EDFL Premier Div 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Councils charge fees all year round, and are paid all year round irrespective of cricket /footy season they annualise the costs so as to not over burden the clubs. Training tops may be paid by sponsors if clubs have been able to get the coin. Clubs order the merchandise based on a season going ahead. The season was postponed on March 23rd well and truly after all Merchandise was ordered!
Edfl have minimum orders on shorts and socks so they are ordered and paid for irrespective of orders
Jumpers are not owned by the club

New Footballs are purchased

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Moonee valley council waiver all their fees for winter sports in 2020 and for the next 3 years clubs will only have to pay 50%. Not sure what other councils have done.

Councils charge fees all year round, and are paid all year round irrespective of cricket /footy season they annualise the costs so as to not over burden the clubs. Training tops may be paid by sponsors if clubs have been able to get the coin. Clubs order the merchandise based on a season going ahead. The season was postponed on March 23rd well and truly after all Merchandise was ordered!
Edfl have minimum orders on shorts and socks so they are ordered and paid for irrespective of orders
Jumpers are not owned by the club

New Footballs are purchased

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ginger this has nothing at all to do with junior registration fees.
-It’s already been made public that councils are waiving fees.
-Merchandise can be sold next year and the club will just have to carry that expense till they are sold. Some clubs moving to online orders and sone only order when once prepaid.
-Shorts and socks are usually paid in advance by parents and once again can be used in season 2021
-Footballs can be used in season 2021

So to me the only expense for a parent prior to this covid might be a training top which I assume is around $20-30 at best. With sponsor putting in might be less. I think a fee of $50 might be reasonable which covers the training top and any further money can go towards the club to help out during difficult times. But I guess for parents with multiple kids this could be an issue depending on there situation. But at request a full refund (minus the training top) should be refunded.
Keep in mind training tops could also be used for season 2021 but if parents have to buy a new one next season it’s not the end of the world.

If ABERS are taking more than $50 per parent it’s very poor management and purely due to paying players for 2020 upfront on the basis they were going to use junior membership money. That’s totally poor management and been an issue with that club in the past and they haven’t learnt. And now to tell parents lies is showing poor integrity and respect for these parents..👎👎

-Merchandise can be sold next year and the club will just have to carry that expense till they are sold. Some clubs moving to online orders and sone only order when once prepaid.
-Shorts and socks are usually paid in advance by parents and once again can be used in season 2021

So to me the only expense for a parent prior to this covid might be a training top which I assume is around $20-30 at best. With sponsor putting in might be less. I think a fee of $50 might be reasonable which covers the training top and any further money can go towards the club to help out during difficult times. But I guess for parents with multiple kids this could be an issue depending on there situation. But at request a full refund (minus the training top) should be refunded.
Keep in mind training tops could also be used for season 2021 but if parents have to buy a new one next season it’s not the end of the world.

If ABERS are taking more than $50 per parent it’s very poor management and purely due to paying players for 2020 upfront on the basis they were going to use junior membership money. That’s totally poor management and been an issue with that club in the past and they haven’t learnt. And now to tell parents lies is showing poor integrity and respect for these parents..👎👎

There have also been specific covid related community sports grants to assist clubs. If a club is using junior fees to fund a senior program then they need to have a good look at themselves. Junior sport should be as low in cost as possible to encourage more kids to get off their Playstations, not be seen as a cash cow to allow seniors to win flags

There have also been specific covid related community sports grants to assist clubs. If a club is using junior fees to fund a senior program then they need to have a good look at themselves. Junior sport should be as low in cost as possible to encourage more kids to get off their Playstations, not be seen as a cash cow to allow seniors to win flags

