EDFL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know who your EK player is but i dont believe his comments are very accurate sounds like hes lacking some love from the coach......Look i think 3 minor premierships last year would say otherwise, recruiting players doesn't guarantee success.. as many of you have said many times managing ego's etc. He obviously did a great job to make that team gel. Apart from the Grand final you cant say he and EK didn't impress everyone on this forum last year. Im sorry i cant knock a man that came in and did what he did in the first year. Most people on this forum are going to throw shade EK's way because they are jealous of the success and are going to make comments about points and salary caps, EK would of been lucky if they even had half the salary cap under Arrowsmith to play with before Pat got there. So no surprise he was able to bring in players when they managed to get their funds up to the cap i assume. Truth is no club came close to them over all 3 divisions in the Home and Away season.
3 minor premierships has nothing to do with his coaching , that rely's solely on the quality of the playing group which was very good(mostly because of Pat and I give him credit for that)…. Please don't try and intimate that Pat's coaching had anything to do with how the 2nds and thirds went...
Let's not forget they are still a B GRADE club

3 minor premierships has nothing to do with his coaching , that rely's solely on the quality of the playing group which was very good(mostly because of Pat and I give him credit for that)…. Please don't try and intimate that Pat's coaching had anything to do with how the 2nds and thirds went...
Let's not forget they are still a B GRADE club
Im not saying Pats coaching had anything to do with the 2's and 3's success directly however i guarantee he would of assisted the 2nds and 3rds coach as every good senior coach would do. But a man that cannot coach what so ever like you are making it out cant walk into a league and dominate the home and away season based on a few recruits and out coach someone like Lance 2/4 times. Yes they lost in the finals, but first final could of gone either way.

If any coach could recruit a few players and put their feet up and stare at the roof like you guys are making it out like he does then everyone would recruit a few players and call it a day. The bloke can clearly coach and if he wins the flag this year whats your excuse going to be then? Because he recruited players? Well in that case guess Potter cant coach because he had a team of AFL/VFL players with no salary cap at Abbers and Potter is a great coach..

Last edited:
Im not saying Pats coaching had anything to do with the 2's and 3's success directly however i guarantee he would of assisted the 2nds and 3rds coach as every good senior coach would do. But a man that cannot coach what so ever like you are making it out cant walk into a league and dominate the home and away season based on a few recruits and out coach someone like Lance 2/4 times. Yes they lost in the finals, but first final could of gone either way.

If any coach could recruit a few players and put their feet up and stare at the roof like you guys are making it out like he does then everyone would recruit a few players and call it a day. The bloke can clearly coach and if he wins the flag this year whats your excuse going to be then? Because he recruited players? Well in that case guess Potter cant coach because he had a team of AFL/VFL players with no salary cap at Abbers and Potter is a great coach..
You points have flaws in them. Potter won 2 flags with teams that people thought would struggle. The other problem is Lance can’t coach. That was proven at glenroy and craigieburn before that. The fact he won last year was he had a superior list to other clubs and was a better coach then Pat. It also doesn’t help that Tulla’s coach isn’t the best coach either. Think he has won 1 or 2 finals in the 7-8 years in divy 1. So can I say the coaches in Divy 1 this season wasn’t as strong as years gone by.

From the mouth of a high paid recruit to EK(that is still there)… "Pat can't coach"... I've heard this from numerous people at EK who are still there. Credit where credit's due though, Pat has created excitement by bringing in and paying for a heap of players, no-one at EK dare say it to his face. And I reckon good on you Pat because before you got there EK were stuffed
Pat - if you're smart you'll get an assistant to guide you through this year, needs to be someone you trust though mate as there are plenty within the club who will accept your $$$ but will knife you in the back as soon as things go pear shaped!..
I don't think they were stuffed before he got there - They were only in this division for 2 years and won 6 games both years. He came in to win a premiership and he clearly let everyone know about it before his first season " In fact, i have recruited these players to play in premier division"- Well guess what - He & the club fell short and he is going to try again with another 20-25 players from across the state. On paper this team looks unbeatable !! But of course, he CANNOT fit them all in as he will need at least 10-11 home grown 1 pointers - This is where his challenge will be ! Now, as a coach, he can just sit back and watch it all unfold - he just needs to blow the whistle at training and move the board around on match days. There are at least 8-10 players in the squad who have fantastic leadership skills and are almost ready made coaches. Either way, i will be watching very closely the last 4 weeks + finals of the season, cause that is when a closer look may be required. This is when the cream will rise to the top OR This is when the wheels may fall off ( injuries, knifes out, disagreements, players leaving etc) and this is where my namesake may come to fruition again !!!

