Eddie McGuire

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Says a lot for kissing the right arses, hanging around footballers at nightclubs with drink cards. Ultimate sycophant. Unfortunately 90% of people kiss his arse now due to the influence he has. Nothing happens in Melbourne without him either ticking off on it or knowing about it.
I'm no fan of Eddie.
But this truly is tinfoil hat stuff

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
People always complain Eddie and Collingwood. Even though he hasn’t called any of their games excluding press red for ed( which is done for humour).

Yet JB regularly calls north games on 7 , with biased commentary . Plus Melbourne renegades games during bbl season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Couldnt agree more.
Ed, good.
Braycock, deplorable.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
It was difficult to not view his talking up of West Coast through the lens of him being the pres. of the team that we beat last week and in September. Felt insincere, I suspect because it was.

You’re having a whinge that his acknowledgement of your team’s success ain’t sincere enough?

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Pretty obvious why the northern clubs hate him, but people wouldn't hate Eddie so much if other presidents were more vocal, had more media presence and/or fought harder.
I'm a Lions fan & don't hate Eddie. Still I love that we beat the Pies twice in Grannies 02/03

I thought Eddie was frequently hopelessly conflicted, but the treatment he has received from some leading up to and since his resignation is nothing short of appalling.

For so called ABC 'journalist' Sally Neighbour to take great delight in Eddie's demise and then to declare he and James Packer are cut from the same cloth, being born into wealth etc, was a joke and shows the gulf between Melbourne and Sydney is greater than ever.

And for Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe to label Eddie's tears as “white tears” is itself a racist comment.

I feel for Eddie and hope he bounces back

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I thought Eddie was frequently hopelessly conflicted, but the treatment he has received from some leading up to and since his resignation is nothing short of appalling.

For so called ABC 'journalist' Sally Neighbour to take great delight in Eddie's demise and then to declare he and James Packer are cut from the same cloth, being born into wealth etc, was a joke and shows the gulf between Melbourne and Sydney is greater than ever.

And for Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe to label Eddie's tears as “white tears” is itself a racist comment.

It's always good to see racist misogynist bigots make a way back to society.

Excuse me while I open another bottle of champagne.

Feb 6, 2013
ACT
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Eddie will be fine and back as big as ever, and no need to stress about his legacy. Just like the club, he'll be remembered favourably, and its already happening quite broadly.

Lot of love for eddie, great man :cool:

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills

Lidia Thorpe is a waste of space...

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great journo
Great president
Great commentator
Awesome at reading out questions to dimwits
Great TV show presenter
But for some reason I still hate him.......
Once upon a time I felt exactly this way

Then I realised I was guilty of “tall poppy syndrome”. A bit of growing up was necessary.

(Look, I don’t blame anyone who dislikes him. He’s still insufferably, nauseatingly pro Collingwood in his media gigs. But he’s achieved an impressive amount in his life. Credit where it’s due).

But these days my disdain is reserved for the woke nuffies and fanatical activists who want to disregard all his achievements and have him remembered for 4 words: “King Kong” and “Proud Day”. Oh, and don’t forget “under” (water).

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne

Where to start..

the treatment he received before his resignation was completely warranted. The ridiculous comments he made following release of the report were part of a pattern of decade of either being completely oblivious to racism and at times making racist comments himself. I think what (rightfully) stoked anger even more was that once again, Eddie in his ham-fisted way tried to wrestle the narrative in his direction - about him, a success. Pathetic spin, again and always.

Most of the criticism was warranted. And for any criticism that was unwarranted, personal vendetta etc. I say, you live by the sword, die by the sword. Eddie increasingly played the man for anyone that dared criticised him or Collingwood. It become all about his precious ego and bordering narcissism. People everywhere and including the media had had enough of him, and he wasnt going to go gracefully so he needed to be pushed. Fortunately, even Collingwood and Eddie knew his position was untenable - and while he blamed that media for this, he can only blame himself for the ridiculous opening statements he made, he actually wrote. Again, not isolated, but part of a long pattern of wanting to spin rather than learn.

Eddie will 'bounce back' once he's actually taken responsibility for his actions and understand that its himself, not the media, which got him prematurely pushed out the door.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

Collingwood has been a leading supporter of the AFLW and Eddie's board has had a number of women.

The do better report doesn't say Collingwood is a racist club but says the club has been too defensive leading to poor responses to complaints.

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Where to start..

the treatment he received before his resignation was completely warranted. The ridiculous comments he made following release of the report were part of a pattern of decade of either being completely oblivious to racism and at times making racist comments himself. I think what (rightfully) stoked anger even more was that once again, Eddie in his ham-fisted way tried to wrestle the narrative in his direction - about him, a success. Pathetic spin, again and always.

Most of the criticism was warranted. And for any criticism that was unwarranted, personal vendetta etc. I say, you live by the sword, die by the sword. Eddie increasingly played the man for anyone that dared criticised him or Collingwood. It become all about his precious ego and bordering narcissism. People everywhere and including the media had had enough of him, and he wasnt going to go gracefully so he needed to be pushed. Fortunately, even Collingwood and Eddie knew his position was untenable - and while he blamed that media for this, he can only blame himself for the ridiculous opening statements he made, he actually wrote. Again, not isolated, but part of a long pattern of wanting to spin rather than learn.

Eddie will 'bounce back' once he's actually taken responsibility for his actions and understand that its himself, not the media, which got him prematurely pushed out the door.

The criticism is as you say justified but Sally Neighbour went too far with her tweet because its clear from it she was tweeting without knowing what she was tweeting about. To say Eddie comes from wealth and privilege was a dumb thing to tweet not just because its wrong but its also dumb coming from a high paid journalist.

Eddie's handling of the report confirmed the report's central point that the club under Eddie was too defensive because there was nothing in that report which should have led to Eddie's reaction too it in that press conference.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
The criticism is as you say justified but Sally Neighbour went too far with her tweet because its clear from it she was tweeting without knowing what she was tweeting about. To say Eddie comes from wealth and privilege was a dumb thing to tweet not just because its wrong but its also dumb coming from a high paid journalist.

Eddie's handling of the report confirmed the report's central point that the club under Eddie was too defensive because there was nothing in that report which should have led to Eddie's reaction too it in that press conference.

Fair point - is she from Melbourne? For me, the media is a different discussion - there is no doubt its becoming increasingly worse and lazy journalists too inclined to play identity/class politics.

Anyway, I don't see how Eddie's wealth and how he got it (self-made by all reports) is even relevant to his role at Collingwood or the report. Very frustrating when this irrelevant issues become conflated with the actual issues - cause it gives McGuire at al a bone to pick.

Dec 18, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Fair point - is she from Melbourne? For me, the media is a different discussion - there is no doubt its becoming increasingly worse and lazy journalists too inclined to play identity/class politics.

Anyway, I don't see how Eddie's wealth and how he got it (self-made by all reports) is even relevant to his role at Collingwood or the report. Very frustrating when this irrelevant issues become conflated with the actual issues - cause it gives McGuire at al a bone to pick.

I think Sally is from Sydney but considering her experience it was lazy.

Back