Most will agree a good senior program is very important for a club as a whole which ultimately transfers down to the junior program in a big way. However there needs to be a set amount and that cash is accountable and transparent to the junior members. A good club will have seniors put back into the juniors as well as encouraging them to come down on a Saturday. But a high % of membership is not acceptable as it needs to be a balance and not all juniors have a tie to seniors with a small % of them actually heading to other clubs on a Saturday arvo or AFL. At least offer it back and let parents decide as some parents might still be working and happy to chip in whilst others are doing it tough during covid.

been an issue with Abers in the past how so Turbo ? Wouldn’t have thought any parent or member at Abers could care less what you think or what you think of their club but the fact they have the most junior numbers, most junior teams, stacks of junior flags and a successful Senior club winnings flags across all 3 teams in recent years suggests they are doing plenty right!
I would suggest most people that can afford to will roll over their 2020 subs/memberships and support the club they love.

Will be interesting to see which clubs adapt the quickest to the new salary cap of $100k. Great for clubs to have a sustainable salary cap to work with and return the balance back to the clubs in terms of payments. A strong club culture will never be more important going forward, a coach playing groups believe in and a willingness from players to maintain training standards for far less money. Hoping this bridges the gap in Premier but hard to see how Keilor, Abers & Strathmore won’t only widen the gap with such great depth and youth in Reserves & 19’s. Expecting Pascoe Vale to suffer the most, very good list but how many there for the love of playing and not the cash. Don’t have the depth or much coming through. I don’t know what the answer is or how it’s possible but I really hope AFL VIC and EDFL can police the cap and keep it fair. Clubs will no doubt push the envelope.

Will be interesting to see which clubs adapt the quickest to the new salary cap of $100k. Great for clubs to have a sustainable salary cap to work with and return the balance back to the clubs in terms of payments. A strong club culture will never be more important going forward, a coach playing groups believe in and a willingness from players to maintain training standards for far less money. Hoping this bridges the gap in Premier but hard to see how Keilor, Abers & Strathmore won’t only widen the gap with such great depth and youth in Reserves & 19’s. Expecting Pascoe Vale to suffer the most, very good list but how many there for the love of playing and not the cash. Don’t have the depth or much coming through. I don’t know what the answer is or how it’s possible but I really hope AFL VIC and EDFL can police the cap and keep it fair. Clubs will no doubt push the envelope.

Hey mate, you have a short memory as ABERS always paying high dollars and won some recent flags paying the most coin ive ever seen in local footy. Also couldn’t pay blokes at the end of the year a few years back with a few then moving on to other leagues as got sick of waiting to be paid as per contract.

So if Abers were such a well run club how come Pacco has the cash in the bank to refund junior regos and Abers can only refund 60% where is the cash Abers and financial management.

Also Abers would collect $150k to $200k more junior rego fees per year and the most in the competition and have been paying way more than any other club for years and their success shows it.

Yes they have a junior program with big numbers and a decent amount of 1 pointers but some getting on a bit now. The new cap could suit them in part but they may also be the ones to pay outside the cap as they have history..

On your comment regarding Pacco he are some facts:

Paco have 10 local 1 point kids in their best 22 and 2 longtime Hadfield paco cousins. So let’s say that’s 12..

Pacco also equal youngest list in 2019

Get the research right, low paying club as they have always lacked the cash of the elite clubs.

Look at the rego fees they charge compared to the top 4 clubs it’s $200 less per kid.

*How many local kids do Abers have in best 22? More than Pacco??
Look forward to your research and response..

Regards as always
Turbo.

