Status
Not open for further replies.

kannonfodder

Rookie
Aug 9, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Name names please Turbo? Or PM me ...
I have participated at Cannons for 7-8 years now, and know of a few people who were moved on by Kytey within a short time of being involved simply for trying such things, as Ian frowned on stuff like club hopping etc.

If it's still happening then that's $hit :thumbsdown:

Hey Doona, are you still involved at Calder?

Last edited:

towball

Rookie
Nov 1, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Out of interest, what is a rough junior membership worth at an EDFL club?
At present where my kids are, it's $190 or $320-350 (dont quote) a family approx.
This includes obviously league bit, umpire bit, insurance bit, training top, match day jumper and a few other little things along the way like
feeds/drinks etc.

Recently moved and tossing up options for kids sports etc beyond 2020.

Keilor is $435 per junior, less $50 for every extra child between u16-u10. This includes umpire fees and a cheap nasty training top.
Jumper, shorts and socks are extra and there is a request for more for presentations.
It is also compulsory for parent rotation to work the canteen to make more money for the club.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Keilor is $435 per junior, less $50 for every extra child between u16-u10. This includes umpire fees and a cheap nasty training top.
Jumper, shorts and socks are extra and there is a request for more for presentations.
It is also compulsory for parent rotation to work the canteen to make more money for the club.
Question: if a kid got a serious injury round1 do they get anything reimbursed for umpire fees upfront. I like the idea that it saves chasing $10 each morning but is it the clubs way to profit from players missing games due to whatever reasons.

oldbutwise

Debutant
Sep 1, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Sad time as round one would have been done this weekend other than the Good Friday game. Local footy gives so much to so many it is a big loss hope we get at least a few games but sadly think 2020 will be a lost season.

Survey

All Australian
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Question: if a kid got a serious injury round1 do they get anything reimbursed for umpire fees upfront. I like the idea that it saves chasing $10 each morning but is it the clubs way to profit from players missing games due to whatever reasons.
Answer to Question = NO

RDFL blokey

Not in the RDFL anymore but won’t put the $20
Sep 13, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Isn’t that pretty well the idea of the EDFL these days?
See that’s not acceptable in my opinion. That’s basically just raping parents to pay senior footballers. If true that’s disgusting from any club..

Newatthis

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
That’s a good deal you got mate, as it includes umpire fees and playing jumper. Do you get to keep the jumper?

if you went to one of the big clubs you will be up for 3 to 4 times that fee as I’m allowing say $70 for the jumper so you paid $120 and it covered umpires. I guess the average is around $300-350 plus your jumper. Bigger clubs like Abers, Keilor, Strathmore I “believe” are more..
Abers is around $500 from previous posts

Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Abers is around $500 from previous posts
Sounds like a lot of it goes to senior footballers yeh?

Think when junior football returns in 2021 it might be best to let kids remain where I know they’ll not only have fun, get opportunity to develop, and the investment re:subs comes back to the kids ... not the senior list.

Ogdor

Rookie
May 24, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Think when junior football returns in 2021 it might be best to let kids remain where I know they’ll not only have fun, get opportunity to develop, and the investment re:subs comes back to the kids ... not the senior list.
What would happen if you used both the points system and $ cap but under the following principle. Introduce a system whereby 75 or 80% of your team sheet must be local juniors (played at least so many years, games etc in club juniors). Perhaps substantially most games where juniors have played for two or more clubs. This concept could end or severely limit mercenary behavior and benefactor involvement. Should ensure all clubs direct their spending on developing their juniors, coaches and necessary game staff.
Sure some clubs might argue their doing it now. However, EDFL may need to take a stand on the number of Club affiliated juniors to ensure even spread as a Club X may attract talent from outside their community needs to addressed. Obviously needs some fine tuning but its possibly a model with potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What would happen if you used both the points system and $ cap but under the following principle. Introduce a system whereby 75 or 80% of your team sheet must be local juniors (played at least so many years, games etc in club juniors). Perhaps substantially most games where juniors have played for two or more clubs. This concept could end or severely limit mercenary behavior and benefactor involvement. Should ensure all clubs direct their spending on developing their juniors, coaches and necessary game staff.
Sure some clubs might argue their doing it now. However, EDFL may need to take a stand on the number of Club affiliated juniors to ensure even spread as a Club X may attract talent from outside their community needs to addressed. Obviously needs some fine tuning but its possibly a model with potential.
I understand your view but can you imagine the clubs that will fold and the biased this will provide the bigger clubs. Some who have poached kids for many years now reaping rewards for grubby behavoir..

