Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
I don't mind Eddie, I'd rather have him there than not.

I'd noticed the wonky coin toss and when he made his comment I replied out loud 'She's got a bloody walking stick mate!'

Clearly he didn't notice, but I think your comment hits the nail on the head, why have a dig at some old duck, or anyone for that matter, just because they're a bit iffy on their toss. It's a bit of a thing for these people and so why take the shine off it by mocking them.

In the modern vernacular there's the idea of punching up and punching down. If a well connected and powerful media personality mocks a pleb then that's punching down...bad thing boo!...if a pleb let's fire at Eddie that's punching up and it's tolerable.

He should probably understand that a bit better, I think he genuinely lacks self awareness; there's a touch of the David Brents about him.

On SM-J330G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The problem with the perpetually outraged is that they are so busy lining up to point the finger that they do not take the time to consider forgiving those who are sorry for their actions. Oh, and their superiority complex.

There is no way on earth that Eddie meant to humiliate the lady who tossed the coin. When his mistake was pointed out to him he apologised quickly and seeming sincerely. It matters not that he has committed some indiscretions in the past as he is an imperfect human being which can be said of all of us.

What happened to forgiving a person who is genuinely sorry?
Very good post.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
It should be taken for what it was. Eddie trying to be funny. Nothing More.

Unfortunately Eddie is about as funny Terminal Cancer.

Lesson being, Stop with the one liners and your pigs trotter will not be in your gob.

I think this gets to how this occurred; seems all footy broadcasts these days seem to think supposedly humorous banter is essential to their coverage when 99% of the time it's just self-indulgent tripe.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you genuinely think what Eddie said was "horrible" or "offensive", you can genuinely go * off. You are the reason that the younger generations are becoming so ******* soft.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He is entertaining, hence I listen to the MMM Melbourne podcast most days from good old Adelaide.

Whilst he is the main stumbling block to my club using the jumper I watched my heroes wearing as a kid, I don't begrudge him his right to fight for his alternative opinion.

Last edited:

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
"Pooor comments about Goodes" required a a removal of AFL media accreditation. If it was anybody else they would have been gone!Then there was Caro then there was.....repeat and rinse
You're entitled to your opinion of course but I think most people would agree that the vitriol that Ed took and the damage to his reputation was more than adequate punishment. The reality IMO is that had it been someone else they would not only retain their position but would not have faced anything like the media frenzy at the time. Some people hate Eddie and that's obvious.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You're entitled to your opinion of course but I think most people would agree that the vitriol that Ed took and the damage to his reputation was more than adequate punishment. The reality IMO is that had it been someone else they would not only retain their position but would not have faced anything like the media frenzy at the time. Some people hate Eddie and that's obvious.

If Sarah Jones or Neroli Meadows said it about a bloke they would some how end up as pioneers

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Forgiving a person is fine for a 1st time offense.

But this is at least the 3rd time Eddie has made a poor choice of words on air and he is forced to apologise.

How many times will it take for some proper sanction to be done, whereby his accredidation is removed. 5 times, 10 times or is AFL too scared to make an example?

We can't just continually say, Eddie's apologised, let's move on. If it happened to someone else, nothing would of come of it.

That's is fine if he was first poor remark, but Eddie is a repeat offender here.

Barry Hall made one poor remark and he lost his job at the first time. What Eddie said about Adam Goodes was far worse what Hall did.

Last edited:

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Barry Hall given the flick (and rightly so) after a big apology, no second chance - first offence? My point is Eddie does what he likes and dishes out his own penalties.

megatiger

Cancelled
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
The problem with the perpetually outraged is that they are so busy lining up to point the finger that they do not take the time to consider forgiving those who are sorry for their actions. Oh, and their superiority complex.

There is no way on earth that Eddie meant to humiliate the lady who tossed the coin. When his mistake was pointed out to him he apologised quickly and seeming sincerely. It matters not that he has committed some indiscretions in the past as he is an imperfect human being which can be said of all of us.

Well said, people need to back off, love him or hate him it was pretty much an innocent mistake with a sincere apology, time to move in, way bigger problems in the world and this is worse or in line with "first world problem behaviour", the perpetually outraged are being the problem now not ed.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
Forgiving a person is fine for a 1st time offense.

But this is at least the 3rd time Eddie has made a poor choice of words on air and he is forced to apologise.

How many times will it take for some proper sanction to be done, whereby his accredidation is removed. 5 times, 10 times or is AFL too scared to make an example?