Oldie but a Goodie from Ruben James 2016 re Abers local v outside talent in past GF sides. :think: That's a grassroots success story playing for the jumper right there.... UNITEDFELDIE

CULTURE PLEASE.... You couldn't drive within 2km of Clifton Park without an umbrella from the rain $$ and still can't I think I can see Nick Meese in there somewhere, why on earth would a legend of West Preston his local club come to Abers, for the Jumper? 🤣

Tom Hislop (NO)

Nicholas Cattapan (??)
Courtney Johns (NO)

Jess Rush (??)
Lance Oswald (NO)

Jack Mcnamara (NO)
Kyle Reimers (NO)

Mark Lynch (NO)

Joshua Cubillo (NO)

Lachlan Langwell (YES)

Wayne Patak (NO)
Mark Blake (NO)

Joshua Toy (YES) VFL aligned

Daniel Thompson (YES)

Rhys Moylan (YES)

Tobias Hickmott (YES)

Anthony Prestia (YES)

Adam El Houli (NO)

Luke Davis (NO)
Robbie Fox (NO)

Ryan Allan (NO)

Zach Hislop (NO)

2014 GF team 6, Cattapan and Rush not sure so lets say yes = 8

Daniel Castellano (yes)
Jacob Hislop (no)

Adam El Houli (no)

Courtney Johns (no)

Ryan Allan (no)

Rhys Moylan (yes)
Daniel Mangan (yes)

Nicholas Cattapan (yes)

Anthony Tipungwuti (no) vfl aligned

Jess Rush (??)

Wayne Patak (no)

Joshua Toy (yes) vfl aligned

Zach Hislop (no)

Zachary O'Brien (no)

Tom Hislop (no)

Joshua Cubillo (no)

Robbie Fox (no)
Xavier Norden (??)

Brayden Norris (??)

Mal Michael (no)
David Fahey (yes) vfl aligned (left to Willy)
Daniel Connors (no)

2013 GF team 6, rush, nordon, norris (not sure so say 9)

Last edited:
I reckon a few of the key power players around this push to play fiasco and junior rego refunds (or lack of) could do well to take this test:

Hey mate, you have a short memory as ABERS always paying high dollars and won some recent flags paying the most coin ive ever seen in local footy. Also couldn’t pay blokes at the end of the year a few years back with a few then moving on to other leagues as got sick of waiting to be paid as per contract.

So if Abers were such a well run club how come Pacco has the cash in the bank to refund junior regos and Abers can only refund 60% where is the cash Abers and financial management.

Also Abers would collect $150k to $200k more junior rego fees per year and the most in the competition and have been paying way more than any other club for years and their success shows it.

Yes they have a junior program with big numbers and a decent amount of 1 pointers but some getting on a bit now. The new cap could suit them in part but they may also be the ones to pay outside the cap as they have history..

On your comment regarding Pacco he are some facts:

Paco have 10 local 1 point kids in their best 22 and 2 longtime Hadfield paco cousins. So let’s say that’s 12..

Pacco also equal youngest list in 2019

Get the research right, low paying club as they have always lacked the cash of the elite clubs.

Look at the rego fees they charge compared to the top 4 clubs it’s $200 less per kid.

*How many local kids do Abers have in best 22? More than Pacco??
Look forward to your research and response..

Regards as always
Turbo.

Abers had 14 homegrowns play in the Premier Grand Final last season, and not sure if that’s more than you claim in Pacco’s best 22 but there is a big gap in quality of those homegrowns either way. Reserves won the flag, under 19’s won the flag. Regardless of what you think of their membership policy what I’m saying is no one will leave, the only ones complaining are outside the club. Abers have paid the most coin over the years no arguments with that but the players they pay also stay for long periods of time and have helped them WIN FLAGS.
Entitled to your opinion re: Pacco remaining a finals contender, I disageee. Time will tell.

I’m in no way, shape or form an Aberfeldie fan either, just don’t understand why so many people outside the club are up in arms over what they do with the memberships for 2020. Doubt it matters what % they offer on refund as none of them will ask for it.

And for the record I think my club EDS will struggle with the salary cap as well, they just didn’t play finals last season like Pacco did.

Abers had 14 homegrowns play in the Premier Grand Final last season, and not sure if that’s more than you claim in Pacco’s best 22 but there is a big gap in quality of those homegrowns either way. Reserves won the flag, under 19’s won the flag. Regardless of what you think of their membership policy what I’m saying is no one will leave, the only ones complaining are outside the club. Abers have paid the most coin over the years no arguments with that but the players they pay also stay for long periods of time and have helped them WIN FLAGS.
Entitled to your opinion re: Pacco remaining a finals contender, I disageee. Time will tell.

