EDFL Premier Div 2021

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is a huge catchment area, the problem is that people are opting not to play footy.
The problem is that unlike in previous generations very little is being done to win the hearts & mind of the next.. clubs, leagues and governing bodies need to have a good think about what they're doing to preserve the code.
Also I think the number of injuries and concussions in footy play a part in determining what sport you play. Yes it’s a contact sport but think ALL clubs are not doing enough to make footy enjoyable, safe and a friendly place. Still incidents occurring in junior sport, poor spectator behaviour, poor behaviour from officials etc, etc. Yes winning is great but ultimately at the junior level it’s not the most important thing. Just my thoughts on why numvers are declining..

torpfrom50

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond Football Club
If Melbourne goes into lockdown this week which is looking more likely tonight can the EDFL use the bye weekend in the 2nd half of the season to make up the lost games?
In the event lockdown eventuates they will have no choice but to use the bye round.
The problem will be huge numbers of players will have planned family or friend activity planned on this long weekend one would think.

The bigger challenge for the league will be if the lockdown goes over more than one weekend

azzablue16

Senior List
May 1, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
In the event lockdown eventuates they will have no choice but to use the bye round.
The problem will be huge numbers of players will have planned family or friend activity planned on this long weekend one would think.

The bigger challenge for the league will be if the lockdown goes over more than one weekend
The problem with that is abers and Strathmore are playing each other that weekend

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
How come our league is so lenient on bad behaviour. They need to support umpires and show a stance. It’s unacceptable what has happened this week.
1- Greenvale boundary umpire at junior girls game gets 3 weeks for umpire abuse.
2- Marby runner ( usually assistant coach) at junior boys game gets 3 weeks for umpire abuse. Believe both umpires were young girls.

So lenient as 3 weeks is not enough. Should be min 15 weeks (1 less than a total ban) as this behaviour should not be tolerated. How does an runner (assistant coach) behave like this? Abusing young girls trying to umpire. Absolute disgrace. I would hope a club like Marby suspends this gutless person for a good period of time otherwise it comes across as they tolerate this behaviour!!

A player gets 2 weeks for abuse and some of that is in the heat of the playing senior footy. Yet a junior official gets only 3 weeks. FFS

I see the southern league suspended a senior player for 6 weeks and a under 19 player for 5 weeks. Why is the EDFL so lenient in its punishment????

torpfrom50

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond Football Club
But they still to have play catch up on the teams they were supposed to play this week

I’m tipping postponing everything for a week and season finishes a week later

FROM THE ALV VIC COVID FRAMEWORK AND BYLAWS (although EDFL can have varied BY LAWS)
2. Impact of a COVID Interruption on a Single Round - Should an entire Round of matches be abandoned, no points or percentage shall be awarded to any team - The season shall recommence with the next scheduled round. - The season shall continue until the original finals are scheduled to commence
So if we only lose one week games will not be replayed.

3. Impact of a COVID Interruption on a consecutive Rounds - Should consecutive Rounds of matches be abandoned, no points or percentage shall be awarded to any team for the abandoned Rounds - The season shall recommence with the next scheduled round. - The season shall continue until the original finals are scheduled to commence
4. Impact of a COVID Interruption on a Multiple Rounds - Should multiple Rounds of matches be abandoned, no points or percentage shall be awarded to any team - The season shall recommence with the next scheduled round. - The season shall continue until the original finals are scheduled to commence
6. Return to Play following a COVID Interrupted Round or Match - If 1-3 consecutive Rounds have been abandoned, then the season may recommence at the next scheduled round at the discretion of the league. If 4-6 consecutive Rounds have been abandoned, then the season shall recommence at the next scheduled round following a minimum of 7-day training period at the discretion of the league but not less than a minimum 7-day training period - If more than 6 consecutive Rounds have been abandoned, then the season shall recommence at the next scheduled round following a minimum 14-day training period at the discretion of the League but not less than a minimum 14 day training period - Should the recommencement following any period of abandonment occur during the scheduled Finals Series, then the Finals shall be adjusted at the direction of the League Executive in consultation with the Region Commission and AFL Victoria

All details in this document

Come on Cents

Debutant
May 18, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
But they still to have play catch up on the teams they were supposed to play this week

I’m tipping postponing everything for a week and season finishes a week later
Might be more than 2 weeks. Any chance of a midweek round to keep the integrity of the season ?

