EDFL Premier Div 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your not answering Hooksy why shouldn't we write of a 9 week season that will start in August if it got up? What's the reason for having a season? Who wins?

Stop debating about the virus, how often it spreads and how outbreaks do or don't work this isn't a medical forum it's a local footy forum focused on clubs.

What's your reasoning for having a 9 week season starting in August? I will help start the sentence for you and you can finish it off.

I think the virus is manageable and not as serious as the government is making out so they should ease the restrictions on July 13th to allow for contact sport and if they do that I reckon the clubs should jump on board for a 9 week season starting in August because it will be good for them by ...................................
May be a 9 week season - not necessarily a 9 round season. There is scope to play mid-week twilight/night matches, especially with more daylight during September. Not saying this will happen but just something that I am sure has been considered as an outside the square idea.
But again 9 rounds is worst case scenario. We may be back mid July so could get 11 or even 12 rounds in, without even considering mid-week.

I agree that 8 or less rounds and it starts to become problematic.

Note: I have listed the benefits. Imagine a sports store like SIMS in Puckle St. How much do you think they rely on footy boots sales every winter to keep them afloat? Local footy is more than just the footy itself.

Probably spent enough time debating. You make some good points. Will agree to disagree.

And I agree Hooksy. BTW, this is BigFooty and everyone is entitled to their opinion based on the information that is freely available. I don't think it is fair that the dooms-day preppers get all the air time and their opinion should not trump all others. Hooksey is also right to question why we would prepare for 2021 if we cant guarantee when the social distancing rules will be relaxed. If we should cancel the 2020 season because people are certain the CMO wont remove that rule, then how can we be sure it will be removed for cricket or 2021 footy. There is value in hope, otherwise lets all lock ourselves in the bathroom with a copy of the 2019 EDFL grand final. It brings tears to my eyes to see Abers get pipped at the post! Stay calm and stay safe everyone.

That is the most illogical rambling Colonel ahhh it's getting funny...

So your thinking (I am using that word liberally here) goes because logic says that they won't relax the social distancing rules in 8 weeks to allow a 2020 shortened season that it automatically follows that we should just give up on 2021 because if they can't ease restrictions in 8 weeks then they definitely won't in the next 9 months to allow contact games in 2021.... mmmmm Interesting logic their Colonel you've really outsmarted us with that sleight of hand.

Come on who's doomsday prepping now Colonel.

It is what it is, we move on hope for the best and prepare for a strong full season in 2021 and have a great year trying to win a flag.

Wait no, let's not do that unless they can start a 2020 season in 8 weeks if not it's not worth it, let's give up.... this is loony land stuff......

P.S Hooksy with mates like Colonel backing up your argument with this rolled gold stuff who needs enemies :))

May be a 9 week season - not necessarily a 9 round season. There is scope to play mid-week twilight/night matches, especially with more daylight during September. Not saying this will happen but just something that I am sure has been considered as an outside the square idea.
But again 9 rounds is worst case scenario. We may be back mid July so could get 11 or even 12 rounds in, without even considering mid-week.

I agree that 8 or less rounds and it starts to become problematic.

Note: I have listed the benefits. Imagine a sports store like SIMS in Puckle St. How much do you think they rely on footy boots sales every winter to keep them afloat? Local footy is more than just the footy itself.

Probably spent enough time debating. You make some good points. Will agree to disagree.
I hear you Hooksy and anything is possible but these out of the box ideas don't work in a local footy world where organising all this stuff mid-week, where people have jobs/ lives etc.. outside footy, where people are trying to take every hour they can get at work for $ it's just not feasible. At the professional level where the players and officials are employed fulltime etc.. then those out of the box fixture ideas etc can work but not local in my view.

Good debate..

That is the most illogical rambling Colonel ahhh it's getting funny...

So your thinking (I am using that word liberally here) goes because logic says that they won't relax the social distancing rules in 8 weeks to allow a 2020 shortened season that it automatically follows that we should just give up on 2021 because if they can't ease restrictions in 8 weeks then they definitely won't in the next 9 months to allow contact games in 2021.... mmmmm Interesting logic their Colonel you've really outsmarted us with that sleight of hand.

Come on who's doomsday prepping now Colonel.

It is what it is, we move on hope for the best and prepare for a strong full season in 2021 and have a great year trying to win a flag.

Wait no, let's not do that unless they can start a 2020 season in 8 weeks if not it's not worth it, let's give up.... this is loony land stuff......

P.S Hooksy with mates like Colonel backing up your argument with this rolled gold stuff who needs enemies :))
You seem to be an expert Cheapseat, I cant imagine why you're wasting your time on this forum. Shouldn't you be running the Victorian health system. Please tell us exactly what the circumstance will be that will allow community sport to return.