I’m in no way, shape or form an Aberfeldie fan either, just don’t understand why so many people outside the club are up in arms over what they do with the memberships for 2020. Doubt it matters what % they offer on refund as none of them will ask for it.

And for the record I think my club EDS will struggle with the salary cap as well, they just didn’t play finals last season like Pacco did.
Think it was only 12 players from last years grand final team. But there are probably 6-7 that have been there for 5+ years so that’s loyalty to the club. Yes they get good money to play but I’m sure other comps have offered more but they have stayed.

Abers are the only club in EDFL history to be caught over the salary cap. Take the bias rose coloured glasses off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oldie but a Goodie from Ruben James 2016 re Abers local v outside talent in past GF sides. :think: That's a grassroots success story playing for the jumper right there.... UNITEDFELDIE

CULTURE PLEASE.... You couldn't drive within 2km of Clifton Park without an umbrella from the rain $$ and still can't I think I can see Nick Meese in there somewhere, why on earth would a legend of West Preston his local club come to Abers, for the Jumper? 🤣

Tom Hislop (NO)

Nicholas Cattapan (??)
Courtney Johns (NO)

Jess Rush (??)
Lance Oswald (NO)

Jack Mcnamara (NO)
Kyle Reimers (NO)

Mark Lynch (NO)

Joshua Cubillo (NO)

Lachlan Langwell (YES)

Wayne Patak (NO)
Mark Blake (NO)

Joshua Toy (YES) VFL aligned

Daniel Thompson (YES)

Rhys Moylan (YES)

Tobias Hickmott (YES)

Anthony Prestia (YES)

Adam El Houli (NO)

Luke Davis (NO)
Robbie Fox (NO)

Ryan Allan (NO)

Zach Hislop (NO)

2014 GF team 6, Cattapan and Rush not sure so lets say yes = 8

Daniel Castellano (yes)
Jacob Hislop (no)

Adam El Houli (no)

Courtney Johns (no)

Ryan Allan (no)

Rhys Moylan (yes)
Daniel Mangan (yes)

Nicholas Cattapan (yes)

Anthony Tipungwuti (no) vfl aligned

Jess Rush (??)

Wayne Patak (no)

Joshua Toy (yes) vfl aligned

Zach Hislop (no)

Zachary O'Brien (no)

Tom Hislop (no)

Joshua Cubillo (no)

Robbie Fox (no)
Xavier Norden (??)

Brayden Norris (??)

Mal Michael (no)
David Fahey (yes) vfl aligned (left to Willy)
Daniel Connors (no)

2013 GF team 6, rush, nordon, norris (not sure so say 9)

Some great players on that list. Get down and watch next year. Excellent footy to watch.

"There have been very few events that have stopped sport in their tracks like COVID-19. Sport has always brought the community together where they have a shared passion and purpose, a sense of belonging.

This has been taken away during this pandemic. We have seen uncertainty around the commencement of training and play, how to maintain fitness and skills and, perhaps most importantly, we have seen uncertainty around how to keep connection amongst players, members and supporters.

In this *special* SPORTS AND COMMUNITY CLUB EDITION of Monday Night Live Lance will be sitting down with Daniel Nolan of Wallan Football Club to have a real and raw discussion on
- the IMPACT Covid has had mentally and physically on sports and community clubs,
- how we can find ways to continue to CONNECT AND SUPPORT players, members and their communities and
- how YOU and YOUR CLUB COMMUNITY can access the latest LMLY Sports and Community Club 'Lifetime of Wellbeing' program FREE
*Don't miss this very special Monday Night Live*"

