EDFL Premier Div 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not something one wants to contemplate however $$$$
Just noticed AFL Goldfields have closed their office and laid off all staff.Is the EDFL looking at a similar scenario? Surely the EDFL board could operate the league as it is at the moment?
Admittedly the EDFL has cash reserves but they would soon be swallowed.
Also noticed AFL Vic suggesting slashing salary cap for 2021 onwards.

Just noticed AFL Goldfields have closed their office and laid off all staff.Is the EDFL looking at a similar scenario? Surely the EDFL board could operate the league as it is at the moment?

it will take a while for small business to recover, inturn the sponsorship dollar will be a lot less. having said that, some clubs could fare better than others, and it would be awful if we had an even bigger chasm of difference between clubs In the future, so it’s an opportunity to rein things in and perhaps AFL vic could look at completely reorganising footy in the state as a whole.

I say keep a few staff in the office and stand the rest down.
Maybe keep the ceo, football manager and admin manager.
The rest unfortunately need to be sent on leave without pay. Just so the league doesn’t loose to much of there cash reserves.

I say keep a few staff in the office and stand the rest down.
Maybe keep the ceo, football manager and admin manager.
The rest unfortunately need to be sent on leave without pay. Just so the league doesn’t loose to much of there cash reserves.
We have 3 months without football so there is nothing to manage. Coming off a record financial loss in 2019 and with no income in 2020 every cent has to be saved.

WOW Carlton sever ties with the northern blues and the Northern blues are shutting their doors for good this did not take long .
If this is happening at VFL which I know its a slightly differant , senario but how long before we see local teams follow suit as you can not trade insolvent and with no cash flow for possible 12 months, sponsors drying up with little or no cash to spare going forward times are going to be tough

WOW Carlton sever ties with the northern blues and the Northern blues are shutting their doors for good this did not take long .
If this is happening at VFL which I know its a slightly differant , senario but how long before we see local teams follow suit as you can not trade insolvent and with no cash flow for possible 12 months, sponsors drying up with little or no cash to spare going forward times are going to be tough
It’s likely other AFL clubs will do the same that have affiliations with VFL teams. im sure some local clubs trade during insolvent times hoping to get out of that sooner, but it may we’ll be more difficult now.

It’s likely other AFL clubs will do the same that have affiliations with VFL teams. im sure some local clubs trade during insolvent times hoping to get out of that sooner, but it may we’ll be more difficult now.
What a shame i reckon the vfl could well be a thing of the past or at the very least all the old vfa clubs will be gone nortern blues aka preston. Port melb and coburg hanging on by their short and curlies i hope a few afl teams bit the bullet as well when . It might stp the afl thinking they are the governing body of all things in aussie rules

What a shame i reckon the vfl could well be a thing of the past or at the very least all the old vfa clubs will be gone nortern blues aka preston. Port melb and coburg hanging on by their short and curlies i hope a few afl teams bit the bullet as well when . It might stp the afl thinking they are the governing body of all things in aussie rules
Hey mate, I’m thinking player lists will be shorter and AFL players have a feeder club like they do in SANFL and WAFL. Some stronger clubs like Coll, Rich etc May continue with fielding VFL sides.

Hey mate, I’m thinking player lists will be shorter and AFL players have a feeder club like they do in SANFL and WAFL. Some stronger clubs like Coll, Rich etc May continue with fielding VFL sides.
Turbo I think you are right but it is a shame to see the old vfa clubs with just as important history as the afl clubs cast aside so easliy by the rat F*&k AFL

The AFL will use " cash shortage" to basically change the structure of football and implement what they want. This could/will mean the end of equalisation, propping up clubs. No mention of the AFLW, shorely the funds dry up. I'm also believe there will be fewer metro leagues. Interesting times ahead.

