Mega Thread EDFL Player points debate

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
End talent needed to be competitive. Also many junior clubs are ran as seperate entities from the seniors . Looking ahead it will be interesting to watch it all unfold.
I agree,
fostering loyalty will be absolutely crucial though for clubs to be succesful.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

For every loser, there is a winner.

I bet some clubs who have developed their own junior talent will be thrilled that the points system makes it harder for a car load of players to all leave their club in the one season. Or that former player who retires and lands a coaching job won't be able to raid his former club of 6-8 players.

Will also create an even spread of ex-VFL and ex-AFL talent filtering back to local clubs, the days of one club securing 3 or 4 blokes straight off AFL lists in a season are gone. Might make it easier for every club to get their 'share' of higher end talent.

'For every loser, there is a winner' hey footyman! What a selfish comment.

Good to see you have the greater concern and wellbeing of the game at a holistic level in your commentary there mate. Do you have any country blokes playing at your club footyman? The EDFL has a 50 point limit for its clubs. Tell me what the country leagues (eg GVFL) who you show such disdain for, are operating at?

'For every loser, there is a winner' hey footyman! What a selfish comment.

Good to see you have the greater concern and wellbeing of the game at a holistic level in your commentary there mate. Do you have any country blokes playing at your club footyman? The EDFL has a 50 point limit for its clubs. Tell me what the country leagues (eg GVFL) who you show such disdain for, are operating at?
To be fair mate the majority of posters in this thread are blatantly only thinking their own club when discussing this.
The side Rochy is fielding would definitely be on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to points but I don't understand why clubs in comps such as the EDFL get to work with 50 points whereas GVFL, Ballarat, Bendigo etc have a lesser allocation.

To be fair mate the majority of posters in this thread are blatantly only thinking their own club when discussing this.
The side Rochy is fielding would definitely be on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to points but I don't understand why clubs in comps such as the EDFL get to work with 50 points whereas GVFL, Ballarat, Bendigo etc have a lesser allocation.

Pretty simple BJ. Some clubs would have to let contracted players leave if it was say 35-40 points. Plus obviously the standard would drop and there would be big blowouts..

Pretty simple BJ. Some clubs would have to let contracted players leave if it was say 35-40 points. Plus obviously the standard would drop and there would be big blowouts..
So simple that you answered a question that I didn't ask.
If edfl gets 50pts, so too should the other leagues imo.

Last edited:

Yep I understand the urge for blatant self-interest, but in my experience this often ends badly. Think Albury in the O&M and North Ballarat in the BFL, and we don't need the same at a league level. You have identified my two key points: Why is there a disparity in relation to points in country leagues compared to the EDFL? And I dismiss notiions of 'winners and losers' as being a valid argument in any broader debate about the points system and sustainability in terms of footy across the state. The EDFL premier grade is top shelf footy but I would like to see AFL Victorias rationalisation for the the disparate points allocations across footy leagues.

Sounds a bit Orwellian to me: 'All footy leagues (and clubs)are equal, but some footy leagues (and clubs) are more equal than others'. (sic)

Yep I understand the urge for blatant self-interest, but in my experience this often ends badly. Think Albury in the O&M and North Ballarat in the BFL, and we don't need the same at a league level. You have identified my two key points: Why is there a disparity in relation to points in country leagues compared to the EDFL? And I dismiss notiions of 'winners and losers' as being a valid argument in any broader debate about the points system and sustainability in terms of footy across the state. The EDFL premier grade is top shelf footy but I would like to see AFL Victorias rationalisation for the the disparate points allocations across footy leagues.

Sounds a bit Orwellian to me: 'All footy leagues (and clubs)are equal, but some footy leagues (and clubs) are more equal than others'. (sic)

We're definitely thinking along the same lines.
Nothing wrong with North Ballarat though.

I have always had an interest in the Roosters. Nigel VanDeerVeer arrived at Rochy in '89 out of that powerful Roosters dynasty and turned the club around.

Anyway, we have probably done points to death until someone clarifies the situation.

