EDFL Division 1 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
7 weeks for kicking - What a surprise it was West Coburg again!!

West coburg have been renowned for this type of crap since day dot!
I remember 5-6 years ago i witnessed a WC players 'cousin' coming onto the field with his pitbull trying to intimidate opposition players whilst a push n shove was taking place in the middle... Absolute rubbish club they are!

Also wasnt it a west coburg player that snipered a glenroy player and broke his jaw a couple of months ago ?????? 2 weeks for a king hit its bullshit

I remember 25 years ago a West Coburg player severely kicked an opposition player in the head, he had a badly broken hand from punching someone, not much has changed has it?

As retired57 said, EDFL GROW SOME BALLS

the problem is the EDFL has always brushed it under the carpet.

The problem with the incidents on the weekend and all the others that happen is the fact, deep down they know they will almost get away with it!

I have spoken to both individual involved, Iles isn’t sore or have any bruises on his stomach where he got kicked. Fitaxx feels utter remorse for what happened and advise it is extremely out of character.
11 weeks is fair IMO as misses most of the season.

Who is brushing it under the carpet?

Who is tarnishing the league?

Just had a look at West Coburg Website and it is worth a read. Unfortnatley it gives a clear insight of their culture and thinking. I understand they want to defend "their own" , but they have dis-respected the APW player who was vicously assaulted(kicked). Also how dare they speak for the APW player saying that he would want his time over again(insinuating he made a racial comment). I have spoken to many APW players and there was NO RACIAL comment, as usual a WC thug lashed out because things weren't going his way and they try and justify it with playing the Race card.

No one is brushing it under the carpet or moving on from it. The WCFC have been on the front foot having a meeting with certain players and the team as a whole. Please bare in mind WCFC have tried extremely hard to clean the perception it has had in the past and the incident from a fortnight ago does not help.

The EDFL has placed it punishment on the player and the club itself will impose a “in house” punishment as well. Many have to remember an act of a individual does not represent the club as a whole. I for one have never been so embarrassed to be part of WCFC on that day but I have faith that the right people in place will take the right actions.

The “racism card” as a number of you have quoted on his isn’t an out for these act’s of violence, it’s an unfortunate incident that should not only be stamped out of the game but society in general. As the old saying goes “two wrong don’t make a right”!

Players from the mid 80’s are no longer at the club. For acts that occurred then to be mentioned 20-30 years on is just obscene. A thousand players would have walked through the doors in that time many who may have only played a few games.

Let’s not make this a bashing of WCFC as it isn’t in the glamorous bride of the EDFL but only the ugly sister. I have faith the club will take the right actions to ensure an incident like this does not occur again. Not all can be so bad at the club as two grand finals in two years is a record many would love to have.

It seems that the "obscene" acts of WC 20-30 years ago are very similar to the obscene acts of WC now?
So not much has changed? Has it?

That leads me to ask the question 'Is it a culture thing within the club?'

It seems that the "obscene" acts of WC 20-30 years ago are very similar to the obscene acts of WC now?
So not much has changed? Has it?

That leads me to ask the question 'Is it a culture thing within the club?'

It was a incident that occured once, surely many on here could say WCFC have improved from those days...

It was a incident that occured once, surely many on here could say WCFC have improved from those days...

Grand Final-
2 kicking incidents- 1 of which resulted in a fractured cheekbone to a 17 yr old
Few sniping incidents
Heaps of tripping incidents
All these incidents in 1 Game ?

Glenroy V WC Reserves.......Nick County??.. Broken Jaw, weeks in hospital, plates,screws etc. $$$$ ??

Grand Final-
2 kicking incidents
Few sniping incidents

Glenroy V WC Reserves.......Nick County??.. Broken Jaw, weeks in hospital, plates,screws etc. $$$$ ??
To play the Devils advocate for a second,
In the first final between Marby and Greenvale last year there was kicking/sniping/cheapshots yet there wasn't anywhere near as big an outcry over that. People need to take a deep breath and have faith that West Coburg will be trying to do the right thing. The events of the other week have certainly tarnished their reputation which will impact their ability to recruit and i suspect that parents will be less inclined to allow their kids to play there. So regardless of what people like to think they'll be the last ones wanting a repeat of Grand Final day..

In the first final between Marby and Greenvale last year there was kicking/sniping/cheapshots yet there wasn't anywhere near as big an outcry over that. People need to take a deep breath and have faith that West Coburg will be trying to do the right thing. The events of the other week have certainly tarnished their reputation which will impact their ability to recruit and i suspect that parents will be less inclined to allow their kids to play there. So regardless of what people like to think they'll be the last ones wanting a repeat of Grand Final day..
Agree with alot of your post mate, i guess when the severity of an incident/s results in hospitalisation, Broken cheekbones etc., everyone witnessing this display etc...brings out everyones true opinions- especially in a Grand Final.. The thing is it's not a one off with this club. Toughness is one thing, but

i think, going into your second Grand Final in a row and your opponent is Airport West 2013, would have been hard enough for WC- They came out tough and hard at it but there is a fine line and they crossed it early, unfortunately the umpires didn't Pull Up the s**t early........., fitaxx was playing a top game until the incident, to me, he was led by his teammates previous actions...