We can't just continually say, Eddie's apologised, let's move on. If it happened to someone else, nothing would of come of it.

That's is fine if he was first poor remark, but Eddie is a repeat offender here.

Barry Hall made one poor remark and he lost his job at the first time. What Eddie said about Adam Goodes was far worse what Hall did.

So you have never made the same mistake more than once?

Get over yourself and get off your high horse.

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
So you have never made the same mistake more than once?

Get over yourself and get off your high horse.
No" high horses" involved or perpetually outraged - I call BS.You label anybody as being offended by Eddie's constant gaFfes as being PC leftie etc etc. It's like if I disagree with you I resort to calling you a Redneck bogan etc. All it is a difference of opinion. One question - why does Eddie issue constant (sometimes two apologies) if he does not think he is wrong? The Melbourne media Boys club is alive and well. It won't go until we rid ourselves of the remnants of The Footy Show, which of course was stated by Eddie. But tell me why Barry Hall wasn't offered a second chance if you so strong about Political Correctness. How would you feel if some one suggested a member of your family be held under water or be urged to promote King Kong? You would move on I guess? Once again I call BS.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
No" high horses" involved or perpetually outraged - I call BS.You label anybody as being offended by Eddie's constant gaFfes as being PC leftie etc etc. It's like if I disagree with you I resort to calling you a Redneck bogan etc. All it is a difference of opinion. One question - why does Eddie issue constant (sometimes two apologies) if he does not think he is wrong? The Melbourne media Boys club is alive and well. It won't go until we rid ourselves of the remnants of The Footy Show, which of course was stated by Eddie. But tell me why Barry Hall wasn't offered a second chance if you so strong about Political Correctness. How would you feel if some one suggested a member of your family be held under water or be urged to promote King Kong? You would move on I guess? Once again I call BS.

BBC1967 your obsession with everything Collingwood is getting embarrassing now.

tenor.gif

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.

I am a leftie. What the hell are you on about? I heard Eddie's comments and later on found out the context. Eddie apologised very quickly. I'd like to know how you could possibly speak to the notion that Eddie didn't think he had done anything wrong. He seemed to understand what he had done and quickly owned his wrongdoing. Also, where did I call anyone or even use the words "PC" or "leftie?"

Seemingly unlike yourself, as a human with plenty of my own faults, I like to think that I can find it within myself to forgive others for not being perfect. I get why people were offended but what I do not understand is why people refuse to allow a person to apologise and their unwillingness to accept that apology. Eddie was/is clearly mortified (despite you pretending to know otherwise) by his latest (of many) offensive comments. Yes, it was wrong. BUT THE GUY APOLOGISED. It as though you expect people to be perfect. Eddie has his flaws. Well guess what mate, so do you.

FFS, the perpetually outraged, well you think you are all perfect. It is as though none of you think you have ever done anything wrong. People can and do make mistakes mate, believe it or not. As for your question regarding Barry Hall, well it is not for me to comment on why Barry wasn't given a second chance. And it is irrelevant anyway because we are not discussing Barry Hall.

I just wish I was as perfect as you sanctimonious lot of finger pointers.

Last edited:

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
BBC1967 your obsession with everything Collingwood is getting embarrassing now.

View attachment 646637
Hey your the one following me around. On a serious note don't you agree with sentiments. I concede Eddie does a lot of good..as do the Pies...but he should watch his words.So on a Footy Forum are you suggesting you can't dislike an oppostion team?

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey your the one following me around. On a serious note don't you agree with sentiments. I concede Eddie does a lot of good..as do the Pies...but he should watch his words.So on a Footy Forum are you suggesting you can't dislike an oppostion team?

You have told me why you're so anti Collingwood and I understand your hatred towards us but this thread is really 7 pages too long IMO.

Besides Eddies poor attempt at humour with Goodes I have no issue with Eddie at all.

He has been on radio and TV for over 30 years........good chance you say something stupid in that time.........I don't think he has in this case.

It was a s**t toss........just like that blokes in the AFLW Grand Final.

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
OK - Agree it has gone on too long....stop following me it is creepy. Reminds me of a girl at school who tried to convert me to PIES.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Eddie is just a passionate supporter, like most of us, no reason to hate him.
He's done great things with Collingwood and football in general, he's always going to be the butt of a few jokes from oppo supporters but certainly not deserving of hate.

Back