Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
your missing the point it would have to be the best team from each league. So would happen after the grand final of their local league. Maybe 2 weeks later for example
With all due respect, if I played ( not gonna happen) in a premiership winning team, I would be in no fit state, either physically or psychologically, to get myself up for further matches ( even 2 weeks later ). I’d be in Bali, or off on holiday with the family, or still in the pub.

I do agree it would be interesting to see how the best teams in the EDFL would acquit themselves against the best in other comps in a fair dinkum match. Very well I would think. Just can’t see it happening, and if it did, I doubt if players would commit to the extent they do in a local grand final.

Biggest Choker

Senior List
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Of course anything can be made to happen. What I am saying is that it is an unjustifiable, meaningless sideshow, but which can dramatically affect a clubs premiership prospects if their players sustain injuries. I would far rather my club won an EDFL premiership than to be called the champion local club in Victoria, by defeating clubs from other comps.

The risk of injury in these type of matches is real, and players deserve a break throughout the season. You blithely skip past those 2 points as if money is the cure all for everything.
I casually skipped past your 2 points because it is "ALL ABOUT THE MONEY". Anyone that believes otherwise in club land is in La la Land ! If you had All the junior players back at there original clubs, how successful will that club be without the imports/mercenary players following the dollar? Don't tell me they are playing for the jumper or the club. If Keilor Park happened to raise $200k from somewhere, do you think they would still be holding up the other 27 clubs - The smell of money will draw players from everywhere , your head will start spinning! If players get injured, can easily be replaced by "3-4 week borrowed" players from regional district for that period. And YES,in my opinion, I dont think money can cure EVERYTHING, but it will certainly provide you with a lot more choices and opportunities to create & retain a successful environment!

Mar 25, 2002
37° 70' 12"
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Deer park could probably go out on the field and beat 85% of teams with no coach and doing their own rotations if they have their full strength side in which they didn’t all year

This comment intrigued me. Any well drilled team (and I include underage teams) should do their own rotations

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
You Gus are seriously dreaming, there’s no way any of these scenarios would happen, these blokes whilst paid well for home and away, actually have lives, jobs and families, the season is long enough pre-season starts in November, praccy matches in March.
Clubs risk losing stars during this period little lone playing in some meaningless game for a few $, so us mugs can have a few cans and get a footy fix pre-season
Tell em your dreamin

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was thinking more before the season like a full on type practice match. Can’t be mid season or end of season.

Sickofthecrap

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
With all due respect, if I played ( not gonna happen) in a premiership winning team, I would be in no fit state, either physically or psychologically, to get myself up for further matches ( even 2 weeks later ). I’d be in Bali, or off on holiday with the family, or still in the pub.

I do agree it would be interesting to see how the best teams in the EDFL would acquit themselves against the best in other comps in a fair dinkum match. Very well I would think. Just can’t see it happening, and if it did, I doubt if players would commit to the extent they do in a local grand final.

Stax, your right, it won’t happen , after the season please you can’t be serious, personally I couldn’t give a rats arse if the the EDFL Premier could beat the EFL/WRFL or whoever’s Premier it’s not worth a pinch of s**t.
Be as good as you can be in your comp for your sponsors hard working committee/staff and supporters, that’s it, the rest is BS

Newatthis

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry Biggest Choker, it’s not going to happen. The name of the game for most clubs is to win the premiership in their local competition. Everything is geared towards that end. It is not about gaining meaningless bragging rights by beating the better teams in other competitions.

Anything which jeopardises a club’s chances of winning the flag will ( justifiably ) not be entertained. Imagine if a Dean Galea or Luke Blackwell suffered a season ending injury in a meaningless “ exhibition “ match against Deer Park or Vermont on the bye weekend. Could potentially cost them the premiership in the EDFL. I don’t think being able to boast “but we beat Vermont, and are therefore the best local club in Victoria” would be much consolation.

The byes are there for a purpose; and that is to give players a well earned break from the physical rigours of a tough season. They are not there to slot in additional matches, which in the overall context, don’t really mean a lot, except to pander to those who might be intrigued as to the outcome.
Why have practice matches, someone may get a season ending injury in one of those.

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why have practice matches, someone may get a season ending injury in one of those.
Certainly could, and yes serious injuries occur in practice matches. But at least practice matches are geared towards preparing for, and competing in the local football competition, which is surely club’s main focus. No need to increase the injury risk by slotting in additional, meaningless, and what are essentially d..k measuring contests.” Doubt if players would take such matches seriously as well. So how credible would they be?

Newatthis

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Certainly could, and yes serious injuries occur in practice matches. But at least practice matches are geared towards preparing for, and competing in the local football competition, which is surely club’s main focus. No need to increase the injury risk by slotting in additional, meaningless, and what are essentially d..k measuring contests.” Doubt if players would take such matches seriously as well. So how credible would they be?
And that is why the AFL doesn’t play state of origin games anymore and NSW vs QLD draw almost 100,000 to the MCG

Route 59

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Always been of the view inter-league games could work if made U/23-24. The older guys have done there thing, most have played at a higher level than the comp they play in so it’s not important to them.
I think such games could possibly attract recruiters so the younger boys would be keen to play.
Same problem though, clubs wouldn’t want them playing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Orbit

Team Captain
Nov 29, 2018
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
All clubs well advanced in planning for next year, but wait....salary cap about to be reduced in all divisions.
Fun and games about to start.

Newatthis

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Always been of the view inter-league games could work if made U/23-24. The older guys have done there thing, most have played at a higher level than the comp they play in so it’s not important to them.
I think such games could possibly attract recruiters so the younger boys would be keen to play.
Same problem though, clubs wouldn’t want them playing.

If you open it up to 21 to 24 year olds you have a bigger pool and still of interest to recruiters.

Route 59

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
If you open it up to 21 to 24 year olds you have a bigger pool and still of interest to recruiters.

So you agree. Surely some premier div clubs and some lower have U/24’s who have payed Jetts or Cannons could still play at a higher level.
Just need to be seen by the right people.
I said previous clubs wouldn’t want there youngsters playing I take that back.
If publicised right, recruiters would be there and clubs would push for the right players to be involved.

Sickofthecrap

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
So you agree. Surely some premier div clubs and some lower have U/24’s who have payed Jetts or Cannons could still play at a higher level.
If publicised right, recruiters would be there and clubs would push for the right players to be involved.

I actually think this is a great idea, AFL VIC should replace the whole inter league program with an under 23 or 24 carnival, prior to the AFL mid season draft

Newatthis

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

I agree that an EDFL team made up of under 21 to 24 players should be put together and they play other leagues.

Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
All clubs well advanced in planning for next year, but wait....salary cap about to be reduced in all divisions.
Fun and games about to start.

Really Orbit?! Think you of all people would know that the reductions have been slated several years in advance - nor surprise that it was coming down for 2020. But will it come down, that's the question?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back