EDFL Premier Div 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another bu

Wow another one that’s spent to long in quarantine! such happy people on this forum. Ever been a grumpier more negative bunch of blokes all connected on the one site ???
It’s not we are negative it’s just being a realist mate. Would love to see footy up & going but the strict controls are going to be difficult to manage.

So listened to podcast No2. Clubs have 10-15 trained Covid officers and they think that’s going to keep everything safe and in check. Well Clubs also have trained coaches and some have no idea ( with a few being suspended over recent years) so does it mean trained covid officers are the answer?
Personally thnk the risk is to high.

1- Will clubs find enough medical trainers who are prepared to risk being possibly infected?
2- No huddles for juniors and also seniors due to social distancing.
3- Bench staff will be only the coach with no assistants. Where will the interchange players sit. Most likely in cars..
4- Will clubs be able to control the crowds? Good luck at some clubs as it will get nasty..

Just stating a few concerns..

Anyway good luck to you all..

Another bu

Wow another one that’s spent to long in quarantine! such happy people on this forum. Ever been a grumpier more negative bunch of blokes all connected on the one site ???

😂 you make a great point Oldbutwise it never dawned on me today that my job was to make you feel more positive.... so here is a socially distant big hug from me 🤗 come on, come here don’t be shy...

Psst everyone I’m about to have a quick motivational chat to Oldbutwise in private we don’t want to upset him any further with the reality of things at the moment so just bare with me team...

Hey Oldbutwise you were right I took a long hot bath and contemplated your wisdom and I had to suck it up let’s look for the upside, hunt for that silver lining, glass half full, chin up, let’s get em tiger, if not now when, if not me who? we can do this let’s get out there with a positive attitude and good things will happen.

I feel better already Oldbutwise I reckon the coronavirus thing is overcooked, my gut says Dan Andrews is going to get rid of this social distancing and quarantine stuff in the next few weeks I can feel it in my bones then Boom off we go a bump in the road 2020 will be a cracker.🤩🥳

Sweet dreams Oldbutwise let me tuck you in tight, don’t worry I will leave the light on and I won’t shut the door totally and remember to put your teeth in the glass of water otherwise the tooth fairy might not visit .... nighty night

Another bu

It’s embarrassing, seriously let’s not play community sport for 5 years.
DC summed it up well on the podcast, these problems aren’t going away same issues to overcome next year, year after.
lets get on with it.

It’s embarrassing, seriously let’s not play community sport for 5 years.
DC summed it up well on the podcast, these problems aren’t going away same issues to overcome next year, year after.
lets get on with it.

What exactly is embarrassing?
Get on with what?

Your post is embarrassing because it’s vapid, void of a clear opinion, circular and rhetorical.

Do you understand I am not advocating one way or the other regarding whether I think we should have a 9 week 2020 season.

I would be interested in why you think we should have one, actual make a case, form an opinion, think through a pros and cons and maybe you might influence someone.

Posting inane rah rah I’m a rough and ready bloke 4 pot bar statements that say this is bad, but it ain’t going anywhere so * it let’s roll doesn’t float my boat but there is always the “Make EDFL Great Again” crowd I know a bloke I can introduce you to called Oldbutwise who might give you a vote just tell him it’s all going to be fine and he’ll be yours for life...

But seriously who are you saying let’s get on with it too? You do realise that there is only one person or office that will legally make it possible for a season to start in time and that’s the Chief Health Officer of Victoria?

AFL
EDFL
Council
Club Presidents

They are all irrelevant they can only operate within the laws passed down by the CHO of Victoria. We might not like it, we might think it’s bullshit but it’s just a fact.

You can put your shortest mini skirt on and shake your biggest Pom Poms TheDefender but you better make sure when you pull off that cheerleading dance routine that you are on the steps of Spring street because no one else can help you.

I’m not sure who your angry at and who you think has the power to get on with it?

Humour me...

