EDFL Div 2 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve seen things go wrong at clubs but not to the extent that it has at rupo. A side that finished 3rd in 2023 and then the next pre season most of them walk out to other clubs that have been heart and soul rupo people. Something has drastically gone wrong there for this to happen.
Same thing happened to Westy the year before.

Same thing happened to Westy the year before.
Everyone knows it was because westy ran out of cash and the players that play purely for cash left and were just left with kids

Clubs need to learn to live within their means and this keeping up with the jones’ mentality has killed and will kill clubs

If living within your means means you’re in b grade or c grade for the foreseeable future playing competitive but not competing for a flag so be it. At least you’ll have a club to enjoy watching

Big rumours flying around that rupo have asked to be dropped to div 2 this year due to player shortages. Talk is that they are going to struggle to fill one side.
We hear a rumour like this in at least 1 league every year, but unless they fall into total recess it never happens. About as believable as promises in an election build up.

I remember that

Not sure if it was around 2008-9 ish when the club wanted to change how they did their contracts??

Nobody got guaranteed money

Best on got $$$no matter who they were

2nd got $$

3rd got $

On a sliding scale Down to about 10th

And the the players cracked the shits because it rewarded who was playing well not who had a reputation

Actually that might have been before div 3 was even invented

The time I’m referring to was a couple of years after they won the div 2 GF a lot of players left to try win flags in lower leagues again and the younger players tried higher levels of footy which I would never knock a bloke for testing themselves. Club had to look elsewhere for players (indigenous program to stay alive)
I also remember the days of getting paid for how well you played. Best on ground got around $600 I think and second best $500 etc. Could’ve been around the time of the div 1/div 2 split. Wonder how that style would go these days

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The time I’m referring to was a couple of years after they won the div 2 GF a lot of players left to try win flags in lower leagues again and the younger players tried higher levels of footy which I would never knock a bloke for testing themselves. Club had to look elsewhere for players (indigenous program to stay alive)
I also remember the days of getting paid for how well you played. Best on ground got around $600 I think and second best $500 etc. Could’ve been around the time of the div 1/div 2 split. Wonder how that style would go these days

The players prefer the upfront and guaranteed number these days, that way that can train when they feel like and get paid regardless of performance or results.
Would be a perfect world if players loved the club they played at and were paid on incentives basis

A few players from Watsonia have signed with Glenroy. Anyone know the quality of these recruits?

Love the little Q & A's the club is doing. One of the better FB pages.

The players prefer the upfront and guaranteed number these days, that way that can train when they feel like and get paid regardless of performance or results.
Would be a perfect world if players loved the club they played at and were paid on incentives basis

Definitely agree with you there Grem

I love that second system rewards those who play well regardless of their status if your 22nd player gets bog then he deserves the $600 while the player on the contract may not have gotten a kick and collects his envelope regardless of output.

I remember after the flag you were cruellled by injuries as well…. But you had players leaving because they didn’t want to test themselves in div 1

Im an ex haddy junior loved seeing brett pitts coaching the place I played juniors with him and Dave caccamo… some serious talent at that time

I love that second system rewards those who play well regardless of their status if your 22nd player gets bog then he deserves the $600 while the player on the contract may not have gotten a kick and collects his envelope regardless of output.

I remember after the flag you were cruellled by injuries as well…. But you had players leaving because they didn’t want to test themselves in div 1

Im an ex haddy junior loved seeing brett pitts coaching the place I played juniors with him and Dave caccamo… some serious talent at that time

Was a great system! It got the players trying that extra bit harder. Quality person Brett. Played cricket with Dave years ago too ripper person too.
Unfortunately some players don’t want to test themselves in a division above. We had a few “travellers” come back to win a flag and as soon as the club did, they went to the next club to try win another flag. Set the club back a few years. Happy to see where they are heading now, club has a bit of depth now. Should be a great year of footy looking forward to watching a few games this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a great system! It got the players trying that extra bit harder. Quality person Brett. Played cricket with Dave years ago too ripper person too.
Unfortunately some players don’t want to test themselves in a division above. We had a few “travellers” come back to win a flag and as soon as the club did, they went to the next club to try win another flag. Set the club back a few years. Happy to see where they are heading now, club has a bit of depth now. Should be a great year of footy looking forward to watching a few games this year

Dave was the most talented footballer I’ve ever seen should have played afl

west announcing new senior assistant coaches and reserve coach . new faces and new ideas with a young group they might just surprise a few teams this year
Hope they have learnt and get the coaching appointments correct to ensure development from within and look for sustained gradual improvement vs short term sugar hit

Was as mad off the field as he was talented on it. Wouldn’t have lasted a week in the system, but certainly was good enough
Agree with that

Remember under 16’s playing pacco and he was dominating… and he’s giving it to the pacco parents as he’s received a 100m penalty that put him on the goal line towards the netball courts end

Goes back sprays the kick and the pacco parents are in hysterics so he runs from the goals
To the pavilion jumps the fence and punches on with the pacco parents

That haddy team had pitts
Caccamo troy shepherd before he lost the plot

the
Year before
Andrew welsh as well but he left
To westmeadows then went on to
Play at Essendon

Love the little Q & A's the club is doing. One of the better FB pages.
Are you referring to the Q and A that posted homophobic comments and landed them in hot water?!

Backwards, bogan club. To think they are trying to attract women to come and play for the club and they and go post something as immature and un funny as this.

Are you referring to the Q and A that posted homophobic comments and landed them in hot water?!

No, I was talking about the ones that went up before that.

Backwards, bogan club. To think they are trying to attract women to come and play for the club and they and go post something as immature and un funny as this.

So bogan you felt the need to join up just to bag them.

Out of curiosity which club do you follow?

Ok, that's fair, but you missed some good ones last year.

The others didn't either.

You did because it was deleted when brought to the attention of the club about its inappropriateness.
The fact that you are defending it and making out that others have done similar says all we need to know. Sad that there wasn’t someone at the club clued on enough to say “hey, this isn’t ok”. And yet still no accountability.

Wonder how the female players thinking about coming to play who are gay would feel if this is the type of response that is given when it gets called out.

Poor form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back