News Eddie standing down at the end of next season

Remove this Banner Ad

You keep insisting "the arguments have been made" but can't make them yourself.

And pointing this out suggests I'm racist?

It's deeply and obviously inadequate.

You simply can't or won't demonstrate or substantiate anything. You prove that over and over.

This is my position. Nothing you've presented mounts a real challenge to it.

Let me know when you have an argument that warrants a response.

I have made the arguments. Multiple times. Reread the thread and enlighten yourself.

For your benefit (and anyone else who may be wondering what you've got your knickers in a knot about)

Last edited:

The concept of systemic racism I would argue is not easy to understand. It is a theory that is almost impervious to any form of testing or proof. The report accepts that it is present prior to any investigation. It is not referred to directly in the terms of reference. They did not "find" it at Collingwood or prove that it existed. Accepting that it is present the authors point to what they perceive are ways in which it is manifesting at Collingwood. If people agree that is their choice and we are all entitled to our opinions. I would argue that if people believe Eddie needed to step down due to the report highlighting systemic racism at Collingwood then it would be equally reasonable for a whole host of people in power to step down.... AFL boss, AFL team presidents, Prime minister - systemic racism is everywhere by definition. But there is something distinct and egregious about Collingwood...... There is a blurring of examples of direct racism with the concept of systemic racism. Systemic racism is a disputed concept but is accepted without scrutiny by multitudes of people. It is difficult to challenge the concept without being labelled a racist (if you are white) or an "Uncle Tom" (if you are black). I read with interest the replies to Sweet Jesus who has called for an argument to support the finding of systemic racism when clearly the evidence specific to Collingwood relates to the handling of highlighted incidents which may point to poor governance. In no way does this equate to condoning or denying the episodes that have been documented (and undoubtedly many more undocumented).
I am an adult and successfully completed primary school - I do not accept that there is systemic racism as a link between episodes of direct racism and the handling of said episodes. If you do then so be it.
I would agree with the club improving processes around complaint handling and appropriate workplace conduct.

Although, this would be a big indicator:

An indicator of systemic racism? - again, how does it relate to the Collingwood situation and the report which did not involve this incident? It's only just been reported but would fit a broader narrative of systemic racism which is outside Collingwood for those that take its presence as fact.

I understand that people may be convinced that this is evidence of systemic racism in the AFL - which would lead back to earlier point that if Eddie needed to step down then others following the same logic would need to consider stepping down also.

The AFL and professional sports in general don't fit the systemic racism narrative so well as generally minority groups are well represented in playing ranks - think of African Americans in NFL/NBA/MLB. Indigenous representation in AFL also exceeds population proportion quite easily. The counter to this usually is that although able to play, minorities are not able to raise any issues, must just shut up and play, etc... Also under-representation in coaching, board positions, etc is present and often used to signal that discrimination is occurring. It becomes very difficult to prove/disprove. A hypothetical would be that the NBA for instance becomes minority dominant. ie coaching, team ownership and league commissioner all being African-American. They still could be suffering systemic racism because the league itself is subject to US laws, media institutions, etc...
The implication is that yes "we" are happy to recruit you to play "our" sports and provide "our" entertainment but always follow "our" rules.... I have a big problem with this because I don't believe it is true - but again it is somewhat impervious to challenge.

Anyway my point would be you can't just pick and choose with systemic racism - it doesn't stop with Eddie standing down, a stand has been made in the name of "anti-racism" but the process is ongoing...

An indicator of systemic racism?
A player spoke publicly about racism.

He was apparently marked as a troublemaker by other clubs.

How is that NOT a clear example of systemic racism?

The concept of systemic racism I would argue is not easy to understand. It is a theory that is almost impervious to any form of testing or proof. The report accepts that it is present prior to any investigation. It is not referred to directly in the terms of reference. They did not "find" it at Collingwood or prove that it existed. Accepting that it is present the authors point to what they perceive are ways in which it is manifesting at Collingwood. If people agree that is their choice and we are all entitled to our opinions. I would argue that if people believe Eddie needed to step down due to the report highlighting systemic racism at Collingwood then it would be equally reasonable for a whole host of people in power to step down.... AFL boss, AFL team presidents, Prime minister - systemic racism is everywhere by definition. But there is something distinct and egregious about Collingwood...... There is a blurring of examples of direct racism with the concept of systemic racism. Systemic racism is a disputed concept but is accepted without scrutiny by multitudes of people. It is difficult to challenge the concept without being labelled a racist (if you are white) or an "Uncle Tom" (if you are black). I read with interest the replies to Sweet Jesus who has called for an argument to support the finding of systemic racism when clearly the evidence specific to Collingwood relates to the handling of highlighted incidents which may point to poor governance. In no way does this equate to condoning or denying the episodes that have been documented (and undoubtedly many more undocumented).
I am an adult and successfully completed primary school - I do not accept that there is systemic racism as a link between episodes of direct racism and the handling of said episodes. If you do then so be it.
I would agree with the club improving processes around complaint handling and appropriate workplace conduct.

The club accepted the report's findings.

An indicator of systemic racism? - again, how does it relate to the Collingwood situation and the report which did not involve this incident? It's only just been reported but would fit a broader narrative of systemic racism which is outside Collingwood for those that take its presence as fact.

I understand that people may be convinced that this is evidence of systemic racism in the AFL - which would lead back to earlier point that if Eddie needed to step down then others following the same logic would need to consider stepping down also.

The AFL and professional sports in general don't fit the systemic racism narrative so well as generally minority groups are well represented in playing ranks - think of African Americans in NFL/NBA/MLB. Indigenous representation in AFL also exceeds population proportion quite easily. The counter to this usually is that although able to play, minorities are not able to raise any issues, must just shut up and play, etc... Also under-representation in coaching, board positions, etc is present and often used to signal that discrimination is occurring. It becomes very difficult to prove/disprove. A hypothetical would be that the NBA for instance becomes minority dominant. ie coaching, team ownership and league commissioner all being African-American. They still could be suffering systemic racism because the league itself is subject to US laws, media institutions, etc...
The implication is that yes "we" are happy to recruit you to play "our" sports and provide "our" entertainment but always follow "our" rules.... I have a big problem with this because I don't believe it is true - but again it is somewhat impervious to challenge.

Anyway my point would be you can't just pick and choose with systemic racism - it doesn't stop with Eddie standing down, a stand has been made in the name of "anti-racism" but the process is ongoing...
Verbal Effluent.
Ed lives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back