You points have flaws in them. Potter won 2 flags with teams that people thought would struggle. The other problem is Lance can’t coach. That was proven at glenroy and craigieburn before that. The fact he won last year was he had a superior list to other clubs and was a better coach then Pat. It also doesn’t help that Tulla’s coach isn’t the best coach either. Think he has won 1 or 2 finals in the 7-8 years in divy 1. So can I say the coaches in Divy 1 this season wasn’t as strong as years gone by.
How could people think Potter will struggle with unlimited funds and a full vfl and afl list and a club with arguably the best junior system in the league. I agree with you DC clearly cant win a final to save his life. EK out played and coached them in the finals with pretty much all his stars out from memory (Grabowski brothers and Lyons etc)

Do you rate any coaches in div 1 then? Please dont say the Roxy coach no offence Coach of the year was a load of Sh*t haha.

I don't think they were stuffed before he got there - They were only in this division for 2 years and won 6 games both years. He came in to win a premiership and he clearly let everyone know about it before his first season " In fact, i have recruited these players to play in premier division"- Well guess what - He & the club fell short and he is going to try again with another 20-25 players from across the state. On paper this team looks unbeatable !! But of course, he CANNOT fit them all in as he will need at least 10-11 home grown 1 pointers - This is where his challenge will be ! Now, as a coach, he can just sit back and watch it all unfold - he just needs to blow the whistle at training and move the board around on match days. There are at least 8-10 players in the squad who have fantastic leadership skills and are almost ready made coaches. Either way, i will be watching very closely the last 4 weeks + finals of the season, cause that is when a closer look may be required. This is when the cream will rise to the top OR This is when the wheels may fall off ( injuries, knifes out, disagreements, players leaving etc) and this is where my namesake may come to fruition again !!!
Never said they were stuffed i just know they were playing with half the cap which is how they managed to sign all these new players no that they can spend the full cap or close to it i assume.

Yeah premier comp comment is a bit far fetched... got to win it first mate. But my argument was simply that to say he cant coach at all was a little far fetched. All clubs have their players with leadership skills etc every coach and club needs them. On field leaders definitely help.

Never said they were stuffed i just know they were playing with half the cap which is how they managed to sign all these new players no that they can spend the full cap or close to it i assume.

Yeah premier comp comment is a bit far fetched... got to win it first mate. But my argument was simply that to say he cant coach at all was a little far fetched. All clubs have their players with leadership skills etc every coach and club needs them. On field leaders definitely help.
But you don’t want to have to many on field leaders as that could become a big issue with directions flying everywhere. It could backfire big time. Arrow usually steps in when issues arise down back.

How could people think Potter will struggle with unlimited funds and a full vfl and afl list and a club with arguably the best junior system in the league. I agree with you DC clearly cant win a final to save his life. EK out played and coached them in the finals with pretty much all his stars out from memory (Grabowski brothers and Lyons etc)

Do you rate any coaches in div 1 then? Please dont say the Roxy coach no offence Coach of the year was a load of Sh*t haha.
I’ll be honest and say I don’t think there are many good coaches in Divy 1.
In saying that I don’t know much about roxy, apw and hillsides new coaches.
I do think that May at West Coburg will improve as it was his first year as a coach and with ash manning on board will be a good combination. Kangaroos coach is very knowable and has a good record in this division. So they are one to watch. Might not have the players but he is probably the best coach in the division.

I do think that May at West Coburg will improve as it was his first year as a coach and with ash manning on board will be a good combination. Kangaroos coach is very knowable and has a good record in this division. So they are one to watch. Might not have the players but he is probably the best coach in the division.
Are you sure about that

I heard Sunbury coach barely said a word last year was carried by his team and players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree and it’s a huge advantage to have a good coach. I would rather chase a good coach than spend money on players. Get a better coach and less recruits. The advantage Lance had over other coaches last season was he had coached premier level so implemented that type of game plan. I think APW have probably the best coach as his coached a Div1 flag in the NFL and got Nth Heidelberg into premier level. His young and has energy and probably relates to players better than older types.
Clubs should be chasing coaches who have coached premier or equivalent or coached a div1 premiership or maybe a playing coach who has played high level footy and wants a start into coaching. That’s my thoughts on where to put your extra $$ rather than recruit to many players. You must be able to implement a good game plan, have structure and be a strong respected leader. I’m not sure to many coaches are in this division for the clubs looking to move up..

off recent times I think Arrowsmith did a reasonable job as his list wasn’t overly strong and maybe just wanted to create stability in div1. Castello going to West was a great pick up but he was only an assistant. But he steered them to a better place. If he was ever to coach full time then back him in to do a great job..

Digby was a great example of getting West Coburg back into premier league.

Having said all this they won’t be easy to find and you will have to fork out some decent coin.
Cheers

Did anyone get down to the EK vs Caroline Springs praccy tonight? How did the Cougars go?

