• No, 2 weeks would have been fair

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • He should only have gotten one week

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • He should lose the vice captaincy

Votes: 29 12.1%
  • He should have got 5+ weeks

Votes: 50 20.9%
  • He’s been made an unfair example of, we should have sympathy for players in the current enviro

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't break any protocols until he did. Proud of him. What rubbish. And why support such rubbish. Ed is proud of Steele and now folk are proud of Ed. This is indeed bizarro world currently.

I feel sorry for Steele because this seems out of character, however, call a spade a spade Ed, he stuffed up, and we have reiterated the message to be vigilent within the club.

He didn't break any protocols until he did. Proud of him. What rubbish. And why support such rubbish. Ed is proud of Steele and now folk are proud of Ed. This is indeed bizarro world currently.

I feel sorry for Steele because this seems out of character, however, call a spade a spade Ed, he stuffed up, and we have reiterated the message to be vigilent within the club.
Yeah, it sounds like Sidebottom had owned up to it and accepted responsibility. So good on him. I'm sure most of us have had too much to drink on a number of occasions. He made a mistake, he's copped the punishment.

But the whole care and compassion for a team mate crap and being proud of his actions is hilarious. He deserves four weeks. He stuffed up, the AFL need to make a stand, move on.

Yeah, it sounds like Sidebottom had owned up to it and accepted responsibility. So good on him. I'm sure most of us have had too much to drink on a number of occasions. He made a mistake, he's copped the punishment.

But the whole care and compassion for a team mate crap and being proud of his actions is hilarious. He deserves four weeks. He stuffed up, the AFL need to make a stand, move on.

From a PR standpoint it makes no sense what Eddie did - as Wooshette said, maybe he needs a break. Sidebottom owned up, copped his penalty and that should be that. But instead we are talking about Eddie's ludicrous excuses, which are a) obvious bullshit and b) were not needed anyway.

Exactly. Sidebottom stuffed up and has been punished for it. The point of this thread is Eddies bizarre and frankly unintelligible defence of his actions. All he needed to say was Steele made a stupid mistake, he’s owned upto it and has accepted the 4 week penalty. Then when asked about stripping the VC off him simply say that it will be discussed at board level. Some dingbats in here don’t seem to understand that.

Exactly. Sidebottom stuffed up and has been punished for it. The point of this thread is Eddies bizarre and frankly unintelligible defence of his actions. All he needed to say was Steele made a stupid mistake, he’s owned upto it and has accepted the 4 week penalty. Then when asked about stripping the VC off him simply say that it will be discussed at board level. Some dingbats in here don’t seem to understand that.
I’ve always admired Eddies commitment to Collingwood and how he wears his passion on his sleeve, speaks his mind and makes stupid human mistakes like anyone else. But his judgement and response here is so off I honestly wonder if he’s just under too much pressure and should take take some time off to decompress.
I wonder what Buckley thinks of Eddies bizzare interviews? His job would be hard enough right now trying to keep players physically and mentally fit in this screw up of a year without having his president stirring up a huge media shitstorm and basically turning the situation into a laughing stock.

Last edited:
Hilarious justification.

They are proud of him because until he remembered what he was doing, he was doing the right thing.

It's when he couldn't remember what he was doing that he did the wrong thing, but that's OK because he didn't know what he was doing.

FFS Ed he didn't have a medical episode, he was shitfaced........

I bet Lachie Hunter couldn't remember what he was doing either.....

Eddie has had a mare on this one, again.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie is light coz he knows what else the players get up to off the field. In his mind it could be worse etc. Drugs etc. Fine line.

I'm somewhat surprised by the poll results that people think 4 weeks or 5+ weeks is the correct punishment, putting it on par or worse than Lachie Hunter breaking quarantine, crashing his car, and running away.

I would've also liked Eddie to say more about how this is very disappointing from Steele though.
Mate, the comp is on a knife edge with this second wave coming through. He is putting the game at risk. 4 weeks

I’ve always admired Eddies commitment to Collingwood and how he wears his passion on his sleeve, speaks his mind and makes stupid human mistakes like anyone else. But his judgement and response here is so off I honestly wonder if he’s just under too much pressure and should take take some time off to decompress.
I wonder what Buckley thinks of Eddies bizzare interviews? His job would be hard enough right now trying to keep players physically and mentally fit in this screw up of a year without having his president stirring up a huge media shitstorm and basically turning the situation into a laughing stock.

Hilarious that the 30+ year veteran of the media is the public relations disaster and the coach is the one hosing it down

Seems a bit harsh, Steele was just doing what thousands of us do every night of the week according to Ed. Right? :rolleyes:

True, but I can at least handle my Scotch.

From a PR standpoint it makes no sense what Eddie did - as Wooshette said, maybe he needs a break. Sidebottom owned up, copped his penalty and that should be that. But instead we are talking about Eddie's ludicrous excuses, which are a) obvious bullshit and b) were not needed anyway.

And coming off the back of his comment during the Jack Steven incident, it reeks of absolute hypocrisy and further highlights his damaging conflict of interest.

Haha, are we supposed to believe that SideBottom fell asleep on the couch after drinking scotch, got up to go bathroom and walked through the wrong door out onto the street and ends up in a cop car lol

And Eddie acting like its such a regular explanation, that’s it’s just a normal thing that happens to lots of people.

Cant wait to find out what kind of drugs were involved...

This was may favorite bit actually, straight out of the hangover movies!

images.jpg

Yeah because after that public statement he definitely wouldn't have talked to him at all in private
fu** people are dumb.
But why THAT sort of public statement, though?

Eddie could still have given a 'supportive' public comment while acknowledging Sidebottom was completely in the wrong, with none of these silly excuses or attempted justifications.

"Look, he knows he messed up, he takes full responsibility for everything, he's really upset about how he let everyone else down. He has to serve his punishment but we'll get around him as a club and make sure he gets the support he needs".

Simple.

If this was in any other season the sheer magnitude of the indiscretion would warrant a fairly hefty club imposed fine and ban let alone an AFL sanctioned ban one would think.

Now let’s not forget the 3 (that we know of) breaches of AFL COVID-19 protocols. This alone should draw the attention of the AFL’s wrath, infact it puts pressure on the leagues hierarchy to maintain its obligations to its key stakeholders and seriously questions the capability of AFL house to maintain a clean and safe competition in the midst of a pandemic.

You would think Gil and the board would be seething at these breaches without having to add eddies asshat pantomime sideshow. Massive loss of face and integrity.

Especially when you consider Big Ed is the headline act on the AFL's "coronavirus cabinet".

Back