EDFL Premier Div 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spread them as far as you like, if you spend on high pointers you either won’t fit them or they won’t get a game

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That is true. People are complaining about the big 4 or 5 and that won't change as they have the majority of young players. Unless you restrict the number of teams clubs can have in each age division. Therefore, spreading one pointers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is true. People are complaining about the big 4 or 5 and that won't change as they have the majority of young players. Unless you restrict the number of teams clubs can have in each age division. Therefore, spreading one pointers.

You are somewhat right in that it should spread players to other teams. There is always the possibility that some of those numbers walk away if they can’t play at those clubs. Also, to play devils advocate, the big 4 or 5 will still have the best 2 sides. Your theory is to have one pointers come through to seniors to even out the competition... but if those big 4 or 5 still have 40odd of the best kids in each age group then they will still remain the big 4 or 5. So on top of possibily limiting the number of teams, you also need to provide a quality junior program. My theory has always been that perhaps some of that money that goes towards the senior department, maybe some could go towards quality junior coaches. If you could pay a junior coach who has good credentials and attracts families to the club, that gives a chance at sustainability, as hopefully you can get those stronger players choosing your club as a place of destination. Anyway those are just my thoughts.

You can make $, points, teams per club all equal. It is up to the club how they present and conduct themselves so as to make themselves the most inviting option. As I can assure all clubs have differing views on what is inviting.
One area that will never be equal is the demographics of each club and its surroundings.

You are somewhat right in that it should spread players to other teams. There is always the possibility that some of those numbers walk away if they can’t play at those clubs. Also, to play devils advocate, the big 4 or 5 will still have the best 2 sides. Your theory is to have one pointers come through to seniors to even out the competition... but if those big 4 or 5 still have 40odd of the best kids in each age group then they will still remain the big 4 or 5. So on top of possibily limiting the number of teams, you also need to provide a quality junior program. My theory has always been that perhaps some of that money that goes towards the senior department, maybe some could go towards quality junior coaches. If you could pay a junior coach who has good credentials and attracts families to the club, that gives a chance at sustainability, as hopefully you can get those stronger players choosing your club as a place of destination. Anyway those are just my thoughts.

I understand where your coming from here but ultimately it’s still going back to the almighty $$ and who has more. Paying a junior coach is good in theory but where does it stop. How much will clubs pay to entice a coach across to bring 5/6 players. It will get ugly.. Do we start paying under 13 coaches as well.
The reason clubs look to build there senior team is success there can lead into other things and it can bring or entice juniors to the club. Not every club has the numbers underneath to build from the ground up. Keilor for example have a large area to draw kids in. Surrounding areas like Kealba, Keilor Downs etc. Then if you go out a bit more you are into areas where teams are either mostly b grade or c grade so they are known to drag in the better junior talent. So it’s not comparable to say sides closer to Essendon with less areas of growth, less younger families, less primary schools etc..

How many kids live in say Taylor’s Lakes but play at Keilor? So will TL ever get the chance to build up from the ground with talented juniors becoming 1 pointers. Simple answer NO.

AFL Vic - TAC Cups use zoning to recruit players. If you live in say Altona and play juniors for Altona you can’t go and play for the Cannons as Western Jets get the opportunity first as your in that area. I think zoning is a good option but how do you map it out so it’s equal. That would be very hard.

Now let’s use Pacco as an example. Strathmore FC, West Coburg FC, Glenroy, Oak Park all pretty close with 3 of these teams currently in premier league. Then throw in Coburg Districts who are actually in Pascoe Vale’s area so it’s not easy to compare.. No offence to Coburg Districts but that area is not Coburg it’s Pascoe Vale. So take out that club and then things change massively for a club like PV and to some extent it then flows on to help Glenroy and WC.

Craigieburn have a huge area to draw on compared to these clubs above.

Now let’s look at Avondale Heights. Gee whiz that’s a tough situation. Proud club with nice ground and pretty good facilities. Best home change rooms in the comp. But the area one side is very old and the other side townhouses. So not a lot of kids running around the streets. Marby is close and the other side is going into EK territory. At junior levels both AH and EK play in similar divisions (not div1) so it’s a toss up. If your kid is talented you are probably looking to move to Marby, Abers or Keilor. So what’s the future hold for AH??? They must try and recruit senior players and try and get senior success to draw people in.. then start to build underneath that.. That costs $$ and now with the points it’s hard.

So what’s the answer to make it more competitive across the board. How can AH bridge the gap on Abers for example. Improve there junior program to get 1 pointers in the future? Haha will that bridge the gap!!

I think zoning is a good start with an allowance for father/son rule. In all honesty most kids want to play at the closet ground with there mates, unless of course they grew up watching dad play for a surrounding club. Kids only go to other clubs due to parents moving them to play a higher division, they think there kid is a superstar or they have been recruited in, which I’m against as that’s what has started all this unevenness to some degree along with clubs paying huge $$ to win premierships and now we have what we have...Now the honest truth and now local footy what it is thanks to these clubs. Good on them for doing it as they didn’t technically break any rules but please don’t tell me clubs are where they are at due to having better people etc..

The only clubs outside my thoughts and have no chance to ever improve at the junior level upwards are those who are living in the past and still encourage rough play and intimidation as there only way of gaining an advantage. These people / clubs have no hope of ever prospering into the future with that mentality..

