Eddie's comments about big contracts to mid-20s players. Jordy, Darcy maybe does not augur well?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
On Classified the other night he said that Cloke was no good after his big contract and he doesn't think it is wise or has worked out well for these players. Grundy may end up an exception. Wonder if this will make it harder for Jordy and Moore to land big deals if they want to stay.

Regarding DeGoey and Moore. you takes your chances when holding out for more cash. Grundy was smart getting in early albeit his contract should be subject to change. But at least he has a contract out for 7 years.

Cloke had maturity issues as far as I can see, and he had problems learning and/or changing his game. Moore hasnt strung together 20 games yet. De Goey is another big kid .. I wouldnt trust that either of them are likely to make it too many years past 30. Grundy is a completely different person and he has stayed on the park. I cant see how people can think his contract sets a precedent with the other two..

On Classified the other night he said that Cloke was no good after his big contract and he doesn't think it is wise or has worked out well for these players. Grundy may end up an exception. Wonder if this will make it harder for Jordy and Moore to land big deals if they want to stay.
Why are you so obsessed about contracts? Moore and De Goey could re-sign tomorrow and you'll be back here squirming over Stephenson's contract for the next 18 months.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cloke had maturity issues as far as I can see, and he had problems learning and/or changing his game. Moore hasnt strung together 20 games yet. De Goey is another big kid .. I wouldnt trust that either of them are likely to make it too many years past 30. Grundy is a completely different person and he has stayed on the park. I cant see how people can think his contract sets a precedent with the other two..
Little bit unfair there, Darcy Moore played 17 games in 2016 and 2019, 21 in 2017. Admittedly not quite durable enough to justify a big contract

The problem is that there are other clubs who will pay big bucks and long contracts for both of them

The problem is that there are other clubs who will pay big bucks and long contracts for both of them

The problem is collingwood fans putting pressure on the club to pay players anything to keep them

Here is an article from last year when tom browne signed darcy moore to sydney and had him going there at the end of the season. Liam Pickering also chimed in an said that just about every club was after darcy.

tim watson said he was going

david king said he was going

the pope said he was going

Right now it’s all about the viability of the club over the next decade.
This virus has hit us about as hard as it could financially.
So now it’s all about making sure that our debts are paid and we are working year on year at a profit.
Ladder position means squat.
True we can't afford to make silly financial decisions. Some clubs will probably take risks though. For the record Sam Maclure said recently that Sydney is still interested in Moore but if they get Daniher it would cost them less in any trade transaction etc. Harley implied the other night they are looking at players. Will be interesting to see if Jordy attracts attention from other clubs. All bar 6 clubs had to seek assistance from the AFL during this shutdown so they would have to be accountable for what contracts they offer players from other clubs one imagines.

Last edited:
Right now it’s all about the viability of the club over the next decade.
This virus has hit us about as hard as it could financially.
So now it’s all about making sure that our debts are paid and we are working year on year at a profit.
Ladder position means squat.

This is an interesting take on things. I agree with it but do think ladder position is still important. And it still can be if the AFL, which they wont, remove all the excesses out of the game ie 12-14 team competition, significant and permanent reduction in salaries across the board, reduce the lists, dismantle or fund in a different manner the ancilliary competitions etc etc.

Then Collingwood, one of the strong clubs, rightly remains a strong club in a model that rewards financial strength/prudence.

All contracts will be reviewed by the AFL, even Grundy's 7 year deal, so don't stress too much. Everyone is going to take a pay cut post covid-19....different situation, different rules.

This is an interesting take on things. I agree with it but do think ladder position is still important. And it still can be if the AFL, which they wont, remove all the excesses out of the game ie 12-14 team competition, significant and permanent reduction in salaries across the board, reduce the lists, dismantle or fund in a different manner the ancilliary competitions etc etc.

Then Collingwood, one of the strong clubs, rightly remains a strong club in a model that rewards financial strength/prudence.
Ladder position is also important for shoring up the financial position and attracting potential new fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladder position is also important for shoring up the financial position and attracting potential new fans.

Too true

The days of underwriting permanently financially week clubs, franchise clubs that will likely never self sustain and PC ancillary competitions are a luxury that the AFL and the clubs cannot afford in the brave new world. Mind you, the AFL won't go down that path because it would be admitting its prior errors of judgement. It will be fascinating to see how it all plays out.

Not so much of a problem in the post-COVID environment in which the AFL and it's clubs find themselves, I wouldn't have thought A large majority of the clubs are into the AFL for a share of the $600M loan, so they won't be in a position to splash some cash without first checking with the AFL bankers.

And the rest are likely to be much more circumspect with their money than would have been the case before COVID.

Not so much of a problem in the post-COVID environment in which the AFL and it's clubs find themselves, I wouldn't have thought A large majority of the clubs are into the AFL for a share of the $600M loan, so they won't be in a position to splash some cash without first checking with the AFL bankers.

And the rest are likely to be much more circumspect with their money than would have been the case before COVID.
Of course with shorter lists, the reduced salary cap won't be quite as bad as expected.

There will be no big contracts IMO. No one knows what the club and comps finances will be like in 1 to 3 years time.

This has done a lot of damage. Talking to a 65 year pies fan, not interested, sick of all the BS. I am in that camp also, hoping that once it starts I might get going but at the moment, I am sick and tired of the soap opera. NRL has done a much better job, and I hate the game.

I don't think any of us can expect football to return to normal in any reasonable amount of time. The virus isn't beaten by a long chalk and there will be roadblocks and breakdowns along the way.
The decimation of the 2nd and 3rd tier competitions will have long term repercussions that none of us have considered yet and we can only hope that the league bosses have considered it and have plans in place otherwise things could get ugly in the medium term.
As for contract length and payments that will be an evolving concern once things get moving forward again. In many ways the least of our concerns, first order of business should be to get the game back onto a strong footing again and that will require a lot of time, effort and good will from AFL, clubs, players and supporters.

There will be no big contracts IMO. No one knows what the club and comps finances will be like in 1 to 3 years time.

This has done a lot of damage. Talking to a 65 year pies fan, not interested, sick of all the BS. I am in that camp also, hoping that once it starts I might get going but at the moment, I am sick and tired of the soap opera. NRL has done a much better job, and I hate the game.
It is easier for NRL because it is not a national competition.

It is easier for NRL because it is not a national competition.

They got private backers too.

Also being disenfrachised with AFL was happening with a lot of men prior to covid due to the constant watering down of the physical side of the sport to appease soccer mums and unkown links to cte on some ex players.

The issue for mine is most of these players like willisms played in an era where off the ball hits or deliberate elbows were common. AFL has gone too far and over sanitised it now like incidental head contact if you choose to bump etc.

The problem is collingwood fans putting pressure on the club to pay players anything to keep them

Here is an article from last year when tom browne signed darcy moore to sydney and had him going there at the end of the season. Liam Pickering also chimed in an said that just about every club was after darcy.

tim watson said he was going

david king said he was going

the pope said he was going
and Donald Trump said it was fake news - turns out he was right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back