Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How he chooses to spend/waste his money is his concern. If it's gambling then so be it. It wasn't affecting his play in 2018 and the 1st 11 rounds of 2019. Still waiting for you to prove otherwise.
His play in 2019 clearly dropped off from 2018...

We are all racists.
Have you ever been cut off in traffic by an Asian driver and called F.....n Asian drivers?
Did you have friends of European background and call him a Stupid WOG?
Don’t lie to just fit in with the WOKE crowd.
I have always considered this a slightly different argument but that’s probably wrong. We all have views of different races positive and negative so on that basis we all have racist bones if you like. I guess the trick for an equal society is everyone tempering those views so no one is disadvantaged. Utopian for sure and probably unattainable. Doesn’t stop it being something to aim for.

Does remind me of a funny story.

Years ago I was driving down through the south east with some kids on board. Typical bored teenagers in a bit of a mood. One son said to the other “we are now entering Jewtown”. I said “Pete really”. He said “Well that’s what Lauren calls it”

Lauren was the very nice Jewish girlfriend who lived in “Jewtown”. For all my woke tendencies and worries about hypocrisy I could never work out the rights and wrongs of that one.

Does remind me of a funny story.

Years ago I was driving down through the south east with some kids on board. Typical bored teenagers in a bit of a mood. One son said to the other “we are now entering Jewtown”. I said “Pete really”. He said “Well that’s what Lauren calls it”

Lauren was the very nice Jewish girlfriend who lived in “Jewtown”. For all my woke tendencies and worries about hypocrisy I could never work out the rights and wrongs of that one.

The problem is that we are hard wired to try to work out the rights and wrongs - to categorise on the flimsiest evidence. My dog sniffs other dogs butts and then makes an instant assessment - friend or foe - and he either wants to play or fight. We're not much different. We wear a suit to court because we know that that will make us categorised, and treated differently - because we've acquired a stereotype that our initial instincts react to. And the same goes with race. We can, do and will overcome it. But it's going to be more about positive interactions than posturing and accusing. Some of my dog's foes have become friends, but it hasn't been due to the posturing, posing and fighting - that just makes one of them withdraw until they come back to fight another day - it's because he's spent time with them and come to like the smell of their butt - causing the stereotype to change - or perhaps it's just gone from being a negative to a positive stereotype.

Wow. Quite a generalisation and pretty far off the mark. Are there racists amongst boomers ? More so than millennials ? I would say yes to both but to say boomers are racists is a step too far. My view is age lends itself to conservatism and a loss of ideals. The boomers had grandiose ideals and not doubt have relaxed the strength of those views and that will likely happen with the millennials over time. But we ain’t all racists.

I can’t dispute it’s a generalisation and it was poorly worded, but when every boomer I personally know is a racist is it worthy of a “wow” response? Maybe to you, but absolutely not to me. Given you’ve acknowledged boomers are more inclined to be conservative and there’s a natural shift in the power of generations my point on the decline of the liberal party stands unless they shift on something. If I were an adviser to anyone with a leadership role of that party I’d suggest adopting greener policies with benefits to the economy.

On a side note have you taken a look at the advisory group we’ve appointed? How many boomers are on the panel?

We are all racists.
Have you ever been cut off in traffic by an Asian driver and called F.....n Asian drivers?
Did you have friends of European background and call him a Stupid WOG?
Don’t lie to just fit in with the WOKE crowd.
I have abused an "Asian driver", but it's usually when I'm the passenger and my wife is driving. I guess I am a racist.

I can’t dispute it’s a generalisation and it was poorly worded, but when every boomer I personally know is a racist is it worthy of a “wow” response? Maybe to you, but absolutely not to me. Given you’ve acknowledged boomers are more inclined to be conservative and there’s a natural shift in the power of generations my point on the decline of the liberal party stands unless they shift on something. If I were an adviser to anyone with a leadership role of that party I’d suggest adopting greener policies with benefits to the economy.

On a side note have you taken a look at the advisory group we’ve appointed? How many boomers are on the panel?
The good news is that we can still have negative stereotypes that we justify with limited personal anecdotes. "Every... that I know is...." We can keep the isms going, just shift the target when one target becomes socially unacceptable.

Not so much boomers are more inclined to be conservative than all generations become more conservative as they age. That’s the boomers now. I come right at the end of the boomers but the 60’s was very idealistic and the counter culture urge to change the world was probably stronger in force than today’s younger generations. Still there were plenty of conservative racist young people then, but there is now also.

While everyone on the panel are younger than boomers I am not sure that means a lot. Age wise the boomer generation is mostly past working age. Also the leader of the proud boys is in his 30’s and the founder is GenX. All those militant hate merchants that gathered in the Grampians a few weeks ago were 20-30 something males judging by the shirtless photo they took

Point is I think you will find all the views in all the age groups. Lot of work to do to make sure all age groups are educated and not racist.

His play in 2019 clearly dropped off from 2018...

Seemed to be playing a different role across both seasons and adjusting to a new team so not unexpected that his possession numbers would be down. People are just looking for reasons to justify the vitriol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so much boomers are more inclined to be conservative than all generations become more conservative as they age. That’s the boomers now. I come right at the end of the boomers but the 60’s was very idealistic and the counter culture urge to change the world was probably stronger in force than today’s younger generations. Still there were plenty of conservative racist young people then, but there is now also.