Did anyone get down to the EK vs Caroline Springs praccy tonight? How did the Cougars go?
cougars probably won by a 5 or six goals , pretty scrappy affair as you expect for 1st practice match . Recruits look ok but looked a bit slow after the 1st 2 1/4s . Flew out to a 5/6 goal lead , Mazzeo, pettigrove, Klix , josh grabowski all stood out early but hard to get a good read as there was 40+ players rotating with few not playing , no arrow, caluzzi, vanderbyl, n grabowski, Lucas Watson, Dean Roberts , palazolo. Just a light hit out in the end

cougars probably won by a 5 or six goals , pretty scrappy affair as you expect for 1st practice match . Recruits look ok but looked a bit slow after the 1st 2 1/4s . Flew out to a 5/6 goal lead , Mazzeo, pettigrove, Klix , josh grabowski all stood out early but hard to get a good read as there was 40+ players rotating with few not playing , no arrow, caluzzi, vanderbyl, n grabowski, Lucas Watson, Dean Roberts , palazolo. Just a light hit out in the end

Agree with this hard to get a read but from what I saw the new recruits Scanlon, Mazzeo, lock, Bongetti, klix, coletta and new ruckman(don’t know his name) are going to be pretty dominant... looked like they were cruising in second gear... as 1971 said about 50 players just rotating through every position. Could tell players were not taking it to serious was a good friendly hit out. Cougars won by 5-6 goals I’d say

About 8 walk ins to their ones didn’t play from what I could tell.

Agree with this hard to get a read but from what I saw the new recruits Scanlon, Mazzeo, lock, Bongetti, klix, coletta and new ruckman(don’t know his name) are going to be pretty dominant... looked like they were cruising in second gear... as 1971 said about 50 players just rotating through every position. Could tell players were not taking it to serious was a good friendly hit out. Cougars won by 5-6 goals I’d say

About 8 walk ins to their ones didn’t play from what I could tell.

Was it Rusi in the ruck? All these recruits won’t be able to fit in the side at once so that will be an issue.

Was it Rusi in the ruck? All these recruits won’t be able to fit in the side at once so that will be an issue.

Nah def wasn’t rusi the ruck man was white! He’s massive!

Yeah Lyons (retired) and a couple other recruits from last year were not there so not sure if they playing or not but if not then these new recruits will probably fit into the side.

I think the whole Hillside football club was there, surprised you didn’t come Turbo.

Last edited:

Yeah Lyons (retired) and a couple other recruits from last year were not there so not sure if they playing or not but if not then these new recruits will probably fit into the side.

I think the whole Hillside football club was there, surprised you didn’t come Turbo.

Looked like a fair bit of trial and error from both teams last night, Dion Hill at full back for a QTR, young Ben Nichol had a dominant 2nd half on the ball, Mazzeo was on fire, even big Jimmy Philpot had a run and kicked one.

On CPH1921 using BigFooty.com mobile app

FACT - If all players were available at this club throughout the year - The best 22 Will never play together at any time throughout the year ! No-one will get within 10-12 goals of their reserves team, what a boring season ahead for those one's players playing in the two's. But, as previously mentioned, it will be dependent on how your finish the season not how you start when everyone is fresh !!

Apparently the only out of any note (and carrying points) is Lyons so they will definitely have issues playing l there recruits as they were playing at the max most weeks last season. Maybe can fit in 3-4 max.

If Hill is going to be tried at Full back that’s not a good move but majority of there recruits are forwards so they all can’t fit in.

See my earlier post that I think ALL clubs looking to challenge should consider head hunting a higher caliber coach and get in a small number of recruits to fill holes and develop from within with good coaching methods and tactics..

Last edited:
I went along hard to tell who won without keeping scores. Very competitive game.

Very good point about the speed of EK, I noticed it as well.
The 4 players you named all offer pace.
Grabowski was a standout, and Mazzeo, Pettigrove both young kids were impressive.

Lock will be a great addition to defence, calm influence.

Klix butchered the ball a bit.

Nick Grabowski didn’t play is important to the team for pace.

I went along hard to tell who won without keeping scores. Very competitive game.

Very good point about the speed of EK, I noticed it as well.
The 4 players you named all offer pace.
Grabowski was a standout, and Mazzeo, Pettigrove both young kids were impressive.

Lock will be a great addition to defence, calm influence.

Klix butchered the ball a bit.

Nick Grabowski didn’t play is important to the team for pace.
Josh Grabowski is premier standard and a class above anyone in that side. His explosive and runs and follows up. His brother is lively (especially when things are going well) but nothing like Josh. His just a player imo..

Josh Grabowski is premier standard and a class above anyone in that side. His explosive and runs and follows up. His brother is lively (especially when things are going well) but nothing like Josh. His just a player imo..
Josh is an absolute Jet! Def leaps and bounds above his brother.

I spoke to someoone yesterday at the game, He told me there have been about 3 recruits from last year that were of high points that are no longer there so keep an eye out for some transfers. Explains how they will fit the new recruits from this year in obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back