Roast Eddie not at Womens Game

Thoughts about this?

• Sack Ed already over this

• Poor form of Ed

• Duh what?

• It's Ed's choice, it's a free society

• Ed did good, he made the right decision to go to the boxing.

• I'm giving Ed the benefit of the doubt that attending AFLW would have been unreasonable impost

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a bit of a differing opinion on Ed. If he is to stay on as president this year, I don't want to see or anything from him on Collingwood matters. I don't want to hear him trying to spruik the club through the media. I don't want petty arguments between himself and the AFL. I don't want public spats with other journos.
I want Ed completely behind the scenes, running the club as best he can, giving due diligence and bringing in the right people. Whenever an outsider asks for his opinion on a matter involving the club, I want him to ignore them and walk off. The club is it's own hype machine and doesn't need Ed trying to keep it or himself in the headlines.
Agreed. One of the arguments is that Eddie is standing up for the pies, using the leverage we have through the media. I believe there are many ways to use that leverage and the media shouldn't be the first step in that fight.

I'm no Eddie fan (to be honest I'd prefer he stood down years ago), however this whole issue is synonymous with the faux outrage with anything to do with women these days by third wave feminism. Feminists want women to be given preferential treatment, not equal treatment.

If there were faux outrage, people would have voted for option 1, rather than option 2.

Currently only 2 people are outraged, and one of them is a Richmond supporter.

Eddie may not be perfect but over the last eighteen years failure to put the pies first has not been one of his sins. Unfortunate but not a biggie IMO. It does raise questions for me around how big CFC is becoming and whether roles such as the president should be rethought.

In what way do you think the role of CFC President be rethought?

Make it a full time paid position? Multiple Presidents for the different teams? Something else?

I'm no Eddie fan (to be honest I'd prefer he stood down years ago), however this whole issue is synonymous with the faux outrage with anything to do with women these days by third wave feminism. Feminists want women to be given preferential treatment, not equal treatment.
My sympathies lie with Eddie but even I take exception to this statement.
It's nothing to do with feminism:rolleyes:
The issue is the Club supporting it's own - to the best of it's ability. In this instance he wasn't able to be there but that does not mean the Club was not well represented, and the AFLW team not well supported.

Club President and known Misogynist Eddie McGuire doesn't bother to turn up for historic Women's match, goes to blokey boxing contest instead, Collingwood do not deserve team license!

I haven't seen / heard anybody suggest such a thing? Even Caro's article didn't go that far?

This is the heading (the narrative) Caro and those like her are after -it is typical rabid-media rubbish. Just this type of heading is in fact already doing the rounds on social media. #fakenews #alternativefacts

Hang on ...

#fakenews = some totally fabricated story that has zero / null / nada basis in fact (eg: the story that came out during the US Presidential campaign that Hillary Clinton was running a child sex ring out of a Washington pizza joint). Nobody seems to be disputing the fact that Ed wasn't at AFLW and was at the boxing? :confused:

#alternativefacts = when somebody gets an objective measure of something wrong (eg: Trump having the biggest inauguration crowd of any President). This issue is not objective; it's subjective, it's opinion. If somebody thinks it was poor form of Ed not to be there then they're entitled to have that opinion. If by contrast people were claiming something objective (Collingwood won the game, only 100 people turned up to watch the game) then it would fall under the pop culture reference of #alternativefacts

Ed's original crack at Caro was not being misogynistic in the first place and in their heart of hearts these media wannabes know that but don't care: he was having a crack at her lack of ethics in regards to the hatchet jobs she does on people. Where he failed was in that his comments were open to a very different and very media sexy interpretation. Bitter Caro has her agendas, her personal targets and Ed is no doubt one of them.

Poor form of The Age letting Caro go near that story. Caro can't really write a negative story about Ed without it appearing to be part of a vendetta.

That Ed was working and the game was actually rescheduled should make this a non-story but, let's not let facts get in the way Caro, I mean that is your forte, planting your own narrative along a thin line of facts, half truths and made up comments, to get the attention grabbing headline you want.

The poll above was posted ***after*** it came out that Ed was working and the AFLW game had been rescheduled. Some people (including me) reckon it was poor form even taking those factors into account.

In what way do you think the role of CFC President be rethought?
Make it a full time paid position? Multiple Presidents for the different teams? Something else?
About the only thought I had was maybe it should be rethought:) I am not even up with all the latest developments at the pies but seems we have become a lot more than we were, say, twenty years ago. Men's team, women's, VFL, don't we have a netball team and something else or was that my imagination. Add that to properties, businesses and its a large organisation. I don't know about full time paid but multiple presidents (or version thereof) might lighten the load and do better justice to the various arms. The possibility of one of the women on the board being the presidential representative for the women's team has attraction to me.

