EDFL Division 1 - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

snax

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Its not that simple. It may seem black and white from the surface but its not.

Alot of things have changed since the contracts were signed...

If you signed a contract to work somewhere and then on your first day at work all of the conditions under which you signed were different would you just cop it on the chin and stay or look for another job ?

prob a poor comparrsion but you get my drift. Maybe the guys are quilty of not having clauses in their contracts.

Believe me i agree that if you sign a contract stiff. Club has to be protected. But in this particualar case given the family history with the club and what the family has done for the club over a 20 year period i think they should be set free and then will always return..

Hope all this gets sorted out soon so KPFC can concentrate on this year & beyond , and hopefully no malice between all parties if a player does leave.. Better to leave on a good note than not, it leaves the doors open

footyjunky

Senior List
Mar 24, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its not that simple. It may seem black and white from the surface but its not.

Alot of things have changed since the contracts were signed...

If you signed a contract to work somewhere and then on your first day at work all of the conditions under which you signed were different would you just cop it on the chin and stay or look for another job ?

prob a poor comparrsion but you get my drift. Maybe the guys are quilty of not having clauses in their contracts.

Believe me i agree that if you sign a contract stiff. Club has to be protected. But in this particualar case given the family history with the club and what the family has done for the club over a 20 year period i think they should be set free and then will always return..
Ah Mr Connell you make us all laugh. I dont suppose you have a vested interest in getting some of these KP players to your new home at Yarraville. If any club was trying to pinch your contracted players you would be on here sooking. KP obviously did a great job and got guys to sign for 2 years so now it is bad luck for the player. Play at KP or sit out the year. When Ross Lyon defected from the saints Nick Reiwolt cant say i dont like my 3 year contract any more-i am out. Circumstances change at all clubs, when you sign a contract it is a case of "Buyer Beware". So bad luck champ and try and recruit some players from your own s**t league and leave ours alone.

Paw Paw

Draftee
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pie Eater...Which KP players are you trying to get to Yarraville? Mate... haven't you already done your best at picking the eyes out of fringe players from 1 club? They could re-name Yarraville, The "Yarraville-Seddon-not-quite-good-enough-to-get-a-game-at-Tullamarine Eagles.
KP are entitled to stand their ground any which way you look at it. Yes... players might be p!ssed they cant leave but the way KP are probably looking at it, it's better than not having a club at all.

The Scribe

Senior List
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree with a number comments made about honoring contracts & protecting the club but personally I think KP's strategy is short sighted.

At this point the way I see it, either they clear the player or they refuse to - the outcome for KP does not change, they lose a player.

On the back of this, regardless of who is 'right or wrong' it seems the club is taking a significant hit to its reputation.

snax

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
And make no bones about it, I am just as guilty of this as any club, last season I was involved in a process to try and get a club to break the players contract so that he could move to the club I was involved in. As a club, when you have a requirement, you do what you have to do to get the job done, though our attempts failed, the reality is, as clubs, we play a role in setting up this culture of players breaking contracts. So there is always the other side of the coin.

good point

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Agree with a number comments made about honoring contracts & protecting the club but personally I think KP's strategy is short sighted.

At this point the way I see it, either they clear the player or they refuse to - the outcome for KP does not change, they lose a player.

On the back of this, regardless of who is 'right or wrong' it seems the club is taking a significant hit to its reputation.

Agree with The Scribe in that a lot of this makes sense in regards to honouring a contract etc.

But what if say for example, The Scribe has been relocated for work up to the Shepparton area and now lives there. Surely a club wouldn't expect a guy to not train at all thru the week but then rock up back to Melbourne every Satdy underdone for the sake of honouring a contract???

no31

Team Captain
Suspended
Jun 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Here's an idea, play for nothing and then you can play where ever you want any year.

snax

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
have heard that EDFL's Matty Pillios will also be lining up alongside Anthony Koutafides for Moonee Valleys Rd 1 clash

silvermagpie

Debutant
Nov 19, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

No problems club standing their ground but its well known kp cant afford the payments.Might have paid the players last year but fell well short elsewhere

The Scribe

Senior List
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
WCE there is more money in local football than ever before but it's the clubs responsibility to keep its finances in order. It's simple, spend within your means - if you cant afford it, then don't spend it. Clubs must mitigate against placing themselves in a vulnerable position & need to be prepared for the consequences if they do.

No31 as for playing for nothing, how much success do you think a club would have if this was there strategy?

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
WCE there is more money in local football than ever before but it's the clubs responsibility to keep its finances in order. It's simple, spend within your means - if you cant afford it, then don't spend it. Clubs must mitigate against placing themselves in a vulnerable position & need to be prepared for the consequences if they do.

No31 as for playing for nothing, how much success do you think a club would have if this was there strategy?

I guess time will tell... In another league (wrfl) all laverton magpies players are playing for free. They have had about 20 new players there & none are getting paid. Time will tell. at the end of the day why spend 40k on players when ur gunna finish mid table? When that 40k could go into buying new gear, pays off previous debts, support the juniors?

What do sponsors get for there coin?

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Played against albanvale last week wont happen though can,t have a board member still actively involved with a club
If you go onto the EDFL website and have a look at the constitution, it states that a board member only can't be financially affiliated to a club & it is a one off. From all reports Matt Pilllios got the gig hosting the AFC MMA Fighting around Australia and is doing it out of Melbourne that night.

s_cranberry

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I guess time will tell... In another league (wrfl) all laverton magpies players are playing for free. They have had about 20 new players there & none are getting paid. Time will tell. at the end of the day why spend 40k on players when ur gunna finish mid table? When that 40k could go into buying new gear, pays off previous debts, support the juniors?

I am one of those players.... Played seniors today... But I'll say right now... I am not good enough to be paid

product2

Debutant
Aug 5, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Tullamarine knocked off North Heidelberg by 4-5 goals. Really solid hit out. Plenty regular senior players missing too so some good signs for the year. Very glad that cool change hit at half time.

whatagame

Rookie
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Think you find they get incentives, which still is payments (might not be much but would still add up to 15k-20k a year...

snax

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Hadfield def Thomastown

Northern Saints def Reservoir by 12 goals

Maribyrnong Park def East Kielor by 10 goals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back