No justification for any of the WCFC incidents

10 goals down then 12 goal win... Airport West played Great Football

I do feel sorry for wcfc as a whole, but

It is what it is

Agree with alot of your post mate, i guess when the severity of an incident/s results in hospitalisation, Broken cheekbones etc., everyone witnessing this display etc...brings out everyones true opinions- especially in a Grand Final.. The thing is it's not a one off with this club. Toughness is one thing, but

i think, going into your second Grand Final in a row and your opponent is Airport West 2013, would have been hard enough for WC- They came out tough and hard at it but there is a fine line and they crossed it early, unfortunately the umpires didn't Pull Up the s**t early........., fitaxx was playing a top game until the incident, to me, he was led by his teammates previous actions...

No justification for any of the WCFC incidents

10 goals down then 13 goal win... Airport West played Great Football

I do feel sorry for wcfc as a whole, but

It is what it is
No doubt at all mate, it shouldn't have happened. The umpires do have to accept a lot of culpability for it to. As annoying as it may be on occasion i think the umpires need to be quicker placing reports or sending people off, it'd clean the game up a helluva lot.
I think part of the problem is that a lot of people have a misconception as to what toughness is.. toughness has nothing to do with ones ability to belt someone or even dish out a shirtfront. Toughness is in the knowledge that the bump is coming yet you still put your nose over the ball.

No doubt at all mate, it shouldn't have happened. The umpires do have to accept a lot of culpability for it to. As annoying as it may be on occasion i think the umpires need to be quicker placing reports or sending people off, it'd clean the game up a helluva lot.
I think part of the problem is that a lot of people have a misconception as to what toughness is.. toughness has nothing to do with ones ability to belt someone or even dish out a shirtfront. Toughness is in the knowledge that the bump is coming yet you still put your nose over the ball.
How would you know what toughness was?

I have had my fair share of issues with the WCFC over years, more with the supporters to be honest, and have also been involved with some less than desirable incidents at my club. The club cannot control the actions of the actions of a player or supporter, they can only set the limits of what is and is not acceptable within their club and many times players or supporters will ignore these limits and cross the line.

The true test will be what action the WCFC takes about these breaches and where it see its limits and that will define what its culture is right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Word is that a Northern Saints player may be looking to return to his previous club.
Craigieburn is chasing a few of their former players it seems, Nolan staying at Paco, Gordon returning, it'll be interesting to see if anymore come back with the departure of Barnard.

The Facts
-The racial aspect was NEVER raised during or after the game by any Player, WC Official or the EDFL itself or the EDFL Triburnal at or prior to the hearing. This was also confirmed by Mark Turri via last saturadys radio show that no claim or evevedence on the racial aspect has been presented verbally or written.
-What you may find is that social media supporters of WC have jumped on this racial card as a reason to soften the blow of the potential penality labeling it as "an out of character event". Maybe it has had an affect on the sentance handed down who knows?(Prisons are full of people who do things out of character!!!) Seems by the backlash by everbody (apart from WC) stating that 7 weeks is a joke has some merrit?
-The EDFL want this matter to go away ASAP as they have thier heads in the cloud fluffing up their compitition as the best. As a leadership group have some severe shortcommings that they need to adress.
-The GF Umpires need to be also held accountable for their lack of control on the day (All 3 of them)
-What was the penality for the investergation into the McVeigh king hit? (Dont tell me 4 weeks?)

Grand Final-
2 kicking incidents- 1 of which resulted in a fractured cheekbone to a 17 yr old
Few sniping incidents

I think you will find this matter is now in the hands of the Police & Courts as no agrement could be reached?

With the EDFL vision of 10 teams in all 3 divisions I would have thought a 17 year old getting king hit and then kicked would have been dealt with a lot harsher. Not sure how many clubs looking to make a move to the EDFL will be questioing the move after what happened on Grand Final day. Especially as they most teams would start in the same Division as WC.

With the EDFL vision of 10 teams in all 3 divisions I would have thought a 17 year old getting king hit and then kicked would have been dealt with a lot harsher. Not sure how many clubs looking to make a move to the EDFL will be questioing the move after what happened on Grand Final day. Especially as they most teams would start in the same Division as WC.

More fall out from Grand Final at Tribunal
8 / 9 September - Tuesday 18 September 2012
Lilino. M (West Coburg) Seniors - Striking - Guilty - 8 Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back