Eddie McGuire

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
He mocked someone for their inability to toss a coin well.
That person happens to be disabled (but not obviously so at first glance).
He has mocked others for their inability to toss a coin properly.

Conclusion: He was quite literally treating this lady the same as any able bodied person.

Isn't that what we all want? Or should we treat disabled people differently?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Eddie says some stupid things. He should know better, but he is under a microscope and even a slight mishap is blown up to the nth degree.

If he is a racist or sexist or any other “ist” there should be some examples of him treating people poorly.

Poor words? Occasionally
Poor behaviour? Doesn’t seem so

I’d probably give him the benefit of the doubt and say he does more good than bad as a person. Might be totally wrong but most of the negative press Eddie get is cause of his own verbal folly’s.

Joking about drowning Caro is pretty hard to explain away.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm

Conclusion: He was quite literally treating this lady the same as any able bodied person.

How about he not shoot his mouth off ignorantly mocking people in the first place? Not the first time for him. Never learns.

Jul 8, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

"*******us Autisticus" was written in 1981 as a protest against the International Year of Disabled Persons, which Dury considered to be patronising. Dury was himself disabled by polio contracted in his youth. Fed up with repeated requests to get involved with charitable causes, Dury wrote an "anti-charity" song.

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The only reputations that have been damaged over the last few days are that of scumbag Pridham, the Sydney Football Club, and all of those people that showed their bigotry of low expectations by getting worked up over it.

Eddie was already known as someone prone to a faux pas.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
The only reputations that have been damaged over the last few days are that of scumbag Pridham, the Sydney Football Club, and all of those people that showed their bigotry of low expectations by getting worked up over it.

Eddie was already known as someone prone to a faux pas.
Unfortunately, Pridham does himself no favours when it comes to Eddie. He obviously hates Eddie and will leave no stone unturned in his desire to have a whack at him. It's so childish and obvious. Now Eddie is known for the odd gaffe it's true but the reactions of those who want to cut him down are hilarious when one considers the severity of the offense. Certainly his poor comments about Goodes required a strong response but this current incident is completely innocuous by comparison and I say that with all due respect to the lady involved because I'm fairly sure that even she would see the media response as completely over the top.

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I dont like him because the way he talks to contestants on the hot seat.
He pushes people the wrong way on it and has been a bit of a jerk a few times on it. Comes across as someone that's very arrogant and rude. I dont think he even knows half the time when he is doing it with the way he comes across to people. He needs to go away for a bit and learn how to talk to people. Someone that's lost touch with society.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately, Pridham does himself no favours when it comes to Eddie. He obviously hates Eddie and will leave no stone unturned in his desire to have a whack at him. It's so childish and obvious. Now Eddie is known for the odd gaffe it's true but the reactions of those who want to cut him down are hilarious when one considers the severity of the offense. Certainly his poor comments about Goodes required a strong response but this current incident is completely innocuous by comparison and I say that with all due respect to the lady involved because I'm fairly sure that even she would see the media response as completely over the top.
"Pooor comments about Goodes" required a a removal of AFL media accreditation. If it was anybody else they would have been gone!Then there was Caro then there was.....repeat and rinse

Towelboy

Debutant
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eddie has created this for himself. His outrage and story chasing when it involves any club other than ours has meant everyone is waiting for him to slip up in anyway. This time he has done nothing wrong but due to his history will cop it.

By the way Eddie and his media mates had a massive say in Collingwood winning the flag in 2010 the way they ran StKilda and Geelong through the dirt at every chance.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Eddie has been and still is great for football, unfortunately now Sam has been stuffed in the duck bag, Eddie has been elevated to no.1 duck at the shooting gallery.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
As is the case in the current climate of over analysis of AFL football it's another overblown beat-up.

I personally dislike Eddie McGuire, but he's apologised twice on-air, apologised again on his radio breakfast show today, apologised personally to Cynthia Banham and the Sydney Swans and stood himself down from his football commitments on the weekend. What else is required from the outraged?

Andrew Pridham's initial calling for AFL imposed sanctions is clearly ridiculous and after the initial outrage phase he's backed away from that now.

caspian

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
He's a knob, and should probably get a bit more media training, but I think I'd echo the general sentiment that the recent thing in particular has been blown completely out of proportion, and if anything is ultimately counter productive.

Prestigerrycomo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eddie has created this for himself. His outrage and story chasing when it involves any club other than ours has meant everyone is waiting for him to slip up in anyway. This time he has done nothing wrong but due to his history will cop it.

By the way Eddie and his media mates had a massive say in Collingwood winning the flag in 2010 the way they ran StKilda and Geelong through the dirt at every chance.
$5 says you aren't a Collingwood supporter

Loyal Lion

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions
I'm no fan of Eddie, in fact I quite like looking at his puffy, angry, red face when Collingwood are losing, (but that's only because he is the Pie's president) but he may be a boofhead, but in no way is he a bigot or racist (even the Adam Goodes comment was just a stupid, thoughtless comment at the time) & in no way was he intending to demean this person, only her coin tossing skills.

I watched it live & I had no idea who she was & I didn't even see that she had a cane with her. But that's beside the point. He was having a bit of fun at the tossing of a coin. It could have been anyone, even me or you! Maybe he should host the two-up games on Anzac Day at a local RSL club, prior to the big game! He can provide special commentary for the event.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
The problem with the perpetually outraged is that they are so busy lining up to point the finger that they do not take the time to consider forgiving those who are sorry for their actions. Oh, and their superiority complex.

There is no way on earth that Eddie meant to humiliate the lady who tossed the coin. When his mistake was pointed out to him he apologised quickly and seeming sincerely. It matters not that he has committed some indiscretions in the past as he is an imperfect human being which can be said of all of us.

What happened to forgiving a person who is genuinely sorry?

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Why did he need to make a negative comment regarding the coin-tosser regardless of who did it? The person could be nervous or just didn't time it perfectly.

It could be an amazing experience for the person to cherish as a great memory. I'm just unsure why he would need to ridicule the situation at all. No matter who took on the job.
Because he can't help himself. That's why.

Back