😂 you make a great point Oldbutwise it never dawned on me today that my job was to make you feel more positive.... so here is a socially distant big hug from me 🤗 come on, come here don’t be shy...

Psst everyone I’m about to have a quick motivational chat to Oldbutwise in private we don’t want to upset him any further with the reality of things at the moment so just bare with me team...

Hey Oldbutwise you were right I took a long hot bath and contemplated your wisdom and I had to suck it up let’s look for the upside, hunt for that silver lining, glass half full, chin up, let’s get em tiger, if not now when, if not me who? we can do this let’s get out there with a positive attitude and good things will happen.

I feel better already Oldbutwise I reckon the coronavirus thing is overcooked, my gut says Dan Andrews is going to get rid of this social distancing and quarantine stuff in the next few weeks I can feel it in my bones then Boom off we go a bump in the road 2020 will be a cracker.🤩🥳

Sweet dreams Oldbutwise let me tuck you in tight, don’t worry I will leave the light on and I won’t shut the door totally and remember to put your teeth in the glass of water otherwise the tooth fairy might not visit .... nighty night
Seriously WTF is your problem.

You seem to be an expert Cheapseat, I cant imagine why you're wasting your time on this forum. Shouldn't you be running the Victorian health system. Please tell us exactly what the circumstance will be that will allow community sport to return.

Another inane post what are you talking about I think Hooksy's your medical man...

I have no idea what the circumstance would be for the Chief Health Officer to allow contact sport never said I did?

But like any reasonable logical person could probably guess, whatever that is is unlikely to happen in the next 8 weeks so we can have a 2020 season.

What's not clear about that?

It's not rocket science Dan Andrews has just banned workers from going into their place of work today and you reckon his primed to allow contact sport in 8 weeks. Just calling the landscape as it is, and you're getting upset at the messenger mate.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has banned white-collar workers from returning to their offices and threatened fines for any boss who ignores the rules.

He has also urged workers to report any boss who prevents them from working at home.

Mr Andrews said that police will be checking offices to make sure employers do not breach the health order which lasts until the end of June.

In further news:

Cricket Australia boss Kevin Roberts has downplayed the prospect of the Twenty20 World Cup going ahead in 2020, saying the October-November schedule was under "very high risk" due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"Obviously, we’ve been hopeful all along that it could be staged in October-November but you would have to say there is a very high risk about the prospect of that happening," Roberts told reporters in a video call on Friday.

"In the event that that doesn’t happen, there are potential windows in the February-March period, October-November the following year.

Last edited:
Another inane post what are you talking about I think Hooksy's your medical man...

I have no idea what the circumstance would be for the Chief Health Officer to allow contact sport never said I did?

But like any reasonable logical person could probably guess, whatever that is is unlikely to happen in the next 8 weeks so we can have a 2020 season.

It's not rocket science Dan Andrews has just banned workers from going into their place of work today and you reckon his primed to allow contact sport in 8 weeks. Just calling the landscape as it is, and you're getting upset at the messenger mate.

In further news:

Cricket Australia boss Kevin Roberts has downplayed the prospect of the Twenty20 World Cup going ahead in 2020, saying the October-November schedule was under "very high risk" due to the coronavirus pandemic.

"Obviously, we’ve been hopeful all along that it could be staged in October-November but you would have to say there is a very high risk about the prospect of that happening," Roberts told reporters in a video call on Friday.

"In the event that that doesn’t happen, there are potential windows in the February-March period, October-November the following year.
That's right, none of us know exactly what the circumstances are, even you on your soap box. As I've said before, it is about hope. Hope that things will get better and whilst the government has allowed a cautious return to training, this should be what we do. We'd be lost without hope. But then you'd love us all to be hysterical fear mongers going to bed thinking, well, Cheapseat said give up, so we should, and oh, he doesn't know if cricket could start either, so lets give up hope on that one too. Nobody is saying we should break the CMOs rules, we are saying that we'd like to think there is hope for a return to community footy and cricket. I accept footy may be cancelled, but I hope it is not and I hope cricket is not either.

That's right, none of us know exactly what the circumstances are, even you on your soap box. As I've said before, it is about hope. Hope that things will get better and whilst the government has allowed a cautious return to training, this should be what we do. We'd be lost without hope. But then you'd love us all to be hysterical fear mongers going to bed thinking, well, Cheapseat said give up, so we should, and oh, he doesn't know if cricket could start either, so lets give up hope on that one too. Nobody is saying we should break the CMOs rules, we are saying that we'd like to think there is hope for a return to community footy and cricket. I accept footy may be cancelled, but I hope it is not and I hope cricket is not either.