Might be more than 2 weeks. Any chance of a midweek round to keep the integrity of the season ?

Not sure that keeps the integrity when it's a Saturday comp and you ask teams to play mid week when certain players may not be available.

And yes, they play on other days throughout the year, including finals, and I disagree with that as well, but at least players are aware of that at the start of the season and plan for that.

Iceman27

All Australian
Nov 25, 2005
Wallan
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wallan Football Club

Surely if we get back to playing, no matter how much rounds we miss, we can put an uneven fixture to the side for this year?

A compromised season is better then no season like last year.

After all, we knew at the start of the season that there was a chance of a lockdown and rounds being cancelled.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

azzablue16

Senior List
May 1, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely if we get back to playing, no matter how much rounds we miss, we can put an uneven fixture to the side for this year?

After all, we knew at the start of the season that there was a chance of a lockdown and rounds being cancelled.

They should just extend by 2 weeks and that keeps everything in the right format and fair for all and if they miss more than 2 weeks , then start dropping rounds

Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They should just extend by 2 weeks and that keeps everything in the right format and fair for all and if they miss more than 2 weeks , then start dropping rounds
The only issue is that the league has to finish the season by the end of September. Because cricket starts in October. Plus with the AFL grand final being the last weekend in September then it would have to finish the week earlier. Giving the league only 1 extra week to play. Unless the modify the finals with 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 With the 2 winners playing in GF giving them an extra week for the season and 1 less week of finals.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

I agree but think there should be no relegation or promotion if more than 2 weeks are cancelled as the season is certainly compromised. If we play finals then maybe the bottom teams can get the option to drop down and the premiers go up otherwise it stays status quo for next season. If it was an even competion then maybe but certain teams in all 3 divisions are copping 20 goal defeats so % could determine a side missing out on finals and top 4 positions ie double chance.

My North

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree but think there should be no relegation or promotion if more than 2 weeks are cancelled as the season is certainly compromised. If we play finals then maybe the bottom teams can get the option to drop down and the premiers go up otherwise it stays status quo for next season. If it was an even competion then maybe but certain teams in all 3 divisions are copping 20 goal defeats so % could determine a side missing out on finals and top 4 positions ie double chance.

this will cause issues to the winners of the lower grades Turbo, both are desperate to go up .

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
this will cause issues to the winners of the lower grades Turbo, both are desperate to go up .
Yes mate I’m sure they won’t be happy especially Moonee Valley as the Kangaroos entering div2 kind of stuffed them. Plus they are undefeated thus far. But just think it’s unfair on the clubs being relegated as they could maybe turn things around.

azzablue16

Senior List
May 1, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes mate I’m sure they won’t be happy especially Moonee Valley as the Kangaroos entering div2 kind of stuffed them. Plus they are undefeated thus far. But just think it’s unfair on the clubs being relegated as they could maybe turn things around.
I think this year unfortunately we have to accept there will compromises rounds if lockdown get extended , and promotion abd regelation has to be part of that , I went to recent craigeburn game and there was hardly anyone there , they can’t survive by staying up

Joey Montoro

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think this year unfortunately we have to accept there will compromises rounds if lockdown get extended , and promotion abd regelation has to be part of that , I went to recent craigeburn game and there was hardly anyone there , they can’t survive by staying up

yes but the answer isn’t going down again win a flag then come up again, agree? Re:cragieburn.

Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
yes but the answer isn’t going down again win a flag then come up again, agree? Re:cragieburn.
Agree this is the second time that Craigieburn have done this they have gone up and failed dismally and come straight back down it reeks of lack of planning or recruiting. They are not alone in this Jacanna did the same albeit a lower division if you have ambition of going up and staying up it then takes a Hugh a mount of planning recruiting not just on field but off field as well .If the back end is a shambles then the on field has no chance of success either

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t disagree with you re Craigieburn’s situation but if we have a number of rounds cancelled then I feel it’s unfair to relegate a club. I’m no fan of either Craigieburn or Taylor’s Lakes but just think it unfair on them if the season is compromised that’s all. It’s unlucky for those that win the Premiership in div1 and div2.