Last edited:

Hey BJ, on another subject will Nth Ballarat roosters VFL side be able to come back to their former glory as a stand alone side. I know they have great facilities but can they get back up. I believe it's harder now with Ballarat City close by. What's your thoughts??

PS: I know it's probably the wrong thread.

Hey BJ, on another subject will Nth Ballarat roosters VFL side be able to come back to their former glory as a stand alone side. I know they have great facilities but can they get back up. I believe it's harder now with Ballarat City close by. What's your thoughts??

PS: I know it's probably the wrong thread.
They're fielding a very young side and if given time they should be alright given the talented players that come through the Rebels, the main issue as with all country leagues/clubs is the lure of the city and the extra $$ that generally comes with it.
NBCFC have nothing to do with it either. ;)

I have a question for those more learned than I:

•Player A came to us in 2016 as a 4 point player
•He played 15 senior games & finished top 5 in our club BnF

Given that he is not a home player, is he still 4 points because he finished top 5?

Or does he get 1 point deducted for the years service making him 3 points for 2017?

Given that he is not a home player, is he still 4 points because he finished top 5?

Or does he get 1 point deducted for the years service making him 3 points for 2017?
He becomes a 3 point player for a year of service. The points are added to players who leave a club. So if your player left he would have a point added for finishing in the top 5 of your B&F. Hope that makes sense mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He becomes a 3 point player for a year of service. The points are added to players who leave a club. So if your player left he would have a point added for finishing in the top 5 of your B&F. Hope that makes sense mate

This is why I dislike the points system. Why should a player have 1 point added just for having a good season. Same with goal kicking. It just wasn't thought out properly or the idiots have no idea of what it's like to be a footy player.
I do like the idea of keeping players at clubs rather than changing every year but added points is a joke really.. Just disadvantages the better players..

This is why I dislike the points system. Why should a player have 1 point added just for having a good season. Same with goal kicking. It just wasn't thought out properly or the idiots have no idea of what it's like to be a footy player.
I do like the idea of keeping players at clubs rather than changing every year but added points is a joke really.. Just disadvantages the better players..
This will probably go onto the list of things that we agree to disagree over but IMO it doesn't really disadvantage the player, more it prevents the haves from pillaging the have nots for their more talented players.

This will probably go onto the list of things that we agree to disagree over but IMO it doesn't really disadvantage the player, more it prevents the haves from pillaging the have nots for their more talented players.

Hey BJ, so if a player wins the club goalkicking with say 45 goals he gets another point added if he decides to leave. Not sure that's a good thing. Maybe if they kick over 80 it might be reasonable..

I'm sure it's club based when maybe it should be competition based. Top 3 comp B&F and goalkicking maybe..

Anyway what can we do about this!! Sweet FA.

Who you with this coming season??

Hey BJ, so if a player wins the club goalkicking with say 45 goals he gets another point added if he decides to leave. Not sure that's a good thing. Maybe if they kick over 80 it might be reasonable..

I'm sure it's club based when maybe it should be competition based. Top 3 comp B&F and goalkicking maybe..

i think you'll find there's been a revision to the player points system and the extra point for goalkicking no longer applies from next year

the same may apply for BnF finish - but dont quote me on that

Fair point, I do get your point, I just feel more needs to be done to protect the smaller clubs from being raided incessantly.

I'm still at North City.:thumbsu:

Players already have most the power in these situations, all it is doing is making it slightly harder for players to shop themselves around to rival clubs

For those people anti the whole points issue tomorrow is a great time to see how it can be a bit of a joke. Against Jacana tomorrow Craigieburn will debut a young kid who hasn't done anything other than being a pretty decent player for other clubs, but whose points value is the same as Dean Limbach.

For those people anti the whole points issue tomorrow is a great time to see how it can be a bit of a joke. Against Jacana tomorrow Craigieburn will debut a young kid who hasn't done anything other than being a pretty decent player for other clubs, but whose points value is the same as Dean Limbach.

Great to see the points system is working well. Oh no it’s the same teams look like playing finals again in premier and div1.

Can someone please explain to me how a points system is implemented to create a fairer competition yet all teams have the same points. Absolute joke imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back