EDFL Premier Div 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demographics for a club like Stkilda City means they will always struggle to attract good juniors as not many kids in the area and the ones that are usually play private school footy... But have to commend the club as they have embraced the commission flats, the African community and Koori kids from the prahran & stkilda areas and have won the last 3 u/19 flags.
Fair call mate, I admittedly know little about St Kilda City or their circumstances.
I'm just against offering inducements to get kids to play footy as I can only see it causing headaches down the line.
iirc Deer Park were paying players to play in their u19s a few years ago, how many of them have stuck around?

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope they stay up as well. But Glenroy also have changed as a club over recent years and been reasonably competitive which has been great. Some great club people off field doing great things but with no 19s it’s tough. Plus they have struggled to recruit some real good “A list” players in that right age bracket (Del Busso really like him and his an A lister) however Relying on the likes of Dulic, Kite, Winter, Ferraro etc to carry the group can only take you so far in premier division.

Thoughts??

Very disappointing effort. Eagles seem to be a notch behind the other clubs in fitness and approach. Side also seems to change a fair bit from week to week.

Very disappointing effort. Eagles seem to be a notch behind the other clubs in fitness and approach. Side also seems to change a fair bit from week to week.

Unfortunately this can be the problem when appointing coaches like this. They are fine in div1 footy but struggle in premier as have never coached higher footy. They seem to struggle with knowledge and game plans and don’t have the contacts to recruit more established “A” grade players. This post is in no way disrespectful to APW coach but it’s the truth. It’s a huge jump to premier. APW have $$ so that’s not the issue.

It’s the reason why EDS, Marby etc are doing well with less credentialed players but still doing reasonably well. Hardingham and Laidley in charge.

Strathmore have an outstanding junior program. Sone junior teams all playing div1,div2,div3. So 13Cs playing div3. That’s how strong they are at the junior level. They will always be competitive and obviously have $$$. The current coach was a senior assistant at premier level as well under a playing coach. So good apprenticeship but they are rebuilding somewhat I think.
Abers, Keilor, Greenvale, Pacco, Marby, EDS, AH all have experienced coaches.

Glenroy”s coach is another who has never coached higher level and it seems they struggle to draw top end talent. It’s sometimes not all about the money that draws players in, but the person at the helm.

Once again this post is in no way disrespecting coaches as it’s a tough gig thesedays but it’s what I’ve noticed. Need to have the power to draw top end players in. But it’s also difficult due to the points system..

😂😂😂😂

Always liked going out to Hansen Res APW for a schnitzel roll and a beer with the boys out there.. They will definitely be disappointed with that loss especially at home and the margin.

Of course. Losing sucks, but IMO Geoff's a fantastic coach who may just be short a bit of talent. Losing his best player to the VFL probably hasn't helped and I know they tried to get a few players. History seems to show it's a tough gig to go up and stay up.

Paco v Marby this week is a big game. Last year Marby beat Paco at Paco..

However let’s assume Paco wins then the top 4 will be (in no particular order) Abers, Keilor, Greenvale and Paco at the end of the year. It’s an early call but if Paco win the gap will be very evident early..Thoughts!!

Paco v Marby this week is a big game. Last year Marby beat Paco at Paco..

However let’s assume Paco wins then the top 4 will be (in no particular order) Abers, Keilor, Greenvale and Paco at the end of the year. It’s an early call but if Paco win the gap will be very evident early..Thoughts!!
I can't see Marby beating Pacco

See

Seems like a question you have an answer for already. What do you think and why ask the question?
Heard a couple of murmurs on the weekend, just throwing it out there to see if anyone here heard the same.
Great junior coach, is he struggling with the big boys?

Heard a couple of murmurs on the weekend, just throwing it out there to see if anyone here heard the same.
Great junior coach, is he struggling with the big boys?
If you look at his record from when he took over mid 2017 the team improved. 2018 APW won the flag and went up. I think it is more the cattle he has available. They are able to stay with sides for portions of games but unless you have more quality on the paddock you can't go a full game. I expect they may go back down but it is a learning for both the club and coach as to what is required.