PS I’m signing off now for another year, apologies to Oldbutwise and Thedefender cheapshots on the way out as I run off down the allyway so go your hardest free shots allowed😀

I allow myself one day a year on this glorious forum called bigfooty before it does my head in wrestling with the big issues of the day ;)

Enjoy and fingers crossed we all get some footy soon👍

It’s not we are negative it’s just being a realist mate. Would love to see footy up & going but the strict controls are going to be difficult to manage.

So listened to podcast No2. Clubs have 10-15 trained Covid officers and they think that’s going to keep everything safe and in check. Well Clubs also have trained coaches and some have no idea ( with a few being suspended over recent years) so does it mean trained covid officers are the answer?
Personally thnk the risk is to high.

1- Will clubs find enough medical trainers who are prepared to risk being possibly infected?
2- No huddles for juniors and also seniors due to social distancing.
3- Bench staff will be only the coach with no assistants. Where will the interchange players sit. Most likely in cars..
4- Will clubs be able to control the crowds? Good luck at some clubs as it will get nasty..

Just stating a few concerns..

Anyway good luck to you all..
I think for your safety old mate it’s time lock yourself in your cave. Armageddon is fast approaching Lol I mean no offence.

Seriously, I dont think a season will start but I’m staggered at the negativity and campaigning against a season resumption. The leadership from clubland Has been poor, and no stage have I heard “right, lets try and work together to solve these issues.” It’s been negative statement after negative statement. 8 weeks of isolation has clearly gotten to some and it’s time to start working together to save footy not just this year but for years to come as the issues that arise post 2020 will be just as scary and daunting in 2021!

Last edited:
I think for your safety old mate it’s time lock yourself in your cave. Armageddon is fast approaching Lol I mean no offence.

Seriously, I dont think a season will start but I’m staggered at the negativity and campaigning against a season resumption. The leadership from clubland Has been poor, and no stage have I heard “right, lets try and work together to solve these issues.” It’s been negative statement after negative statement. 8 weeks of isolation has clearly gotten to some and it’s time to start working together to save footy not just this year but for years to come as the issues that arise post 2020 will be just as scary and daunting in 2021!

Spot on Rusted nuts regarding the negativity.

Many of the posters on this forum are the exact reason local footy (juniors in particular) have umpire abuse, poor crowd behaviour etc.... the lack or reasoning, common sense and negativity is deplorable.

It so happens that what COVID has done, is exacerbate the negativity and the Armageddon thinking to a point where it’s poisonous.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

First time poster. Long time reader.

The negativity towards getting local footy started amazes me. The chances of infection/transmission are tiny but more importantly the chances of serious illness/death to healthy young participants is probably smaller than getting hit by a lightning strike.

Let's do all we can to get the season started. Local footy is so important to the community and to kids in particular.

Also, the Covid officer is the biggest joke role in footy. They don't actually do anything but get participants to register each time they take the field for matches or training. The fact 'training' for it is on-line and takes 15 minutes just shows how useless it is. It is simply something that some health officer bureaucrat has conjured up to make themselves feel important.

First time poster. Long time reader.

The negativity towards getting local footy started amazes me. The chances of infection/transmission are tiny but more importantly the chances of serious illness/death to healthy young participants is probably smaller than getting hit by a lightning strike.

Let's do all we can to get the season started. Local footy is so important to the community and to kids in particular.

Also, the Covid officer is the biggest joke role in footy. They don't actually do anything but get participants to register each time they take the field for matches or training. The fact 'training' for it is on-line and takes 15 minutes just shows how useless it is. It is simply something that some health officer bureaucrat has conjured up to make themselves feel important.

Your negativity towards Covid Officers amazes me

Official last night IF season goes ahead ZERO Salary Cap - and if any player payments for 2020 already made before today will be included in 2021 salary cap - whatever that will be - so many more questions still to be a asked - relegation, promotion, 2021 salary cap, crowds...........

I tried to get out but you dragged me back in........

Seriously all jokes aside I am really trying to understand what your, Ginger, Oldbutwise, Thedefender and Hooksy's point about negativity is?

