EDFL Juniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting development, the EDFL will charge all players and coaches an extra $10 each in administration fees this coming season on top of the normall fees to assist in recouping costs.
This means that the volunteers who support the league will pay for the greed of a poorly managed competition.
I understand that there are paid positions (admin) but local football has become a business and there are people unfairly profiting from the efforts of volunteers. What ever happened to the honorary roles in the sport!
Maybe if the EDFL stopped providing things like free alcohol at meetings or half time events it would save a large amount a cash literally going down the drain.
Stop the perks and jobs for the boys and who knows we may actually be able to stop the over the top expenses placed on the grass roots.

Does anyone else thing it’s a joke that the EDFL are bringing in a covid levy of $10 per kid for season 2021. Apparently it’s a short fall on revenue list last year.

It's not per kid, it is per registered person and includes all players AND officials. For example, every member of the off-field team for every team (Coaches, Runners, Water, TMs etc) will need to be registered and pay the fee.

Does anyone else thing it’s a joke that the EDFL are bringing in a covid levy of $10 per kid for season 2021. Apparently it’s a short fall on revenue list last year.
Not ideal but I guess it was to be expected and it’s only $10. I think what’s even worse was hearing some clubs not refunding (or carrying over) players registration fees for the canceled season.

Not ideal but I guess it was to be expected and it’s only $10. I think what’s even worse was hearing some clubs not refunding (or carrying over) players registration fees for the canceled season.
Thats a bit sh.t.
Hadnt heard that

You seen the posts as well as I’m sure you commented. Look back and you will find.
Well, its no secret. Strathmore FC [clearly on their website] are charging all players an additional $50 Covid Levy. I'm pretty bad at math but $50 x 600 = $30,000. Must be a big team of cleaners, or...!

It also says that cleaning is mandated by EDFL. if someone has that mandate, please publish as i'm not on a committee.

(PS - this is on top of the $30 GST they collect on behalf of the government... or do they...).

And i think it says you have to pay an additional $265 even if you rolled over last years fees. I'm calling rip-off! But the parents must be still happy.

EDFL incompetence
The league has given clubs 36 hours to find umpires for all under 12s games on Sunday 11/4. The league has had months of knowing what umpire numbers they had, they also do allocations of games on Wednesday, yet they see fit to rush a request like this through.
Not to mention that in many cases these roles have been prepaid and now it's expected to be covered by volunteers!

Then you can look at the incompetence when it comes to grading teams year in year out. You only need to flick through the junior fixtures to see what a mess it is after division 1, it's really not that hard if you understand how clubs second teams onwards become smaller children with less ability......

Junior numbers are down and the one thing that hasn't been acknowledged is that there is less under 8s and Auskick children coming through. This will be a role on effect in the coming years and I fear will be a huge imposition on club/league future finance. It will be interesting to see if there is a response to assist this emerging issue.

Let's hope the league can regroup and stop fumbling the ball!

They actually do the umpire appointments on a Monday, so have known all week.

Ask people to take a pay cut and this is the result.

Every experienced coach has left the EDFL, and most importantly the main junior coaches.

They actually do the umpire appointments on a Monday, so have known all week.

Ask people to take a pay cut and this is the result.

Every experienced coach has left the EDFL, and most importantly the main junior coaches.
Worst run league in the state imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EDFL have no idea. It’s a wonder why kids are pulling out of football in droves.
I can see a few clubs in large population areas with there A side playing in divisions 3 & 4. Seroiusly this is incompetence of our league.
Under 14s and Greenvale, Craigieburn A side play division 3. East Sunbury, Roxburg Park play division 4. What a big joke that is! Yes maybe Roxy are in an awkward position with juniors but division 4. The other 3 I find laughable that they play such a low division.
14/ Div3
Greenvale A 22:28 v Strathmore B 0:0
Young Strsthmore kids playing Bs shouldnt have to put up with this. Great incentitive for coaches coaching young kids that are in a B side to play against a team that has 40 shots for goal.
This is only 1 example as to the incompetence of this league. And we wonder why juniors are dropping off in big numbers. Yes it’s round 1 but it can deter a lot of kids from playing. Losing by big margins and playing against much bigger kids can deter kids at young ages.
Thoughts??

Last edited:
U/12 Div 1 - seems fair.

Aberfeldie 1
26.16-172
FINAL
0.1-1
Airport West 1

Strathmore 1
10.8-68
FINAL
0.1-1
Westmeadows 1

Moonee Valley 1
0.0-0
FINAL
11.12-78
Keilor 1

Maribyrnong Park 1
8.17-65
FINAL
0.0-0
East Keilor 1

U/12 Div 1 - seems fair.

Aberfeldie 1
26.16-172
FINAL
0.1-1
Airport West 1

Strathmore 1
10.8-68
FINAL
0.1-1
Westmeadows 1

Moonee Valley 1
0.0-0
FINAL
11.12-78
Keilor 1

Maribyrnong Park 1
8.17-65
FINAL
0.0-0
East Keilor 1
Yes mate, seen that as well. B Grade clubs playing against A grade clubs. I see Greenvale in div2 and they won easy.
Surely blind Freddy will know Greenvale should be stronger than EK & MV due to population and club standing within the competition.
Westy are an interesting one! APW I’m not sure how they are tracking..

U/12 Div 1 - seems fair.

Aberfeldie 1
26.16-172
FINAL
0.1-1
Airport West 1

Strathmore 1
10.8-68
FINAL
0.1-1
Westmeadows 1

Moonee Valley 1
0.0-0
FINAL
11.12-78
Keilor 1

Maribyrnong Park 1
8.17-65
FINAL
0.0-0
East Keilor 1
Unbelievable, has to be ways to spread the talent. Schools have zones, why can’t kids footy, stop kids travelling to play at these clubs.

