EDFL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The year Douttas went up was the first year of the points system which caused problems when one pointers were injured and we had to play reserve players who weren't up to it. I reckon we lost two or three games because of this. The salary cap came in the following year.
You also played over the points in one game. Not bagging , just stating a fact .

i disagree with you to some extent
Their leg speed was a problem last year but i belived with Ranno , Evans and a couple of others this will be less of a concern this season.
as for small forward i did not think it was a problem as their small forward kick 50 plus goals last year their problem was keeping tall forwards on the park.
The coach is a very smart young coach he has a premier under 19 premership under his belt alread with marby also a year under Costello and Clinick also at Marby i heard him speak at a couple of games last year and was impressed with his manor and they way he was able to get direct messages across
i do think he needs better ass coaches as i thought they struggled a bit .
Fair reply mate. Just to reinterate I’m not in any way having a go at the Westy coach as he did a decent job last year and people I know speak highly of him as a person and also as a player during his playing days. To get Castello across he must be a highly regarded person.
My comments were just a broad overview from a distance and predicting ladder positions which is really a guess at this early stage.

Who was the small forward as I count Castello as a midfield leader.
Losing Church was a huge blow as his undoubtedly the best forward in div1 all things equal..

On the topic of teams going up to premier and struggling....
We saw what happened to a young key forward who won a flag at Glenroy and then returned to Roxy, think Colleta might do the same if EK are to win this year?
Is he good enough to dominate at Premier level? Is Hill good enough to dominate at Premier Level?
Just can’t seem them coming up and making an impact
Compare either one to Galea, Watson, Foster or even Thompson and you’ll see where I am coming from.

On the topic of teams going up to premier and struggling....
We saw what happened to a young key forward who won a flag at Glenroy and then returned to Roxy, think Colleta might do the same if EK are to win this year?
Is he good enough to dominate at Premier level? Is Hill good enough to dominate at Premier Level?
Just can’t seem them coming up and making an impact
Compare either one to Galea, Watson, Foster or even Thompson and you’ll see where I am coming from.
Interesting views with merit. Coletta has talent and if he could be the 3rd tall in a premier team he might be ok. His similar to Clare from Westy in a lot of ways. But until they step up we will never know. Personally think why leave HS to go to EK? Why not try playing premier at his age as it might be to late in a few years.
Hill would need to get much fitter to play premier. Another potential 3rd forward to play his part. But once again it’s a big step up in grade, commitment etc

Interesting views with merit. Coletta has talent and if he could be the 3rd tall in a premier team he might be ok. His similar to Clare from Westy in a lot of ways. But until they step up we will never know. Personally think why leave HS to go to EK? Why not try playing premier at his age as it might be to late in a few years.
Hill would need to get much fitter to play premier. Another potential 3rd forward to play his part. But once again it’s a big step up in grade, commitment etc
A lot of you forget Hill was playing pretty decent footy when he was at coburg VFL as a 19-20 year old and now he’s 4-5 years older. I believe he could be a good player in A grade and a lot of people on this forum don’t give him the credit he deserves

Fair reply mate. Just to reinterate I’m not in any way having a go at the Westy coach as he did a decent job last year and people I know speak highly of him as a person and also as a player during his playing days. To get Castello across he must be a highly regarded person.
My comments were just a broad overview from a distance and predicting ladder positions which is really a guess at this early stage.

Losing Church was a huge blow as his undoubtedly the best forward in div1 all things equal..
Omar saad won the leading goal kicker and isn’t a big forward 👍🏻

Incorrect, thirds are important for depth/numbers, as most clubs are struggling for 18.5s the kids that do want to continue to play still have an opportunity, except for sunbury kangaroos last year all teams that won the flag in their respective grade fielded a thirds team, 2018 airport west roxy and abers all had thirds and won senior flags. Some clubs out there may be taking it all too serious and taking away from the community of people that want to have a go, alot of the bottom age 19s from ladt year will and have put in clearances to WRFL as they are still doing 19.5
I dont think thirds make a club successful in anyway.... many clubs dont have thirds. 19's are a massive loss shame that EK and Hillside both lost them but im sure they will manage to build up a 19's team again in the future.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The year Douttas went up was the first year of the points system which caused problems when one pointers were injured and we had to play reserve players who weren't up to it. I reckon we lost two or three games because of this. The salary cap came in the following year.
Was actually referring to the about 98/99 when they win b then a grade.

Fair points omar saad was the small forward i belive he was the top goal kicker in Div 1 last year losing church and clair hurt the forward stuctures late in the year

How can you call church the best forward in div 1. Dion hill and Brandon colletta (uninjured) are much much better.

Hill missed like 7 games last season and lost the goal kicking by 1 he would of kicked 80+ if he wasn’t injured

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How can you call church the best forward in div 1. Dion hill and Brandon colletta (uninjured) are much much better.

Hill missed like 7 games last season and lost the goal kicking by 1 he would of kicked 80+ if he wasn’t injured

Most would agree Hill gets better delivery that Church recently. I am very comfortable with saying all things equal Church is the better forward. Strongest hands and more accurate in front of goals. Anyone we have different opinions.
I guess Coletta plays more a high forward role whereas Church and Hill your deep forwards.