What a head in the sand comment, aflw has attracted new sponsorship, new members, new auskick, it will most likely be played as curtain raisers to the men's game. Most AFL clubs will severely slash their soft coaching cap, where many assistants will lose their jobs , recruiters etc, the flow on affect will be business sponsorship pulling the pin or substantially dropping their sponsor dollars down, player payments will drop 75% next year, which is a good thing for community sport, it will be interesting to see how many players will play for the drop in salary

The AFL will use " cash shortage" to basically change the structure of football and implement what they want. This could/will mean the end of equalisation, propping up clubs. No mention of the AFLW, shorely the funds dry up. I'm also believe there will be fewer metro leagues. Interesting times ahead.

What a head in the sand comment, aflw has attracted new sponsorship, new members, new auskick, it will most likely be played as curtain raisers to the men's game. Most AFL clubs will severely slash their soft coaching cap, where many assistants will lose their jobs , recruiters etc, the flow on affect will be business sponsorship pulling the pin or substantially dropping their sponsor dollars down, player payments will drop 75% next year, which is a good thing for community sport, it will be interesting to see how many players will play for the drop in salary

Agree that local football player payments will drop by 50 to 75%. I think it’s great as the demands of players re match payments are over inflated. How a reserves premier player can shop themselves around to Div 1 or 2 clubs and ask for $400-$700 per game is staggering. Why any club would pay it is even more astounding. In my opinion AFL Victoria will lower salary caps by 50% for next season and will Police it more heavily. Don’t be surprised if ATO also want to have a look into this area as well. They have to recoup a lot of money to repay their actions to deal with the current tragedy. The pool of sponsors clubs currently have will not be there next year with a lot of business just trying to survive.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree that local football player payments will drop by 50 to 75%. I think it’s great as the demands of players re match payments are over inflated. How a reserves premier player can shop themselves around to Div 1 or 2 clubs and ask for $400-$700 per game is staggering. Why any club would pay it is even more astounding. In my opinion AFL Victoria will lower salary caps by 50% for next season and will Police it more heavily. Don’t be surprised if ATO also want to have a look into this area as well. They have to recoup a lot of money to repay their actions to deal with the current tragedy. The pool of sponsors clubs currently have will not be there next year with a lot of business just trying to survive.

Nutty i dont disagree with you i also think the clubs that survive will re evaluate how much they pay players going forward .As there is just not going to be the same money available at community level football .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Head in the sand? AFLW was flawed from the beginning because it was fully subsidised. Yes it bought in sponsors at a national level and assisted in council grants at a local level. However the 25M subsidy would have been better spent at a co-ordinated approach from grass roots upwards. Now we have a black hole....the AFL shred 1000 staff clubs are shredding 100s, we have clubs that generate 50M and return a profit of 100k and rely on hand outs to pay players. Sport in general is over cooked. Head in sand, I don’t think so.

Head in the sand? AFLW was flawed from the beginning because it was fully subsidised. Yes it bought in sponsors at a national level and assisted in council grants at a local level. However the 25M subsidy would have been better spent at a co-ordinated approach from grass roots upwards. Now we have a black hole....the AFL shred 1000 staff clubs are shredding 100s, we have clubs that generate 50M and return a profit of 100k and rely on hand outs to pay players. Sport in general is over cooked. Head in sand, I don’t think so.
AFLW is here to stay.... under no circumstances will it go mark my words

Donald D

Interesting the conversation on local players being overpaid. Here's another issue with local football and it's cost.
It cost a junior player approximately $28 each week to take the field, this does not include kit, boots or mouth guard.
Now $6-$7 goes to umpires (fair enough) then another percentage to insurance and then league administration.
It works out to roughly $600 a game perside, $1200 if you add both teams fees together for a 48 minute game of football.
Insurance is not that much per game, it's not that hard to administer, the teams are coached for free by volunteers, so the league and clubs must be making something there.
Yes there is club expenses for juniors, but it's certainly not in the vicinity of $100 a week.
No wonder families walk away from the game and the lesser divisions suffer by never having access those players that weren't guns down the track.
The league and clubs are more focused on the money rather than player retention due to how things have evolved over time.
Hopefully some of this is undone.

