EDFL Premier Div 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that you don't get out that way all that often?
Even allowing for traffic the GPS puts it at 28 mins from Essendon to Craigieburn.
I have seen the amount of traffic heading out of town now and then, 28 mins would be pushing it

I'm guessing that you don't get out that way all that often?
Even allowing for traffic the GPS puts it at 28 mins from Essendon to Craigieburn.

Can you imagine the traffic if you lived in the west on that ring road or even coming from the city on the Tulla in peak hour. Mate it’s horrendous and imagine sitting in it in the hot sun to get to pre season training.

Can you imagine the traffic if you lived in the west on that ring road or even coming from the city on the Tulla in peak hour. Mate it’s horrendous and imagine sitting in it in the hot sun to get to pre season training.
I imagine it'd be less than ideal but it ultimately wouldn't make a drastic difference when contrasted with to your Paccos, Greenvales etc.
There have been players that have come up from Geelong etc to play in this comp, when the culture or $$$ are right the travel becomes a secondary factor it seems.

I spend a lot of time at Highgate and the oval behind us is rarely used for football.
Cricket, Rugby, Soccer are the activities of choice there, so whilst Craigieburn may be growing in a sense, the demographic as such is drawn to pastimes other than Australian Rules.
And last night I had to head into Airport West before training, it fair dinkum took me twice as long to get back to Craigieburn than it takes me to drive in from Kilmore my 3-4 times a week.

Not saying it has bearings on Lance and his club, but sitting bumper to bumper to drive past a dozen other (closer) options can't help ... unless of course it purely comes down to dollars.

I imagine it'd be less than ideal but it ultimately wouldn't make a drastic difference when contrasted with to your Paccos, Greenvales etc.
There have been players that have come up from Geelong etc to play in this comp, when the culture or $$$ are right the travel becomes a secondary factor it seems.

BJ, I’m not having a dig at CB in any way just stating that clubs outside the metro city area can experience difficulties with recruiting. If a player was coming from Geelong then good luck getting to CB in 5-6pm traffic. Turn off and go to Keilor and it saves you about an hour sitting in traffic jams. Even the ring road to Keilor from say Altona is just chaos..Hence why a lot of players from WRFL will prefer going to BFL than EDFL. Getting to Melton, Sunbury, Darly, the Marsh is less stressful.

BJ, I’m not having a dig at CB in any way just stating that clubs outside the metro city area can experience difficulties with recruiting. If a player was coming from Geelong then good luck getting to CB in 5-6pm traffic. Turn off and go to Keilor and it saves you about an hour sitting in traffic jams. Even the ring road to Keilor from say Altona is just chaos..Hence why a lot of players from WRFL will prefer going to BFL than EDFL. Getting to Melton, Sunbury, Darly, the Marsh is less stressful.
I didn't say that you were, additionally my post was in no way emotive.
The West may well be more problematic for some but it isn't the only area to draw players from.
I'm adamant though that if the players requirements are met that they'll make the effort despite any resulting inconvenience.

Team of the Decade predictions?
Solid squad of 40 listed on EDFL socials...

Here’s my prediction

FB - Toy(Abers), Allen(Abers), Arrowsmith(S, EK)

CHB - Brewer(G), Tanner(AH, K) Iacabucci (S)

W - Barbuto(K), Blackwell(Abers), B Ross (PV)

CHF - Maric(G), Thompson(G), T Lee (MP)

FF - Reimers(Abers), Galea(AH, K), Rose (AH)

R - Andrew Browne (K), Lynch(EDS, Abers), F Caruso(NS, G)

INT- Cubillo (Abers), Foster (PV), Jarrod (S) Deluca (G)

I didn't say that you were, additionally my post was in no way emotive.
The West may well be more problematic for some but it isn't the only area to draw players from.
I'm adamant though that if the players requirements are met that they'll make the effort despite any resulting inconvenience.

Hey mate, it’s all good conversation but if it’s not the travel part then why do CB always seem to struggle to draw premier league standard players to compete at the top level. Never had a problem drawing in players that are good in div1 for good coin but always seem to struggle in premier.
*Im only responding to comments on here that reported CB are struggling to find recruits and have yet to announce any big signings.

I’m talking about outside recruits not there good crop of ex juniors who returned this season.

Fair side and great you have started this topic which is based on opinions I know.

I would have Foster at CHB *but that’s obvious as his from PV.

Surely Cubillo starts in the 18. One of the best players/leaders I’ve seen in recent years. Probably after the Ayres years at MP his been clearly the best leader in this comp.

Hey mate, it’s all good conversation but if it’s not the travel part then why do CB always seem to struggle to draw premier league standard players to compete at the top level. Never had a problem drawing in players that are good in div1 for good coin but always seem to struggle in premier.
*Im only responding to comments on here that reported CB are struggling to find recruits and have yet to announce any big signings.