i do agree. I can’t see why the issue with Aberfeldie is in regards to their subs for juniors. Parents have the choice. Fees aren’t set by a central footy body, anyclub obviously charge what they believe is a fair price. Abers for whatever reasons can charge and refund accordingly. Parents will take it or leave it.
on another note, can you clarify what the salary cap will be across the three divs next year. I’ve missed it exactly. I’ve been isolating...cheers

i do agree. I can’t see why the issue with Aberfeldie is in regards to their subs for juniors. Parents have the choice. Fees aren’t set by a central footy body, anyclub obviously charge what they believe is a fair price. Abers for whatever reasons can charge and refund accordingly. Parents will take it or leave it.
on another note, can you clarify what the salary cap will be across the three divs next year. I’ve missed it exactly. I’ve been isolating...cheers
If I read it correctly someone mentioned the parents at Abers will get only 60% of there fees back and that’s only upon request.

Some great players on that list. Get down and watch next year. Excellent footy to watch.
Your right Turnover they were very good some even great local footy players it was a pleasure to watch.

Sadly if local clubs don't cheat then sides like that won't bless our local footy fields again, the cream of the crop will stay in the VFL and try and milk the best out of their bodies at that level where the salary cap is $380K going $350K in 2021 as it stands now with a requirement for VFL clubs to spend 90% of the cap.

So a VFL club will be able to pay blokes nearly 4 times (400%) more to play VFL footy, and then the Ammo's will take the next bracket down as their system is set up to reward players through careers and networks and the number one thing the elite local clubs had in the EFL (some had pokies) and EDFL was bigger coin $ so the salary cap changes will disproportionately affect elite local competitions.

At $100K a year cap a team has $5,555 a game to spend or $252 per player and in practice, the clubs have learnt to set their player portfolio up to spend a bit less to make sure things don't get too tight like it did for Douttas a couple of years ago where they asked players to play for nothing towards the end to come under the cap, so $90K will likely be the target for $5000 a game or $227 per player.

Now if you want to pay your top 5 players say $500 a game ($2,500) the other 17 players average goes to $147 per game.

So let's get fair dinkum here the below non-ex junior blokes will they play for this or will they retire, work, go VFL, Ammos or to a local club that finds a way :moneybag:?

Galea (Came into the EDFL system on $2.5K a game)
Messe (Same)
and the 20 other legit elites?

If these blokes are running around in the EDFL and they aren't an ex Junior we all know what's happening if we didn't already.

We might have just had the last elite era of EDFL 2010 to 2020 may have been the best we see unless the caps change and level up to the VFL.

Last edited:
Your right Turnover they were very good some even great local footy players it was a pleasure to watch.

Sadly if local clubs don't cheat then sides like that won't bless our local footy fields again, the cream of the crop will stay in the VFL and try and milk the best out of their bodies at that level where the salary cap is $380K going $350K in 2021 as it stands now with a requirement for VFL clubs to spend 90% of the cap.

So a VFL club will be able to pay blokes nearly 4 times (400%) more to play VFL footy, and then the Ammo's will take the next bracket down as their system is set up to reward players through careers and networks and the number one thing the elite local clubs had in the EFL (some had pokies) and EDFL was bigger coin $ so their salary cap changes will disproportionately affect elite local competitions.

At $100K a year cap a team has $5,555 a game to spend or $252 per player and in practice, the clubs have learnt to set their player portfolio up to spend a bit less to make sure things don't get too tight like it did for Douttas a couple of years ago where they asked players to play for nothing towards the end to come under the cap, so $90K will likely be the target for $5000 a game or $227 per player.

Now if you want to pay your top 5 players say $500 a game ($2,500) the other 17 players average goes to $147 per game.

So let's get fair dinkum here the below non-ex junior blokes will they play for this or will they retire, work, go VFL, Ammos or to a local club that finds a way :moneybag:?

Messe (Same)

If these blokes are running around in the EDFL and they aren't an ex Junior we all know what's happening if we didn't already.

