Eddie McGuire

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't like how he uses his media presence to take cheap shots at other clubs. I don't like his forced breaking the fourth wall "yay Pies, boo Blues" references when he's hosting a game featuring one of those teams (like he really cares about Carlton when they've barely been relevant in his entire tenure as president of Collingwood). I don't like his mind boggling 'what were you thinking?' gaffes.

But overall, he's been great for Collingwood and great for the league. Credit where it's due.

Success. Nothing more, nothing less, when it comes to our own there’s one very bad thing Australians are known for: tall poppy syndrome. Eddie is probably our biggest victim of it. Once Australians reach that golden gate of success we as a people pounce and take a huge nasty dump on them, half the time not really knowing why they are doing it in the first place. All of a sudden struggling Eddie the sports reporter is too big for his britches. Actors, Athletes, Football stars and TV presenters....the list is long...

Many years ago before he was famous Eddie was just a sports reporter on Channel 10, little known because nobody watched Channel 10 unless you were a "Neighbours" fan.

Many people had sympathy for him when Plugger blew a fuse and threw a crutch at him...."poor Eddie, he was only doing his job"

Then Eddie makes his move, he ends up at Nine and within a couple of years he's hosting the most popular footy show of all time, he becomes Collingwood President solely because of that fact. Bingo! Instantly hated! The raw truth is that the average person will HATE YOU for being special. The more successful you become and the more happier, healthier, fitter, more content you are, the more the average person begins to hate you.

Last edited:

He took Collingwood from being a struggling AFL club to being one of the most powerful. The only thing I don't understand is how he's lasted as long as he has since making the "succession plan" mistake in 2011, a mistake that the Collingwood club is still paying for. I can't think of another President who would have survived.

Even though I like him, I'd say it's his ego, one eyed support of Collingwood, Goodes/Wilson comments, and him being part of that boys club (Dermott, Brayshaw, Newman, Frawley etc al) that make people dislike him.
He and JB rarely interact with each other. They will both tell you that.

6am-9am 5 mornings a week on Triple M, would have to wake up at 4:30am those mornings
5x episodes of Hot Seat every week, would take around eight hours out of his week I reckon (probably on one or two days)
Fox Footy panel three or four times a week, several hour long commitments a few times a weekend
Thursday night Footy Show - very big commitment, six or seven day preparation every single week
Collingwood president full-time, always has to find time to sort out club issues and finances and s**t
Extra leisure time for recreational activities
Has a wife
Has kids
Requires sleep
Required food and water
Probably more I've left out...

I don't know how he finds the time. Love him or hate him, his commitment to the game is amazing. Wouldn't surprise me if he averaged 5 hours of sleep a night.

I like Eddie, he is one of those people that brings passion to the sport and with that there are times when he says things that I disagree with but then again there are many club presidents that are pretty much faceless no names that are never seen or heard off, he is the kind of person that you would want in your corner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how Bucks would feel if the AFL withdrew Ed's accreditation because of a made up story or foot in mouth gaffe... what would Bucks say then. Oh sorry different rules for Ed, he is beyond reproach.

The raw truth is that the average person will HATE YOU for being special. The more successful you become and the more happier, healthier, fitter, more content you are, the more the average person begins to hate you.
Not sure how many average people hate Elon Musk.

Not sure how many average people hate Elon Musk.
Oh i don't know about that, there are some who suggest that Elon Musk has all the hallmarks of a budding Bond movie super villain. Does he really want to nuke Mars? If that is indeed the case , the correct term may in fact be "environmentally-conscious galactic tyrant." Instead of a fluffy white Persian cat, Grand Moff Musk prefers to fondle a rather large set of "ghoulies" because you have to have some big balls to come up with some of his ideas. Eddie isn't quite at the "super villain" stage just yet.;)

I don't like how he uses his media presence to take cheap shots at other clubs. I don't like his forced breaking the fourth wall "yay Pies, boo Blues" references when he's hosting a game featuring one of those teams (like he really cares about Carlton when they've barely been relevant in his entire tenure as president of Collingwood). I don't like his mind boggling 'what were you thinking?' gaffes.

But overall, he's been great for Collingwood and great for the league. Credit where it's due.
Great for the VFL maybe.
Otherwise a total d***

Incredible job to make himself Collingwood President For Life after 1 premiership in 19 seasons. Of course, it took more than that. He's used his media positions and ever growing influence to bully and diminish anybody who would challenge him. He's not really talented as a talker or TV presenter. Got in with Kerry Packer in the '90s and was set from then on.

He has milked "I grew up in Broadmeadows" for every drop available. Collingwood nuffies see somebody just like them! Not a filthy rich Toorak person who was CEO of a ******* TV network. Something I find quite odd is they line up to go down on him but Collingwood hasn't really grown anymore than most VIC, WA and SA clubs have since 1998. That's his omnipresence at work I suppose. He's very good at spinning his personal agenda as a "What's best for Collingwood/football" thing. He comes off as thoughtful and intelligent to people who unsarcastically read the Herald Sun and listen to Triple M.

He's a crap commentator and shouldn't even be a commentator. Wouldn't be allowed in American sports, simple as that.

Football and the media will be better without him.

He's a crap commentator and shouldn't even be a commentator. Wouldn't be allowed in American sports, simple as that.
LOL. The 'cultural cringe' is alive and well!
You don't like Ed -okay, we get it.
But what's this crap about American sports? You think American sports commentators have higher standards than Australian sports commentators?? You're kidding, right?

Genuinely an excellent broadcaster and until the succession plan did a lot right at Collingwood. I think he's pretty likeable to be honest.

Strikes me as the sort of bloke that has no one around him to keep him in check. He's made a series of bad, emotion fuelled decisions.

How in God's name did he think he was qualified to be CEO of Nine? Why, when you have a successful coach and have your pick of all coaches in the league, would you hand the keys to an unproven favourite son who happens to be a mate?

That's the part I don't love about him.

The heads of American teams don't commentate games and they don't shitcan everybody who disagrees with them on a daily radio show.
...indirectly, some do just that. There are American sporting franchises (they are almost all franchises) that are owned either wholly or partially by media companies. Commentators working for these media companies know what their bosses want them to say. Do you really want that here??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back