I don't know what soapbox you're talking about because the only box I am on is the fact box, they aren't fun facts but they are facts you just don't like what they say as you want to believe in hope, which is your choice.

Colonel I wish we were playing footy too and sorry to be the one to deliver you the reality but most clubs don't want to come back for a 9 week season as it will hurt them now and for 2021. The fact that you are hoping for something that most insider local footy club officials are not wanting is your prerogative and all power to you.

All good Colonel lets agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Colonel I wish we were playing footy too and sorry to be the one to deliver you the reality but most clubs don't want to come back for a 9 week season as it will hurt them now and for 2021. The fact that you are hoping for something that most insider local footy club officials are not wanting is your prerogative and all power to you.

All good Colonel lets agree to disagree.
Dr Peter Bruekner said on SEN today that it is important the government eases restrictions around community sport. He said that Transmission is caused by sustained contact and you are more likely to get it sitting at a bus stop or next to somebody in a crowded audience not by bumping or tackling someone on a footy field. I’ll be taking the medical advice from a medical professional and not from a pessimist driving his agenda. Can you inform us of what football club you are president of?

Dr Peter Bruekner said on SEN today that it is important the government eases restrictions around community sport. He said that Transmission is caused by sustained contact and you are more likely to get it sitting at a bus stop or next to somebody in a crowded audience not by bumping or tackling someone on a footy field. I’ll be taking the medical advice from a medical professional and not from a pessimist driving his agenda. Can you inform us of what football club you are president of?
Come on no mate I am not a president just a follower of local footy.

You are missing the point too, that's great that the good Dr has an opinion and I hope he gets a meeting with The CHO or Andrews and tries to change their mind as it doesn't matter what he thinks unless the laws change? You guys just don't get it...

Also, struggling clubs are beyond worrying about how the virus does or doesn't spread etc.. they are nearly broke and cannot run a 2020 part season without proper revenues it doesn't matter what Dr Bruekner says or anyone else about the virus it's just the hard facts on the ground.

You guys keep coming at this from the virus angle, those conversations need to be directed at the lawmakers not local footy administrators they don't make the laws.

Why do you think those 3 country leagues called the season off? Do you reckon they did it off their own bat or pressure from the member clubs to say pull the pin we can't manage it?

Most clubs are making their feelings known loud and clear behind the scenes to their respective leagues but no metro league wants to pull the pin first they are all waiting for the state government to do the dirty work for them so people like you don't burn them at the stake and they can blame the laws. Likewise, plenty of clubs have decided they are not going to play but don't want to be the ones to come out and say it so they don't get strung up for not trying they all want to fall behind the league's decision.

You guys are tone-deaf to the real workers at local footy clubs, the people who have to raise the money, organise the volunteers etc.. not wanting the shortened 2020 year.

Last edited:
Come on no mate I am not a president just a follower of local footy.

You are missing the point too, that's great that the good Dr has an opinion and I hope he gets a meeting with The CHO or Andrews and tries to change their mind as it doesn't matter what he thinks unless the laws change? You guys just don't get it...

Also, struggling clubs are beyond worrying about how the virus does or doesn't spread etc.. they are nearly broke and cannot run a 2020 part season with proper revenues it doesn't matter what Dr Bruekner says or anyone else about the virus it's just the hard facts on the ground.

You guys keep coming at this from the virus angle, those conversations need to be directed at the lawmakers not local footy administrators they don't make the laws.

Why do you think those 3 country leagues called the season off? Do you reckon they did it off their own bat or pressure from the member clubs to say pull the pin we can't manage it?

Most clubs are making their feelings known loud and clear behind the scenes to their respective leagues but no metro league wants to pull the pin first they are all waiting for the state government to do the dirty work for them so people like you don't burn them at the stake and they can blame the laws. Likewise, plenty of clubs have decided they are not going to play but don't want to be the ones to come out and say it so they don't get strung up for not trying they all want to fall behind the league's decision.

You guys are tone-deaf to the real workers at local footy clubs, the people who have to raise the money, organise the volunteers etc.. not wanting the shortened 2020 year.

This is a reason to try and find a way rather than throw the hands up. We all have a responsibility to the community, all lives matter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a reason to try and find a way rather than throw the hands up. We all have a responsibility to the community, all lives matter.

I hear you mate but that’s playing out across society in all walks of life not just local footy.

Club presidents and boards have a responsibility to their members and to be custodians of their shared organisation and one of the core ones is to stay solvent.

How do you reckon the next AGM or EGM would go if the board rocked up and presented a set of financials that seen them owing Circa $50k in aged payables and no prospect of digging themselves out of the hole. Then on further inquiry from concerned members they reveal they could have avoided that by not participating in 2020 and could have had $20-30k in the bank to kick off what will be a challenging 2021.