I’m talking about outside recruits not there good crop of ex juniors who returned this season.
I think that there can be any number of reasons and I'm certainly not ruling out distance as a contributing factor but I think that there's more to it than that alone.
Personally, I make the trip from Kensington to North Ballarat because in many ways the town & club represent "home" to me,
Similarly, I'm sure that if Lance @ Craigieburn or Paul/Bruce @ Greenvale can sell their club in a positive enough light (backed with suitable $$) that there will be plenty that'll be happy to make the trip out there too.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair side and great you have started this topic which is based on opinions I know.

I would have Foster at CHB *but that’s obvious as his from PV.

Surely Cubillo starts in the 18. One of the best players/leaders I’ve seen in recent years. Probably after the Ayres years at MP his been clearly the best leader in this comp.
Sorry but Matt smith is the best CHB in the last 10 years. Even kicked the winning goal in 2012.
He was that good mcguane had a tagger on him.
Tanner isn’t even in the same class.
Foster is a distance second

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s my prediction

You can’t have the best team of the last decade and not have Ayres, Kuret and Jorgenson not even in the 40. Whoever decided the 40 knows nothing about EDFL footy

I have seen the amount of traffic heading out of town now and then, 28 mins would be pushing it
Not all young blokes live in Essendon, in fact very few would be able to afford it. Plenty of good young footballers would have set home in the outer suburbs a short drive to Cragieburn. Sunbury would be the first place I would look if I was Lance.

I spend a lot of time at Highgate and the oval behind us is rarely used for football.
Cricket, Rugby, Soccer are the activities of choice there, so whilst Craigieburn may be growing in a sense, the demographic as such is drawn to pastimes other than Australian Rules.
And last night I had to head into Airport West before training, it fair dinkum took me twice as long to get back to Craigieburn than it takes me to drive in from Kilmore my 3-4 times a week.

Not saying it has bearings on Lance and his club, but sitting bumper to bumper to drive past a dozen other (closer) options can't help ... unless of course it purely comes down to dollars.
Try getting stuck on Sydney or Mount Alexander roads trying to get to Pascoe Vale or Strathmore. Traffic isn’t isolated to the outer suburbs.

Here’s my prediction

If Arrowsmith made it ahead of Jorgensen (who isn’t in the squad) then that it shows how big a joke the whole exercise is.

More about club culture of having guys that want to enjoy playing footy and have a few beers with the boys afterwards, which is a different type of player that is required to be competitive at Premier level, which takes a whole extra level of commitment..

I will give you one from out of my christmas cupboard . Im hearing that quite a few supporters are starting to ask questions about the way the Greenvale football club is run overall and that the closed shop of 3-5 people need to be moved on. The main question has been where is all the money . Quite a few players asking the same question
Merry Christmas to all

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a couple of young guns on the way out of Clifton Park. Hearing James Peters headed up Cooper St to DS and Jean-Luc Velissaris heading down the hill to MP.

Whisper on the street that some in EDFL wanted Keilor and Abers to take a 2 point cut in 2020. Completely ridiculous. One Ops Mgr understood to have resigned over it (or was politely asked to take down the 2017 and 2018 flag photos and pack his desk). Why would you punish clubs that have successfully managed the payment and points cap and reward clubs that sat on their hands?

Whisper on the street that some in EDFL wanted Keilor and Abers to take a 2 point cut in 2020. Completely ridiculous. One Ops Mgr understood to have resigned over it (or was politely asked to take down the 2017 and 2018 flag photos and pack his desk). Why would you punish clubs that have successfully managed the payment and points cap and reward clubs that sat on their hands?

The system was set up to balance the points to achieve an Even competition. These 2 teams have dominated the competition and played in grand finals every year over recent times. Why not reduce the points or give other clubs more to balance it out.
Yes I agree these 2 clubs have good junior numbers but clubs didn’t ask for the points system it was bought in by AFL Vic and clearly gave certain clubs a huge advantage so was that fair?

I see the WRFL have reduced points from the premiership side and given the promoted club a few extra points.

Is there a fair way to please all clubs? The answer is no.. But ultimately we want a more even competition and it’s probably the only way to do it.

Now on another subject in line with this conversation I’m hearing that certain bigger successful clubs are still trying to poach young aged kids from lower clubs. Even kids as young as 14-15. Cmon that’s not right. Could the clubs complaining be the clubs raising these kids, only to have clubs with more high profile people (being polite here) come in and try and influence them to change clubs.. If clubs continue to do this then dont expect other clubs to just sit by and take it..

That has been going on for 20+ years, and it is often influenced by Calder Cannons and Western Jets who would prefer the kids to be playing at the bigger clubs and in Div 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back