EDFL Premier Div 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a bad thing though turbs? Remember if half the guys in the comp were as good as they thought they were, they would still be in the AFL system.
Greenvale have played finals since chappy arrived, I'm not sure of the problem there, far better positioned by doing it this way, they throwing cash away
Hey mate, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. GV missed finals last year mate.

Hey mate, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. GV missed finals last year mate.

3 of the recruits named are unlikely to have much impact surely.
James Rohan and Dean Smith both legends of Greenvale but well and truly past it, most likely going back to play in the 2’s.
Nanya a bit more of an unknown I suppose, but the last time he played EDFL he was a shadow of the gun he was a few years earlier.
Greenvale had reasonable depth in the 2’s so should be pretty competitive but can’t see them pushing for a finals spot.

Keilor, Abers & Strathmore should be a tight run top 3. Daylight to Pacco who should finish 4th no problems.

Greenvale, Marby and EDS fight out for 5th, 6th & 7th. Avondale just below that group 8th.
Glenroy and Craigieburn fight out for 9th and relegation I think.

anyone see it any differently ?

James Rohan and Dean Smith both legends of Greenvale but well and truly past it, most likely going back to play in the 2’s.
Nanya a bit more of an unknown I suppose, but the last time he played EDFL he was a shadow of the gun he was a few years earlier.
Greenvale had reasonable depth in the 2’s so should be pretty competitive but can’t see them pushing for a finals spot.

Keilor, Abers & Strathmore should be a tight run top 3. Daylight to Pacco who should finish 4th no problems.

Greenvale, Marby and EDS fight out for 5th, 6th & 7th. Avondale just below that group 8th.

Nayna at his best was unstoppable, but has been playing Div 2 outer east comp and looking at stats hardly having any impact so I can hardly see him returning to dominate EDFL. I think you are just about spot on with your predictions, however dont be surprised if Avondale drop some results early if they end up in the relegation scrap.

Think you’re on the money Tubro!
Avondale could easily fall away to be with Glenroy and Craigieburn in the relegation battle - could make for some good games rather than dead rubbers!
Could any other club push top 4?

Avondale could easily fall away to be with Glenroy and Craigieburn in the relegation battle - could make for some good games rather than dead rubbers!

I spoke to a staunch Craigie man recently, declared they won’t win a game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I spoke to a staunch Craigie man recently, declared they won’t win a game

If that is true its a real shame they will bounce back down straight away, they used to be such a proud club going back to the RDFL days and would always be up for the fight. They regularly produced outstanding kids and the sledges from the outer were always interesting with a jovial crowd. No shortage of kids in the area so just a shame that they put in the hard work to win at Div 1 and then lose so many players.

I actually think this is a major issue across all metro leagues, where a club invests a team that is capable of winning in B grade which is usually with a mix of older, big bodied and experienced players who then don't have the commitment levels or fitness required to perform in A grade so leave or retire leaving the club that comes up with a big hole and unable to compete.

Not sure of the stats, but i reckon this happens far too regularly across the metro comps and the jump from Div 1 to prem is so extreme that unless you are a Marby Park or Paco with heaps of $ when you come up that you inevitably fall back down. This doesnt seem to happen so regularly in the VAFA so perhaps having 2 teams go up and down each year might be a better option.

If that is true its a real shame they will bounce back down straight away, they used to be such a proud club going back to the RDFL days and would always be up for the fight. They regularly produced outstanding kids and the sledges from the outer were always interesting with a jovial crowd. No shortage of kids in the area so just a shame that they put in the hard work to win at Div 1 and then lose so many players.

I actually think this is a major issue across all metro leagues, where a club invests a team that is capable of winning in B grade which is usually with a mix of older, big bodied and experienced players who then don't have the commitment levels or fitness required to perform in A grade so leave or retire leaving the club that comes up with a big hole and unable to compete.

Not sure of the stats, but i reckon this happens far too regularly across the metro comps and the jump from Div 1 to prem is so extreme that unless you are a Marby Park or Paco with heaps of $ when you come up that you inevitably fall back down. This doesnt seem to happen so regularly in the VAFA so perhaps having 2 teams go up and down each year might be a better option.

The points system will destroy any side that comes up unless they have a lot of their juniors with the ability to play at premier level.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Avondale tracking along nicely I’m hearing. Definitely won’t be around the bottom. My prediction (based on limited injuries) is they will finish 5-7 range.