Unbelievable, has to be ways to spread the talent. Schools have zones, why can’t kids footy, stop kids travelling to play at these clubs.
Been the issue for 20plus years... Unfortunately the answer to your question is - Those Parents who are driving kids past home grounds to play at the so called Big Clubs put winning before all else. And before anyone tries to dispute that , part of it is if these parents think they have a kid with potential they are convinced by taking them to a club that wins in Div 1, it will increase their chances of being noticed and playing Rep footy. Then you have the kids who are just ordinary players but want to play in winning teams and Mummy/Daddy want to please the kid so stupidly move them to these big clubs.... In the end you can't educate imbeciles(all you parents who do this you are a dead set imbecile, no question about it)...

What on earth do you get out of smashing a side in round 1, U12's like this, coaches ego?, drag some kids and even it up.

Been the issue for 20plus years... Unfortunately the answer to your question is - Those Parents who are driving kids past home grounds to play at the so called Big Clubs put winning before all else. And before anyone tries to dispute that , part of it is if these parents think they have a kid with potential they are convinced by taking them to a club that wins in Div 1, it will increase their chances of being noticed and playing Rep footy. Then you have the kids who are just ordinary players but want to play in winning teams and Mummy/Daddy want to please the kid so stupidly move them to these big clubs.... In the end you can't educate imbeciles(all you parents who do this you are a dead set imbecile, no question about it)...

As a parent and coach of junior football I certainly understand why parents take their children to the 'bigger clubs' and it's not about winning.
At the smaller clubs they struggle for capable junior football coaches, not just dad or mum filling in.
The second issue is culture and the level of respect shown amongst the club, especially towards juniors. I have seen first hand the standard of behavior around juniors be enforced, this includes swearing, smoking, drinking, abuse towards oppositions and umpires, fighting, etc not be tolerated and families moved on. This doesn't happen at all of the smaller clubs (not saying all smaller clubs condone it either).
So you are aware most of the bigger clubs concentrate on junior development and process, the flags are generally irrelevant but a nice bonus if they happen.
I know of smaller clubs they try to get graded low so they can win a flag each year. Integrity and understanding both lacking and the priority isn't player development.
I don't blame parents for moving their children, but the bonus is that eventually these kids come out being better footballers as they enjoyed their junior careers and will likely filter back to the lower clubs anyway as there's only so many who can play for a senior team.

What on earth do you get out of smashing a side in round 1, U12's like this, coaches ego?, drag some kids and even it up.
It's the EDFL grading, they don't even try. A simple formula is that if a club has four teams they go 1,3,5,7 and three teams can do similar, two teams can go 2/3 and 5/6, then the hard part is the clubs with one team.
Sadley if you look all the way through the u12's results you will see the league is way off.

As a parent and coach of junior football I certainly understand why parents take their children to the 'bigger clubs' and it's not about winning.
At the smaller clubs they struggle for capable junior football coaches, not just dad or mum filling in.
The second issue is culture and the level of respect shown amongst the club, especially towards juniors. I have seen first hand the standard of behavior around juniors be enforced, this includes swearing, smoking, drinking, abuse towards oppositions and umpires, fighting, etc not be tolerated and families moved on. This doesn't happen at all of the smaller clubs (not saying all smaller clubs condone it either).
So you are aware most of the bigger clubs concentrate on junior development and process, the flags are generally irrelevant but a nice bonus if they happen.
I know of smaller clubs they try to get graded low so they can win a flag each year. Integrity and understanding both lacking and the priority isn't player development.
I don't blame parents for moving their children, but the bonus is that eventually these kids come out being better footballers as they enjoyed their junior careers and will likely filter back to the lower clubs anyway as there's only so many who can play for a senior team.
Fair points you raise. A great example is Keilor 14 A side, coached by Mick Mcgaune. These kids will learn so much at a fast rate.

Keilor has done well there. Money well spent imo..

It's the EDFL grading, they don't even try. A simple formula is that if a club has four teams they go 1,3,5,7 and three teams can do similar, two teams can go 2/3 and 5/6, then the hard part is the clubs with one team.
Sadley if you look all the way through the u12's results you will see the league is way off.
Also believe clubs request to play certain divisions at the start of the year. Are clubs being fair dinkum?? Also know of clubs tanking in early rounds. And some of these are NOT the smaller clubs either.

The league has given clubs 36 hours to find umpires for all under 12s games on Sunday 11/4. The league has had months of knowing what umpire numbers they had, they also do allocations of games on Wednesday, yet they see fit to rush a request like this through.
Not to mention that in many cases these roles have been prepaid and now it's expected to be covered by volunteers!

Then you can look at the incompetence when it comes to grading teams year in year out. You only need to flick through the junior fixtures to see what a mess it is after division 1, it's really not that hard if you understand how clubs second teams onwards become smaller children with less ability......

Junior numbers are down and the one thing that hasn't been acknowledged is that there is less under 8s and Auskick children coming through. This will be a role on effect in the coming years and I fear will be a huge imposition on club/league future finance. It will be interesting to see if there is a response to assist this emerging issue.

Let's hope the league can regroup and stop fumbling the ball!
The umpiring situation is only going to get worse, I was at a ground where the same umpire did all 4 games! really how short are they? hearing on the junior side they need another 40 or so and seniors 30 odd short, can anyone confirm? which will be highlighted this week with thirds and good friday games are all on the same day! Can only thank mr Kyte for cutting the pay of umpires, he wanted to save money he will now, as he will have less umpires to pay and clubs can save money by finding their own umpires across juniors and seniors each week. Good luck EDFL this is only going to take the league backwards. But who cares they are saving money!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back