Now that the 1st round of matches have finished has the list of officials that did not attend games been released to the public yet?

This way we have an idea on how many more Caroline Wilson articles we will see on the matter.......

Last edited:
Now that the 1st round of matches have finished has the list of officials that did not attend games been released to the public yet?

This way we have an idea on how many more Caro articles we will see on the matter.......

Barrasi was at the Demons Game

Can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. As much as football plays a major part in my life the rest of the world continues the move even when Collingwood are playing. Sometimes people involved have other commitments that take a higher priority at times. I'm sure Ed will be at all the games he can get to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah ... why would Ed attend some shits and giggles event and pretend to give a flying one for free when he can attend a similar one and make some coin. And who cares that he is actually our Pres, Ed himself doesn't seem to give two hoots.

#putoutyourwalletsfored

I'm not prepared to have Ed hung, drawn and quartered over this. I'm not Eddie McGuire and don't know his circumstances on Friday night, so if he thinks it's the necessary to be at the boxing, so be it. I'm sure there were other members of the hierarchy there and Eddie has certainly been behind this expansion. I'm also not going to refer to Caroline Wilson as 'Caro'. It implies some level of familiarity and friendship and therefore tacit support for her as a reporter which I don't have.

I'm not prepared to have Ed hung, drawn and quartered over this. I'm not Eddie McGuire and don't know his circumstances on Friday night, so if he thinks it's the necessary to be at the boxing, so be it. I'm sure there were other members of the hierarchy there and Eddie has certainly been behind this expansion. I'm also not going to refer to Caroline Wilson as 'Caro'. It implies some level of familiarity and friendship and therefore tacit support for her as a reporter which I don't have.

That's a good point, I'll remember that in the future as my respect for her style of reporting is quite low.

I haven't seen / heard anybody suggest such a thing? Even Caro's article didn't go that far?

Hang on ...

#fakenews = some totally fabricated story that has zero / null / nada basis in fact (eg: the story that came out during the US Presidential campaign that Hillary Clinton was running a child sex ring out of a Washington pizza joint). Nobody seems to be disputing the fact that Ed wasn't at AFLW and was at the boxing? :confused:

#alternativefacts = when somebody gets an objective measure of something wrong (eg: Trump having the biggest inauguration crowd of any President). This issue is not objective; it's subjective, it's opinion. If somebody thinks it was poor form of Ed not to be there then they're entitled to have that opinion. If by contrast people were claiming something objective (Collingwood won the game, only 100 people turned up to watch the game) then it would fall under the pop culture reference of #alternativefacts

As stated in original post, these very wods have been appearing on social media pages in my feed, hence my comment. What people are fabricating is the reasons for Ed missing the football match, it is beyond speculative when it is stated with the intention to do harm to the reputation of the recipient.

[/QUOTE]Poor form of The Age letting Caro go near that story. Caro can't really write a negative story about Ed without it appearing to be part of a vendetta.[/QUOTE]

You must be kidding right? Caro is all about vendettas, agendas and hatchet jobs.

[/QUOTE]The poll above was posted ***after*** it came out that Ed was working and the AFLW game had been rescheduled. Some people (including me) reckon it was poor form even taking those factors into account.[/QUOTE]

All this feigned outrage because a guy decided not to take the night off work to go to the footy eh. I'm sure Ed would have loved to have been there but one is his job and career whilst the other is a passionate interest in an unpaid position. To pretend that Caro's inference has nothing to do with the misogyny issue of last year is at best more than a little naive. If there were no such flare up last season this would not even be a story.

Yeah ... why would Ed attend some shits and giggles event and pretend to give a flying one for free when he can attend a similar one and make some coin. And who cares that he is actually our Pres, Ed himself doesn't seem to give two hoots.

#putoutyourwalletsfored

Thanks for the laugh Beastly........people questioning Eddies commitment to the cause always make me laugh! :D

Um Usain Bolt runs next Saturday night in the final night of the Nitro Athletics at Albert Park , at the same time that Collingwood is playing Melbourne ( currently scheduled at the Holden Centre) but is likely to be moved to Ikon Park and become a double header at the same time?

What if Usain has already invited Eddie to attend the Nitro Athletics next Saturday night ?

What should Eddie do ?

Um Usain Bolt runs next Saturday night in the final night of the Nitro Athletics at Albert Park , at the same time that Collingwood is playing Melbourne ( currently scheduled at the Holden Centre) but is likely to be moved to Ikon Park and become a double header at the same time?

What if Usain has already invited Eddie to attend the Nitro Athletics next Saturday night ?

What should Eddie do ?
It's a channel seven event so he wouldn't go.

What should Eddie do ?

What do you Think:rolleyes:

What should Eddie do ?

Go to the athletics

Back