Do we all agree that even if every single clubland and local league official was publicly united, proactively promoting training in line with current guidelines and publicly said if the Victorian Government eases the recreation and sports return to play laws we will all sign up to play will influence the Victorian Government Chief Health Officer and Dan Andrews decision-making framework about whether they will remove the social distancing laws, self-quarantine and contact tracing strategies within 8 weeks time to start a 2020 9 week season? Is that your working theory or frustration if only all of the local footy stakeholders could band together then we could change their minds? I really believe you guys are shooting the messengers that are just laying out the current reality and what the likely outcome means for local footy in 2020, your frustration is miss directed. It's just the facts and the best thing people who care about local footy can do is deal with that reality in an intelligent and practical way and plan for it. You rightly point out that 2021 will be hard enough and I agree so my counsel to clubs would be to focus on trying to survive and thrive in 2021 by:

* Using your precious volunteers time to create and document the state government detailed return to play guidelines plan which are very time consuming and difficult to do in preparation for 2021 where preseason for seniors will start Mid October 2020.
* Increase the level of communications to all of your stakeholders, members, parents, sponsors, coaches, volunteers, players at all levels.
* Conserve your bank balance at all costs in preparation for a likely big drop off in the number of sponsors dollars in 2021 due to the economy.
* Start your sponsorship drive for 2021 now, create new and innovative sponsorship packages and events to try and mitigate that loss.
* Engage volunteers in small worker bees, clubroom and facility improvements and get around to things that usually the season just doesn't allow us to get to.
* Step in and help players, volunteers and members who have fallen on hard times where you can with $ or an ear.
* Set up a social calendar event for 2020 in smaller groups of members and or players try and keep the fun and $ flowing as well as the bank balance for 2021.
* Start the massive job of re-contracting every single player on your list for 2021 (Once EDFL announces the reduced $100K salary cap) this will be a massive job with lots of uncertainty and challenges for all concerned.
* Start your volunteer drive for 2021 and set up some events to give back to volunteers in 2020 to get them motivated to stick around we need them more than ever.
* Identify the new and emerging building works, Covid and general grants programs available at Federal, State and Local Government level and do the heavy lifting of applying for those, something that gets very hard to do during the season as there is just no time.

There is more than enough to do with 2020 and I put it to you blokes that the survival and sustainability of your club and others is likely better focussed on building strength for the long term rather than raving on about chasing wild goose chases that are highly unlikely to eventuate to make you "feel like you are doing something positive" and will do more harm than good for the thing you say you care about by draining already limited resources both financially and physically from clubs and benefactors.

Stop and think through what you're advocating for because serious clubland officials that are "negative" or "lacking leadership" by not running full bore into a 9-week 2020 season are staring at those list of things and they're the ones who have to actually do the work.

If you really care about your clubs and local footy, stop, think and possibly pick up the phone to your local club and offer to help on one of those activities and I am sure they will be thrilled....

For context about the likelihood that the Chief Heath Officer and Dan Andrew's will remove social distancing, quarantine and contact tracing see below from Neil Mitchell this morning, they are shitting their pants as they have just this week let half the age groups of schools back, just one week and three schools are shut down with infections, now Dan Andrews is saying he is attempting to ban people who can work from home from going to work and we reckon in 8 weeks they will pull the pin on social distancing and let us play a contact sport in 8 weeks time. Come on lets gets fair-dinkum, stop chasing wild geese and get with the program and real work that needs to be done at our local footy clubs to survive and thrive in 2021. That's what being "positive" in the "real world" looks like.

3AW’s Rumour File this morning heard Keilor Downs College was in lockdown after a student tested positive to the virus, and Neil Mitchell confirmed the case.
Six students at Taylor Lakes Secondary College and one student at St Albans Secondary College are isolating after attending a class at Keilor Downs College.