Avondale tracking along nicely I’m hearing. Definitely won’t be around the bottom. My prediction (based on limited injuries) is they will finish 5-7 range.

Can’t see them any higher than 7 and that would be a great result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A team going up to the next division should be allowed 60 points for the first year to help them stay up.

A team going up to the next division should be allowed 60 points for the first year to help them stay up.
One of the more moronic comments I have ever read. Your comment means that any year the premiership could be won by a team that is playing with the advantage of 14 points as the system is at the moment. Why not just let them have 24 blokes on the field .
What is wrong with teams who arent good enough being beaten. If your club isnt good enough , get involved to make it better .The moderator gives me a day off for my moronic points of view, take a look at this idiot please Mr Moderator

One of the more moronic comments I have ever read. Your comment means that any year the premiership could be won by a team that is playing with the advantage of 14 points as the system is at the moment. Why not just let them have 24 blokes on the field .
What is wrong with teams who arent good enough being beaten. If your club isnt good enough , get involved to make it better .The moderator gives me a day off for my moronic points of view, take a look at this idiot please Mr Moderator
Dude if you think 13 extra points is going to make a div 1 team win a flag in their first season then you sir are moronic... it will be the diff between then winning no games vs maybe winning 5 and not getting relegated the following year. 13 points will be 4 players at best maybe 5..... You think 5 extra players in any div 1 team currently will win a premier flag.... dreaming.

I dont think changing the points and allowing a club to leverage themselves bringing in high profile recruits is the answer. For a club to successfully make the jump they need to have a core group of committed players in the 20-26yo range.. IMHO its time that they need, if a club promoted was guaranteed 2 years they could have the time to build a sustainable team..

I dont think changing the points and allowing a club to leverage themselves bringing in high profile recruits is the answer. For a club to successfully make the jump they need to have a core group of committed players in the 20-26yo range.. IMHO its time that they need, if a club promoted was guaranteed 2 years they could have the time to build a sustainable team..
Thats a great option also i think make them immune from going down the year of promotion.

disagree.
Will cause massive issues with then clubs winning the second division not able to come up due the promoted club of the previous year finishing last that year and not going down, they will probably finish last second year up, the club not up to that level and needs to find its feet at the next level after the first year.
look at Glenroy there been up 2 years up and survived, and by going all report will stay up this year making 3 years in A grade

They should be allowed more points I agree, but 60 is way to high so I reckon 50 is fair.
Simple fix. Lower the points allowed for Divy 1 And Divy 2.
Premier 45
Divy 1 40
Divy 2 37
Great idea and should have been like this from the start. It then allows clubs in the lower divisions to apply for extra points as per some other comps. Example would be Keilor Park who have returned after a year in recess. Allow them 50 points and reduce it each year to bring it back..

What’s make you sustainable in Premier is cash if ain’t got it you’re heading back down, I agree with you that you need quality home grown 1 pointers, about 25 of them, but these kids want 200+ a game, then you buy 4 or 5, 4/5 pointers at 1k+ a game, there’s 200k spent right there.
IMO, that’s not sustainable by a lot of clubs.
On the you’re good for 2 seasons up, philosophically yeh it has merit, realistically not gunna happen

What’s make you sustainable in Premier is cash if ain’t got it you’re heading back down, I agree with you that you need quality home grown 1 pointers, about 25 of them, but these kids want 200+ a game, then you buy 4 or 5, 4/5 pointers at 1k+ a game, there’s 200k spent right there.
On the you’re good for 2 seasons up, philosophically yeh it has merit, realistically not gunna happen

Any ladder predictions now that Practice Matches are underway?

I’ll go first

Keilor
Abers
Paco
Strathmore
Marby
GV
AH
DS
Glenroy
CB

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree on top 4, next 4, GV,EDS, MP & AH, I’m tipping EDS as the mover in 2020, they’ve picked up some handy types

my argument is that they type of team you need to win a B Grade flag, usually with mature experienced players is a completely different type of squad that will be competitive in A grade.

Many players move to B grade, because work and family mean they no longer have the ability to train twice a week, play Saturday and then do the recovery on a Sunday that is required to perform at A grade.. So B grade clubs fill themselves with these types win the flag and then those guys either go out on a high and retire or leave because they don’t wish to play A grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back