settlement that could still be months in the making. But to present this is a case of Collingwood bungling a $2 million deal with reckless disregard for Beams’ issues is entirely unfair too.

Collingwood were entirely aware that Beams’ mental health problems were multifaceted and borne out of more than grief for his father’s passing.

The club that hired a private investigator and spoke to chief commissioner Christine Nixon about the risk profile of Ben Cousins shared the view of Brisbane’s mental health experts.

That like many players in football Beams would need help and guidance to deal with mental health but could be effectively managed for the remainder of his career.

But Beams was the last deal done in trade week — half an hour to deadline — and if the Lions weren’t particularly desperate to retain Beams (having just traded for Lachie Neale) they would have absolutely done so without a quality trade.

What has become apparent is that the $2 million deal handed to Beams might be as problematic from a long-term perspective than the two first-round picks handed away for Beams.

If Collingwood cannot get salary cap relief from the AFL for Beams’ extraordinary circumstances — and why wouldn’t they at least ask — they will be on the hook for whatever they eventually settle with Beams for.

Brodie Grundy’s seven-year deal actually gives the Pies flexibility to defer some of his deal to later years.

But the Pies will only learn the fallout from Beams’ salary if Tom Phillips is tipped out or Jordan De Goey accepts a mega-deal that the Pies could have matched with that Beams cap space.

The Pies know more than anyone premierships are won and lost on fine margins, privately aware they wouldn’t have done the deal if they hadn’t been so close against West Coast.

Only time will tell whether those selections and cap space cost them the players that might have been the difference when the next opportunity comes around.

Herald Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back