Schools are just like footy clubs where there are lots of young fit people who won't know they even have the virus if they do and older officials interacting with them, the same havoc will happen in clubland and they know that. Their focus will be on trying to get people back to work and schools operating without major outbreaks and they are not going to add to that risk with full contact local footy in 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Official last night IF season goes ahead ZERO Salary Cap - and if any player payments for 2020 already made before today will be included in 2021 salary cap - whatever that will be - so many more questions still to be a asked - relegation, promotion, 2021 salary cap, crowds...........
Thanks Sandra sully. I told u that last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3AW’s Rumour File this morning heard Keilor Downs College was in lockdown after a student tested positive to the virus, and Neil Mitchell confirmed the case.
Six students at Taylor Lakes Secondary College and one student at St Albans Secondary College are isolating after attending a class at Keilor Downs College.

Schools are just like footy clubs where there are lots of young fit people who won't know they even have the virus and older officials interacting with them, the same havoc will happen in clubland and they know that. Their focus will be on trying to get people back to work and schools operating without major outbreaks and they are not going to add to that risk with full contact local footy in 8 weeks.
Lets see how it pans out before panicking and jumping to conclusions.
The important thing is, are either seriously ill or dead?

Its been shown worldwide that kids are not spreaders and in the rare instances that they do, the 'dose' spread is mostly very mild if anything at all. Generally the only time it gets serious is when someone showing pronounced symptoms is the spreader. For all the hullaballo over Cedar Meats, I don't think anyone needed to be hospitalised. It was just stock standard cold/flu that required a few days off work.

Also with the rate of spread in Australia at I think 1/2 R, the chances of a 'major outbreak' are tiny. Lets keep it in perspective instead of jumping at shadows every time someone gets the sniffles.

Lets see how it pans out before panicking and jumping to conclusions.
The important thing is, are either seriously ill or dead?

Its been shown worldwide that kids are not spreaders and in the rare instances that they do, the 'dose' spread is mostly very mild if anything at all. Generally the only time it gets serious is when someone showing pronounced symptoms is the spreader. For all the hullaballo over Cedar Meats, I don't think anyone needed to be hospitalised. It was just stock standard cold/flu that required a few days off work.

Also with the rate of spread in Australia at I think 1/2 R, the chances of a 'major outbreak' are tiny. Lets keep it in perspective instead of jumping at shadows every time someone gets the sniffles.

I hear you mate and I might even agree BUT it doesn't help us in clubland, you having an opinion and complaining about how politicians are overreacting and the laws they are making us follow does NOTHING for people running local footy clubs..

What point are you making?

Local footy club administrators have to operate within the laws passed down by the state government and whether we like it or not they have a different view to you. So why are you beating your head against the brick wall and wasting oxygen talking about s**t you can't change, why not focus on s**t you can change which is preparing for the reality of what that means for your local footy club.

No one is panicking or jumping to conclusions just dealing with the current reality unless you have been living under a rock the Victorian Government have been crystal clear and documented what the law is for us to have to follow whether we like it or not.

From 22 June, restrictions on sport and exercise will be further eased to include:

Indoor sports centres and venues can be opened with up to 20 people allowed per separate enclosed space, subject to the four square metre rule, with up to 10 people per group or activity
Indoor physical recreation (e.g. gyms, health clubs, class fitness studios) can be opened with up to 20 people allowed per separate enclosed space, subject to the four square metre rule, with up to 10 people per group or activity
Sport and exercise activities are only allowed if you can keep your distance (at least 1.5 metres apart) and they are not competitive
All indoor venues will need to abide by existing physical distancing requirements of one person per four square metres.

So I reckon you jump off Bigfooty and drop into Spring st and make your case there because no one in local footy or the AFL football world can fix what you are complaining about.

Sport and exercise activities are only allowed if you can keep your distance (at least 1.5 metres apart) and they are not competitive
Those rules are not intended to be permanent. The general plan is to relax rules on a 3 weekly basis.

I don't see why we need to plan for the whole season to be written off based on rules that are applicable for only a set period of time.

Those rules are not intended to be permanent. The general plan is to relax rules on a 3 weekly basis.