We might have just had the last elite era of EDFL 2010 to 2020 may have been the best we see unless the caps change and level up to the VFL.
Some terrific points here . Interestingly , we as a competition do not have to accept the level that AFL Vic suggest we play at .
Its all in the hands of the competition and the clubs , if they want to stand up for a change .
Our destiny will be governed by our own decisions .

i do agree. I can’t see why the issue with Aberfeldie is in regards to their subs for juniors. Parents have a choice. Fees aren’t set by a central footy body, anyclub obviously charge what they believe is a fair price. Abers for whatever reasons can charge and refund accordingly. Parents will take it or leave it.
on another note, can you clarify what the salary cap will be across the three divs next year? I’ve missed it exactly. I’ve been isolating...cheers
I hear you Joey and in practice, that's going to be the line from clubs that have collected junior rego fees and spent some of it, otherwise, if the cash is just sitting in a clubs bank account not spent, why wouldn't they just offer to give it back in full or roll it over and maintain the goodwill from their paying member base, in practice a lot of parents will just roll over so they must have spent a fair chunk of it to only be able to offer 60% refunds, cashflow must be very tight at Abers.

I think the issue isn't so much what clubs do or don't do on refunds Joey the real story here is how come a club doesn't have the funds to offer a full refund when they shouldn't have spent any of it? It's shone a light on the business models of some clubs who claim to be strong financially and this shows that for some it may be a house of cards.

Here is an article from the ABC before the full cancellation of the season was made, it's definitely an issue in the community Australia wide.

Extracts:

Some parents have paid hundreds of dollars upfront to cover both uniforms, registrations and insurance for their children to play club sport.

"Many clubs have already received memberships this season.

"People that have paid already are being asked to wait temporarily, to allow the system to look at the impact, but fundamentally a consistent approach to how this is dealt with is the best outcome."

"The thing to remember at the moment is that these competitions have been suspended, not abandoned, for the season," he said.

"People are entitled to a refund if the service that they paid, including the involvement of a sporting competition, doesn't take place.

If some clubs have spent the money already they won't want to see themselves go out of business (that is what the rumoured email chain that other presidents have claimed to see from Larkin at Abers stated about Abers to 3 other presidents and the EDFL) because if there's no clubs there's no competition in the future."

Families question refunds.

"For my six-year-old I've paid $400 for the [soccer] season and for netball I payed $390," he said.

"I've had communication from the clubs, and for our kids we were going to go along with it, but then with netball we got an email saying 'please stop asking for refunds'."

Mr Marsh said he had paid the insurance fee for his daughter to play netball and now the club has started chasing people for registration fees.

"We then got an invoice from the netball club asking us to pay," he said.

"You want to try and be fair and responsible, and we get that they're saying 'we're going to wait and see' [if the competition will proceed], but we haven't seen anyone from any sporting club step-up and say 'you're going to get a refund'."

Mr Marsh says although he does not want sporting clubs to fold, he wants to use the money to support his family and his parents.

"I would rather get the full refund so I can use that money to help others, including my family, by helping them get food or the like," he said.

“How does taking money off a mum and dad and giving them nothing for it get those people to come back next year?" Owen said. "By charging them something and not giving them anything, you are just adding to their stress, their financial stress. I don’t think that’s fair, I think that’s pretty awful."

“We will not be taking a dollar from our players if they don’t a kick a ball in competition. We are mindful of not damaging our association, our brand and our sport,” Noel Dona, of Granville District, said.

There is unlikely to be legal recourse for parents though:

• If cancellation occurs due to government restrictions, it is unlikely the customer will be entitled to a refund under the Consumer guarantee provisions of the Australian Consumer Law.
  • A business is still required to honour its existing terms and conditions, including in respect to cancellation and change policies. The relevant terms and conditions are those in effect at the time your customer made their booking, i.e. you cannot retrospectively change these.
  • The customer may also have rights under contract law where the contract has not been performed.
  • You may agree to another remedy with the customer, such as providing a partial refund, a credit note or voucher, or postponing the services until a later date if possible.
  • If you provide a credit note or voucher, it should have an expiration date which is long enough to allow your customer to use the credit note or voucher.