How do you reckon the members would react? You reckon they would say that’s ok we are glad you tried nothing ventured nothing gained.? Or do you think they might ask what the board was trying to achieve? And for who’s benefit?

God forbid you are one of those poor souls at local footy clubs that they come to when they are in the s**t looking for you to help tip in $ to bail them out or your a junior parent that finds their kids fees doubling for the next 5 years... Because your board recklessly pursued a flawed attempt to run a shortened 2020 without the revenues to support it. Where will you blokes be when the club does the rounds looking for fundraising help to make up for the error, there with bells on I’m sure ....

Then I suggest you don’t give up, give your local footy club president a bell and offer to tip in or find the shortfall $ dollars if the 9 week season runs and your club puts its hand up to play for the benefit of the community.

Last edited:
M
Come on Hoosky I love your spirit but a hard-nosed local footy club president has a few more urgent fish to fry than your list but I will do you the courtesy:

Mental Health- It could be argued that it will lift anxiety and stress levels for all of the officials and volunteers trying to run a part-year with all the financial and health stress it will cause. So disagree with you on that one.

Getting Kids off devices- No the job of a local footy club, parents need to carry the can on that one.

Community Spirit and Well Being- Really a double-up of point one I reckon getting the AFL live will help give the community enough of a footy fix without as much safety risk to the broader community. So disagree on this one.

Loss of Kids- This is an AFL Code level job not a local footy club fight. Disagree here.

Year off argument- The horse, kids parents, players and volunteers have bolted already on this one August start is the year gone anyway, Preseason Starts 8 weeks later for 2021. So disagree here.

Economics- Club presidents who are nearly all broke can't save the community economy that's a federal and state government thing. Disagree here.

Learning for 2021- Ahhh nope local footy club presidents are not in the business of being guinea pigs for learnings with coronavirus we have monkeys for that. Sorry disagree there.

Local footy club presidents are focussed on not running out of money year to year all roads lead to survival on a day to day basis and the motivation and management of volunteers that are rare as hen's teeth at senior level. Anything else is nice to have white noise.... unfortunately.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree, my friend, plus I have to run to a meeting to explain vaccinations to the Anti Vaxxers Association ...
Mr negative

Come on Oldbutwise debate, say something logical form an opinion or bow out... You want to throw junk over the fence and as soon as someone challenges you you just "give up" ?
Challenges ? What ? What is wrong with you ? I’m talking about footy starting again not sure what you are on about but just because you write endless paragraphs of rubbish doesn’t make you right. I hear the players that want to play the coaches that want to Coach If you don’t want footy to start that’s ok it’s your opinion but this is a footy site for people that want to want footy. You go off and live in your plastic bubble and hopefully in 10 years they might have a vaccine for Covid and u can come out. All that I’ve heard is we can’t afford to pay players then it’s we won’t have sponsors then the season is too short now it’s Covid officers the negativity never ends. People need to start living again and football plays a massive role in that. People need to start looking for ways to make it possible not writing endless paragraphs about why it can’t, it won’t be perfect but anything is better than nothing. Negativity takes a lot more effort. Spent enough time responding to you Time to move on

Challenges ? What ? What is wrong with you ? I’m talking about footy starting again not sure what you are on about but just because you write endless paragraphs of rubbish doesn’t make you right. I hear the players that want to play the coaches that want to Coach If you don’t want footy to start that’s ok it’s your opinion but this is a footy site for people that want to want footy. You go off and live in your plastic bubble and hopefully in 10 years they might have a vaccine for Covid and u can come out. All that I’ve heard is we can’t afford to pay players then it’s we won’t have sponsors then the season is too short now it’s Covid officers the negativity never ends. People need to start living again and football plays a massive role in that. People need to start looking for ways to make it possible not writing endless paragraphs about why it can’t, it won’t be perfect but anything is better than nothing. Negativity takes a lot more effort. Spent enough time responding to you Time to move on

I’ve spent time I won’t get back reading the crap

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has banned white-collar workers from returning to their offices and threatened fines for any boss who ignores the rules.

He has also urged workers to report any boss who prevents them from working at home.

Mr Andrews said that police will be checking offices to make sure employers do not breach the health order which lasts until the end of June.

In further news:

It’s not new, he said it a week ago and reinforced it today with an added deterrent of fines.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Meanwhile in WA they have been approved for full training of contact sports and eased gathering restrictions to 100 with exemptions of 300 if they can be segregated. Your move Dan!

Just a question..

So schools in Keilor & Taylor’s Lakes areas are affected by coronavirus. So would this be a concern for parents of kids who were scheduled to play teams like Keilor, Taylor’s Lakes, East Keilor, Hillside etc. Or do they trust the system??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back