Ogdor

Rookie
May 24, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I understand your view but can you imagine the clubs that will fold and the biased this will provide the bigger clubs. Some who have poached kids for many years now reaping rewards for grubby behavoir..
The Post was for the Premier League application. Dispensation could be granted by EDFL for bottom Division teams in/out of recess/extreme hardship etc. The Div 1 and 2 may also be a slightly lesser club junior %. This % may be maintained by Div Premiers for the first year providing an opportunity to be competitive in the higher grade.

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Grubby behaviour. Do you write scripts for home and away? Are u Alf? If an adult is presented an opportunity for their children to better themselves, they will take it. Same in every other sport going around.

Sickofthecrap

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think it’s highly unlikely that kids will get to play at all in 2020, if that happens their fees should be rolled over to 2021, if you want to move clubs then you lose it, unless you’re moving to other league.
Remember there’ll be a whole new cohort to register in 2021.
If seniors do return, I don’t think they will, everyone needs to take a 50% haircut of their match payments, or cut the cap by 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it’s highly unlikely that kids will get to play at all in 2020, if that happens their fees should be rolled over to 2021, if you want to move clubs then you lose it, unless you’re moving to other league.
Remember there’ll be a whole new cohort to register in 2021.
If seniors do return, I don’t think they will, everyone needs to take a 50% haircut of their match payments, or cut the cap by 50%.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think there is zero chance of local footy getting up this season. Sad to see but more important things to worry about mate. Stay safe buddy..

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I have heard that Football Vic is considering having a salary cap of zero for 2021 to allow clubs to get back on their feet without the pressure to raise money to pay players, many clubs particularly in the bush would be solely reliant on income from the local pub to fund player payments. The pubs obviously wont be giving out the $ this year as they try to just survive and will be heaps of businesses who sponsored clubs who will no longer be in a position to do so.

Would take a lot of goodwill from clubs and leagues to make it fair so that no club could pay a player, might force a few early retirements for mercenaries but I still think most player pull on the boots for the love of the game, and particularly after sitting out a year most will be hanging to have a kick even if it is for free.

Sticksbradley

Senior List
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I have heard that Football Vic is considering having a salary cap of zero for 2021 to allow clubs to get back on their feet without the pressure to raise money to pay players, many clubs particularly in the bush would be solely reliant on income from the local pub to fund player payments. The pubs obviously wont be giving out the $ this year as they try to just survive and will be heaps of businesses who sponsored clubs who will no longer be in a position to do so.

Would take a lot of goodwill from clubs and leagues to make it fair so that no club could pay a player, might force a few early retirements for mercenaries but I still think most player pull on the boots for the love of the game, and particularly after sitting out a year most will be hanging to have a kick even if it is for free.
No way is it possible. Players will still get paid under table. I believe the proposed 50% reduction is a much more likely scenario.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
No way is it possible. Players will still get paid under table. I believe the proposed 50% reduction is a much more likely scenario.

Not sure how policing no payments is any harder than policing 50% payments.

At least if it is a firm rule across all competitors, everyone will be equal. Some may try and exploit it, but that happens now anyway so won’t be any different, but will become very obvious which clubs are cheating, but IMO if clubs see it for what it is and a 1 year hiatus on player payments for the good of local footy, I would be surprised if their is much push back.

Newatthis

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure how policing no payments is any harder than policing 50% payments.

At least if it is a firm rule across all competitors, everyone will be equal. Some may try and exploit it, but that happens now anyway so won’t be any different, but will become very obvious which clubs are cheating, but IMO if clubs see it for what it is and a 1 year hiatus on player payments for the good of local footy, I would be surprised if their is much push back.
Maybe not from the clubs but you better ask the players if they will accept it. I guess that Turbo’s claim, they play for the jumper would then be right.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Maybe not from the clubs but you better ask the players if they will accept it. I guess that Turbo’s claim, they play for the jumper would then be right.

i reckon most would, most play for the love of the game.. running around with their mates on a Saturday arvo and the social benefits as well, is still extremely important for young males. If there is no other club for them to leave to offering huge coin because everyone is playing for zero I would be surprised if many choose not to play, clubs could rightfully offer things like paid medical expenses and no subs to senior players.Some may decide to use it as a reason to travel, but I am not sure the borders will be reopened by then... Also with AFL lists likely to reduce, VFL footy probably dead their is going to be heaps of qualityyoung players returning to local footy clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back