Last edited:
Some terrific points here . Interestingly , we as a competition do not have to accept the level that AFL Vic suggest we play at .
Its all in the hands of the competition and the clubs , if they want to stand up for a change .
Our destiny will be governed by our own decisions .
That's very interesting and as it stands below as you state it does allow a league to apply for its own salary cap. But this recent Herald Sun article seemed to read like there was some mandated AFL Vic State wide even national salary cap approach being pushed which would require a change to the below guideline and in turn by-laws at the various leagues.? Not sure, clear as mud?

Article:

AFL Victoria’s “statewide club sustainability committee’’ met on Tuesday to discuss the plight of community leagues and their clubs.

An AFL Victoria spokesman said this afternoon that there would be a “unified national approach’’ to the sustainability of local clubs “and what sort of downward pressure they can place on salary caps’’.

He said the AFL Victoria committee had met “three or four’’ times in the past 10 days.

“They’re not in a position to go public with any figures, but that’s close,’’ the spokesman said.

4. Affiliated Metropolitan League/Region Commission Responsibilities
Each Metropolitan League or Region Commission affiliated to AFL Victoria:
4.1. will allocate the final figure for the Club Salary Cap to each Senior Competition and for each
Club affiliate for the following Season in accordance with PSC policy, with all salary cap
allocations to be lodged with the CCSP subcommittee by 31st July each calendar year (or such
other date as determined by the CCSP subcommittee) and ratified by CCSP Subcommittee by
30th August (or such other date as determined by the CCSP subcommittee) for the following
Season.
4.2. will consider all applications from Community Clubs for the allocation of additional Club Salary
Cap in accordance with this PSC policy (i.e. applications based on unique local circumstances
under clause 6.3 of this policy).
4.3. may increase the Club Salary Cap to specific Community Clubs in accordance with this PSC
policy to manage unique local conditions and meet the needs of local Community Clubs and
the relevant senior Competitions and ratified by CCSP Subcommittee.
4.4. subject to approval of Club Salary Cap via the CCSP subcommittee, Metropolitan Leagues and
Region Commissions must communicate the allocation of each Club’s Salary Cap to each of
their affiliate Clubs for the following Season in accordance with PSC policy by 30th August in
the previous calendar year (or such other date as determined by the CCSP subcommittee).
5. Affiliated Club Responsibilities
Each affiliate Community Club:
5.1. where a player is receiving remuneration for participating in the clubs Senior or Reserves
teams, will lodge each player’s Standard Playing Contract using the clubs on line portal ,within
7 days of signing and prior to that player participating in a match.
5.2. acknowledges that if a Community Club does not follow this procedure and decides to play a
player in a match, who has not had their Standard Playing Contract lodged, that Club will bear
the risk of any subsequent enforcement penalty as determined by the relevant Metropolitan
League or Region Commission in accordance with this PSC policy.
5.3. will ensure that for each season, the Senior and Reserves team player payments does not
exceed that Club’s Salary Cap for that season.
5.4. may make an application to its affiliate Metropolitan League or Region Commission for the
allocation of additional Club Salary Cap in accordance with this PSC policy (i.e. for unique local
circumstances). The application process is to be set down and communicated to affiliate Clubs
by the relevant Metropolitan League or Region Commission.

That's very interesting and as it stands below as you state it does allow a league to apply for its own salary cap. But this recent Herald Sun article seemed to read like there was some mandated AFL Vic State wide even national salary cap approach being pushed which would require a change to the below guideline and in turn by-laws at the various leagues.? Not sure, clear as mud?