Interesting the conversation on local players being overpaid. Here's another issue with local football and it's cost.
It cost a junior player approximately $28 each week to take the field, this does not include kit, boots or mouth guard.
Now $6-$7 goes to umpires (fair enough) then another percentage to insurance and then league administration.
It works out to roughly $600 a game perside, $1200 if you add both teams fees together for a 48 minute game of football.
Insurance is not that much per game, it's not that hard to administer, the teams are coached for free by volunteers, so the league and clubs must be making something there.
Yes there is club expenses for juniors, but it's certainly not in the vicinity of $100 a week.
No wonder families walk away from the game and the lesser divisions suffer by never having access those players that weren't guns down the track.
The league and clubs are more focused on the money rather than player retention due to how things have evolved over time.
The club expenses for juniors is senior match payments.

AFLW is here to stay.... under no circumstances will it go mark my words

Donald D
I’m not saying there will be no AFLW, I’m saying it could have been managed more efficiently. The first AFLW game at Princes Park was a lock out, fantastic, however there was no entry fee which sends the wrong message. Every club, competition must stand on their own two feet, no subsidies no propping up....user must pay at all levels.

Let’s be realistic, the big clubs use the junior fees to pay for senior match payments. A club with 3 or 4 sides in a junior division is only concerned with the cash as only 3 or 4 of that years age group will go on to play senior football with the club. If it were all about junior development they would pay junior coaches not just appoint parents to coach.

Did you factor in council fees, water electricity. I’m guessing those things would be high especially running lights for 5 nights a week for 3-4 hrs each night.

Aflw will end up more profitable than a second tier mens comp, northern blues have folded expect others to follow. Expect double headers where they play as the curtain raiser to the men's to save on costs in the future.

Metro clubs still don't get it, if you have great juniors invest your money there and create pathways for them to play senior footy, rather then spending on ex AFL players.

It would also appear their will be a plethora of assistant coaches in the AFL system, that will be looking elsewhere to coach, which could see a real influx of talented coaches throughout the state, which could be a good thing for clubs, with an expected drop in player payments throughout the state

I’m not saying there will be no AFLW, I’m saying it could have been managed more efficiently. The first AFLW game at Princes Park was a lock out, fantastic, however there was no entry fee which sends the wrong message. Every club, competition must stand on their own two feet, no subsidies no propping up....user must pay at all levels.

Did you factor in council fees, water electricity. I’m guessing those things would be high especially running lights for 5 nights a week for 3-4 hrs each night.

Out of interest, what is a rough junior membership worth at an EDFL club?
At present where my kids are, it's $190 or $320-350 (dont quote) a family approx.
This includes obviously league bit, umpire bit, insurance bit, training top, match day jumper and a few other little things along the way like
feeds/drinks etc.

Recently moved and tossing up options for kids sports etc beyond 2020.

Out of interest, what is a rough junior membership worth at an EDFL club?
At present where my kids are, it's $190 or $320-350 (dont quote) a family approx.
This includes obviously league bit, umpire bit, insurance bit, training top, match day jumper and a few other little things along the way like
feeds/drinks etc.

Recently moved and tossing up options for kids sports etc beyond 2020.
That’s a good deal you got mate, as it includes umpire fees and playing jumper. Do you get to keep the jumper?

if you went to one of the big clubs you will be up for 3 to 4 times that fee as I’m allowing say $70 for the jumper so you paid $120 and it covered umpires. I guess the average is around $300-350 plus your jumper. Bigger clubs like Abers, Keilor, Strathmore I “believe” are more..

That’s a good deal you got mate, as it includes umpire fees and playing jumper. Do you get to keep the jumper?

if you went to one of the big clubs you will be up for 3 to 4 times that fee as I’m allowing say $70 for the jumper so you paid $120 and it covered umpires. I guess the average is around $300-350 plus your jumper. Bigger clubs like Abers, Keilor, Strathmore I “believe” are more..
$450 for an under 10 at Doutta's - Includes - Training top, shorts and socks - No Jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back