Piezy

Team Captain
Apr 8, 2010
Warragul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Nilma Darnum
So now that it is going back to a 15 team comp what are everyone's thoughts??

League covering themselves. If Poowong, Nyora etc took the jump to Alberton it would have stuffed everything. Common sense says get it back to one division and see what happens to clubs. If we attract 3-5 more split it again, or if we lose 3-4 we get a good one division comp. will be interesting to see how seeded draw works. Who decides the seedings? Bunyip won less games than Longwarry, Buln, Dusties and Neerim last year, since the divisions were geographically based, I assume bunyip would be seeded lower than those clubs? A final 8, well it seems like a good idea as more clubs can play finals, but it will mean teams without much chance will play, finals will have to be played on the same day at different grounds (2 x Saturday, 2 x Sunday, 4 finals in the first week) and 9 finals compared to 6 in a final 6 is lots of extra work. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Hopefully the seeded draw will work, Will be interesting how they do it. We could end up in the middle 5 even after not having a very successful year. Instead of going off last year maybe they need to go off the past 3-5 years? Just my thoughts.

Common sense going back to one league.

I would think the seeded draw would work with everyone playing each other once (14 games) and then the teams be split into 3 groups of 5 who play each other a second time. Based on last years win loss the groups would be with wins last year in brackets:

Longwarry (17), Cora Lynn (15), Koo Wee Rup (14), Buln Buln (14), Dusties (14)
NNG (11), Garfield (10), NNS (8), Bunyip (7), Nyora (7)
Nilma (6), Ellinbank (5), Lang Lang (5), Catani (1), Poowong (1)

Bunyip have signed Lachlan Petch from Warragul Gullsas assistant coach. I don't know anything about him, what sort of player is he?

Seems to be in their best every week, even when they were going alright.

Interesting to see some of the things the league are introducing. Junior wise it has obviously changed to under 16's and 18's and they have dropped the 5ths. Instead of 10 players to constitute a game its now 12, there is no over age permits and lastly if a club does not a field a team all other teams on the day play for no premiership points. I can't see the clubs allowing it to happen though.

That's a huge penalty for not fielding a team. It's not beyond possibility that a junior under 16 side could be decimated with an illness and a school camp or something. I guess it just means you've gotta get permits to play kids from your junior competition.

What are sides like Ellinbank, poowong etc going to do with their kids under 14 now? Will they enter sides innwarragul junior competition as well?

You have to enter all 3 teams in WDJFL league so it makes it very hard to do. They also play on the same days at different grounds and the under 14's play at the same time as our under 16's. Last year we played 5 games with the minimal number of players. Bumping that up means we would of had 5 weeks of no points available. School camps and holidays make it very hard sometimes.

I think the WJFL needs to consider becoming a Sunday league as most junior leagues are. This competition is only going to get larger with all of the development between nar nar goon and Warragul. I know they have had their own Como for years, and they were happy to keep it as is, but ultimately it may have to change. Sunday's would give it free run on all grounds, not having to adjust a fixture when there is a clash. As they grown I think they may even end up with more age groups in the future, possibly odd numbers as well. Then clubs would enter whatever ages they have. When playing at home they can all play at home, and when away some might be at other grounds. This happens at many suburban junior leagues and most clubs have a match report / dinner after away games to keep the club together. It's not need right now, but consideration needs to be given as number increase.

Cant believe they have changed it back. You would have thought they would have given it a 3-5 year trial run. What a waste of time changing it in the first place.

Promotion relegation would have been the way to do it. Start it off geographically in year 1 and move the GF teams up and the bottom two down. To suggest that one league was not better than the other would be foolish. But to settle it, it needed a few more years than one!

People running clubs worrying about 'next year' rather than whether their club would be around in 5 or 10 years. Sounds like politicians to me.

Just my take!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nyora to Alberton? Poowong as well? I've heard they're pretty keen to get out of the re-formed EDFL.
Maybe the other eastern teams like Buln, Neerim, Ellinbank and Nilma would be looking to join the NGFL in the near future too.
Tough for these teams to compete against the big teams along the Princes Highway growth corridor.
It's only a matter of time until the realities of urban sprawl means Cora Lynn, Longwarry, Garfield, Bunyip etc are all integrated into metropolitan fringe football and leave the country towns to re-form in the country leagues. Same thing happened to Cranny, Berwick, Beacy area etc, about 15 years ago.

