EDFL Premier Div 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whisper on the street that some in EDFL wanted Keilor and Abers to take a 2 point cut in 2020. Completely ridiculous. One Ops Mgr understood to have resigned over it (or was politely asked to take down the 2017 and 2018 flag photos and pack his desk). Why would you punish clubs that have successfully managed the payment and points cap and reward clubs that sat on their hands?

It’s ridiculous to tell clubs they have less points than they have recruited to and planned for.
I don’t think the points have to be evenly limited but you can’t tell a side at the start of a season they have less points all of a sudden - they recruit based on points.
You could give the other clubs an extra 2 points and I think that’s more fair.

It’s ridiculous to tell clubs they have less points than they have recruited to and planned for.
I don’t think the points have to be evenly limited but you can’t tell a side at the start of a season they have less points all of a sudden - they recruit based on points.
You could give the other clubs an extra 2 points and I think that’s more fair.

Totally agree 100%. Nothing will eventuate anyway. Even if they did reduce there points Abers would still be fine but Keilor do play at close to the max most weeks. I think Abers budget would be under over the last couple of seasons but don’t tell me Keilor are not spending most of the salary cap or as much as other big spending clubs. But hey I don’t have any issue with that as it’s within the rules and good on them. Always wondered if other clubs haven’t tried hard to poach Mick from Keilor. Would he look at other offers?? Would he take on another challenge? It’s an interesting one..but my mind tells me if he did leave one day it wouldn’t be to coach against Keilor and most likely another league if anyone is willing to meet his demands. Surely his still one of the highest paid coaches but apparently he did take a cut a number of years back. And so he should be as his the best in the business..

Totally agree 100%. Nothing will eventuate anyway. Even if they did reduce there points Abers would still be fine but Keilor do play at close to the max most weeks. I think Abers budget would be under over the last couple of seasons but don’t tell me Keilor are not spending most of the salary cap or as much as other big spending clubs. But hey I don’t have any issue with that as it’s within the rules and good on them. Always wondered if other clubs haven’t tried hard to poach Mick from Keilor. Would he look at other offers?? Would he take on another challenge? It’s an interesting one..but my mind tells me if he did leave one day it wouldn’t be to coach against Keilor and most likely another league if anyone is willing to meet his demands. Surely his still one of the highest paid coaches but apparently he did take a cut a number of years back. And so he should be as his the best in the business..
Well he wasn’t the coach of the decade but

Well he wasn’t the coach of the decade but

Now that is a joke, if Potter is the best which he isn’t IMO, why didn’t they appoint him interleague coach
Mick has reinvented Keilor at least twice, Potter had a Bart Cummings stable when he walked in

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Now that is a joke, if Potter is the best which he isn’t IMO, why didn’t they appoint him interleague coach
Mick has reinvented Keilor at least twice, Potter had a Bart Cummings stable when he walked in

Anthony Rock was best coach.
won 2 flags with teams that were not best in comp. but only coached 3 years.

Whisper on the street that some in EDFL wanted Keilor and Abers to take a 2 point cut in 2020. Completely ridiculous. One Ops Mgr understood to have resigned over it (or was politely asked to take down the 2017 and 2018 flag photos and pack his desk). Why would you punish clubs that have successfully managed the payment and points cap and reward clubs that sat on their hands?
Because they cheated

Last I heard he's on 80K, which is money well spent if you can afford it.

The system was set up to balance the points to achieve an Even competition. These 2 teams have dominated the competition and played in grand finals every year over recent times. Why not reduce the points or give other clubs more to balance it out.
Yes I agree these 2 clubs have good junior numbers but clubs didn’t ask for the points system it was bought in by AFL Vic and clearly gave certain clubs a huge advantage so was that fair?

I see the WRFL have reduced points from the premiership side and given the promoted club a few extra points.

Is there a fair way to please all clubs? The answer is no.. But ultimately we want a more even competition and it’s probably the only way to do it.

