What the heck? Eddies comments re coin toss

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think there’s much to the remarks per se, but the sooner a broom is taken to the buffoonish boys club of footy commentary the better.

I mean wtf do Brayshaw or McLachlan add to the commentary?

I think they add a lot, their strong points being they are not Brian Taylor. Then again even Teddy McGuire has that string on his bow.

If not at games, I either choose noisy pubs to watch games or watch at home with the mute button on.

Ever notice how much more hatred something gets as its popularity grows? And how if it gets really popular, it seems like everyone in the world turns against it, which sort of makes no sense at all? Eddie will understand as a celebrity, particularity one associated with the parochialism in football that the general idea is that if someone hates you, that's fine, and even expected. Haters, it's said, are going to dislike things. Hating is in their nature, the only thing they know how to do, the first thing they think of when they wake up. They are like vultures circling a corpse just waiting to pounce. Australia is a vastly different place in 2019 and we are the world's greatest whingers, we took that crown from the Poms years ago! Particularly in Victoria, where all good Aussie whingers" live. Athletes and entertainers don't always have the easiest time of it in the press. Social media is also a hiding place for the ignorant trolling keyboard warrior who has nothing better to do with themselves and hate has always been a hot commodity. There's a certain level of popularity that, once reached, all but guarantees that a significant portion of the general public will immediately decry anything else that entity generates for time eternal. From "Eddie everywhere" to the fact he is president of Collingwood places a huge big target on his back and all it takes is just one slip up, maybe Eddie should give up the hosting and commentate only? Get Neroli to be the host? But be careful not to call her a "girl". There are some schools here in OZ that are telling students that the word "girl" was "hate speech. Welcome to Australia in 2019....it's a madhouse!

Last edited:

The AFL let Dunstall get away with his mean comments about players failing to execute simple kicks at goal for too long.
It put us on a moral slippery slope and opened the flood gates for someone like Eddie to try his hand at observational comedy.
Even the esteemed Caroline Wilson has felt a need to speak up and 'demand' action from the AFL.

In other news the Swans are 0-2

I just watched the number 1 ticket holders coin toss again, and I’ve no idea what the hell Ed was on about.

Compared to other ‘tossers’ I’ve seen, her’s was actually pretty good. I’ve seen plenty that have had to be re-tossed. No idea why her toss in particular would trigger Ed’s rant on how s**t coin tossers are, or why she should be fined $5000 for it.

Perhaps these Sydney inspired brain farts are really motivated more by Ed’s subconscious misery that a whole city collectively said “you ain’t CEO material mate, game show host is more ur go” and sent him packing back to Melbourne with his tail between his legs 12 years back.

Imagine Ed’s outrage if the pies had Lou Richards come out to do a coin toss late in his life and a commentator took the piss out him saying he should have practiced more or should get a $5000 fine for a s**t toss. Pies fans and Ed would’ve lost their minds, and rightfully so.

And then said commentators first attempt at an apology was “oh I just saw it out the corner of my eye, didn’t know it was Lou... has nothing today with him being old or in a wheel chair...” ... Us pies fans would want that commentators head on a stick!

But yeah, Ed should just get another free pass...

This is unlucky Eddie

Eddie's gaffes are not with malice
Eddie, unlike most other commentators, is a board member
Eddie has past history of gaffes
Eddie's past gaffes have included The Swans
Eddie's latest gaffe involved the Swans number one ticket holder
Eddie's gaffe involved the Swans, a team that doesn't get much front or back page press normally... until now

It is a confluence of influences and the Swans have a right to protect their #1 ticket holder however it could have been worse, Eddie could have been on the sauce whilst trying to get finance from the National Rifle Association of America whilst being filmed by the "Islamist Al Jazeera". Now that was a confluence.

If you were a mate of his you would be rolling around the floor laughing about this latest one. It will be replaced shortly by the next piece of outrage on the news.

He would have said the same thing about anyone. This has nothing to do with the woman or her condition. Nothing he even said attacked or referenced that at all.

He was talking about a coin toss and that practice from fans in general. Let it go, hes being crucified for nothing.