I reckon some of those smaller towns have realised their future can only lie in playing in country leagues, not half urban-fringe leagues.

up Here In Ballarat Central Highlands is a 18 team competition seems to work well

Nyora to Alberton? Poowong as well? I've heard they're pretty keen to get out of the re-formed EDFL.
Maybe the other eastern teams like Buln, Neerim, Ellinbank and Nilma would be looking to join the NGFL in the near future too.
Tough for these teams to compete against the big teams along the Princes Highway growth corridor.
It's only a matter of time until the realities of urban sprawl means Cora Lynn, Longwarry, Garfield, Bunyip etc are all integrated into metropolitan fringe football and leave the country towns to re-form in the country leagues. Same thing happened to Cranny, Berwick, Beacy area etc, about 15 years ago.

I reckon some of those smaller towns have realised their future can only lie in playing in country leagues, not half urban-fringe leagues.

Did you mean MGFL Saint?? I think the NGFL may be a bit to far to travel haha. It can't stay the same as it is Nyora and Poowong both said at a meeting that this season could be then end of them as clubs Ellinbank has also said they will struggle big time to stay alive for more then a couple of years. We don't like it but it is what it is so we just have to move on.

Did you mean MGFL Saint?? I think the NGFL may be a bit to far to travel haha. It can't stay the same as it is Nyora and Poowong both said at a meeting that this season could be then end of them as clubs Ellinbank has also said they will struggle big time to stay alive for more then a couple of years. We don't like it but it is what it is so we just have to move on.

I disagree,

There's nothing stopping Nyora, Poowong, Catani, Ellinbank, Nilma(?), Buln(?) and whoever else wants to from breaking away from the EDFL.

The VCFL might say they can't, but in reality, they can form their own league outside of the VCFL's auspices, even not AFL affiliated. Better than all those clubs with great histories (and rivalries) folding.

There is simply too big a difference between towns with no pubs like Catani and Nyora and places on the urban fringe like Nar Nar Goon, Cora Lynn etc. they shouldn't be in the same league.

Nyora no longer have a pub which is a shame it use to be good to call in there for a pot or 2 after the Footy or Speedway.

2015 well and truely here. Draw has been released. Post Xmas training has begun......so let's get talking footy. What's happening out there in club world?? Recruiting been active or idle? Numbers pre and now post Xmas at training been up or down. Practice games organised? Players departed? Grapevine talk has:
Lang Lang recruiting a few former Nepean FL players whom come with the new coaches. Will they devalue the league and perform accordingly or will they gell and be surprise packets in 2015?
Neerim Neerim Sth FC has returning players from Korumburra FC
Cobras retain all but 1 from 2014 premiership list. Will Aussie play?
Garfield been active looking at players from Morwell/Traralgon area
Dean Rice coaching again but players not completely sold on reappointment
KWRFC have apparently got their favourite son and potentially the leagues best recruit back but keep missing others
Dusties going to be the same old same old or is the league going to see something different
Buln Buln FC lose a few back to Drouin and Brad Vergona, gun onballer rumoured to been playing at Dingley FC
NNGFC will have a nomadic existence as their ground gets resurfaced but recruiting was wrapped up by Xmas and 40 plus each nite pre and post Xmas.

Bring on March 28

We have a heaps of recruits a few from Killy Bass that came with Alger and few others from various areas but also did lose a couple back to Bunyip. Points system will be a stretch but doesn't really bother me because it will help our 2's haha. Numbers so far have been 25-30 each night and slowly building. Great feeling around the club with a new coach and direction. Our Praccy matches are against Killy Bass and maybe Boolarra.

Heard whispers that an ex AFL footballer is heading to Nyora. I dont want to be giving cows ducks for brekky, but the biscuit could be really flipped in Nyora if its true. Can anyone confirm?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back