While everyone on the panel are younger than boomers I am not sure that means a lot. Age wise the boomer generation is mostly past working age. Also the leader of the proud boys is in his 30’s and the founder is GenX. All those militant hate merchants that gathered in the Grampians a few weeks ago were 20-30 something males judging by the shirtless photo they took

Point is I think you will find all the views in all the age groups. Lot of work to do to make sure all age groups are educated and not racist.

I completely disagree with your generalisation that people tend toward conservatism as they age. People of my generation are growing more progressive as they’ve lived through the rise of social media and begin to better understand the impacts of climate change.

Boomers were living through a post war expansion era whereas millennials are living through a post globalisation social media expansion era. IMO, that will throw up far more progressive views as people age.

As with all generations and walks of life there are non conformists which breeds a hardcore on either the left or right. Whether you’re with Antifa or the proud boys that’s the extreme and thankfully the silent minority.

I’m going to take my leave of the discussion though because my agist views mean I won’t be giving ground on the wrongs of the boomer generation and I don’t think that’s a positive the the thread.

I completely disagree with your generalisation that people tend toward conservatism as they age. People of my generation are growing more progressive as they’ve lived through the rise of social media and begin to better understand the impacts of climate change.

Boomers were living through a post war expansion era whereas millennials are living through a post globalisation social media expansion era. IMO, that will throw up far more progressive views as people age.

As with all generations and walks of life there are non conformists which breeds a hardcore on either the left or right. Whether you’re with Antifa or the proud boys that’s the extreme and thankfully the silent minority.

I’m going to take my leave of the discussion though because my agist views mean I won’t be giving ground on the wrongs of the boomer generation and I don’t think that’s a positive the the thread.

I was born in 1960 so I'm either of the last year of the boomer cohort or just missed it depending on which definition you ascribe to. I've always identified as a boomer in discussions such as this. I think the boomer cohort is the most eclectic of the lot, comprising people born into the hardship of postwar life up to and including people like myself. That to me means it's incredibly difficult to get consistency in those generalisations.

I'm a lefty, but I'm also becoming more conservative as I age. I have my parents predilection to work hard and accumulate wealth. I certainly don't consider myself racist although growing up in a Vic/NSW border town in the 70's I was a very different person exposed to very different attitudes than is the norm now. I acknowledge my sins of those times in terms of use of language. There was never any malice in it, it was just the accepted norm.

I think conservative is the wrong word for the changes brought about by aging that GC is referring to. That's if we're referring to the US political category of conservatism. It's more to do with the certainties of youth often fade and thus a middle ground with more doubt often ensues(when views don't get rusted on). The young will probably continue to be stronger activists - advocates for change that may be either Conservative or Progressive in US political terms - depending on which way the political wind is blowing. The old will probably continue to be more moderate - although they may sometimes appear more extreme due to rusted on views. The firebrands will become diplomats and be replaced by fresh youthful firebrands.

Last edited:
I was born in 1960 so I'm either of the last year of the boomer cohort or just missed it depending on which definition you ascribe to. I've always identified as a boomer in discussions such as this. I think the boomer cohort is the most eclectic of the lot, comprising people born into the hardship of postwar life up to and including people like myself. That to me means it's incredibly difficult to get consistency in those generalisations.

I'm a lefty, but I'm also becoming more conservative as I age. I have my parents predilection to work hard and accumulate wealth. I certainly don't consider myself racist although growing up in a Vic/NSW border town in the 70's I was a very different person exposed to very different attitudes than is the norm now. I acknowledge my sins of those times in terms of use of language. There was never any malice in it, it was just the accepted norm.

I'm reminded of a Smiths song -

the 60s were an evil time
everybody smoked drugs
and had sex all the time

I'm reminded of a Smiths song -

the 60s were an evil time
everybody smoked drugs
and had sex all the time

I missed that party but the 70's weren't too different.

Yep it doesn't sound like we will get anywhere. Still in reply to above the boomers with civil rights, flower power, communal living etc etc had really strong aims to change the world and a lot did change. Hugely progressive views at that time and believed they would stay the course. Was probably too utopian.

Not sure social media expansion will save the millenials, if they need saving. I know a lot of millenials and the range of views aint that different to what I grew up with.

Seemed to be playing a different role across both seasons and adjusting to a new team so not unexpected that his possession numbers would be down. People are just looking for reasons to justify the vitriol.

People often think that every investment that fails was a terrible investment. But if you get ten to one on a horse that will win half the time, it's a great bet - even if it loses.

I do think Beams was a poor investment due to the price we paid and odds of us winning or losing. Him having mental health issues should have lowered the price as it increased the risk, as should have his age, but him having mental health issues shouldn't have stopped anyone investing in Dayne Beams - he was an AFL star with those issues. So I agree with those who are critical of the trade due to the price, but think that those who say we shouldn't have looked at him at all due to his mental health issues are way off the mark, as well as it being an unethical view.

Last edited:

Same year as me. Agree never quite sure if we are or aren't boomers. On the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back