I don't see why we need to plan for the whole season to be written off based on rules that are applicable for only a set period of time.

Because kids go back to school and bang, we have a case which has caused 100 people to self isolate. Things change hourly so that is why you can't plan any further ahead than a couple of weeks.

It is also why the AFL have only released a 4 week fixture

Your still not following me Hooksy I might have to give up soon :)

Yes, that is the "Hope" so on your numbers that gets us to our next easing on July 13th (where you reckon as part of that easing it's still a chance they will remove all social distancing and allow contact sport), then 3 weeks for contact training and we kick off Round 1 on August 1st.

What for Hooksy? Whats the upside for the clubs? -$0 negative dollars, what's the upside for the players $0, what's the upside for the volunteers like medical/trainers that usually got paid but now can't be? the list goes on, help me understand what upside you are chasing? Or do you just miss watching local footy on a personal level?

Clubland officials hanging around in limbo is time wasted, more certainty for club officials would be welcomed so they could get on with building towards 2021 and no further risk of depleting their slim bank balances and available time by putting on a half baked season that will cost them money they can't afford and in turn, make them weaker in 2021.

If the future strength and survival of your local club are what you care about then you wouldn't be cheering on a 9 week 2020 season that starts in August? forcing clubs to try and go to the well of sponsors, benefactors, volunteers just to pay for 2020 to have to back up immediately and hit them up again for 2021 in these tough times. You clearly haven't been on the inside of running a premier footy club in the modern era Hooksy it's not just about having a kick with your mates anymore as much as we would all like it to be.

I just can't follow your logic?

Because kids go back to school and bang, we have a case which has caused 100 people to self isolate. Things change hourly so that is why you can't plan any further ahead than a couple of weeks.

It is also why the AFL have only released a 4 week fixture
Agree. And that's also why we shouldn't write off local footy now given changing circumstances.

My understanding is only 7 people are self isolating and after their tests come back (hopefully negative) in 24 hours then life will go back to normal for them.
Little pockets of outbreaks are always going to happen. Its how we respond that is important and it seems in this case it was jumped on very quickly. Its no different than in previous years. Clubs have always had virus's run through them since day dot. As have schools. As have work-places.

What for Hooksy? Whats the upside for the clubs? -$0 negative dollars, what's the upside for the players $0, what's the upside for the volunteers like medical/trainers that usually got paid but now can't be? the list goes on, help me understand what upside you are chasing? Or do you just miss watching local footy on a personal level?
Sure, here is the upside.
  • Mental health for everyone involved at local club level.
  • Getting kids off devices and back playing outside.
  • Community spirit and general well-being
  • Real chance we will lose kids especially, to AFL forever. Soccer has a target start date of June 26. Guaranteed that if AFL is cancelled for them, then some kids will play another sport instead. And they might like it !!!!!
  • You can't just take a year off and resume in 2021 as if everything is normal. Clubs will fold as participation levels when we resume will be lower.
  • Economic benefit to community as a whole
    • bakeries supplying bread
    • butchers supplying sausages
    • Cafe merchants, coffees, soft drinks etc
    • Sports suppliers, boots, footy's etc - to put it in perspective there were 420 teams in EDFL in 2018 which equates to over 8000 participants. Multiply that by $60 for a pair of boots (and that is ultra cheap), then that's almost $500000 taken out of economy just from EDFL alone. Probably equates to around 10-20 jobs for people.
    • Medical suppliers, tape, first aid kits etc
    • Alcohol suppliers
    • Council income from ground rent
    • increased foot traffic through different suburbs on game days which in turn increases revenue for stores
  • if no vaccine, then what learnings are we going to take from 2020 into 2021? Do we cancel 2021 as well?