If this had happened at a St Kilda, or Carlton or Bulldogs or GWS or Suns home game, would there have been the same outrage from the host club? No.

Eddie is a bit of an attention seeker when he makes some comments, but like some other supposed controversial comments Eddie has made this also will die a death.
Eddie is very much a self publicist keeping himself in the news, and this is no different.
Mission achieved for him as he's in the news again and he will be lapping it up. He really doesn't give a toss what people think of him outside his family and friends

The headlines are awful...

"Eddie mocks double-amputee"

"Eddie MacGuire mocks plane crash survivor"

Criticising the coin toss is the same as mocking her disability??? FFS

It's a disgrace, and this is worse than anything Eddie said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Caro get on board demanding the AFL sanction Eddie.

Andrew Wu also enjoying the chance to write about this multiple times, this will cover his weeks to do list.

E. McGuire..............c&b Perpetually outraged who still live with their parents.................0 (1)

#tossyourcoinsout

haven't been around for ages but this brought me back.

I have cerebral palsy, I use a walking stick. I use a wheelchair.
My legs don't work, my left arm doesn't work. I am crap at coin tossing. My mates stir me up.
My mates are rubbish at coin tossing. I stir them up.
You know what really offends me? people being offended on my behalf because they see a disability and feel the need to protect me because whether they realize it or not they see me as less then.
I don't want you to pat me on the head and tell me how great it is I'm being included.
The toss was rubbish as most are, the joke was funny. I'm not a fan, but don't hate him either. Good on Eddie for seeing a person and not a disability.

you know whats offensive? when someone on your wedding day asks your husband are "you sure you want to marry a crip?"
when you're wandering through a shopping centre and some random complains that *******s shouldn't be out in public.
when someone feels the need to trip over themselves using normal words. Yes we can go for a walk, you don't have to call it going for a roll.

If you think disabled people need to be treated with kid gloves, I challenge you to try a game of wheelchair rugby.

Just be normal, like you are with everybody else. I am.

When I saw the report about Eddie's comment, it did mention that Cynthia is an academic, holds a doctorate in International Relations, I believe. She's obviously a highly intelligent, hard working person who has accomplished much. Yet all the focus seems to be on her disability. Yes, it is inspiring that she's overcome tragedy, but, and I admit to saying this without knowing her or even having heard of her until recently, I am sure that she would love everyone to know her for her accomplishments just as much as what she's had to overcome to achieve them. Cynthia hasn't let her circumstances limit her, why should we?

I'm in two minds on this one.
On the one hand this situation is created by Mcguire commenting before he knew the full situation. This is a really dangerous thing to do when there are several hundred thousand people listening to you commentating. So to one degree for Eddie as he didn't think before speaking he has some culpability as to the implications of his comments (egg shell skull rule and all that).
On the other hand this is being blown completely out of proportion by the media and particularly by the Sydnew Swans. Mcguire has apologised unreservedly and there was no malice in his comments. The self righteous attitude of Sdyney, and particularly Pridham, is more disappointing to me than Mcguire's senseless comments.

Not the first time Eddie has made belittling comments to someone that just happened to be a woman. Not the first time his apology has had the caveat...."If you took it that way" which implies the mistake is on the part of those offended.

I'm sure Eddie didn't really understand the situation, but where was the internal filter? Can he not see a woman holding a cane probably isn't fair game to mock. To me, it's just another example of his racist/sexist/privileged character flaws manifesting itself. I'm not one to scream outrage, but at what point does he put his hand up and check himself?

I don't think it's big news. If a mate didn't I'd rip into them about it and leave it there. Think that's what's warranted her too. It'd be nice if he had a bit of self-examination though, its too many times to be unlucky and something taken out of context.

This bloke seems to have an awful lot of bad luck.......he is now the victim and it was the coin tossers fault. Is he worthy of being an AFL President after King Kong Caro and now this? In my opinion he should have had his AFL accreditation suspended similar to the Richmond flog who referred to Lian Ryan as a monkey. If he makes so many gaffes he is not suitable for TV. At least Sam Newman cops criticism and offers no lame excuses like Eddie.

Not the first time Eddie has made belittling comments to someone that just happened to be a woman.

Only men are fair game for belittlement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back