Now on another subject in line with this conversation I’m hearing that certain bigger successful clubs are still trying to poach young aged kids from lower clubs. Even kids as young as 14-15. Cmon that’s not right. Could the clubs complaining be the clubs raising these kids, only to have clubs with more high profile people (being polite here) come in and try and influence them to change clubs.. If clubs continue to do this then dont expect other clubs to just sit by and take it..
Imagine how excited these kids Dads are when a former AFL player influencer calls and says hey we like your son come play at our successful club..... what a joke....... talent identification isnt refined to Div 1 footy either there are plenty of current 16's & 18's playing this level that dont play div 1. If a kid has talent and recruiters see potential and upside they get asked to train at the level. Recruiters are watching basketball to identify talent and get them into AFL

Donald D

back on this subject of coach of the decade how is Potter given the job when I’m sure he was co coach during some of these years. So that should be taken into consideration. Clubs were trying to get the “playing co coach part payments outside the cap”

back on this subject of coach of the decade how is Potter given the job when I’m sure he was co coach during some of these years. So that should be taken into consideration. Clubs were trying to get the “playing co coach part payments outside the cap”
From my memory he took over from Mal Michael and was a stand alone coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was co coach with Blackwell and I think someone else at one point if my memory serves me well..

I think Damien Peverill and Dean Rioli were assisting Potter in his early days, then Blackwell this year

was co coach with Blackwell and I think someone else at one point if my memory serves me well..
Come on Turbo, that’s pretty ungracious. Potter has been the head coach at Abers for 5 seasons for 5 Grand Final appearances and 3 premierships. No other coach over the past decade, including Mick McGuane has got a strike rate of success anywhere near that which Potter has achieved.

McGuane has been coach at Keilor for 12 seasons for 4 GF appearances and 3 flags. Missed the finals in 2011,12,13. McGuane is a fantastic coach, but Potter absolutely deserves the mantle of coach of the decade.

Come on Turbo, that’s pretty ungracious. Potter has been the head coach at Abers for 5 seasons for 5 Grand Final appearances and 3 premierships. No other coach over the past decade, including Mick McGuane has got a strike rate of success anywhere near that which Potter has achieved.

McGuane has been coach at Keilor for 12 seasons for 4 GF appearances and 3 flags. Missed the finals in 2011,12,13. McGuane is a fantastic coach, but Potter absolutely deserves the mantle of coach of the decade.

All head coaches have assistants, that’s all Turbo and me are saying, I still believe Mick is a better coach and team builder than Potter, but thats my opinion

hey old mate. Trust you are well.

I admire all coaches for the time they put into coaching but surely you also need to take into account the budget ABERS had for a number of years. Me and you could have put out a premiership side with that budget. I recall a gun player at Aber (who won a comp medal) being interviewed by an opposing club and he was offered 2 times the best offer to go to Abers from the Northern league. I won’t mention his name but once the salary cap came in he had to transfer leagues to keep his huge salary.. Anyway that’s history..

hey old mate. Trust you are well.

I admire all coaches for the time they put into coaching but surely you also need to take into account the budget ABERS had for a number of years. Me and you could have put out a premiership side with that budget. I recall a gun player at Aber (who won a comp medal) being interviewed by an opposing club and he was offered 2 times the best offer to go to Abers from the Northern league. I won’t mention his name but once the salary cap came in he had to transfer leagues to keep his huge salary.. Anyway that’s history..

He’s in the team of the decade to, went to Melton for $, but that’s all no flags

I am not sure about Rioli but Peverill was an assistant to Mal Micheal when Greenvale ran all over abbers in the granny a few years back
A very good signing for Doutta in Liam McKenna. Plays Essendon VFL so not sure how many games he will play at EDSFC. Big bodied midfielder type.

A very good signing for Doutta in Liam McKenna. Plays Essendon VFL so not sure how many games he will play at EDSFC. Big bodied midfielder type.
Seems to be a very capable get so long as he plays a few games but how are they going finding a replacement ruck. That is where they will struggle most this coming season if they can’t get someone over 195 cm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back