If you look at his record from when he took over mid 2017 the team improved. 2018 APW won the flag and went up. I think it is more the cattle he has available. They are able to stay with sides for portions of games but unless you have more quality on the paddock you can't go a full game. I expect they may go back down but it is a learning for both the club and coach as to what is required.

Is he the oldest coach in the league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he the oldest coach in the league?
I don't know, he is in early 50's so maybe. I don't think that has anything to do with it. Yes his main experiences are with junior football. Three under 16 grandfinals in a row for two wins. He took over a struggling team and got them to the final and won it the following year in Div 1. From the times I have heard him talk, he is calm and encouraging.

I don't know, he is in early 50's so maybe. I don't think that has anything to do with it. Yes his main experiences are with junior football. Three under 16 grandfinals in a row for two wins. He took over a struggling team and got them to the final and won it the following year in Div 1. From the times I have heard him talk, he is calm and encouraging.

3 under 16 gf's - he had the best team made up of kids poached from other clubs, so please give that a spell. Coaching Junior flags has no bearing on how good you are as a coach, otherwise your argument would be all coaches from Abers,Mores and Keilor are good and all the others are crap..

In saying that I will defend him , he simply does not have the cattle to compete with most teams in A Grade, whoever judges him against his coaching based on wins & losses this season has NO IDEA.. Still think the relegation battle is wide open between APW, Roys and AH

3 under 16 gf's - he had the best team made up of kids poached from other clubs, so please give that a spell. Coaching Junior flags has no bearing on how good you are as a coach, otherwise your argument would be all coaches from Abers,Mores and Keilor are good and all the others are crap..

In saying that I will defend him , he simply does not have the cattle to compete with most teams in A Grade, whoever judges him against his coaching based on wins & losses this season has NO IDEA.. Still think the relegation battle is wide open between APW, Roys and AH

AH top few players are better than APW and Glenroy which will get them over the line against the other 2 sides. Plus these players have been together for a few years and there captain leads them well..That helps them..

If Paco gets over Marby by over 30 then there will be a big gap between the top 4 and bottom 6. Somehow that’s not good, however the comp is strong.

AH top few players are better than APW and Glenroy which will get them over the line against the other 2 sides. Plus these players have been together for a few years and there captain leads them well..That helps them..

If Paco gets over Marby by over 30 then there will be a big gap between the top 4 and bottom 6. Somehow that’s not good, however the comp is strong.

Half agree with ya Turbo. However, i reckon the comps as weak as its been for a long time. The 4 is basically set already. Abers & Keilor clearly above the rest, Paco and GV 3rd & 4th. Strathmore will finish 5th and Marby/EDS will battle out 6th & 7th. Marby & Paco both missed finals last year and those teams would beat Strathmore/Marby/EDS of this season by a long way

Pacco will beat Marby by 60+ if they are on song

Half agree with ya Turbo. However, i reckon the comps as weak as its been for a long time. The 4 is basically set already. Abers & Keilor clearly above the rest, Paco and GV 3rd & 4th. Strathmore will finish 5th and Marby/EDS will battle out 6th & 7th. Marby & Paco both missed finals last year and those teams would beat Strathmore/Marby/EDS of this season by a long way
I think EDS can push the Mores

You say poached, I say that some boys went to Doutta as he was the u18 EDFL coach, or those boys wanted to join some mates. It's a big call saying that he contacted players asking them to join him at Douttas. I'd be interested to know who you think he poached.

Pacco will beat Marby by 60+ if they are on song
Reckon you will see a much better effort from Marby this week, hardly trained last week due to lightning issues at the ground and a few injuries hit. I’m sure effort this week will be in line with the round 2 game at Greenvale. Laidley will have them back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back