Most would agree Hill gets better delivery that Church recently. I am very comfortable with saying all things equal Church is the better forward. Strongest hands and more accurate in front of goals. Anyone we have different opinions.
I guess Coletta plays more a high forward role whereas Church and Hill your deep forwards.
Agree with turbo. Church by far the best stay at home forward that will kick plenty in any team he plays for. Forget Saad and Clare, if Church plays really well WM are a huge chance to upset EK
Coletta misses so much with injury so we may never find out how good he is. Good to see you talking football Turbo rather than the constant bashing of east keilor all the time

Last edited:
Looking from the outside I tend to agree they will be anywhere between 3-6 on the ladder.
Question marks on:
- There leg speed
- Do they have a good small forward to compliment there 3 tall forwards?
- Have the recruited a key back and ruck?
- Injuries have hurt them over recent seasons to some degree so can they manage that?
- Coach, although appears popular with the players is still raw and inexperienced to sone degree. How will he go in his 2nd year? Can he change things around and be less reliant on Castello..

* Just a few observations on Westy but other clubs also have there issues so I’m not criticising them in any way.
cheers

They've probably got the best small forward in the league, Omar Saad dominated last year. They've recruited Ferris Merhi who is getting long in the tooth, but will still hold his on in Div. 1. The coach seemed to do OK last year and Castello is still around, I'm sure they''ll be very disappointed if they don't make finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've probably got the best small forward in the league, Omar Saad dominated last year. They've recruited Ferris Merhi who is getting long in the tooth, but will still hold his on in Div. 1. The coach seemed to do OK last year and Castello is still around, I'm sure they''ll be very disappointed if they don't make finals.
This is my concern with Westy. Should chase or develop a ruckman if they have someone. Remember there 19s were going ok a few years back. Personally think if your in the window then Ferris is not a good option. Bit old, journeyman and injury prone. Not sure that’s the way forward however I understand decent ruckman are not easy to find, nor do they come cheap. “But” it’s such an important position.

EK, APW,TULLA, W.M, HILLSIDE & W.C will all be very disappointed if they miss the finals. In my opinion, i think there is only one spot available( EK, APW & TULLA - something drastic has to happen for them to miss) and the ones that miss will be extremely disappointed spending another $160k+ on another wasted year not making finals. I suppose the positive will be that they avoided relegation which is what Roxy, Sunbury & T.L are trying to do with their $100k + spend ! Can wait for round one and then round 18 to hear all the hard luck stories !!

EK, APW,TULLA, W.M, HILLSIDE & W.C will all be very disappointed if they miss the finals. In my opinion, i think there is only one spot available( EK, APW & TULLA - something drastic has to happen for them to miss) and the ones that miss will be extremely disappointed spending another $160k+ on another wasted year not making finals. I suppose the positive will be that they avoided relegation which is what Roxy, Sunbury & T.L are trying to do with their $100k + spend ! Can wait for round one and then round 18 to hear all the hard luck stories !!
Taylor’s Lakes with Rose won’t be in relegation zone. They will win min 5 games in my opinion. He will probably kick more than some of the lower teams score himself during these games. If he plays every game he will kick close to a 100. That’s a guarantee!!

Taylor’s Lakes with Rose won’t be in relegation zone. They will win min 5 games in my opinion. He will probably kick more than some of the lower teams score himself during these games. If he plays every game he will kick close to a 100. That’s a guarantee!!
Agree Gun Forward !BUT, if he is expected to kick 50% or more of their score each week, he will be double teamed and they have to get it to him first, he may have to lead to areas not familiar or further up the ground. TL have lost a couple of ball winners as well - i still have them in relegation zone with Sunbury, i think Roxy will show the most improvement out of these 3 teams.

No chance he kicks 100 if he plays 16 games the guys getting old and our delivery is not amazing. Not to mention we will
Probably loose 10-11 games hard to kick bags when we loose games. Just being realistic

Last edited:

Roxy spending $100K +..........highly unlikely.

I don't know who Rose is but he would need to average over six a game to get a ton. Pretty tough, how old is he and is he a giant?
Before Hill got injured last year he was avg. about 5 so it can be done .:think:

Roxy spending $100K +..........highly unlikely.
Surely they are not all playing for the jumper ? $6k a game for the whole team each week !! The kid they are trying to get back is around $500 or more a game which is less than what he was costing Mernda ! Surely Harley Short & a few others would be on decent coin remember he put in for a transfer a few years back- I would be really surprised if it's not around that spending figure. Then again, you need to be inside the tent to know the facts i suppose. Only a view from the outside !

I don't know who Rose is but he would need to average over six a game to get a ton. Pretty tough, how old is he and is he a giant?
Before Hill got injured last year he was avg. about 5 so it can be done .:think:
Rose will be 34 in June. Certainly no giant. About 183cm, and maybe 85kg. Very clever player. Agree, will be nigh impossible to kick 100 goals in a lowly team at this stage of his career.

Can’t compare the 2 haveago. I dont have anything against Hill as apparently his a really nice guy but he isn’t in the same league. Rose will destroy div1 defenders. Put the ball out in front of him enough times and it’s goals galore. He could kick 40+ in 4 games against Roxy & Sunbury Kangaroos.

Can’t compare the 2 haveago. I dont have anything against Hill as apparently his a really nice guy but he isn’t in the same league. Rose will destroy div1 defenders. Put the ball out in front of him enough times and it’s goals galore. He could kick 40+ in 4 games against Roxy & Sunbury Kangaroos.

Don’t even think we will beat Roxburgh park to be honest. We’re going to finish second last above Sunbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back