Article:

AFL Victoria’s “statewide club sustainability committee’’ met on Tuesday to discuss the plight of community leagues and their clubs.

An AFL Victoria spokesman said this afternoon that there would be a “unified national approach’’ to the sustainability of local clubs “and what sort of downward pressure they can place on salary caps’’.

He said the AFL Victoria committee had met “three or four’’ times in the past 10 days.

“They’re not in a position to go public with any figures, but that’s close,’’ the spokesman said.

4. Affiliated Metropolitan League/Region Commission Responsibilities
Each Metropolitan League or Region Commission affiliated to AFL Victoria:
4.1. will allocate the final figure for the Club Salary Cap to each Senior Competition and for each
Club affiliate for the following Season in accordance with PSC policy, with all salary cap
allocations to be lodged with the CCSP subcommittee by 31st July each calendar year (or such
other date as determined by the CCSP subcommittee) and ratified by CCSP Subcommittee by
30th August (or such other date as determined by the CCSP subcommittee) for the following
Season.
4.2. will consider all applications from Community Clubs for the allocation of additional Club Salary
Cap in accordance with this PSC policy (i.e. applications based on unique local circumstances
under clause 6.3 of this policy).
4.3. may increase the Club Salary Cap to specific Community Clubs in accordance with this PSC
policy to manage unique local conditions and meet the needs of local Community Clubs and
the relevant senior Competitions and ratified by CCSP Subcommittee.
4.4. subject to approval of Club Salary Cap via the CCSP subcommittee, Metropolitan Leagues and
Region Commissions must communicate the allocation of each Club’s Salary Cap to each of
their affiliate Clubs for the following Season in accordance with PSC policy by 30th August in
the previous calendar year (or such other date as determined by the CCSP subcommittee).
5. Affiliated Club Responsibilities
Each affiliate Community Club:
5.1. where a player is receiving remuneration for participating in the clubs Senior or Reserves
teams, will lodge each player’s Standard Playing Contract using the clubs on line portal ,within
7 days of signing and prior to that player participating in a match.
5.2. acknowledges that if a Community Club does not follow this procedure and decides to play a
player in a match, who has not had their Standard Playing Contract lodged, that Club will bear
the risk of any subsequent enforcement penalty as determined by the relevant Metropolitan
League or Region Commission in accordance with this PSC policy.
5.3. will ensure that for each season, the Senior and Reserves team player payments does not
exceed that Club’s Salary Cap for that season.
5.4. may make an application to its affiliate Metropolitan League or Region Commission for the
allocation of additional Club Salary Cap in accordance with this PSC policy (i.e. for unique local
circumstances). The application process is to be set down and communicated to affiliate Clubs
by the relevant Metropolitan League or Region Commission.
The risk here is it opens up the opportunity for the creation of a super league of some sorts

So a VFL club will be able to pay blokes nearly 4 times (400%) more to play VFL footy, and then the Ammo's will take the next bracket down as their system is set up to reward players through careers and networks and the number one thing the elite local clubs had in the EFL (some had pokies) and EDFL was bigger coin $ so the salary cap changes will disproportionately affect elite local competitions.

Messe (Same)

Excellent points made. I think blokes should strive to play VFL. Lots more commitment is required in regards travel (games and training), time, mixture of personnel, adapting to different positions on the ground, less time on the ground, not feeling really part of the VFL club as opposed to home club. These are some things young players have to decide. All cases are different, however going from say TAC Cup, to AFL /VFL preseason is an easier pathway, than say a VFL club asks a promising local/Ammo u19s late bloomer to come join. Hopefully with this season not happening a major readjustment can happened statewide throughout local footy in Victoria. I’d suggest looking what other states are doing in regards to restarting their local footy comps, might not be much but surely there would be ideas, or though I wouldn’t expect the genius AFL Victoria to look outside it’s headquarters. Ultimately $$$ will decide clubs and comps decisions going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back