Cheers,
Turbo

Last edited:
I understand where your coming from here but ultimately it’s still going back to the almighty $$ and who has more. Paying a junior coach is good in theory but where does it stop. How much will clubs pay to entice a coach across to bring 5/6 players. It will get ugly.. Do we start paying under 13 coaches as well.
The reason clubs look to build there senior team is success there can lead into other things and it can bring or entice juniors to the club. Not every club has the numbers underneath to build from the ground up. Keilor for example have a large area to draw kids in. Surrounding areas like Kealba, Keilor Downs etc. Then if you go out a bit more you are into areas where teams are either mostly b grade or c grade so they are known to drag in the better junior talent. So it’s not comparable to say sides closer to Essendon with less areas of growth, less younger families, less primary schools etc..

How many kids live in say Taylor’s Lakes but play at Keilor? So will TL ever get the chance to build up from the ground with talented juniors becoming 1 pointers. Simple answer NO.

AFL Vic - TAC Cups use zoning to recruit players. If you live in say Altona and play juniors for Altona you can’t go and play for the Cannons as Western Jets get the opportunity first as your in that area. I think zoning is a good option but how do you map it out so it’s equal. That would be very hard.

Now let’s use Pacco as an example. Strathmore FC, West Coburg FC, Glenroy, Oak Park all pretty close with 3 of these teams currently in premier league. Then throw in Coburg Districts who are actually in Pascoe Vale’s area so it’s not easy to compare.. No offence to Coburg Districts but that area is not Coburg it’s Pascoe Vale. So take out that club and then things change massively for a club like PV and to some extent it then flows on to help Glenroy and WC.

Craigieburn have a huge area to draw on compared to these clubs above.

Now let’s look at Avondale Heights. Gee whiz that’s a tough situation. Proud club with nice ground and pretty good facilities. Best home change rooms in the comp. But the area one side is very old and the other side townhouses. So not a lot of kids running around the streets. Marby is close and the other side is going into EK territory. At junior levels both AH and EK play in similar divisions (not div1) so it’s a toss up. If your kid is talented you are probably looking to move to Marby, Abers or Keilor. So what’s the future hold for AH??? They must try and recruit senior players and try and get senior success to draw people in.. then start to build underneath that.. That costs $$ and now with the points it’s hard.

So what’s the answer to make it more competitive across the board. How can AH bridge the gap on Abers for example. Improve there junior program to get 1 pointers in the future? Haha will that bridge the gap!!

I think zoning is a good start with an allowance for father/son rule. In all honesty most kids want to play at the closet ground with there mates, unless of course they grew up watching dad play for a surrounding club. Kids only go to other clubs due to parents moving them to play a higher division, they think there kid is a superstar or they have been recruited in, which I’m against as that’s what has started all this unevenness to some degree along with clubs paying huge $$ to win premierships and now we have what we have...Now the honest truth and now local footy what it is thanks to these clubs. Good on them for doing it as they didn’t technically break any rules but please don’t tell me clubs are where they are at due to having better people etc..

The only clubs outside my thoughts and have no chance to ever improve at the junior level upwards are those who are living in the past and still encourage rough play and intimidation as there only way of gaining an advantage. These people / clubs have no hope of ever prospering into the future with that mentality..

Cheers,
Turbo

Zoning might sound good in theory but I have a few questions.........

What if a kid lives in Keilor/Taylors Lakes but goes to school in Essendon and all his mates play at Douttas for example.

He has to go straight from school to training and his parents can’t pick him up from school making it easier to get to training at Douttas with his mates.

Wouldn’t be fair to not let him play with all his mates, it would make it harder for him to get to footy and maybe even determine if he plays footy.

What if a family has a falling out with a coach / committee member. Is the kid not allowed to play at any other club because of his zone? Could also result in a kid not playing footy.

Most important thing about Junior footy is that kids that want to play are given an opportunity to pull on a jumper (whichever they want) and enjoy themselves

Zoning might sound good in theory but I have a few questions.........

What if a kid lives in Keilor/Taylors Lakes but goes to school in Essendon and all his mates play at Douttas for example.

He has to go straight from school to training and his parents can’t pick him up from school making it easier to get to training at Douttas with his mates.

Wouldn’t be fair to not let him play with all his mates, it would make it harder for him to get to footy and maybe even determine if he plays footy.

What if a family has a falling out with a coach / committee member. Is the kid not allowed to play at any other club because of his zone? Could also result in a kid not playing footy.

Most important thing about Junior footy is that kids that want to play are given an opportunity to pull on a jumper (whichever they want) and enjoy themselves

Your last paragraph says it all, everything else just doesn’t matter.

However if as some posters say, introducing caps, zones whatever, this could undermine all that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Matty Horne appointed new Strathmore head coach. First ever role as a coach and also on the back of a playing career in the 2’s.
Interesting decision.

Just because he played twos doesn't mean he can't coach senior football if that's what you're alluding to.
Shows he is a good clubman and his ego doesn't get in the way of helping out the club.

Been many do it, and we all know cases of extremely good footballers who land coaching gigs purely on their name but haven't quite been able to manage it.
All the best to Sthrathmore and to Horne.

Been many do it, and we all know cases of extremely good footballers who land coaching gigs purely on their name but haven't quite been able to manage it.
All the best to Sthrathmore and to Horne.
You only have to look at 2018
West Coburg paid 40k to get relegated. EDS 50k to miss by a whisker. Paco had the highest paid list and coach in the edfl and missed finals x 2. Names don't equal success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back