Last edited:
  • Real chance we will lose kids especially, to AFL forever. Soccer has a target start date of June 26. Guaranteed that if AFL is cancelled for them, then some kids will play another sport instead. And they might like it !!!!!
  • You can't just take a year off and resume in 2021 as if everything is normal. Clubs will fold as participation levels when we resume will be lower.
    • Sports suppliers, boots, footy's etc
    • Alcohol suppliers
    • increased foot traffic through different suburbs on game days which in turn increases revenue for stores
  • if no vaccine, then what learnings are we going to take from 2020 into 2021? Do we cancel 2021 as well?
Unfortunately you won’t be able to sell sausages or beer outside.
All food and drink will only be allowed inside the club rooms.
so clubs won’t be buying anything from local business.

Agree. And that's also why we shouldn't write off local footy now given changing circumstances.

My understanding is only 7 people are self isolating and after their tests come back (hopefully negative) in 24 hours then life will go back to normal for them.
Little pockets of outbreaks are always going to happen. Its how we respond that is important and it seems in this case it was jumped on very quickly. Its no different than in previous years. Clubs have always had virus's run through them since day dot. As have schools. As have work-places.
Your not answering Hooksy why shouldn't we write off a 9 week season that will start in August if it got up? What's the reason for having a season? Who wins?

Stop debating about the virus, how often it spreads and how outbreaks do or don't work this isn't a medical forum it's a local footy forum focused on clubs.

What's your reasoning for having a 9 week season starting in August? I will help start the sentence for you and you can finish it off.

I think the virus is manageable and not as serious as the government is making out so they should ease the restrictions on July 13th to allow for contact sport and if they do that I reckon the clubs should jump on board for a 9 week season starting in August because it will be good for them by ...................................

Last edited:
    • Sports suppliers, boots, footy's etc
    • Alcohol suppliers
And I agree Hooksy. BTW, this is BigFooty and everyone is entitled to their opinion based on the information that is freely available. I don't think it is fair that the dooms-day preppers get all the air time and their opinion should not trump all others. Hooksey is also right to question why we would prepare for 2021 if we cant guarantee when the social distancing rules will be relaxed. If we should cancel the 2020 season because people are certain the CMO wont remove that rule, then how can we be sure it will be removed for cricket or 2021 footy. There is value in hope, otherwise lets all lock ourselves in the bathroom with a copy of the 2019 EDFL grand final. It brings tears to my eyes to see Abers get pipped at the post! Stay calm and stay safe everyone.

• Sports suppliers, boots, footy's etc - to put it in perspective there were 420 teams in EDFL in 2018 which equates to over 8000 participants. Multiply that by $60 for a pair of boots (and that is ultra cheap), then that's almost $500000 taken out of economy just from EDFL alone. Probably equates to around 10-20 jobs for people.
    • Alcohol suppliers
Come on Hoosky I love your spirit but a hard-nosed local footy club president has a few more urgent fish to fry than your list but I will do you the courtesy:

Mental Health- It could be argued that it will lift anxiety and stress levels for all of the officials and volunteers trying to run a part-year with all the financial and health stress it will cause. So disagree with you on that one.

Getting Kids off devices- No the job of a local footy club, parents need to carry the can on that one.

Community Spirit and Well Being- Really a double-up of point one I reckon getting the AFL live will help give the community enough of a footy fix without as much safety risk to the broader community. So disagree on this one.

Loss of Kids- This is an AFL Code level job not a local footy club fight. Disagree here.

Year off argument- The horse, kids parents, players and volunteers have bolted already on this one August start is the year gone anyway, Preseason Starts 8 weeks later for 2021. So disagree here.

Economics- Club presidents who are nearly all broke can't save the community economy that's a federal and state government thing. Disagree here.

Learning for 2021- Ahhh nope local footy club presidents are not in the business of being guinea pigs for learnings with coronavirus we have monkeys for that. Sorry disagree there.

Local footy club presidents are focussed on not running out of money year to year all roads lead to survival on a day to day basis and the motivation and management of volunteers that are rare as hen's teeth at senior level. Anything else is nice to have white noise.... unfortunately.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree, my friend, plus I have to run to a meeting to explain vaccinations to the Anti Vaxxers Association ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back