azzablue16

Senior List
May 1, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t disagree with you re Craigieburn’s situation but if we have a number of rounds cancelled then I feel it’s unfair to relegate a club. I’m no fan of either Craigieburn or Taylor’s Lakes but just think it unfair on them if the season is compromised that’s all. It’s unlucky for those that win the Premiership in div1 and div2.
Maybe a idea is shorten the normal season , have a top 6 final series and makes it a little fairer for lost rounds and they have 3 weeks to re Jig that and announce it ,

this is normal year and maybe think outside the box for this year

relegation and promotion has to happen it’s only fair all on clubs

torpfrom50

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond Football Club
Maybe a idea is shorten the normal season , have a top 6 final series and makes it a little fairer for lost rounds and they have 3 weeks to re Jig that and announce it ,

this is normal year and maybe think outside the box for this year

relegation and promotion has to happen it’s only fair all on clubs
Nice given your clubs are Avondale and Carlton i can see why you like the idea;)

On a serious note i like the creative thinking, but i have heard they must follow the COVID by laws plan submitted before season started and sadly your suggestion is not in that!

torpfrom50

Team Captain
Jan 21, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond Football Club
Copied the idea from another forum

Top Goal Kickers at each club

Matthew Watson Pacco 28
Tyson Young Greenvale 21
Athan Tsialtas Strathmore 19
Brandon Ryan Marby 19
Harrison Bult Keilor 19
Karl Brown Doutta 18
Aaron Kite Glenroy 17
Jayden Foster Aberfeldie 16
Danko Bzenic Avondale 11
John Bellino Craigieburn 9

Ladder Status

POSTEAMPWLDBFFFORAGST%PTS
1Strathmore761000911363250.9624
2Keilor761000853466183.0524
3Aberfeldie752000686438156.6220
4Avondale Heights752000630483130.4320
5Pascoe Vale743000621434143.0916
6Maribyrnong Park74300055665085.5416
7Greenvale734000590464127.1612

Can Avondale hang on or will Pacco / Marby/ Greenvale push them out

Last weekend
Avondale v Strathmore
Greenvale v Pacco
Marby v Craigieburn (this could hurt them)

This weekend coming up
Greenvale v Avondale
Marby v Pacco

Weekend after
Abeefeldie v Strathmore

Lockdown winner Avondale will turn the half way mark inside the top 4

azzablue16

Senior List
May 1, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Nice given your clubs are Avondale and Carlton i can see why you like the idea;)

On a serious note i like the creative thinking, but i have heard they must follow the COVID by laws plan submitted before season started and sadly your suggestion is not in that!
Let’s not mention Carlton I should probably change that 😉 😂

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Turbo you must have an extremely strong sadistic streak in you. That’s the only explanation for saying Craigieburn should stay up if we have a compromised season. Even if we don’t play another game Craigieburn would have to be relegated for their own good, and the integrity of the competition. In their 7 games to date they have suffered defeats of 52, 185, 112, 94, 129, 144 and 252 points. They have a percentage of 19, compared to 57 for the team immediately above them. Their reserves have a percentage of 6. The team immediately above them has a percentage of 51.

They definitely need to drop at least 1 division, if not 2. They could then try and rebuild and stabilise within the division they land in. It does no-one any good for a team to be suffering weekly floggings like Craigieburn have endured so far this season. And nothing would change if they were to stay in Premier division next season. It would probably get worse.

Taylor’s Lakes situation is obviously not as clear cut, as the gap between them and a couple of teams above them is not so great.

Jan 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Turbo you must have an extremely strong sadistic streak in you. That’s the only explanation for saying Craigieburn should stay up if we have a compromised season. Even if we don’t play another game Craigieburn would have to be relegated for their own good, and the integrity of the competition. In their 7 games to date they have suffered defeats of 52, 185, 112, 94, 129, 144 and 252 points. They have a percentage of 19, compared to 57 for the team immediately above them. Their reserves have a percentage of 6. The team immediately above them has a percentage of 51.

They definitely need to drop at least 1 division, if not 2. They could then try and rebuild and stabilise within the division they land in. It does no-one any good for a team to be suffering weekly floggings like Craigieburn have endured so far this season. And nothing would change if they were to stay in Premier division next season. It would probably get worse.

Taylor’s Lakes situation is obviously not as clear cut, as the gap between them and a couple of teams above them is not so great.
Chuck in poor old Jacana in this ring as well the least amount the have been beaten by is 150 points but credit to them they keep on turning up and play in the right way but feel for them as a club

Back